Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Al Harrington posted:

The man looks like Jimmy Kimmel's retarded half-brother in every photo of him available, I seriously believe him to be borderline retarded.

But that is a description of a man still too smart to just up an declare that the most significant foreign policy decision of his lifetime was breaking air traffic controllers. Even people who eat paste with a passion know the difference between over there and over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I believe it's a bit worse than that; he's incapable of giving an answer to a question that he hasn't prepped for in advance.

So...not only does he not have the political chops to think on his feet, which is one thing, but given this, it didn't occur to him to prepare any comments regarding one of the bigger issues of the week. That points to a whole other problem.

A fact that his Republican opponents will exploit gleefully.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

Gyges posted:

But that is a description of a man still too smart to just up an declare that the most significant foreign policy decision of his lifetime was breaking air traffic controllers. Even people who eat paste with a passion know the difference between over there and over here.

the mud slinging among all of the clown car occupants will be especially entertaining this time

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Al Harrington posted:

the mud slinging among all of the clown car occupants will be especially entertaining this time

Yeah I can't wait for the presidential election to get into full swing for just that reason. The right has a massive crabs in a bucket problem right now and it's only going to get massively worse as the crazies try to out crazy each other and the more moderate options get destroyed by the crazies. All the tiniest blemishes are going to come out and they're all going to go over each other to find even the tiniest bit of dirt to turn into a mountain of poo poo.

The tea party crazies want the biggest rear end in a top hat the right can produce but they're not going to tempt moderates or independents by putting somebody like Cruz up. At this point I'm pretty sure Romney is their best option and I highly doubt he's electable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
CPAC straw poll results.

Keep in mind: the last time a person not named "Paul" or "Romney" won this thing was George Allen.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

CPAC straw poll results.

Keep in mind: the last time a person not named "Paul" or "Romney" won this thing was George Allen.
Is Rubio getting beat out by Santorum as eyebrow-raising as I think it is?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is Rubio getting beat out by Santorum as eyebrow-raising as I think it is?

He's had has-been status since, what, his SoTU address in 2013?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There were 3,007 total votes in the poll, so that's 129 for Santorum and 111 for Rubio.

But really, don't read much into this. The Pauls win every year and also-rans and religious nuts do poorly. The person who did best was Walker, improving to 21% over last year's 7%. That's because the only reason this poll might matter is as a signal to other conservatives for who's hot right now, and (not surprising) it's Walker.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He's had has-been status since, what, his SoTU address in 2013?

He instantly became a RINO when he tried to do something on immigration.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

bartlebyshop posted:

How good at you at taking orders and giving speeches about the need to destroy the Hated Other?

Yea. I guess the filter that prevents many from becoming a Republican governor is more closely related to morals than intellect. I wonder if Scott Walker likes turtles.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

He instantly became a RINO when he tried to do something on immigration.

And his opposition to opening Cuban relations is jarring, thus ignored by the delegation in talks now.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I hate willfully stupid people a lot. As such I would never consider being a politician.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously that list is embarrassing. I have no idea which of those losers is going to claw to the top. I would say Jeb since he's the only one that isn't a total joke but everyone seems to hate him a lot.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By way of comparison, here's the 2011 results:

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
12 % other 13% undecided, goddamn

welp it should be quite entertaining watching the debate between Hillary Clinton and Scott Walker

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

By way of comparison, here's the 2011 results:

So Scott Walker's the 2016 GOP Presidential candidate...?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I can see Ted Cruz getting the nomination before Scott Walker. Walker has zero ability to answer basic questions, and Wisconsin is loving imploding as a direct result of his policies. The minute an ounce of pressure gets put on him in the debates he's loving done.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I can see Ted Cruz getting the nomination before Scott Walker. Walker has zero ability to answer basic questions, and Wisconsin is loving imploding as a direct result of his policies. The minute an ounce of pressure gets put on him in the debates he's loving done.

You're forgetting that the strategy du jour is that dodging questions from the liberal media means you have a backbone in crazy land.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ted Cruz will never be the nominee because everyone in his own party hates him. He's the Newt Gingrich of this cycle.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz will never be the nominee because everyone in his own party hates him. He's the Newt Gingrich of this cycle.

Leader (possibly) of the civilizing forces?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Joementum posted:

The thing is, if you look at any of the Republicans, it seems like you can come up with some similar argument to disqualify them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OneTwentySix posted:

The thing is, if you look at any of the Republicans, it seems like you can come up with some similar argument to disqualify them.
Walker didn't piss off his party though. It's the party that has to pick him.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OneTwentySix posted:

Which is exactly the problem. Every possible choice they have is complete and utter garbage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Joementum posted:

Cruz is going to be amazing to watch throughout this campaigning season. It's going to be great watching him get ignored for the nomination no matter what he does because they hate him so much.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alkydere posted:

Cruz is going to be amazing to watch throughout this campaigning season. It's going to be great watching him get ignored for the nomination no matter what he does because they hate him so much.

Freepers *choral*: Goddamn the establishment RINOs conspiring to keep the only True Conservative in the primary from getting the nomination, they've just lost my vote forever!

*continues voting Republican*

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Alkydere posted:

Is there some sort of Ted Cruz Greatest Hits compilation I can read somewhere with explanations of what he did to earn the undying loathing of everyone?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OneTwentySix posted:

Yes, there's always a heresy to be found in a candidate. But this is the party that nominated a Mormon who invented Obamacare last time around, so they're willing to overlook quite a bit.

What doesn't get overlooked is when you're just a massive rear end in a top hat to everyone who has to work with you because then everyone knows you'll betray them for your own gain, so they'll go sign up to support the campaign of someone more flexible.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Freepers *choral*: Goddamn the establishment RINOs conspiring to keep the only True Conservative in the primary from getting the nomination, they've just lost my vote forever!

*continues voting Republican*

And if somehow Cruz does get the nomination, or become the frontrunner for some time, you know he'll find a way to self-destruct magnificently.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

bartlebyshop posted:

Is there some sort of Ted Cruz Greatest Hits compilation I can read somewhere with explanations of what he did to earn the undying loathing of everyone?

There's plenty out there, but just for a taste recall how his recent temper tantrum over not getting a vote on his pet "defund Obama's executive actions on imigration" bill allowed Harry Reid to get 11 additional Obama judicial nominees approved.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tomahawk posted:

You're forgetting that the strategy du jour is that dodging questions from the liberal media means you have a backbone in crazy land.

It's not the liberal media that he should be worried about. His latest disaster was from a softball from Club For Growth. If the other candidates start to support the narrative that he's dumb or unprepared, I think it'll stick in a hard way. Worse than Perry, too, because at least Perry is personable and went through some semblance of brand retooling.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bartlebyshop posted:

Just Google "Ted Cruz" and I'm pretty sure the first hit will probably be on that list. His entire career has basically been summed up as "I am Ted Cruz and everybody else sucks." He throws a tantrum whenever he doesn't get his own way and is blatantly obviously a self-serving rear end that would throw a close political ally under the bus for any reason at all. He's a tea party darling and that's exactly the problem.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

bartlebyshop posted:

He actively tries to primary his colleagues. In 2014 he fundraised and campaigned for the Senate Conservatives Fund, which ran primary campaigns against Mitch McConnell, Lamar Alexander, Pat Roberts, Thad Cochran, and several other sitting Republican Senators.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

"I am Ted Cruz and everybody else sucks."

So he's the Conservative Ted Rall?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There's plenty out there, but just for a taste recall how his recent temper tantrum over not getting a vote on his pet "defund Obama's executive actions on imigration" bill allowed Harry Reid to get 11 additional Obama judicial nominees approved.

Senate Dems find an unwitting ally in Ted Cruz

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I bet I could run against Walker, and be completely drunk as gently caress and still come out looking like a contender

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

gnarlyhotep posted:

I bet I could run against Walker, and be completely drunk as gently caress and still come out looking like a contender

I bet you'd get your rear end kicked, Walker already beat two competent opponents in his gubernatorial elections and turned back a recall attempt.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
If I recall there were a lot of voters that didn't approve of him but just didn't think his actions necessitated a recall.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

baw posted:

If I recall there were a lot of voters that didn't approve of him but just didn't think his actions necessitated a recall.

2014 wasn't a recall, though?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Yeah that was just referring to the recall. His opponent in 2014 was terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aliquid posted:

It's not the liberal media that he should be worried about. His latest disaster was from a softball from Club For Growth. If the other candidates start to support the narrative that he's dumb or unprepared, I think it'll stick in a hard way. Worse than Perry, too, because at least Perry is personable and went through some semblance of brand retooling.

On the other hand all Obama has to do is find the right way to say that he doesn't like Scott Walker and the guy is untouchable in the Republican primary. I'm sure Obama and the Clintons are currently strategizing over when and whom to come out against in order to assure the most clownish opponent for Hillary. Probably texting with Reed for tips too. If they thread the needle just right they'll be laughing their way through 2016's Cruz/Walker windmill tilt fest.

• Locked thread