Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, that infect mirror was just gravy to watch. :allears:

If I ever get into modern proper, I'll definitely be playing infect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What's the most fun duel deck for a beginner? I don't have any paper cards and want to try it with a friend who hasn't played before. Having usable card to start of a reject rare style cube would be a bonus too. At the moment I'm thinking of phrexia vs coalition

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Aleksi Briclot, my favorite artist, is gonna be at GP Miami, and I can't be there...

:negative:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pointsofdata posted:

What's the most fun duel deck for a beginner? I don't have any paper cards and want to try it with a friend who hasn't played before. Having usable card to start of a reject rare style cube would be a bonus too. At the moment I'm thinking of phrexia vs coalition

Definitely not that one, it's super unbalanced. Honestly I think you're OK with any duel deck except that one or Knights vs Dragons, which is also unbalanced.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chamale posted:

Definitely not that one, it's super unbalanced. Honestly I think you're OK with any duel deck except that one or Knights vs Dragons, which is also unbalanced.

Knights vs Dragons has the best card ever made Knight Exemplar so you should get it on principle.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

pointsofdata posted:

Speed vs Cunning is alright, though Arcanis being one of Cunning's big bombs is a little annoying considering how much mana you need to hold up to drop and then protect/bounce him. Otherwise, pretty fun!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The best overall balance alongside fun cube cards I would say is Izzet VS Golgari.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Knights vs Dragons has the best card ever made Knight Exemplar so you should get it on principle.

That is such an intensely bullshit card, i remember it from one of the Duels games

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AceClown posted:

Waaaay back in the day I remember vividly the local DnD grog buying one booster pack, pulling a Shivan Dragon chopping that fucker up with a set of scissors and shouting "NOW CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS lovely FAD AND GET BACK TO REAL GAMES PLEASE"
Hahaha, this is just precious. I'd bet :20bux: he threw a similar fit about 3e and then 4e.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

pointsofdata posted:

That is such an intensely bullshit card, i remember it from one of the Duels games

I'm aware. It's the best.

The best.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I'm aware. It's the best.

The best.

Knight tribal modern deck. A bunch of clone effects, some other knights and stuff to fill out the one and two slots, and supreme verdict.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Apparently a local game store has boosters for Khans that are like 3.68, instead of 4.00 or whatever. Is there any risk there of this box mapping thing i'm hearing about? If I want to buy boosters, is it safer to just get a fat pack? Don't want to spend the scratch for a full booster box, but I do want to crack some packs. I haven't been to this particular location yet but a friend of mine said the guy working there was kind of a jerk so I'm a bit suspicious.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Dohaeris posted:

Apparently a local game store has boosters for Khans that are like 3.68, instead of 4.00 or whatever. Is there any risk there of this box mapping thing i'm hearing about? If I want to buy boosters, is it safer to just get a fat pack? Don't want to spend the scratch for a full booster box, but I do want to crack some packs. I haven't been to this particular location yet but a friend of mine said the guy working there was kind of a jerk so I'm a bit suspicious.

$3.68 isn't really a deal, so I wouldn't be afraid of getting scammed. I haven't heard of anyone being able to map Khans boosters.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a terrible deal anyway. What do you want the boosters for?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Holy poo poo. Jace, Architect of Thought on camera! :wow:

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah that's a terrible deal anyway. What do you want the boosters for?

I'm fairly new and want to bolster my cards for kitchen table funtimes with roommates. The fat pack seems tempting if just for the storage box. I got the Deckbuilder's Toolkit and have purchased some specific things to make a halfway decent UB Control deck. It's not that much of a discount, but still a slightly better deal than a fat pack. However, fat pack gets me the decent storage box.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
2.99 for a booster at a specialty shop is not unusual. 3.99 is just the non-specialty retail price, so like Walmart and poo poo.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Holy poo poo, the top deck wars are real.

edit: And get realer.

edit: Holy poo poo.

Sultai Thragtusk, Abzan Siege Rhino, Sultai Damnation, Abzan Goyf, then Sultai Sower of Temptation.

All finally ended with Abzan pulling a land.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 28, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ramos posted:

That was a pretty awesome game.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Ramos posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty entertaining game! Bomb after bomb after bomb.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

So this is what Patrick Chapin was talking about when he said that Pro Tours are bad for Modern, but GPs and Opens are good for it. This has been a pretty great tournament so far.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fish Of Doom posted:

So this is what Patrick Chapin was talking about when he said that Pro Tours are bad for Modern, but GPs and Opens are good for it. This has been a pretty great tournament so far.

Maybe it's the solid commentary but yeah, I'm enjoying watching this way more than I usually do watching Modern.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Speaking of booster chat, I didn't miss out by not buying any M12 boosters at $4 a pop, right? A store in a nearby mall found a box while moving across the mall and had them for sale, but I don't think there are any chase rares in that set besides Prime Time and OG Sorin.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of booster chat, I didn't miss out by not buying any M12 boosters at $4 a pop, right? A store in a nearby mall found a box while moving across the mall and had them for sale, but I don't think there are any chase rares in that set besides Prime Time and OG Sorin.

Quicksilver Amulet :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Temur Moon undefeated after 8 rounds. This format: truly swimming in a pool of Goyfs. :negative:

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.

AlternateNu posted:

Temur Moon undefeated after 8 rounds. This format: truly swimming in a pool of Goyfs. :negative:

temur moon owns and there's more tech to the deck than "blue moon + goyf" if that's what you're saiyan

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Girlfriend and I both grabbed a fat pack. I got a Polluted Delta and so did she. However, she also got a foil Windswept Heath. I now have four polluted deltas for this UB control I've been building after trading roommates and girlfriend.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Aisar posted:

temur moon owns and there's more tech to the deck than "blue moon + goyf" if that's what you're saiyan

If by "more tech" you mean "Nature's Claim" then sure, I guess.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

Dohaeris posted:

Girlfriend and I both grabbed a fat pack. I got a Polluted Delta and so did she. However, she also got a foil Windswept Heath. I now have four polluted deltas for this UB control I've been building after trading roommates and girlfriend.

Sounds like a good trade

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Mondrian posted:

Sounds like a good trade

Who needs roommates and girlfriends when you can build a sweet UB control deck instead?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Lobsterpillar posted:

Who needs roommates and girlfriends when you can build a sweet UB control deck instead?

Misworded, I traded other stuff for my deltas. She still has her foil. Has no idea what to do with it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Dohaeris posted:

Misworded, I traded other stuff for my deltas. She still has her foil. Has no idea what to do with it.

I'd hold foils, personally. Its what I'm doing with my foil Delta.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Rimusutera posted:

I'd hold foils, personally. Its what I'm doing with my foil Delta.
In a couple years, some is going to want to bling out their modern deck or cube or whatever, and is going to be willing to pay quite a premium for it. No real reason to sell it right now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Each booster pack should include a morph/manifest overlay. It's such a messy mechanic when you don't have them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I honestly never understood why they don't just sell small 'token packs' or something, little set packs with stuff like 'this pack has a bunch of the 1/1 commonly used tokens, this one has an assortment of animal tokens, here's just a few overlays!" Like, am I just missing where they actually do this or do they intentionally make it as annoying as possible?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I've never had trouble finding tokens I think it would be really dumb if they sold something they currently give away for free. I can understand maybe like a year ago when it was hard to track down some Wurmcoil Engine tokens or whatever, but that would happen too if they printed them for standard, eventually you'd be chasing down OOP tokens.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I just like to collect the poo poo out of token cards.

I am unreasonably distressed I am missing Bitterblossom's Faerie Rouge. Or that I lack the 1/1 red elemental for Young Pyromancer. And if you tell me Marath's Elementals don't have a card I'll probably start crying.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I've never had trouble finding tokens I think it would be really dumb if they sold something they currently give away for free. I can understand maybe like a year ago when it was hard to track down some Wurmcoil Engine tokens or whatever, but that would happen too if they printed them for standard, eventually you'd be chasing down OOP tokens.

I mean you could always make your own.

I currently need stupid goofy pictures of fish or merpeople for Master of Waves tokens, anybody got some suggestions for a good source?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

I currently need stupid goofy pictures of fish or merpeople for Master of Waves tokens, anybody got some suggestions for a good source?

The goofy fish from Mario, and frog suit Mario for the merpeople. The more pixelated the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I just like to collect the poo poo out of token cards.

I am unreasonably distressed I am missing Bitterblossom's Faerie Rouge. Or that I lack the 1/1 red elemental for Young Pyromancer. And if you tell me Marath's Elementals don't have a card I'll probably start crying.

Hate to do this but...

Marath Tokens don't exist. :smith:

Also I would love it if they sold supplemental stuff (tokens, spindowns, land packs, Planechase Planes, Planar Die, etc.) through an online store or something but they just won't do it. Obviously I don't want them to remove tokens from packs to sell them separately but selling packs of them for like $2 would be cool.

• Locked thread