Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

PJOmega posted:

And the first planet. So there can be up to 3 battles per turn. Unless I am drastically mistaken.

You are not. There is always a battle at the first planet. Warlords create a battle wherever they are.... Eldar and DE kinda rely on this, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

sicarius posted:

You are not. There is always a battle at the first planet. Warlords create a battle wherever they are.... Eldar and DE kinda rely on this, honestly.

Wait really? But can only be taken if a commander is there right?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
No whoever wins the first planet battle (which always happens) gets it. Warlord doesn't have to be there. If nobody wins the fight the planet is removed and nobody gets it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

No whoever wins the first planet battle (which always happens) gets it. Warlord doesn't have to be there. If nobody wins the fight the planet is removed and nobody gets it.

Oh snap thank you

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
One last stupid question, hopefully, before i post some game reviews tomorrow

Okay so you can have 3 battles in a given turn
First planet ALWAYS fights.
Than 2 and 3 if warlords are on different planets

Whoever has the most command icons on any given planet will win that planets resources for that turn. Warlords ALWAYS win against just units, IE no opposing boss

Fights ONLY happen on the 1st planet OR if there is a warlord present

You get other HQ units after you take a first planet, if you have surviving units. Than they are deployed with your HQ going forward from that point. They stay exhausted until the headquarters phase.
Also when deployed along side your Warlord they enter exhausted

Finally you can send units back to AFTER each round of combat basically.
So if first round your Land Raider, or whatever, is almost killed. Everyone is exhausted
Everything becomes readied and you can than retreat it if you want to correct? damage stays with it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tiny Chalupa posted:

One last stupid question, hopefully, before i post some game reviews tomorrow

Okay so you can have 3 battles in a given turn
First planet ALWAYS fights.
Than 2 and 3 if warlords are on different planets

Whoever has the most command icons on any given planet will win that planets resources for that turn. Warlords ALWAYS win against just units, IE no opposing boss

Fights ONLY happen on the 1st planet OR if there is a warlord present

Yep.

quote:

You get other HQ units after you take a first planet, if you have surviving units. Than they are deployed with your HQ going forward from that point. They stay exhausted until the headquarters phase.
Also when deployed along side your Warlord they enter exhausted

Not quite. The units that go back to HQ won't deploy with HQ from that point forward, necessarily. If you commit your Warlord to a non-first planet in subsequent turns, any of your units that survive the battle and don't retreat will stay there. So they'll only go back to HQ from a non-first planet if they retreat from a battle or are routed, even if they came from HQ.

quote:

Finally you can send units back to AFTER each round of combat basically.
So if first round your Land Raider, or whatever, is almost killed. Everyone is exhausted
Everything becomes readied and you can than retreat it if you want to correct? damage stays with it

Correct.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Mostly correct; any exhausted units (including warlords) do not count towards the command struggle.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 25, 2015

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Big thanks again!
If you could pick sky booster you start, that helps out the most over all, which would you choose?
Also how quickly should I look to get starter 2 and 3?
Ive read the starter decks are not complete decks?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Said screw it...picked up the starter and all 3 current expanions
Plan to get 2 other cores at some point but figure this is a great starting point

Question is should we just add all the cards to the decks NOW or build them up after we get more games in?
No we won't add the honor guard units, the 2-9 with the new commanders, but not going to lie. The idea is tempting just to let us see everything but seems like that might be overwhelming too

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Been listening to the Grey Company podcast for LotR, it's really great. I've also been enjoying the hallofbeorn and talesfromthecards blogs. Any other good analytical resources for LotR LCG?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Been listening to the Grey Company podcast for LotR, it's really great. I've also been enjoying the hallofbeorn and talesfromthecards blogs. Any other good analytical resources for LotR LCG?

I really don't listen to any other gaming podcasts but 'cardboard of the Rings'. I wouldn't exactly call it an analytical resource, but it sure is entertaining. I recommend the 'themurder' episode.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I listened to a few of those and kind of liked it, but the episodes I listened to fell into that same gamer podcast pattern of the hosts talking about dumb news and what they did last week or whatever for waaaaaay too long. I'll try it again, but I ended up listening to the Grey Company because after reading their silly LotR quote at the beginning they pretty much get straight to the topic.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I listened to a few of those and kind of liked it, but the episodes I listened to fell into that same gamer podcast pattern of the hosts talking about dumb news and what they did last week or whatever for waaaaaay too long. I'll try it again, but I ended up listening to the Grey Company because after reading their silly LotR quote at the beginning they pretty much get straight to the topic.

I'd agree. I listen to a whole bunch of podcasts, and like gaming. However I do not listen to gaming podcasts because there is one important thing gaming podcast hosts cannot figure out: pacing. One hour, maybe an hour and a half, once a week. No longer. Keep it moving, keep it interesting. Cardboard of the Rings certainly has issues with this, but their hosts are enduring and entertaining.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Their interview with Caleb was pretty great, I thought. Same with Magalie Villeneuve. But yeah, that aside it's pretty good background noise for doing other stuff - I've found them pretty entertaining.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
This GoT refresh, is it going to invalidate the LCG Cards? I have loving loads of it pretty much unplayed because my local group went all in on Netrunner, and I'd prefer to offload it, but if th cads are going to become invalid guess I'll end up binning the lot!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Shockeh posted:

This GoT refresh, is it going to invalidate the LCG Cards? I have loving loads of it pretty much unplayed because my local group went all in on Netrunner, and I'd prefer to offload it, but if th cads are going to become invalid guess I'll end up binning the lot!

Yes and no? I mean you could still play 1st Edition if you wanted. Make a cube out of them? I dunno.

2nd Edition is in no way compatible to 1st Edition.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh, bugger - just for clarity, we'll have three versions total, will we?

CCG / LCG 1st / LCG 2nd, right?

Because I have loads of what is listed as LCG 2nd Edition.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Oh, bugger - just for clarity, we'll have three versions total, will we?

CCG / LCG 1st / LCG 2nd, right?

Because I have loads of what is listed as LCG 2nd Edition.

CCG, which while different technically was the same mechanically to the LCG.

LCG 2nd Edition coming for GenCon (maybe?) will have different mechanics and be entirely unplayable with the LCG cards you can buy now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Gotcha. Welp, stupid me for buying too much of a game that never took off locally!

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So I'm pretty addicted to Conquest now. There is a local tournament coming up this weekend and I am considering going just to get a bunch of games in. I've never done a LCG tournament before, so I am wondering how do they run, specifically Conquest? Do you only run with one deck or two decks, timed rounds, Swiss pairing, do you do multiple games against the same person like Netrunner, and how many rounds are usually in a tournament?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone heard any more rumors about an Upper Deck VS. System LCG? I would love to play this again if it's not stupid expensive and they cull some of the broken cards

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Slandible posted:

So I'm pretty addicted to Conquest now. There is a local tournament coming up this weekend and I am considering going just to get a bunch of games in. I've never done a LCG tournament before, so I am wondering how do they run, specifically Conquest? Do you only run with one deck or two decks, timed rounds, Swiss pairing, do you do multiple games against the same person like Netrunner, and how many rounds are usually in a tournament?

Stores can make their own rules to a degree, but generally Conquest is single deck, single game, timed rounds, Swiss pairings. Round count will either be fixed or determined by how many it takes to get a clean finalist or top 8 or whatever they're doing.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
How badly would I be gimping myself if I went to a WH40K tournament with none of the boosters, but 3 core?
Also what's the best deck that can be built Core-Only? I've heard DarkEldar/Eldar.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

How badly would I be gimping myself if I went to a WH40K tournament with none of the boosters, but 3 core?
Also what's the best deck that can be built Core-Only? I've heard DarkEldar/Eldar.

Space Marine/Tau I think is the go to. No real weaknesses, strong combat potential (I've never not seen a goddamn Drop Pod Assault pull an Honored Librarian), decent economy. The real issue is that it could be so common people are meta'ing against it.

Straight out of core, DE/E is missing a lot of fat, so if you aren't playing your denial game right, you'll have a hard time against the more cost efficient factions. Orks especially will likely tear you up, since they poo poo out a ton of AOE (Kannon, Maniak, Dakka, the potential to splash Warpstorm), and you have a loooot of units with only 1-2 HP. You also won't have Klaivex to basically capitalize on their tendency to masochize themselves and automatically win you planets because you thought that a Killer Kans was enough to take the first planet. You're also missing fun/annoying cards like Archon's Palace.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

E: nvm

S.J. fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 27, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Slandible posted:

1 deck, timed rounds (55 minutes base, adjustable by up to 10 minutes either direction), the format depends on player count (and organizers).

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I tried two decks tonight mostly copied from net decks with a little tweaking, SM/Tau and Eldar/DE. Holy poo poo Eldar/DE cleaned house both games. I know both of these sets are supposed to be good, but the Eldars win everything. Command control for them and denial for the enemy, Khymera spam from the warlord and Kith Khymeramasters, and so much other manipulation from events and supports. I know their at the top, but they ran over my SM deck both when I tried them and my friend.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone played the reboot of the Shadowfist game? I'm not sure if it's a CCG or LCG at this point, but I know they had a few kickstarters for it a couple of years ago and wondered how it turned out.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What would be the best LCG to pick up for solo play. Also great if there is a way to play it on the computer.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

LOTR LCG, fellowship schmelloship, you can play this solo just fine. You can play it on OCTGN online. It's pretty awesome, although I prefer to play with 2 decks even when solo, and prefer playing 2 player because it's more interesting

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

goodness posted:

What would be the best LCG to pick up for solo play. Also great if there is a way to play it on the computer.

The only LCG you can play solo is LOTR, as all other LCGs are competitive rather than cooperative.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Randalor posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but has anyone played the reboot of the Shadowfist game? I'm not sure if it's a CCG or LCG at this point, but I know they had a few kickstarters for it a couple of years ago and wondered how it turned out.

I have, and if you have Archives you can find the LP thread I did for it. It's a straight LCG, with the minor twist that the Core Set (Combat In Kowloon) is four preconstructed decks and there's a Core Set extension (Back For Seconds) that adds two more to bring the game up to six factions. Three "Shadowpacks" are released each year through Kickstarter with cards for each faction, although I think Inner Kingdom plan to do something bigger this year for the game's 20th anniversary. A lot of the cards are reprints from the original sets and the LCG is fully backwards compatible with the old CCG cards.

If you want to know how the projects turned out: the game has a very small but loyal following, just enough to keep it afloat on Kickstarter. It's a truly excellent multiplayer game, though, and it deserves more exposure.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

PJOmega posted:

The only LCG you can play solo is LOTR, as all other LCGs are competitive rather than cooperative.

Alright that works.

I played the first scenario of Core last night and quit about halfway through after having 4 locations in the staging area and not being able have more willpower. I was playing solo with 1 team so that was probably the problem. May just have to go with 2.

I don't really want to get into all the forums for deckbuilding/strategy as I want to learn myself, but is there a deck I could put together from the core cards that would have a decent solo experience?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Location lock is a serious problem and, to a point, I'd say it's a big flaw from the early quests.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Azran posted:

Location lock is a serious problem and, to a point, I'd say it's a big flaw from the early quests.

Any house ruling I can do to fix it?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

goodness posted:

Any house ruling I can do to fix it?

I've been toying around with some house rules for solo play that try to keep the game's difficulty at more or less the same level.

There's a popular location house rule where you can have two active locations at the same time - it's normally used for 4 player games, but you could give it a try. Alternatively, if you don't want to play 2-handed, you could always bring 5 heroes. It's kind of like playing easy mode if you allow all of them to generate resources, but I've found that only choosing 3 to generate resources every round + taking the three highest threat values as your total threat tends to keep things balanced. The extra willpower will make location lock less annoying.

It's a coop/single player game, even if you want to do something ridiculous like use 10 heroes it's all fine and dandy as long as you have fun. :)

I've seen some hilariously complex house rules out there - like the Fellowship ones, where you can use 6 heroes but need to have 2 trackers that have alternating priority for threat - you also draw 2 cards from your deck and the encoutner deck. And the attack order changes depending on who has the biggest threat values - so the player CAN go first before the enemies, but it's kind of overdesigned. Some people are really annoyed about having to defend THEN attack.

Azran fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 28, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

What sphere were you using?

Try it with the basic spirit deck. If you can't make it through with that, then try to modify things. Maybe Leadership too.
Know the encounter decks and play to that. The passage through mirkwood is rather balanced with not too much of any one thing, you just need to make sure you're questing well enough to clear a location each time if possible. If you manage to clear up the location with your questing and you killed any engaged enemies last round, then you can keep the staging area clear. With more than 1 player, your draw goes up to 2, and then if you draw 2 locations, then they start to add up.

Ways of clearing landlock: Basically in the core decks you need the Northern Tracker from the spirit deck. You get 2 in the deck, so if you have both then land locking won't be a problem. Whenever you quest with a northern tracker, place a progress token on each location in the staging area.
There are cards like snowborn scout which adds one progress token hen it enters play, or in the APs there others you can tap put a progress every turn. but they are either not as reliable or are less effective.

The CORE sets have some major flaws for single play. Notably the tactics deck as it has very low willpower and works best when paired with a a high willpower deck, like the Spirit deck. Leadership is generally okay I think with willpower and fighting stuff too. Lore can't deal with enemies directly that well from what I remember, and it's not high on willpower either.
The APs help to resolve the weaknesses of the core decks so you can get some decent willpower in tactics. But all the core tactics allies have 0 willpower except for beorn i think.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I played the tactics deck so that was probably the whole problem. Will check back in after I try the others?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Azran posted:

Some people are really annoyed about having to defend THEN attack.

It's lame of those people. It would take out a lot of the challenge if you could attack first. You'd remove a third of the planning. No more having to earmark certain characters to defend or to plan if you're going to leave an attack undefended since you can take the hit. No more risk.

Maybe FFG can add a keyword for certain characters to be able to attack before the enemies, something like an ambush keyword so that scout like characters can get an attack in first, but they can only attack either alone or with other characters with the keyword. It would change the gameplay for decks built around it, but if you make those characters limited in their abilities, like attacks of 1 or 2, then they won't kill anything big and bad prior to the defend phase, and it might add some room for using Gondorian spearmen to finish them off, or for other small instant damage event cards.

Attacking first also means that the event card that lets you make an immediate attack with a single character is pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

goodness posted:

I played the tactics deck so that was probably the whole problem. Will check back in after I try the others?

If you're playing solo, you really should build your own decks that aren't mono-sphere. The tools you need to be successful in that game are spread amongst the four spheres. Tactics is really bad at questing on its own.

If you feel you're too new at it to build your own decks, I think the Leadership starter is probably the best solo? I don't know.