Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
I'm grinning from ear to ear, christ this was such a hilarious fuckup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

serious gaylord posted:

It'll be really funny if Stannard outsprints them tho.

Just reposting because im still laughing.

They look so pissed off on the podium.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

serious gaylord posted:

Just reposting because im still laughing.

They look so pissed off on the podium.

I felt like an idiot posting the same thing when Boonen took off

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

I felt like an idiot posting the same thing when Boonen took off

What was their DS telling them to do? It was like he was completely okay with them giving him a free ride for 20km.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

serious gaylord posted:

What was their DS telling them to do? It was like he was completely okay with them giving him a free ride for 20km.

I was guessing 40k earlier.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Here's the final 10 km if you want to watch again (or missed it, like me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRSisiaC9A

Amazing stuff. What a comedy of errors

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Smirr posted:

Here's the final 10 km if you want to watch again (or missed it, like me):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQRSisiaC9A

Amazing stuff. What a comedy of errors

For a team who's always talked about for it's racecraft that was very bad

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Can't wait to see the highlights, it sounds bloody marvellous.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Make sure you watch from 50-60k to go.

Also,

“It hurts, that’s true,” Lefevere said. “I can’t blame the team for anything. I’m proud we added colour to the race. We’re ready but it’s very hard to win. With Stannard on the wheels for thirty kilometres everybody was getting nervous. Maybe they made a couple of mistakes but we decided the race. We excelled as a team.”

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hes a bloo bloo blooing because Stannard didnt ride on the front which is absolutely hilarious. You really do need to watch from 30k out because as soon as those 4 got away I was expecting them to attack and attack until Stannard couldnt respond anymore, but no, they just let him ride at the back. Absolute farce of a DS.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

That was a clusterfuck for QS. Good on Stannard. People in the cafe I was watching with were banging the tables in frustration as Boonen collapsed.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I can always tell it was a race morning when I wake up to 50+ new posts in the bike thread.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

Their tactics were basically perfect they just weren't strong enough to do it. They pulled a Schleck brothers.

serious gaylord posted:

Hes a bloo bloo blooing because Stannard didnt ride on the front which is absolutely hilarious. You really do need to watch from 30k out because as soon as those 4 got away I was expecting them to attack and attack until Stannard couldnt respond anymore, but no, they just let him ride at the back. Absolute farce of a DS.
This would have been loving retarded as the chasing group would have just caught up then. Have to wait to the very end to start doing 1-2 attacks etc. Ideally the moment Stannard gets back on Boonen's wheel the next rider goes and has the win in the bag but I'm sure the guileless Brit is on that Team Sky doping and took a few puffs of his inhaler.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
poo poo result vs hilarious result. im conflicted on how to feel.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That was amazing, can't believe they hosed that up.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

Their tactics were basically perfect they just weren't strong enough to do it. They pulled a Schleck brothers.

This would have been loving retarded as the chasing group would have just caught up then. Have to wait to the very end to start doing 1-2 attacks etc. Ideally the moment Stannard gets back on Boonen's wheel the next rider goes and has the win in the bag but I'm sure the guileless Brit is on that Team Sky doping and took a few puffs of his inhaler.

It might have worked if one of their own riders didn't cover the 2nd attack after Stannard got back on Boonens wheel. Or you know, they could have just set Boonen up for a sprint which he more than likely would have won too. But no, they let Boonen go off and kill himself then cover their own attacks.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Sending a QS off the front a lot earlier would have forced Stannard to work at least a bit. Perhaps then the chasing G2 would have caught up with them but with a rider up the road they'd have no reason to turn a pedal. Stannard and *QSRider* would eventually get caught and they'd have 3 fresher QS riders to attack with.

Their race craft was lacking, with cross winds on the cobbles they rode the middle of the road giving Stannard plenty of room to draft how he wanted. The echelon should have had the 3rd rider right up against the dirt forcing Stannard to choose between the wind or mud. Can't be giving away presents like that and expecting to win races.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Paddyb posted:

Make sure you watch from 50-60k to go.
Finally have time to watch this, but I can't find anything on the tube. What's the best place to find proper highlights like that, not a 4 minute recap?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Xabi posted:

Finally have time to watch this, but I can't find anything on the tube. What's the best place to find proper highlights like that, not a 4 minute recap?

Cyclingtorrents.nl is probably the best place other than YouTube

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I love that Boonens decided to take the peloton apart at 70km to go.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Boonen is loving pissed about yesterday haha.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Well they're never getting caught in this wind.

Mtn Qbeka winning tactical screwup of the day so far

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Well they're never getting caught in this wind.

Mtn Qbeka winning tactical screwup of the day so far

Cofidis sitting with their dick in their hands too.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I think Boonens going to start punching people who wont take a turn on the front.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Good job Mtn Qbkcka

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So Cav, Kristoff or Bouhanni?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Kristoff
Cav
Bou
Farrar unironically

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm going to throw Viviani is as a wildcard and also a 'lol stannard going for it with 2km's left'. Just to cover my bases.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
List of sprinters, lol Mtn Qhubekca

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Gilberts pain face there :stare:

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pew pew Cav wins with no lead out!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Viviani looks good

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Viviani looks good

He came from miles back but really I think that was partially his own fault. Seemed to get swamped when Gilbert took off.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
That was really one of Cavendish's better sprints, and really shows how great he really is. To come around on the right, muscle onto Kristoff's wheel, accelerate in the slipstream and come around shows just how skilled and experienced he is at the sprint game.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Cav's post-race interview a little interesting, he said that Wilfried Peeters (Etixx-QuickStep Directeur Sportif) didn't believe he could make it to the finish unless it was a group of 200 riders, he almost made it sound like he had to talk the boys in to riding for him once they were out on the road.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Jamsque posted:

Cav's post-race interview a little interesting, he said that Wilfried Peeters (Etixx-QuickStep Directeur Sportif) didn't believe he could make it to the finish unless it was a group of 200 riders, he almost made it sound like he had to talk the boys in to riding for him once they were out on the road.

Well, is Cav out of his off season BurgerKing mode yet? Didn't he repeatedly poo poo the bed early season last year? I can see the loaded QS team just being like "pfft ride for yourself tubbo"

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Gibbo posted:

Well, is Cav out of his off season BurgerKing mode yet? Didn't he repeatedly poo poo the bed early season last year? I can see the loaded QS team just being like "pfft ride for yourself tubbo"

Nah he's had a much better start to this year, he already had four wins going in to today. In another post-race interview he said that Boonen was on his side in the pre-race meeting and wanted to ride for Cav rather than his own chances.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cav's also out of contract after this year and they've just signed that Colombian track sprinter that dominated him in 2 stages earlier this year. I think he'll be moving on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Pre-season races don't count for poo poo.