Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Brawnfire posted:

No, but apparently part of Ben's character is that opportunities plop down on his lap without his even trying, so who knows?

This post made me realize what happened:

Ben got elected by running as Barney from the accounting firm's vice presidential candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Maybe they're the first married people to hold POTUS and veep simultaneously, with the agreement that they'll run on the opposite ticket during the midterm.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Well i think it's fair to say that was one of the best finales ever. It was almost 'too' perfect.

The only thing missing was Knope being elected President, and in her thank you speech thank her mother --- pan to mother --- mother is Leslie.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What happened to Joan Callamezzo, she should be the one who marry Bobby Newport.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
P. great finale.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

whatever7 posted:

What happened to Joan Callamezzo, she should be the one who marry Bobby Newport.
She marries Jean-Ralphio.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

CaptainHollywood posted:

Well i think it's fair to say that was one of the best finales ever. It was almost 'too' perfect.

The only thing missing was Knope being elected President, and in her thank you speech thank her mother --- pan to mother --- mother is Leslie.

Speaking of which, when was the last time we saw Leslie's mother? Did she ever show up after season one?

And it's still funny that Mark hasn't so much as been mentioned since he left. It's still weird to me that a main cast member for two seasons, on a show that has so many callbacks and cameos by small bit characters, didn't once mention him.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Speaking of which, when was the last time we saw Leslie's mother? Did she ever show up after season one?

Last appearance was in the Ben's Parents episode with the Unity Quilt, which was what, season 5?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

AlliedBiscuit posted:

And it's still funny that Mark hasn't so much as been mentioned since he left. It's still weird to me that a main cast member for two seasons, on a show that has so many callbacks and cameos by small bit characters, didn't once mention him.

It's in the ballpark of Mandy from The West Wing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

AlliedBiscuit posted:

She was in the Valentine's Day one where Justin and Leslie break up, The Bubble where she hits on Ben, and the Unity Quilt episode.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I saw a nice explanation for Leslie's mother's lack of presence in the later seasons (aside from the obvious can't get the actor thing) that the earlier seasons were about Leslie finding her way in politics within her mother's shadow. Her mother wasn't useful to the show anymore once Leslie came into her own and surpassed her mother's triumphs.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I too find it weird that one of the most boring and useless characters ever conceived in all media didn't show up during the series finale of a show that has ignored his existence since he unceremoniously left after 20 episodes.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn't Aubrey have a stroke when she was younger? That'll definitely change your personality some.

Yes, she did

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I don't know if it was mentioned yet but in the directors cut online they have a little extended bit with John Ralfio's funeral. And he and his sister dance slowly away from the funeral for like 30 full seconds before they notice them. And it is perfect.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Windows 98 posted:

I don't know if it was mentioned yet but in the directors cut online they have a little extended bit with John Ralfio's funeral. And he and his sister dance slowly away from the funeral for like 30 full seconds before they notice them. And it is perfect.

Yeah, I really wanna it in a gif

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

old dog child posted:

I too find it weird that one of the most boring and useless characters ever conceived in all media didn't show up during the series finale of a show that has ignored his existence since he unceremoniously left after 20 episodes.

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's going to do to you when you die and you go to HELL.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Typhoon in his sixty seconds of screen time ever is a more interesting character than Mark was in however many seasons he was on the show.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Javid posted:

Typhoon in his sixty seconds of screen time ever is a more interesting character than Mark was in however many seasons he was on the show.
Four. Mark was on the show for four seasons. People just didn't notice.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Javid posted:

This is really what it comes down to. I really need to rewatch the first season because what the show started out as -- is not at all what it ended as.

I gotta give the show credit as the show moved on it became less and less about the documentary conceit/concept - while the Office did the reverse in it's final season. Maybe it should have been somewhat acknowledged in the last episode or so, but the creators knew servicing the characters was important than servicing a gimmick.

I don't think I can remember a comedy (or any show really excl. Breaking Bad), where the characters really grew season to season. It was ATTEMPTED with How I Met Your Mother, but the characters would reset to zero and learn nothing from their successes/failures. Some characters like Jean-Ralphio didn't really learn/grow, but it was really all about the 'core' that mattered. Tom's multiple failed businesses never felt like the show was repeating itself.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I'm really glad they didn't attempt to explain the "documentary" angle and just treated it as a "this is how the show is filmed". I mean the only weirdness this creates is when characters look directly at the camera as part of a punchline but stage actors have been mugging for the audience for hundreds of years so that's not even a new thing really.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I also kind of like being included by television characters.

It's... comforting. Like I have friends.

:unsmith:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

CaptainHollywood posted:

I don't think I can remember a comedy (or any show really excl. Breaking Bad), where the characters really grew season to season. It was ATTEMPTED with How I Met Your Mother, but the characters would reset to zero and learn nothing from their successes/failures. Some characters like Jean-Ralphio didn't really learn/grow, but it was really all about the 'core' that mattered. Tom's multiple failed businesses never felt like the show was repeating itself.

They tried some character growth with Community (and in some aspects it was working). They even had characters going the opposite direction that you normally see, moving from decent, if off-putting, to all around spiteful.

The character changes on Scrubs moved at a glacial pace, but the core characters did grow up some over the course of 7ish seasons.

I don't actually remember enough about the classic sit coms of the 90's to pick any of those...

Also, Chuck had a good amount of character growth from all of their core over 5 seasons. That show's sorta a comedy. Still call it the most underrated series of the last decade.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

quote:

Also, Chuck had a good amount of character growth from all of their core over 5 seasons. That show's sorta a comedy. Still call it the most underrated series of the last decade.

God that show fell off a cliff hard after season 3. And that's being lenient to Superman. Went from being one of my favourite shows to one I wasn't even able to finish watching.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Cart posted:

God that show fell off a cliff hard after season 3. And that's being lenient to Superman. Went from being one of my favourite shows to one I wasn't even able to finish watching.

Different strokes. Season 5 was my favorite.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cart posted:

The show never really fell off hard, and once Pierce Bronson showed up the show got way better. The show ran into the problems of creating a mysterious evil enemy the main characters have to fight, and given how often they almost got cancelled they had to write the season so that if needed they could wrap it up by beating said evil organization. Season 4 and 5 were mostly self-contained that wrapped up at the end with a minor stinger to lead into the next season once it was confirmed.

There's a reason that you suddenly notice everyone eating Subway sandwiches constantly in season 3.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

pentyne posted:

There's a reason that you suddenly notice everyone eating Subway sandwiches constantly in season 3.

The Subway product placement is done hilariously, though. It's so over the top.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Chuck was straight up horrible and really lame cheese garbage

Parks and Rec was great though. I had no idea it was going to turn into the awesome show it eventually became after watching season 1. I was ready to give up on it back then but I'm glad I didnt

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?

precision posted:

Yeah I'm really glad they didn't attempt to explain the "documentary" angle and just treated it as a "this is how the show is filmed". I mean the only weirdness this creates is when characters look directly at the camera as part of a punchline but stage actors have been mugging for the audience for hundreds of years so that's not even a new thing really.

Maybe when they're looking at the camera, they're actually talking to Dr. Richard Nygard.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

If Parks proved anything it's that a "poor" first season doesn't mean the show is doomed. By the end of the first season- particularly the finale I remember the show looking like it was 'coming into it's own'.

It's crazy to imagine that Andy was meant to be written off after Season 1.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I never saw the first season in its first run but E! Canada has been showing it and it was terrible. I can't even watch it, and I considered Parks and Rec to be my fav sitcom at one point.

Also Amy Poehler is way better looking now than she used to be and I can't figure out why besides better eyebrows and haircut maybe?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
She had kids during the production of this television program. The kids are long out of her now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Windows 98 posted:

It's one of the funniest parts of the entire episode! I can't believe they cut it. I mean I get that it was probably because it's a long gag, but goddamn was it funny.

Also for the "Who is President?" debate:

Jen Barkley, in ep 9 of this season, mentions (in regards to candidates spouses) of "I'd just slap a flag pin on you..."

And in that scene Ben has the flag pin so I'm going with "it's Leslie as President."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

grilldos posted:

She had kids during the production of this television program. The kids are long out of her now.

Yeah but as the series progressed she got progressively more attractive. Most of it I'm sure is Hollywood magic, but she also lost a lot of weight.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
It seemed to be at least partly on purpose. Here's an excerpt in her interview with Sepinwall about this (http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/parks-and-recreation-star-amy-poehler-its-kind-of-ruined-me-for-anything-else)

quote:

I fought hard in the beginning to say that Leslie had zero style. And as seasons progressed, we would talk about, "Maybe she shops at Sears. Maybe there's a good Dress Barn in Indiana." We started saying, "With a little bit of power, she just gets a little bit more fashionable." I always tell Schur, "Leslie just kept getting darker at the roots, literally and figuratively." For the longest time, I felt like I had to keep my hair the color of someone who doesn't quite know the right look for her yet. That was fun. But those kind of things, some of the ways it was shot, some of the ways we lit it and edited it and wrote it were different. But I don't know if Leslie was all that different. That would be for you to decide.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah but as the series progressed she got progressively more attractive. Most of it I'm sure is Hollywood magic, but she also lost a lot of weight.

Also true.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Reverse Centaur posted:

Also Amy Poehler is way better looking now than she used to be and I can't figure out why besides better eyebrows and haircut maybe?

That's a weird thing to notice.... but i think she's also had work done on her teeth.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
We definitely noticed her appearance improve from the beginning to end as well.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Old Ben looks like Draco Malfoy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Woah, I just noticed that Jamm has a seat at City Council even in the seasons before he shows up. Specifically, it was his seat that Leslie let the model UN students sit in back in season 4, so now I have it in my head that Jamm was so antagonistic because he'd been wanting revenge on Leslie for ruffling up his seat or something.

kayakyakr posted:

Different strokes. Season 5 was my favorite.

Yeah; for me it's the only other show with a cast as likable and a story as feel-good as Parks. Except the difference is that while the Parks cast seems awesome in real life, with Chuck, in real life one of them is Adam Baldwin.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Argue posted:

Woah, I just noticed that Jamm has a seat at City Council even in the seasons before he shows up. Specifically, it was his seat that Leslie let the model UN students sit in back in season 4, so now I have it in my head that Jamm was so antagonistic because he'd been wanting revenge on Leslie for ruffling up his seat or something.

Yeah; for me it's the only other show with a cast as likable and a story as feel-good as Parks. Except the difference is that while the Parks cast seems awesome in real life, with Chuck, in real life one of them is Adam Baldwin.

I wanted to know what Adam Baldwin did and lmao:

wikipedia posted:

Baldwin is credited with having originated the GamerGate hashtag, which concerns a controversy in video game culture.

What a weird claim to fame. I assumed a random tumblr blogger came up with that, not the guy from Chuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I wanted to know what Adam Baldwin did and lmao:

What a weird claim to fame. I assumed a random tumblr blogger came up with that, not the guy from Chuck.

I imagine nerds mostly know him as Jane from Firefly.

• Locked thread