Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Anybody still play this? I'm real bad at it since I just got it running decently a couple of days ago, but I really enjoy choosing Knight and trundling around with a mace and shield, shield-bashing people to interrupt them and ganging up on dudes with my yelling idiot allies until they accidentally chop my head off. I use the double-headed axe for my primary so I can massacre anyone I get the drop on and so I can lop peoples' heads off right after they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Angry Diplomat posted:

Anybody still play this? I'm real bad at it since I just got it running decently a couple of days ago, but I really enjoy choosing Knight and trundling around with a mace and shield, shield-bashing people to interrupt them and ganging up on dudes with my yelling idiot allies until they accidentally chop my head off. I use the double-headed axe for my primary so I can massacre anyone I get the drop on and so I can lop peoples' heads off right after they die.

I've come back into playing this game a bit, and I have to say, the Horde modes are pretty kickass. The gameplay is repetitive, but the variety in the game itself allows for different enjoyment levels beyond the standard TO or DM game modes. Co-Op PvE is fun in this, especially since the code allows for you to carry tons of weaponry in that mode.

MAA with Quarterstaff, Greatsword, Longsword, Shield, Dagger, and Fire Pots.

It's pretty rad kiting some skeletons and then just swinging them down.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Yeah we're still playing. The patch this week actually fixed a bunch of the issues players have been having.

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
I still think about playing, but my internet is garbage right now and I work too much.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I got back into it in a big way, I've been playing for a few months now. It really is the most viscerally fun/frustrating game I've ever played.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Oh I might have to reinstall this. My game hosed up like a month or two ago and I just said gently caress it. That pve mode sounds interesting.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Just reinstalled this and its still makes me laugh like a psychotic. :allears:

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I didn't know this thread was still going. I still play this game way too much. Add me for doing dumb stuff in Chiv http://steamcommunity.com/id/ABUNCHOFCATS/

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
http://steamcommunity.com/id/blimpkin if you feel like having a hand to hold while we run and press C. Always press C.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Are you guys sure they nerfed archer? Just had 38 kills, 59 assists playing mostly melee archer.

People just aren't expecting the riposte.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Phlegmish posted:

Are you guys sure they nerfed archer? Just had 38 kills, 59 assists playing mostly melee archer.

People just aren't expecting the riposte.

They nerfed archer by taking away the backstab bonus which worked for all melee weapons including the heavy jav stab and changed how projectile flinch worked. So if you're still good with the archer weapons you can still dominate in melee since they're unchanged.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

The loving daggers own those aren't nerfed at all. Archers got nerfed but the daggers didn't.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was having trouble finding a class that really "worked" for me until I unlocked the poleaxe. I like the poleaxe a lot. It's got a great balance of raw killing power, decent reach, and reasonable speed. Also, it's fun to win at yelling while I wade into a mob of enemies hewing wildly, lopping off a head or two before I die in a clusterfuck of friendly fire that leaves several more enemies dead even after I go down. And don't even get me started on the joy of bulldozing into a bunch of distracted archers from the side :allears:

Axe knight is just fun in general. I can't wait to get my hands on the Dane axe. I just wish I could choose the war axe as my secondary to go with my throwing axes and make me Lord of the Axes.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Yeah, I've always played Vanguards but really hit my element when I started using the spear. It fits my playstyle perfectly and I started finishing in the top 3 places in the scoreboard once I got better at riposting with it. Finding the right weapon makes all the difference.

Dane axe is really fun btw. :)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think after 200+ hours of playing, Chivalry has finally fully clicked for me and I'm consistently doing well.

I'm ashamed to say it, but it took me until about level 25 to figure out that ripostes were a thing at all. Even now it doesn't always seem to work. Does anyone know the exact conditions?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

You do a riposte by attacking immediately after parrying with a weapon. It doesn't work with shields, and it doesn't work if the attack staggered you.

I'd recommend getting a friend to just practice with. Try to see how many times you can riposte back and forth in a row without loving up.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just joined some goofy pro-gamer free-for-all server for a bit, and it was just loving nuts. People were spinning like tops when they attacked, I would swing at someone's knees and he'd still somehow duck my attack while leaning backwards and turning to the side, 90% of the match was vanguards with swords or spears and the other 10% was crossbow archers. It was like a completely different, vastly worse game :psyduck:

Team objective remains a riot. I was defending the King and he put his weapon away, so I put mine away too and we fisticuffed some insolent Agatha soldiers. I uppercutted a dude's head off :black101:

Abe Frohman
Mar 1, 2005

Kirby? He'll be a fry cook on Dreamland.
Those are the best kings. Some of my favorite games have been the ones where I called out the king and eventually he gave in and went fist to fist with me.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Someday I'd love to see a game where everyone stands to the side and cheers as the two kings have a 1 on 1 duel to settle the match.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I unlocked the Knight veteran helms! They're actually sort of badass. The Agatha one looks sweet as hell if you set your armour's colour scheme to the "solid" option and make your trim gold to match it. I was looking at the DLC cosmetics and haha holy poo poo, people actually pay 6-8 bucks for some of this stuff? I guess I could see someone dropping 99 cents for a neat helmet or sword, but...

Jabarto posted:

Someday I'd love to see a game where everyone stands to the side and cheers as the two kings have a 1 on 1 duel to settle the match.

I was playing on that gigantic sprawling team objective map with the burning Agatha dudes in a swamp followed by a capture-the-flag bit, and Agatha actually managed to push us back far enough to reach the King vs. King final objective. I was in second place on the Mason scoreboard, so I just missed the chance to be King Mallgoth Terrortown, but I was pretty excited to see some rad King-on-King violence.

Then some chucklewank on our own team shot King Melodrama in the head with a crossbow several times, killing him before the Agatha players even showed up to fight. :(

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I was looking at the DLC cosmetics and haha holy poo poo, people actually pay 6-8 bucks for some of this stuff? I guess I could see someone dropping 99 cents for a neat helmet or sword, but...
I bought some skins so that I can look dumb as gently caress.

I think I can justify that by having 1776 hours wasted in this game.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Then some chucklewank on our own team shot King Melodrama in the head with a crossbow several times, killing him before the Agatha players even showed up to fight. :(
Archers ruin everything.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

:eyepop:

I've bought a bunch of the stuff too though. I've spent more money in dumber ways for plenty of other games.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just joined some goofy pro-gamer free-for-all server for a bit, and it was just loving nuts. People were spinning like tops when they attacked, I would swing at someone's knees and he'd still somehow duck my attack while leaning backwards and turning to the side, 90% of the match was vanguards with swords or spears and the other 10% was crossbow archers. It was like a completely different, vastly worse game :psyduck:

Team objective remains a riot. I was defending the King and he put his weapon away, so I put mine away too and we fisticuffed some insolent Agatha soldiers. I uppercutted a dude's head off :black101:

Playing with pubbies in this game is especially awful so I may as well friend some of you guys and learn.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/1kmonkeys/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

poo poo, and I thought I loved this game for having more than 230 hours logged.

Everyone post your level right now, mine is 39

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Phlegmish posted:

Everyone post your level right now, mine is 39

SMP
May 5, 2009

35 w/ 264 hours :smith:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

47? i think.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Speaking of skins, new weapons, helmets and maps in beta. Here's a preview of the weapons and helmets: https://imgur.com/a/taTyY

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
50 with about a thousand hours. Pepper is 45 with almost 900.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
41. 280 hours.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
The crypt mod is really making me want an action roguelike with chivalrys combat

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

lvl 30, 129 hours.

By the way, does anyone else have trouble playing the knight? It's supposed to be the easiest class, but I always do better as a vangaurd or even MAA. The knight just feels too drat slow and short ranged to capitalize on the high damage he can put out.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm a terrible king because I can never resist going all Helm's Deep in the last minute or so and leading a charge right into the enemy spawn.

Doctor Syrup
Apr 7, 2009

Roach Warehouse posted:

I'm a terrible the best king because I can never resist going all Helm's Deep in the last minute or so and leading a charge right into the enemy spawn.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Terrible kings are the ones hiding behind a wall of knights and shields with a chainmailed thumb lodged up their anus.

King Boring the Terrible

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am a really bad king that always ends up getting swarmed since I normally play the lighter classes and I have a hard time getting used to the slow combat. On Coldfront in particular I always mess up.

Robot Randy posted:

The crypt mod is really making me want an action roguelike with chivalrys combat

I've been thinking how cool it would be to have some kind of RPG built in the Chivalry engine. Someone needs to do this.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Jabarto posted:

By the way, does anyone else have trouble playing the knight? It's supposed to be the easiest class, but I always do better as a vangaurd or even MAA. The knight just feels too drat slow and short ranged to capitalize on the high damage he can put out.

I think I'm decent enough to give advice.

The number #1 thing that bad knights forget to do is parry. Don't try to hit trade, don't try to initiate against longer weapons. Try to parry and depending on your weapon, riposte.

Sword of War is a easy starter weapon for squires, all you really need to learn at first is how to stab riposte. The stab riposte is fast, damaging and you can combo to overhead from it.

Against lighter classes (M@A & archer) make use of the incredibly fast lookdown overheads. Against the dodgy M@A who think they are hip by spamming side dodges, don't be afraid to use slashes and slash ripostes.

Knight isn't as easy as people make him to be. He's just the most simple one to play, thanks to the lack of any kind of special (the increased stamina is a lie).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

As someone who often plays melee archer I can confirm that the overhead riposte from the heavy classes is deadly. You have almost no time to block and even if you do you will die unless you're blocking at exactly the right angle. I don't understand why they don't all constantly use it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Jabarto posted:

Haha, I actually managed to orchestrate a king duel just now. The two kings just duked it out in while everyone else stood to the side and punched each other to death. I'll have to upload the video capture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
In honor of the recent patch (which, I dunno maybe might have done some things), I bump this thread to also mention my new USA based Horde Sandcastle Server.

Horde Sandcastle is a PvE mod for Chivalry, that's hard as gently caress, where basically you defend your castle from the Agatha bots. There's peasants, skirmishers, archers, and tank classes to fight you, and it's hard as poo poo. Did I mention this mod is unforgiving?

206.221.184.242:7777

http://horde-sandcastle.github.io/index.html

quote:

Horde Sandcastle is a map for the game Chivalry Medieval Warfare. It is offered for free on the Steam Workshop page.
Sandcastle is a Horde Mode map which allows you to take advantage of several castle defenses against the ruthless hordes of Agathians eager to revenge their king. Use several types of burning pots to cook your enemies, impale them with the movable spikes, blast them with portable barrel bombs, shoot them with ballistae... You play as a Mason in coop with fellow players against Agathian bots (pure PvE). The AI is partly enhanced, so they might be more witty than you expect.

Sandcastle features basic RPG elements by allowing the player to upgrade his character. For instance, you can buy weapons of any kind. Almost all of the vanilla Chivalry Weapons are available. In addition, you are able to purchase special modified weapons. These are generally more expensive and powerful like the crossbow which shoots ballista bolts.

You pay the upgrades with score you earn by completing quests which more or less occur randomly during the waves or by fending of the enemies. The stronger the enemy the more score you gain. Stronger enemies occur with more likely on higher waves. So the top priority is to stay alive. The character upgrades help you to survive as the enemies become tougher.

The only other two servers are in the UK and Netherlands so I'm bringing this stateside.

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 10, 2015

• Locked thread