Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

The Chirurgeon, is it alright if I use your badass map campaign ruleset as a basis for an escalation campaign? Gonna try it out on just 2 players, but it should work for however many. I'm thinking something a bit more like Necromunda, so instead of an actual map you'd own territories that do stuff and the missions could involve chances to attack them somehow.

While I'm at it, does anyone have experience running some kind of 2 player campaign with a couple of different armies on each side? I'm trying to come up with some matchup mechanic that isn't lame and predictable but also won't involve the same player's armies fighting each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The ubiquitous Chapter Master on a bike can help.

I love that guy so much, but I need to find a new HQ for games because people get tired of him pretty quickly. T4 without eternal warrior is balls though :(

I more or less finished my Knight Paladin for the oath thread:

I didn't get to take it as far as I wanted with a less on the nose base and little crotch banner, and I didn't get any purity seals or enough markings done or any weathering at all before house of cards came out, so this will just have to do.

When I first got into 40k back in 2011, I'd just moved to Seattle and was very homesick, so the third and fourth space marine models I painted where based on a black and gold color scheme. I was going to make the Space Saints chapter and I didn't care who thought it was lame, but the models looked like rear end (black and gold turn out not to be easy colors to work with, especially when your black is paint on primer and you only have the one really bright shade of gold available). I think I could do them now after painting this model, but I really like how my Ultramarines are coming along so this will be my only tribute to homesick drgnvale.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 28, 2015

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
So I'm gonna make my Immortals with Tesla because Tesla was a cool dude and I want to salvage the gauss rods to convert my warriors with. How bad an idea is this now that Tesla is nerfed and Gauss is buffed?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Best part about Warhammer: people blowing hundreds if not thousands of dollars on miniatures only for them to be coated in an often stupid gimmick paintjob

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Captain Invictus posted:

Best part about Warhammer: people blowing hundreds if not thousands of dollars on miniatures only for them to be coated in an often stupid gimmick paintjob

:smith:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Rules question: S4 bolter with sniper shoots and hits a >T8 model...

Does it wound on a 4+ due to sniper, or is it ignored because its over double the strength?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

I like your paintjob!

But take my compliment with a grain of salt, I'm not a great artist.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

BULBASAUR posted:

Rules question: S4 bolter with sniper shoots and hits a >T8 model...

Does it wound on a 4+ due to sniper, or is it ignored because its over double the strength?

Sniper wounds on a 4+ regardless of strength. Even if it's s1 vs t10.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah, Sniper Rifles themselves are S1 aren't they?

PeterWeller posted:

No joke, I love your group's little spats in this thread.

Talking poo poo is an integral part of the Warhammer 40,000 experience.

panascope fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

It looks great to me.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

There are a lot of reasons to dislike 40k and GW, this is not of them.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
At least it's not Cowboys themed.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

BULBASAUR posted:

... is it ignored because its over double the strength?

Over 2x str does not mean anything, maybe that was old.

For example S2 wounds T5 on a 6.

You get to wound on 6s twice until you can't wound anymore, so it is less about doubling+1 and more about being 4-magnitudes of toughness greater before you can't hurt something.

You probably know this already... but:
:goonsay:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Playing new Necrons some more, I can't help but feel big blocks of warriors are a bit of a trap if you aren't running a Decurion. You pretty much auto-lose combat even to junk like Assault Marines unless you heavily invest in a baller HQ unit/end up with Zealot as a warlord trait. Wraiths are bangin though, bring more Wraiths.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Master Twig posted:

Sniper wounds on a 4+ regardless of strength. Even if it's s1 vs t10.

Cool, that makes sense. Gotta know my hams.

I just fully expect to find somebody who says it's not possible. Since you have to compare strength against toughness before you roll (and if it's a '-' or D1 then you auto fail)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

panascope posted:

Talking poo poo is an integral part of the Warhammer 40,000 experience.

Yes it is.

Master Twig posted:

At least it's not Cowboys themed.

gently caress your mother! :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hey you do what you want. I can't stop you.

I am going to say a football on the tabard is going too far though, but it's your hundred dollar robot

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
For the last few months I've been putting off going down to the FLGS for Wednesday night games because I didn't want to show up with unpainted minis. Today I went down to visit a friend and pick up some paint, and they had a tourney going on. It was a pretty good showing, every table was full - and about half of the stuff there was painted, with some armies entirely in bare gray plastic.

So, gently caress it, guess I'm going down there on Wednesday nights now.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Painted minis are more fun to play with, but playing with unpainted minis is more fun than not playing. Playing with models I hadn't painted yet helped me figure out which ones I'd be using the most, so I was able to prioritize my painting queue, and now I play with mostly painted models (at least when I play with space marines).

That's my story, hope it helps.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
This is a cool thing; absolutely nothing about it makes it worth $116 USD.

What in the gently caress. Friendly reminder: it's manufactured in a dungeon by slaves, I wish I was exaggerating.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

There's nothing wrong with that model at all and it actually doesn't resemble a penis.

When the new paint pots came out I made this:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Captain Invictus posted:

I am going to say a football on the tabard is going too far though, but it's your hundred dollar robot

It could be much, much worse.

PantsOptional posted:

For the last few months I've been putting off going down to the FLGS for Wednesday night games because I didn't want to show up with unpainted minis. Today I went down to visit a friend and pick up some paint, and they had a tourney going on. It was a pretty good showing, every table was full - and about half of the stuff there was painted, with some armies entirely in bare gray plastic.

So, gently caress it, guess I'm going down there on Wednesday nights now.

Well since you apparently know me by proxy or something after that comment about the inquisitor I painted, I assume you went to Off The Wall. The club there is trying to do more events, and the store is under new ownership (and has been for a little while now I guess), so there's much greater coordination on events and the like.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hahahaha $116 USD

How many of you guys just bought it?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

At least they didn't paint ponies on the- oh for gently caress's sake :doh:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Post 9-11 User posted:

What in the gently caress. Friendly reminder: it's manufactured in a dungeon by slaves, I wish I was exaggerating.

Not that I don't believe GW's business practices are putrid generally, but just to check, is this an allusion to the fact that it's made in China or whatever?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

panascope posted:

Playing new Necrons some more, I can't help but feel big blocks of warriors are a bit of a trap if you aren't running a Decurion. You pretty much auto-lose combat even to junk like Assault Marines unless you heavily invest in a baller HQ unit/end up with Zealot as a warlord trait. Wraiths are bangin though, bring more Wraiths.

I'd say it is still a fair trade for being the only troop choice in the game that can wreck Land Raiders. It at least forces players to not ignore your warriors like they might do a squad of tacticals who lack heavy/special weapons.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Slimnoid posted:

Well since you apparently know me by proxy or something after that comment about the inquisitor I painted, I assume you went to Off The Wall. The club there is trying to do more events, and the store is under new ownership (and has been for a little while now I guess), so there's much greater coordination on events and the like.

I was supposed to meet up to smash some Nurgle Marines today but there wasn't any room at all for a side match. Supposedly they're going to do a larger tourney in the fall and while I have no doubt they could easily get the full 26 players they said would make capacity, I'm not entirely sure there's enough room for that many.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
So if bronies stick it in their plushies, do brony hams..

:stonk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Post 9-11 User posted:

Those are the nastiest, ugliest looking wings I have ever seen on a miniature. Like wow, those are just so loving bad. The rest of the model, great, but those wings are Terrible with a capital T

Are there still companies making knockoffs of these things or did they get assassinated by GW's teams of copyright ninjas, I know there were operations making cheap clones of forgeworld models a ways back

Slimnoid posted:

Least they didn't taint real titans with that poo poo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Post good wings ITT

I just got my Dragons Don't Share in and the wings for Nathavarr are outstanding and would probably be perfect for a Bloodthirster if they're in scale with that thing

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hra Mormo posted:

So if bronies stick it in their plushies, do brony hams..

:stonk:

There's no Vindicator there, we'll never know :v:

...:toot:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Actually, unless there are multiple wings in the kit, the wings looks amazing on the other side. All sorts of ruinous power scarification.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

I was supposed to meet up to smash some Nurgle Marines today but there wasn't any room at all for a side match. Supposedly they're going to do a larger tourney in the fall and while I have no doubt they could easily get the full 26 players they said would make capacity, I'm not entirely sure there's enough room for that many.

There IS the convention hall across the parking lot, so if they got enough table tops they could just rent that out for a day. But if one thing has taught me over the years is that there's no way they'll get 26 people there--a dozen is much more likely.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Captain Invictus posted:

Are there still companies making knockoffs of these things or did they get assassinated by GW's teams of copyright ninjas, I know there were operations making cheap clones of forgeworld models a ways back

Like all good things people got greedy. Reddit had a loving subreddit devoted to knockoffs, GW legal camped it out and took down most of the decent casters. A guy called War Dream was doing perfect quality stuff only to have people blab around his contact info.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

drgnvale posted:

I more or less finished my Knight Paladin for the oath thread:

This is loving rad.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

what do you mean?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

Like all good things people got greedy. Reddit had a loving subreddit devoted to knockoffs, GW legal camped it out and took down most of the decent casters. A guy called War Dream was doing perfect quality stuff only to have people blab around his contact info.

What kind of equipment does one need to have to cast these things? How do they design them? I know nothing about the process...it feels like it would require a good starting amount of capital.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lord Twisted posted:

I mean most of them still exist, they're just harder to find.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Uroboros posted:

What kind of equipment does one need to have to cast these things? How do they design them? I know nothing about the process...it feels like it would require a good starting amount of capital.

Smooth-cast sells starter kits for about $50 and that's enough to pump out quite a lot of flat one-mold stuff like bases and the like. It's not really as money-intensive as people make it out to be, if you're just doing it for yourself.

It IS however, time-intensive to learn how to do it right. And that's the rub, really.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'll never get over the mental gymnastics it must take to steal someone's intellectual property because you're too cheap to pay what they ask for it but still somehow insist you have the right to own it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

so is there an affordable way to get my hands on 7 Ed rules? I bought the starter kit years ago and it came with a little book.

also wow codexes are $50 now wtf

e: chaos cultists look beastly, are they a troop choice for chaos now? are they just guardsmen?

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 1, 2015

• Locked thread