Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Palpek posted:

I played the whole series and never experienced this, weird. TR is still better in every way though.
I experienced it a lot throughout the first and second games. It was annoying as gently caress.

Combat just takes forreeevvverrr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Tomb raider had the problem that you'd be kicking hundreds of bad guys arses like crazy and basically be an unstoppable god of death reigning down arrows on those suckers but then a cutscene would spring up and you'd YET AGAIN be captured by 2 dudes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crappy Jack posted:

Despite the horrible marketing and the offputting violence, Tomb Raider is the most SJW warrior friendly game on the market, since (character death spoilers)the only survivors are the minority characters, and everyone who dies is a straight white male.

If my huge Samoan bro lives then I'll be happy

hemale in pain posted:

Tomb raider had the problem that you'd be kicking hundreds of bad guys arses like crazy and basically be an unstoppable god of death reigning down arrows on those suckers but then a cutscene would spring up and you'd YET AGAIN be captured by 2 dudes.

I dunno, don't you only get captured twice, and the second time is because you're trying to throw down with the crazy Russian shaman guy with magic superpowers and an entire army of his followers? Everything else is just plot contrivance brought about by a series of unfortunate events.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 28, 2015

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Speaking of Tomb Raider, Camilla Luddington (the VA) just had an interview about the game and upcoming sequel.

quote:

Do you know what guys make me do a lot? They say, “Hey can you reenact this scene where Alex dies?" and I always end up thinking like, “Okay, what happened in that scene?” And then I realize they just want a kiss on their cheek. That’s what happens in that scene. It’s a sneaky way for people to get a kiss.

Stay classy, gamers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sonel posted:

Daily deal is Transformers:Rise of the dark spark. Anyone know if it's as good as fall and war for Cybertron? Also the previous two games are 50% off for the daily.

No es bueno. Basically everything that makes the last two Transformers games good (a feat I still struggle to comprehend) is blatantly ignored.

hemale in pain posted:

The Nathan Drake Problem. No Drake, you are the monsters.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 28, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mutata posted:

So as an FYI, as an artist who makes video games this is literally the way characters are designed and talked about. Like, I've heard our character artists talk this way about Mickey Mouse or an ice monster. You have certain age, emotion, physical build, beauty/ugly, etc targets you need to meet while designing and building a pile of digital information that you then have to convince players is actually a real live person, so yeah you have in-depth conversations (or 10-person hour-long meetings) about what the appropriate amount of facial baby fat is to accurately communicate a certain age.

I mean I don't know if that guy is a creeper or what, but that quote is straight character artist shop talk and is exactly what character artists should be concerned with. It's literally their job.

Everyone at the company who publicly spoke about the game was a PR/HR nightmare. Normally you'd get a designer or dev making an innocuous comment about the differences in animating unique female characters (Frozen animators got in trouble for this) but the Tomb Raider people were creepy as gently caress. The entire thing started because one of the execs talked about how the players will want to "protect" Lara and how the almost-rape scenes are a big part of that.

quote:

"In the new Tomb Raider, Lara Croft will suffer. Her best friend will be kidnapped. She'll get taken prisoner by island scavengers. And then, Rosenberg says, those scavengers will try to rape her. 'She is literally turned into a cornered animal,' Rosenberg said. 'It's a huge step in her evolution: she's forced to either fight back or die.'"

And their attempt to correct it was even worse

quote:

Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics has moved to clarify controversial comments made by the game's executive producer Ron Rosenberg in which he suggested that by subjecting heroine Lara Croft to all manner of violence, some of it seemingly sexual in nature, the player will "want to protect her".

"One of the character defining moments for Lara in the game," he continued, "which has incorrectly been referred to as an 'attempted rape' scene is the content we showed at this year's E3 and which over a million people have now seen in our recent trailer entitled 'Crossroads'. This is where Lara is forced to kill another human for the first time.

"In this particular section, while there is a threatening undertone in the sequence and surrounding drama, it never goes any further than the scenes that we have already shown publicly. Sexual assault of any kind is categorically not a theme that we cover in this game.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I beat Tomb Raider and I didn't even know it had death animations because I'm really good at video games. If you're concerned about the visceral death animations, go get a new higher DPI mouse and a pair of gunnar shades and train hard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

No es bueno. Basically everything that makes the last two Transformers games good (a feat I still struggle to comprehend) is blatantly ignored.

This is because, as I mentioned before, they are not by the same developer or even in the same universe. Rise of the Dark Spark is a movie tie-in for the Michael Bay films. The Cybertron games are their own thing and not budget movie games.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is because, as I mentioned before, they are not by the same developer or even in the same universe. Rise of the Dark Spark is a movie tie-in for the Michael Bay films. The Cybertron games are their own thing and not budget movie games.

You did say that yeah, my bad. I didn't notice it between the neverending whatever the gently caress.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's a movie tie-in that has nothing to do with the Cybertron games. I think it's an Activision budget title.

Orv posted:

Thanks for saving me $25 guys. And like I said the two good ones are on sale as well if anyone is interested in those http://store.steampowered.com/app/213120/ http://store.steampowered.com/app/42650/ .

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I'm so sick of picking something up games on steam and then they have no keyboard / mouse support, figure it's time to cave and buy a controller. Problem is I'm not sure what kind of controller is best for use with my windows PC... any recommendations goons?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sinking Ship posted:

I'm so sick of picking something up games on steam and then they have no keyboard / mouse support, figure it's time to cave and buy a controller. Problem is I'm not sure what kind of controller is best for use with my windows PC... any recommendations goons?

DS4, Xbone, or 360 controller

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

DS4, if you want something a little cheaper the Logitech F310 is pretty good. There's nothing wrong with a 360 pad if that's what you want.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DS4 if you want the best option around, 360 if you want to save half the cost. The 360 controller also has the benefit of being recognized by pretty much everything straight out the gate.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the speedy replies guys... by DS4 you guys mean this? Also is wireless my only option? I sort of don't want to be springing for batteries every couple days or whatever...

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
After using the 360, DS4, and xbone controllers, I think the xbone controller is definitely worth it over the 360. I really liked the DS4, but I had 2 of them break (analog stick sensor). If it comes down to DS4/xbone well they are pretty close, I like the bone's trigger/bumpers though better. Less travel time for your trigger fingers, and I prefer feeling a more physical reaction when I hit a button. The analog sticks tend to get dirty pretty fast on the bone #justgoonthings.

The xbone costs a bit more than DS4 but it just comes down to preference at that point, I think either are better options than the 360 controller though.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...ler+for+windoes

checkstock
Dec 18, 2011

Sinking Ship posted:

Thanks for the speedy replies guys... by DS4 you guys mean this? Also is wireless my only option? I sort of don't want to be springing for batteries every couple days or whatever...

It has an internal rechargeable battery that's recharged with a micro USB cable and can connect to your PC with the same cable so you can use it while it's charging or if you don't have a bluetooth adapter.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sinking Ship posted:

Yes, it's the Dualshock 4. It doesn't take batteries, it comes with a USB charge cable.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Appreciate all the informative replies guys, is compatibility (ie getting PC to recognize a PS4/xbone controller) just a total non-issue?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Your PC will recognize it as a Direct-Input Controller, but you will need DS4Windows in order for games to recognize it as a 360 controller.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.

I've decided hover-doll is how you beat the game.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Mill Village posted:

Your PC will recognize it as a Direct-Input Controller, but you will need DS4Windows in order for games to recognize it as a 360 controller.

Gotcha. Thanks for answering my dumb questions goons.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sinking Ship posted:

Appreciate all the informative replies guys, is compatibility (ie getting PC to recognize a PS4/xbone controller) just a total non-issue?

I think the Xbone controller has native drivers on Windows (maybe only 7 and above?), but only works in wired mode.

Xbox 360 controllers Just Work, although you need the special dongle if you go wireless. It uses nonstandard wireless system, so you can't just use an existing bluetooth card or whatever.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

DS4, Xbone, or 360 controller

The Wii U pro is also a nice controller. The only problem is you need one of these to get it to work. But I prefer it to my 360 when I play a game that needs to use the D pad. The battery also lasts for around 80 hours.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I liked GalCiv I and II, will I like III, or is it yet another failed space 4X.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If I liked GalCiv I and II, will I like III, or is it yet another failed space 4X.

If you were to buy it right now, you'd find that it's basically a shinier 2 with a few extra bits. So yes, but you'd probably feel cheated. Hold off for now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

The entire thing started because one of the execs talked about how the players will want to "protect" Lara and how the almost-rape scenes are a big part of that.

quote:

"In the new Tomb Raider, Lara Croft will suffer. Her best friend will be kidnapped. She'll get taken prisoner by island scavengers. And then, Rosenberg says, those scavengers will try to rape her. 'She is literally turned into a cornered animal,' Rosenberg said. 'It's a huge step in her evolution: she's forced to either fight back or die.'"

I like how the magazine writer inserts a summary of the person saying she will be raped, but doesn't actually quote the person saying anything about rape.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

quote:

'She is literally turned into a cornered animal,'

I'm glad they didn't go with this transformation in the final product.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Is there no longer any "new releases" view that filters out Early Access titles? Neither Popular New Releases or All New Releases seems to do it, at least in the Steam client. I have the Early Access category unchecked in my "New On Steam" customization setting, but I think all that does is modify which of three loving titles can show up in the little carousel there.

This stupid "discovery" update seems to have massively screwed up their search since I think it was possible to view new releases with Early Access filtered out previously.

Orv
May 4, 2011

XboxPants posted:

Is there no longer any "new releases" view that filters out Early Access titles? Neither Popular New Releases or All New Releases seems to do it, at least in the Steam client. I have the Early Access category unchecked in my "New On Steam" customization setting, but I think all that does is modify which of three loving titles can show up in the little carousel there.

This stupid "discovery" update seems to have massively screwed up their search since I think it was possible to view new releases with Early Access filtered out previously.

I don't know what the difference between your or my settings is because the moment a game hits EA it moves off Coming Soon and into the wasteland where I have to go specifically looking for it. They don't show up in Popular or All.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Drifter posted:

I like how the magazine writer inserts a summary of the person saying she will be raped, but doesn't actually quote the person saying anything about rape.

Yeah, ha. The build up to it was pretty bad (I was skeptical of the game up until I saw actual footage) but people reporting on it didn't exactly help matters. There was a ton of stuff like this where they'd focus on the rape rape rape, guys did you know she's nearly raped, and in the game it's like welp. Just gets choked to death.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone want the Surgeon Sim DLC for $1? I have a coupon.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not technically yet a Steam game, but as this is also PC general, what would you say if I told you infinite Descent.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Orv posted:

Not technically yet a Steam game, but as this is also PC general, what would you say if I told you infinite Descent.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327880/

Now I need to invent a time machine before this game comes out so I can play it sooner.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Znae posted:

this is weird and creepy

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Steam probably make a lot of money from E.A. impulse buys they wouldn't otherwise have, so why hide it :ssh:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Movac posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327880/

Now I need to invent a time machine before this game comes out so I can play it sooner.

Sublevel Zero is a first-person roguelike six-degree-of-freedom shooter

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Orv posted:

I don't know what the difference between your or my settings is because the moment a game hits EA it moves off Coming Soon and into the wasteland where I have to go specifically looking for it. They don't show up in Popular or All.

So if you go here: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularnew&sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win

Ascent - The Space Game is not the fifth or so game down on that list? I'm not talking about what shows up on your home page, I mean if you actually go to the category pages to see all the new releases. If you could check for me I'd appreciate it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

XboxPants posted:

So if you go here: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=popularnew&sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win

Ascent - The Space Game is not the fifth or so game down on that list? I'm not talking about what shows up on your home page, I mean if you actually go to the category pages to see all the new releases. If you could check for me I'd appreciate it.

Hmmm, yeah seems I was mistaken, though I could have sworn looking at that page through Steam itself caused that to be the case. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pews posted:

After using the 360, DS4, and xbone controllers, I think the xbone controller is definitely worth it over the 360. I really liked the DS4, but I had 2 of them break (analog stick sensor). If it comes down to DS4/xbone well they are pretty close, I like the bone's trigger/bumpers though better. Less travel time for your trigger fingers, and I prefer feeling a more physical reaction when I hit a button. The analog sticks tend to get dirty pretty fast on the bone #justgoonthings.

The xbone costs a bit more than DS4 but it just comes down to preference at that point, I think either are better options than the 360 controller though.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbo...ler+for+windoes

That's great and all but you can save $30 and get an Afterglow controller for $25 or so on eBay and it'll work perfectly fine for pretty much everything. I don't know why everyone insists on people buying the most expensive stuff, particularly if they're on the fence about even buying a peripheral to begin with.

e:

Znae posted:

Helly m'baby, hello m'honey, hello my ragtime gal...

• Locked thread