Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Thanks for lovely weather that clouds over on the 60km trip down the freeway. Although 10km out from the airport a Globemaster III looks loving huge in the sky, I want to see a C5.

As I arrived after it started I just sat at the end of the runway with like 50 other people and saved myself $60.

RAAF P2 Neptune by drunkill04, on Flickr

F-16 Black Knights by drunkill04, on Flickr

F-16 by drunkill04, on Flickr

B-52H by drunkill04, on Flickr

B-52H by drunkill04, on Flickr
At least I got to see a B52 'close (and) up' though

drunkill fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So this was apparently a thing. Several things, in operational service, in fact.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SyHopeful posted:

So this was apparently a thing. Several things, in operational service, in fact.

Going back into 'poo poo I remember my father talking about,' there was a plan to put twin forward-firing .50cals and even racks for Sidewinders on the Navy -46s at one point (because why the gently caress not, I guess), but then people realized that was just a really good way to add extra weight to a helicopter that had no business carrying anything but men and materiel.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
That will probably always be a thing. In the natural recirculation of mission needs and equipment availability you'll always fall into the cycle of having a helicopter that can lift stuff, stapling guns on to it to fill a cca need, adding armor and crew protection and crash survivability, redesigning the airframe for the specialized mission (attack), etc. I'd love to beat on a chinook gunship for fun, so much powa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WttpWwcSjy4
Guns a Go Go! I think the specified engine power in this video for both engines together is about what a single chinook engine puts out now. :lol:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

drunkill posted:

Thanks for lovely weather that clouds over on the 60km trip down the freeway. Although 10km out from the airport a Globemaster III looks loving huge in the sky, I want to see a C5.

As I arrived after it started I just sat at the end of the runway with like 50 other people and saved myself $60.

I headed out there today and got mildly sunburnt through the clouds... There was a B52 on the ground too down with the other heavy aircraft, much smaller up close than I was expecting, the Black Knights (Singapore F16s) were one of the best bits I reckon and you could probably see as much of their show as anyone else.

I'm dumb and which fighter is this? Looked vaguely like a F4 to me but I knew the intakes weren't big enough.

Here's a couple of the older planes my phone didn't take completely poo poo photos of:

Spitfire:

RE8

Assorted WW1 German planes:

See also a F35 assaulted by it's worst enemies, light rain and children:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm dumb and which fighter is this? Looked vaguely like a F4 to me but I knew the intakes weren't big enough.

BAE Hawk/T-45. I just noticed they do kind of look like babby F-4s, but like you said Phantoms are much larger.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Previa_fun posted:

BAE Hawk/T-45. I just noticed they do kind of look like babby F-4s, but like you said Phantoms are much larger.

Thanks, turns out it's a Hawk 127. I saw your reply and looked up the T-45 first which had a shorter nose, so I looked at my photo again and read A27-20 near the tail which lead me to find out it's a Hawk 127 (or I could have just visited the Hawk wikipedia page too where it's listed as a RAAF aircraft).

Seems that the RAAF uses as them as trainers for F/A-18 pilots before they are allowed near the real planes.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Actually it isn't (e: a T-45), and the T-45 isn't really a Hawk any more (though it was developed from the Hawk 50)

I was going to say that looked like a Hawk 132, but since it's RAAF, it has to be a Hawk 127

E: beaten, have he world's cutest jet trainer, the Mitten, instead

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 28, 2015

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SyHopeful posted:

Pffft, it gets even better.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=AD0750150

Those are two 105mm howitzers. Two 105mm autoloaded howitzers that can be fired in flight.

Pity it never flew.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 28, 2015

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

That's not a spit. If I'm not mistaken that's a P-40 warhawk.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Colonel K posted:

That's not a spit. If I'm not mistaken that's a P-40 warhawk.

Oops, I have two green planes with teeth so I chose the better shot, looking again the shittier photo is the spitfire with the typical two cannons on it.

The spitfire was in the same lineup, might be the plane to the right of that shot.

e: I'm not good at identifying aircraft if you weren't able to tell yet :v:

Google finished perving over my backed up photos and made an automatic panorama for me of a Global Hawk and 2x F22s so here:

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Feb 28, 2015

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I just like :britain: tailwheels

I never realised how big the global hawk is..

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Colonel K posted:

Not :britain:, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40_Warhawk

There's one at my airport. Bastard also has a texan, a beech staggerwing, and several RVs in the hangar.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If we're going to be technical, it is probably most accurate to refer to it as a Kittyhawk

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Fun fact about that Global Hawk, it was the first time in the world to land outside of a military airport for this weeks airshow, it also landed with civilian ATC.

Avalon is a civilian airport although used by only one (budget) airline. Point Cook airbase is ~20km up the road and is the oldest continously operating military airfield in the world.
http://app.pddnet.com/news/2015/02/af-marks-first-rq-4-non-military-base-landing

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Gervasius posted:

Pffft, it gets even better.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=AD0750150

Those are two 105mm howitzers. Two 105mm autoloaded howitzers that can be fired in flight.

Pity it never flew.

"Vibratory" just makes me think they wanted to strap two giant dildos to it. Which I guess was kinda true, really.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

simplefish posted:

E: beaten, have he world's cutest jet trainer, the Mitten, instead

That's... that's actually pretty cool looking.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

charliemonster42 posted:

Not :britain:, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-40_Warhawk

There's one at my airport. Bastard also has a texan, a beech staggerwing, and several RVs in the hangar.

The spit is, which is what I was referring to.

Sounds like a lucky chap, if I had silly money I'd have a staggerwing for touring around in, A P51 for warbird fun and a husky for off field.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

As far as the deploying thing goes: Major systems like aircraft don't necessarily rotate in and out with every unit, they stay in the fight for as long as the engineers determined they can be ridden hard before needing a reset at a higher level maintenance facility back in the states. Every time I've deployed we've either given all of our aircraft and major support equipment to another unit before leaving, or taken our stuff down range and left it there for the next guy.

Huh, I've heard from multiple people who should know that with RPAs specifically (Grey Eagle, Shadow, etc) the equipment rotates out with the unit. Interesting.

Colonel K posted:

Wingspan is just a bit longer than a 757.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It probably depends on the system, location, and rotation schedule.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Huh, I've heard from multiple people who should know that with RPAs specifically (Grey Eagle, Shadow, etc) the equipment rotates out with the unit. Interesting.

Wingspan is just a bit longer than a 757.

Global hawk is basically an unmanned U-2 so it's a similar size. Hard to get scale on something from pictures if it doesn't have a cockpit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

drunkill posted:

Fun fact about that Global Hawk, it was the first time in the world to land outside of a military airport for this weeks airshow, it also landed with civilian ATC.

Did they say this explicitly? I was at the Melbourne Air Show last year (Melbourne, Fl, that is) and they had one at Melbourne International where the show was.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Godholio posted:

It probably depends on the system, location, and rotation schedule.

Correct answer. And especially with UAS where the primary operators of the system might not be the property owners, it's more complicated than might be immediately apparent. I've seen examples like an aviation brigade at a FOB with an airfield housing, maintaining, and doing the launch/recover cycle on tail numbers that they don't own. When an aircraft has 24 hours of endurance a larger, non-owning unit can gas it up, launch it, fly it toward the owning unit who will take over operation in the air, they'll fly it for half a day, then give it back to the unit with the airfield to land and maintain it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel K posted:

Yeah, the first time you see one in person it's pretty impressive.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Bedded down in the Norfolk area for some training this weekend. gave some tours where we could. Here is a section of our aircraft departing out of an airport here. I'll have some solid gopro footage from some low level routes here in a few days when I get some time to upload them!

MV22B departure: http://youtu.be/dlSJL2nMZcA

This link should work. I'm doing this all from my phone so I hope it works.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

That prop is mesmerizing. Would love to see it slowly rotating.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

That will probably always be a thing. In the natural recirculation of mission needs and equipment availability you'll always fall into the cycle of having a helicopter that can lift stuff, stapling guns on to it to fill a cca need, adding armor and crew protection and crash survivability, redesigning the airframe for the specialized mission (attack), etc. I'd love to beat on a chinook gunship for fun, so much powa!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WttpWwcSjy4
Guns a Go Go! I think the specified engine power in this video for both engines together is about what a single chinook engine puts out now. :lol:

:france:

As I recall the armament for the H-34 Pirates varied, but tended to generally be a 20mm MG-151 cannon firing out the cargo door, two .50 cal machine guns behind it, sometimes a .30 on the starboard side, various amounts of 37mm or 68mm rocket pods, plus Bazookas on a mount that could be rotated for in-flight reloading. Some also had racks for light aircraft bombs and fixed-forwards guns.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

vessbot posted:

Chinook ain't got nothing on the K-Max

While intermeshing rotors are always a bit 'wtf' worthy, the K-max pales to the Kellett XR-10, the only intermeshing rotor helicopter that bothered to try having more than 2 blades per rotor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl9IiVf4Vs0

C.M. Kruger posted:

As I recall the armament for the H-34 Pirates varied, but tended to generally be a 20mm MG-151 cannon firing out the cargo door, two .50 cal machine guns behind it, sometimes a .30 on the starboard side, various amounts of 37mm or 68mm rocket pods, plus Bazookas on a mount that could be rotated for in-flight reloading. Some also had racks for light aircraft bombs and fixed-forwards guns.

Of course, the problem with the H-34 was that it was let down by it's engine. The UK licensed version - the Westland Wessex, was a much longer lasting helicopter (only retired in 2003) since it's turboshafts gave it range and speed comparable with the UH-1. We never tried fitting it into a gunship afaik though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Is there some sort of advantage with meshing rotors or did the engineering team just want to see if they could pull it off?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Splode posted:

Is there some sort of advantage with meshing rotors or did the engineering team just want to see if they could pull it off?

Not my forte, but I would gander to say the advantages of having a dual rotor system (ala Chinook) but on a smaller air frame. Basically, more lift, and counter rotating cancels out the torque effects so you don't need a tail rotor.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Another thing that the synchrotor avoids is this issue:

Phanatic posted:

The blade that's moving forward has a higher airspeed than the blade that's moving backwards. So the advancing blade generates more lift. At some point, as the helicopter's forward speed increases, you reach a point where the retreating blade has an airspeed of zero and thus generates zero lift.

This is called retreating blade stall. It's Bad. You can delay its onset by articulating the rotor blade and allowing it to change pitch as it advances/retreats, but this only works until a certain blade angle at which point it stalls because it exceeds the critical angle for that blade. When the retreating blade starts to stall, the aircraft wants to roll and pitch up. Pitching up makes it slow down. Rolling it will eventually cause it to fly into the ground. Either of these two conditions represent some pretty hard speed limits, and both are decidedly subsonic.

In unrelated news, here's something cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYb68qXpD0

It looks more plausible than the Moller skycar because it doesn't try to be VTOL with ducted fans.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

Cat Mattress posted:

Another thing that the synchrotor avoids is this issue:

In unrelated news, here's something cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYb68qXpD0

It looks more plausible than the Moller skycar because it doesn't try to be VTOL with ducted fans.

I always wonder how much insurance would cost on a flying car. It's not like a regular car where someone rear ending, or dinging, it can cause a control surface and engine failure plus the cost of re-certifying the airplane.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Bob A Feet posted:

Bedded down in the Norfolk area for some training this weekend. gave some tours where we could. Here is a section of our aircraft departing out of an airport here. I'll have some solid gopro footage from some low level routes here in a few days when I get some time to upload them!

MV22B departure: http://youtu.be/dlSJL2nMZcA

This link should work. I'm doing this all from my phone so I hope it works.

I heard two of these fly by overhead ~10 miles away from Moffett Field a few weeks ago. I didn't even look up at the first one, they sounded a lot like a normal light aircraft when flying in airplane mode. They're a lot bigger than I thought, I always mentally compared the pictures to normal helicopters.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ospreys IRL are like B2 bombers. Never what you'd expect, much more of a sci-fi vibe.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I always find it weird that the Ka-50 which is a relatively tamer co-axial rotor system has more problems with rotors smacking each other than the K-Max.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Not entirely sure but it looked like an AN 124 was flying into SEATAC just now. Where do you guys normally look to find out what just came in?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
https://www.flightaware.com

EDIT: Here's your guy: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ADB2996/history/20150301/2000Z/KLCK/KSEA

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Yep, that's him.

We were headed back into the city from alkai beach and I know the approach for seatac from ground level pretty well from Boeing field's and just saw this big rear end, high wing, multi-engine thing lumbering in from up north. My poor girlfriend had to suffer through the "is that a.... I'll be damned, I think is! Wonder what he's doing here?" external internal monologue for a good 5-10 mins. :v:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

Not entirely sure but it looked like an AN 124 was flying into SEATAC just now. Where do you guys normally look to find out what just came in?

There's been AN-124's showing up at SEATAC for a few weeks now (they usually stay for a day or two before leaving), but I've never seen anything explaining why they're coming into Seattle.

I know that Boeing has hired AN-124's to carry parts for the 747-8 and 787 before, but I'd think that would mean flying into BFI or Paine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Eej posted:

I always find it weird that the Ka-50 which is a relatively tamer co-axial rotor system has more problems with rotors smacking each other than the K-Max.

Price you pay for being one of the few rw pilots with an ejection seat.