Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Nevermind I found out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The answer for any question involving pumps is to just do it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Rest in peace Amostkod, you had a good run during the half hour or so you lasted for. On to the next fort!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Just embarked on a tile with a salty river. I'm trying to set up a desalination pump so I can have a clean well to drink from. I have it set up to pump from the south and have walls surrounding the output tile to keep the water in. This should work fine right?
What if I connected a waterwheel to it? Would that fill up the resevoir on the z level below the surface and stop or would it pump water up through the well and flood my fort?

While all that sounds like really neato gee whiz propeller helmet stuff, and you definitely got the best outcome possible, doesn't a well automatically make water drinkable without any of that?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

While all that sounds like really neato gee whiz propeller helmet stuff, and you definitely got the best outcome possible, doesn't a well automatically make water drinkable without any of that?

Wells only purify mud-laced water, not stagnant or saltwater.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But dwarves will still drink it :confused:

e: I mean, I'm pretty sure I don't see thoughts about nasty water once a well is installed, but I haven't looked all that closely since the new version either so :shrug:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I know access to clean water is a bit lavish, but I like to spoil my dwarves.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

NATIVE_GOLD : 178906 Z: 1..116

That'll do, random volcano embark, that'll do

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nah, that's normal. It pretty much takes a deliberate effort to get elves angry enough for anything to happen.

Out of curiosity, what exactly does happen in the newer versions? Can I incite a war against my civilization if I'm crappy enough to the elves?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Welp, my problem with the elven traders went away, because the game slowed to a crawl after that and then just crashed mere days before it would've turned to summer. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm hoping that my fram rate will go back up to ~30-40 when I start the game back up tonight instead of it being the 11 it was post seizure. I'm just pissed because I was almost done digging out, smoothing, furnishing, and designating 50 rooms for my dwarves on two levels. Why can't this game have monthly saves instead of seasonal?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flesh Forge posted:

Hopefully you have some tetrahedrite or iron. I love tetrahedrite, because you can mix it with native gold to get electrum for super cheap.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Flesh Forge posted:

Is it just like, solid gold or something? I bet the magma is molten gold too.

Make sure you gild everything. Everything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh gilding is a thing now? Huh neat.

There's a tribe of "hostile" reptile men down in the bottom layer of caverns, which - because trees are evil and this volcano is surrounded by glacier - is the only place I can let my grazers eat, but the reptile men are actually being bros and are just beating up every wild animal that spawns, so I'm getting gobs of free crundle meat.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Can somebody give a real quick rundown on how AutoLabor works? I'm tempted to become the laziest overseer for my next fort because I'm getting tired of turning off fishing for idiots and not having stuff happen because oh right nobody has that labor assigned even though they immigrated with the skill and stuff like that. DwarfTherapist is ok but I'm curious as to how an apathetic run would go.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The chain of events went something like this: I embarked on a terrifying glacier, I forgot to get rid of my starting animals so I butchered the mule and horse, then the hair (and ONLY the hair) of the dead animals animated, my furnace operator started fighting one and got an artery opened and bled out.

The moral of the story: fun comes to those who ask for it.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

I wonder if that's on purpose. Is he lying to his fellow dwarves or himself?
e: :iit:

GenericOverusedName posted:

Can somebody give a real quick rundown on how AutoLabor works? I'm tempted to become the laziest overseer for my next fort because I'm getting tired of turning off fishing for idiots and not having stuff happen because oh right nobody has that labor assigned even though they immigrated with the skill and stuff like that. DwarfTherapist is ok but I'm curious as to how an apathetic run would go.

I just discovered that you have to change the autolabor settings to make all haulers construct buildings, as the default is to have just one dwarf minimum do it. That means all constructed walls (including, say, the big wall needed to keep elves goblins out) will almost never get built. Otherwise, it seems to be doing okay.

Psawhn fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 1, 2015

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Anyone else's DF crashing pretty regularly with starter pack r4 or r5 of .24 ? It runs DFHack which I use for autolabor and things, but maybe that's causing instability?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StrangeAeon posted:

Out of curiosity, what exactly does happen in the newer versions? Can I incite a war against my civilization if I'm crappy enough to the elves?

I didn't start playing DF2014 until just the other day, waiting for bugs to get ironed out, so I couldn't tell you.

Right now I'm having trouble getting any conflict at all to speak of. I started a world with 5x the normal amount of megabeasts and 3x the usual number of civilizations, but even with goblins listed as neighbors they haven't come to visit ~3 years in.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Produced wealth and your population are supposedly the only important factors, but I'm fairly sure your nearness to a hostile site is a big deal also. When I've embarked within 1-2 tiles of a necromancer's tower e.g. I'm getting full blown sieges as soon as I have enough population to qualify. I've actually gotten sieges sooner, like within six months, but apparently if your pop is too low, the siege appears and immediately disappears again :confused:

It may be that tower siegers work differently from goblins though.

e: Snokuzoddo the Blind Cave Ogre is chilling in my rudimentary dormitory/mess hall. He She (do not misgender the broken hearted hambeast) murdered all of my reptile man bros but other than scaring the piss out of my livestock he she doesn't seem to be causing any trouble?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 1, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

:ohdear: Oh you poor thing, let me get you a nice keg of whiskey

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Flesh Forge posted:

Produced wealth and your population are supposedly the only important factors, but I'm fairly sure your nearness to a hostile site is a big deal also.

I'm well past the wealth cap, and wealth vs. population has historically been a situation where passing either counts just as well as both. Goblins were listed as nearer on the list than any neighbors except dwarves, and I've had visits from humans and elves already. It's also a 2x2 embark so it's not very likely an ambush could be creeping around the map undiscovered either.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well just to be sure, you could 'reveal' in dfhack and then look at the unit list :shrug:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What's a great way to waste a bunch of wood? Way back when I started this map, I stupidly designated the whole surface for autochopping and though I had canceled it by hitting the unmark command. It wasn't until just now that I noticed I have 9000 logs, and that's what's causing my frame rate to plummet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

What's a great way to waste a bunch of wood? Way back when I started this map, I stupidly designated the whole surface for autochopping and though I had canceled it by hitting the unmark command. It wasn't until just now that I noticed I have 9000 logs, and that's what's causing my frame rate to plummet.

charcoal

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

While you're whittling training bolts, you might as well start burning it into wood ash. Fertilize every field, glaze every clay thing, make all glass clear, turn every last glob of lard into soap. Also give up coal mining for a while, if you haven't already grasped the magma.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hell no, I save all of my lard for delicious ☼Yak Tallow Roasts☼. Use oil for soap.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Charcoal, masterwork beds/chests/cabinets for every dwarf, or if all else fails autodump and destroy.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm well past the wealth cap, and wealth vs. population has historically been a situation where passing either counts just as well as both. Goblins were listed as nearer on the list than any neighbors except dwarves, and I've had visits from humans and elves already. It's also a 2x2 embark so it's not very likely an ambush could be creeping around the map undiscovered either.

I haven't been getting any aggressors either. It's starting to worry me.

Also, why the hell do my dimple cups and dimple cup spawn vanish into the ether?!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Yes, burn it! but :ssh: that's not really what's killing your fps

StrangeAeon posted:

I haven't been getting any aggressors either. It's starting to worry me.

Also, why the hell do my dimple cups and dimple cup spawn vanish into the ether?!

For crops that cannot be farmed year-round, if you have any planted when their off season turns up, then their seeds go poof. This means e.g. if you have a crop that can't be farmed in winter, and you plant in autumn, those seeds are gonna get destroyed, so just plant them in spring/summer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well, actually ~OVER 9000~ logs might be causing some overhead, but turning it into 9000 fuel or 9000 masterwork beds isn't going to help that. I've also heard smashing stuff won't actually remove it from internal tracking either, so uh :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Well, actually ~OVER 9000~ logs might be causing some overhead, but turning it into 9000 fuel or 9000 masterwork beds isn't going to help that. I've also heard smashing stuff won't actually remove it from internal tracking either, so uh :shrug:
I've heard that smashing it with a drawbridge doesn't, but some other methods like throwing it into magma (if it's not magma-safe) do.

Using it up as ash or fuel for making other things should, hopefully, remove them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm planning on turning everything into wood tomorrow and selling it to the next caravan that comes by. Thankfully, I've already dealt with the elves for the year. I'm gonna continue making nothing but wood bolts, making charcoal with which to smelt brass bars, and making anything I can out of wood to sell as well. I also don't have the specific number, since I've just closed out my game, but I know I also have at least a few thousand stone/ore/bars sitting around as well. I've been smelting every ore on repeat up until now, and constantly churning out rock pots and crafts, but obviously I haven't been fast enough. It also doesn't help that my dwarves barely ever bring logs back to the stockpile, so I never noticed until I glanced at the stocks.

What else could be causing the lag if not the items? I've had this fort going for 3 years now, and the lag only literally started today, in the middle of winter, just as the Elven caravan arrived. It did get a bit better after I successfully traded a few dozen crafts for some food and a few caged animals, which is why I'm leaning in the direction of there being too many items.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just edit plant_standard to make all underground plants grow in all seasons.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

What else could be causing the lag if not the items? I've had this fort going for 3 years now, and the lag only literally started today, in the middle of winter, just as the Elven caravan arrived. It did get a bit better after I successfully traded a few dozen crafts for some food and a few caged animals, which is why I'm leaning in the direction of there being too many items.

This is just how it goes for me with "green" aboveground biomes, except I don't usually make it 3 years. Also if you have 9000+ items, trading "a few dozen" really should not make any perceivable difference.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Damnit... anyone know offhand what the command was to choose materials when building? It's a DFhack thing, I think?

I need some more picks but all I have right now is lead.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Select the job in the workshop to-do list and punch Alt-A.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

scamtank posted:

Select the job in the workshop to-do list and punch Alt-A.

Huh. That's what I thought, but it's not working.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Is there a way to get DFHack's digexp to use mining priorities?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I noticed that too, and no I don't think so yet but I'm sure they'll update it for that.

Apparently the 2nd and 3rd waves of migrants are no longer mandatory, I'm in my third year and still have my original 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

here is a dorf story

a human necromancer made his way to my fort

he killed and animated a dog

the dog then turned on the necromancer and latched his jaws firmly onto the human necromancer's head, and after 54 pages of thrashing around, the necromancer died

i don't even know what the hell

e: the dog's name is now "Famoussplattered"