Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

gently caress any mass "collectible" production without any kind of purchase or distribution control, and double-gently caress people who buy things they don't want solely to sell them to other people at a markup. I had wanted to pick up the CE of a game recently, only to find out that it sold out before I got the e-mail letting me know preorders were up, and several hundred of them were up for sale on eBay the day the game was released, anywhere from 150% to 500% of the retail price. Some of the listings were parting out the edition to the point where you'd be paying over $500 for all the things that came in it, including one listing for $100 for the box. Scalpers are a cancer on the collectible market, and I really wish there were stronger unlicensed retail regulations (or that the ones that exist were enforced better).

If I wanted to I could sell my Homeworld Remastered CE for over 300 usd. I got it for 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Skyrim is like a klepto-simulator. Its all about sucking up endless amounts of lesser soul gems and coins (32) and metal bars and everywhere you go you clean the place. Go through every bookcase. An infinite amount of everything, the game is like a cycle.

Its like enter dungeon>murder>suck everything up like a savage vacuum cleaner>get out again and again with small stops where you craft/stash/sell all poo poo. The wheel keeps spinning. Oh this cave belongs so Oolag malbadur the kinkshaming bandit? I didnt notice was too busy hoovering all the poo poo up.
Where in the wheel are you? Oh my level-wheel got to cycle 5 so now i can use my shield to slow time, making fights even more trivial and even more slowed down and in the end i realize that time has no meaning in skyrim. Quests are just shallow set dresses for getting to new places where you can steal more useless stuff. Oh i got a Badass Spiky Mace OH MY GOD SOMETHING ACTUALLY MADE BY A PERSON! A living breathibg programmer decided what stats this mace have!!!!!!!! Its like catching a glimpse of humanity in the ever spinning wheel of randomized kleptomania. My random sword of _tier[number] with level specific damage and modifiers is miles ahead of any human made loot, but since youre so numbed by the wheel of loot you still get excited over havig something like that at all. The wheel continues. Soon all human made content will be swept up by the protagonist and all that remains is the wheel, with you, the shiva of vacuuming in the middle. Running and jumping and wondering why the gently caress am i loving playong this fuckig game??? The story is poo poo and thats when you stop playing.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

gently caress any mass "collectible" production without any kind of purchase or distribution control, and double-gently caress people who buy things they don't want solely to sell them to other people at a markup. I had wanted to pick up the CE of a game recently, only to find out that it sold out before I got the e-mail letting me know preorders were up, and several hundred of them were up for sale on eBay the day the game was released, anywhere from 150% to 500% of the retail price. Some of the listings were parting out the edition to the point where you'd be paying over $500 for all the things that came in it, including one listing for $100 for the box. Scalpers are a cancer on the collectible market, and I really wish there were stronger unlicensed retail regulations (or that the ones that exist were enforced better).

I saw an article once about some one who spent something like 4000 dollars buying amiibos, not because he wanted them, but because he didn't like the idea of other people having them. It was specifically the blond haired/blue dress princess and her little star companion that he didn't want anyone to have, and he had no intention of using. There was a picture of his bed just covered in the drat things.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Dragonball: Xenoverse is the DBZ game I've always wanted and I can't put it down.

That being said, it has a lot of annoying quirks. Armor drops are MMO style RNG, so you can completely clean house on a mission and not get poo poo for it. The same applies to optional bosses, sometimes they show up sometimes they don't. Also having three teammates can get too hectic to tell whats going on. Especially when there's only one enemy, who ends up getting ping-ponged back and forth so much you can't get a lock on him.

Speaking of which, the lock-on system is retarded and will frequently lose your target and there are portals in every level that it loves to switch to at the slightest provocation. So you'll be flying toward an enemy only to suddenly veer off to the left as the targeting system switches up.

The beam attack system is also really awkward in my opinion. I'm constantly accidentally firing off the wrong special attack because of it, and using an ultimate attack tends to activate your "zoom forward really fast" movement ability by accident causing you to fark up your aim.

The game is still baller as gently caress though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lotish posted:

I saw an article once about some one who spent something like 4000 dollars buying amiibos, not because he wanted them, but because he didn't like the idea of other people having them. It was specifically the blond haired/blue dress princess and her little star companion that he didn't want anyone to have, and he had no intention of using. There was a picture of his bed just covered in the drat things.

http://www.destructoid.com/man-hate-buys-rosalina-luma-amiibo-in-bulk-so-fans-can-t-have-them-285999.phtml

He also plans to buy other female figures so others can't. Why are nerds the worst?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hate this character so much I'm gonna spend 35,000 dollars completely loving filling my house with them

My 35,000 dollars spent on this character surely will show Nintendo and fans of the character that this character is not marketable at all

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CJacobs posted:

I hate this character so much I'm gonna spend 35,000 dollars completely loving filling my house with them

My 35,000 dollars spent on this character surely will show Nintendo and fans of the character that this character is not marketable at all

If you look at his twitter, he has pictures of loving hundreds and hundreds of the non-common Amiibo. He has no plans to sell them, he just wants to hoard them so no one else can have them and so Nintendo can realize that these are bad characters even though he already gave them thousands upon thousands of dollars to have them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ChaosArgate posted:

If you look at his twitter, he has pictures of loving hundreds and hundreds of the non-common Amiibo. He has no plans to sell them, he just wants to hoard them so no one else can have them and so Nintendo can realize that these are bad characters even though he already gave them thousands upon thousands of dollars to have them.

post the pics

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

post the pics

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't think he understands how voting with his wallet works...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
ModernWarfare2Boycott.jpg

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

poptart_fairy posted:

Hey man. MW2 didn't have dedicated servers and was $60. That boycott was totally called for :colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

poptart_fairy posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Who What Now posted:

"Beep Boop What Is Fun Must 100% Game In Most Efficient Way Possible Error Error Error Error "
I have no idea how you got that from what I posted. The game's plot requires the protagonist to do certain things. That's how a plot works. Complaining about that because it doesn't fit the character you wish the protagonist was is dumb.

Jastiger posted:

Why is Tiggum so dedicated to defending Skyrim?
I'm not though?

CJacobs posted:

I'm just quoting this from the previous page for posterity's sake because a real person actually said that an RPG a video game is not a game in which you should be roleplaying
FTFY.

Len posted:

Isn't Tiggum like legitimately autistic though?
Nope.

CJacobs posted:

Hmm yes you are correct the "play however you want to play" aspect of open world video games is most certainly lovely and outdated definitely not still a facet of these games to this day as it was so lauded in the games in the series that came before Skyrim
There is no such thing as a video game where you can play however you want to play. Some games give you more options than others, but even the most open games are still really limited in what will actually allow you to progress.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think you understand the core of peoples' complaints about what happens in the quest chain. If they had you GO to the college and demonstrate your shouting skills for the guard to let you pass, that would be fine. That's what you have to do to get inside the college anyway whether you're joining or not. But the main quest requires that you become a member so that you can gain access to the NPC you need to talk to, which is not fine. In open world games there's a very thin line between railroading you because that's what your goals in the plot demand, and railroading you into being a part of unrelated events because said unrelated events stand in your way; the mages' college is only the most egregious example, Skyrim does that kind of thing all the drat time. They took the previous games (and Fallout) and put in the "main quest that takes you all 'round the game world" grand adventure, without doing any of the cleanup work to keep the main quest separate from steering you headlong into sidequests.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

CJacobs posted:

I don't think you understand the core of peoples' complaints about what happens in the quest chain. If they had you GO to the college and demonstrate your shouting skills for the guard to let you pass, that would be fine. That's what you have to do to get inside the college anyway whether you're joining or not. But the main quest requires that you become a member so that you can gain access to the NPC you need to talk to, which is not fine. In open world games there's a very thin line between railroading you because that's what your goals in the plot demand, and railroading you into being a part of unrelated events because said unrelated events stand in your way; the mages' college is only the most egregious example, Skyrim does that kind of thing all the drat time. They took the previous games (and Fallout) and put in the "main quest that takes you all 'round the game world" grand adventure, without doing any of the cleanup work to keep the main quest separate from steering you headlong into sidequests.

What gets me is that they did the exact same thing in Oblivion, and avoided this problem. You needed to go talk to a librarian in the Arcane University, but she spent most of her day in the lobby, which is open to everyone. It serves the purpose of introducing the bookworm mages to the main quest, both as entities in the story and as a hook to follow into its own questline if you're interested, without outright forcing you to take the bait.

If you've made a mistake that even Oblivion avoided, you've hosed up royally.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum just seems like an average goon tbh

In every MGS game when they show Snake with a gun in a cutscene he always starts gameplay again with that weapon equipped. It's annoying because it will often replace your equipped gun, popping it back into your backpack. So you have to go through a few menus to put it back. I do no kill runs so I often don't realise they have replaced my tranq gun with a real gun until I blast some poor oval office in the head.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

CJacobs posted:

I agree that Skyrim does the railroading thing a lot, but this isn't the best example. All you have to do is find the guy who sends you after the scroll, which I did on my first playthrough before I got to that point in the main quest just because I explored a lot. It's not like you're cut off from it unless you join the college, it's just an extra optional step to make the player feel like they're doing some kind of investigation. If you're so hellbent on avoiding sidequests, look it up and skip that step.

Septimus also lives really close to Winterhold's very easy to escape "jail" so it's not as hard to accidentally stumble across him as you might think. :shrug:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I saw some motherfucker with 8 Rosalina Amiibos which is a target exclusive and impossible to find(I actually don't have a target in my island), 40 bucks a piece, Little Mac which I also wanted? Might as well not exist, I've never seen, 60 on ebay.

Its loving horrible, the main mario cast is falling off the shelves but everyone else vanishes before anyone gets there.

And holy loving poo poo, those pictures.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I keep hoping that when they finish releasing the amiibo figures in waves, Nintendo says "Hey, because these figures were so popular and in such demand, we've decided to keep them around" just to see the scalpers heads explode.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just a reminder that this whole shitstorm started because Tiggum was insisting that 100% experiencing all the content in Skyrim with a single character is the only correct way to play, because that's Tiggum's gimmick.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Anybody who cares about the Latest Nintendo Marketing Gimmick: Amiibo, are the ones contributing to the Problem.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

http://www.destructoid.com/man-hate-buys-rosalina-luma-amiibo-in-bulk-so-fans-can-t-have-them-285999.phtml

He also plans to buy other female figures so others can't. Why are nerds the worst?

This poo poo annoys me because it's so similar to what happened to the Majora's Mask 3DS. The pre-orders were all gone within seconds. Literally seconds. Most of those went to people who just wanted to resell them. Then retailers continued to gently caress up ensuring that as few people who actually wanted to play their fancy new DS got it as they possibly could. Now there's hundreds of them on various internet reselling platforms that very few people are buying because not supporting this poo poo seems to be one of the few things nerds can generally agree on for once.

Phobophilia posted:

Anybody who cares about the Latest Nintendo Marketing Gimmick: Amiibo, are the ones contributing to the Problem.

Some people just want some dumb toys, man. Not have to worry about going to specific stores and praying that shut-in nerds didn't take them all first because the people making them will literally never make another one again for no reason at all other than gently caress you. It's a bit of a drag when people do poo poo like that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Some people just want some dumb toys, man. Not have to worry about going to specific stores and praying that shut-in nerds didn't take them all first because the people making them will literally never make another one again for no reason at all other than gently caress you. It's a bit of a drag when people do poo poo like that.

Artificial resource shortages are the loving worst.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I don't think you understand the core of peoples' complaints about what happens in the quest chain. If they had you GO to the college and demonstrate your shouting skills for the guard to let you pass, that would be fine. That's what you have to do to get inside the college anyway whether you're joining or not. But the main quest requires that you become a member so that you can gain access to the NPC you need to talk to, which is not fine.
Why not? That's just how the plot goes. The protagonist becomes a member of the college before progressing, yet another demonstration of his/her incredible ability to pick up diverse skills without training or preparation.

DStecks posted:

Just a reminder that this whole shitstorm started because Tiggum was insisting that 100% experiencing all the content in Skyrim with a single character is the only correct way to play
I have never once said anything like that. I would really appreciate it if more games made it easier to tell whether or not you'd done all the available side quests before moving on (because I personally want to do them all) and I don't understand why anyone who's enjoying the game would want to play less of it, but optional side quests don't bother me as a concept. And if you want to skip side quests, you totally can, Skyrim does not prevent this. All I'm saying is that if you want to complete the main plot, and part of the main plot is "the protagonist joins the college" then you'll have to join the college, because that's part of the main plot, which you want to finish.

(And according to Kimmalah you're all wrong anyway and joining the college isn't even mandatory to complete the main story, so you're doubly dumb)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I love the Harvest Moon series, but I always hate how early game is basically just waiting around for things to happen.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tiggum posted:

All I'm saying is that if you want to complete the main plot, and part of the main plot is "the protagonist joins the college" then you'll have to join the college, because that's part of the main plot, which you want to finish.
Do you not comprehend that some people dislike this part of the main plot and hence have brought it up in this, the thread where you post about aspects of a game you dislike?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've seen several of these huge derails with multiple people furious at tiggum, and every time I just see him making these sort of vaguely disagreeable but not really very bad posts. Is there something about tiggum that I am missing or what.

Also is there any actual in-game purpose to these amiibos or is this random controversy really just over ordinary figurines?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also is there any actual in-game purpose to these amiibos or is this random controversy really just over ordinary figurines?

Amiibos do different things depending on which game you (can) use them in. For Smash Bros, it acts as an AI partner that learns as it plays.

Wikipedia posted:

Super Smash Bros. Amiibo figures can be used in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U to spawn computer-controlled characters to fight either alongside a player-controlled character, or against other CPU, player-controlled, or Amiibo-generated characters. With continued use, the Amiibo's corresponding character is able to level up and learn new abilities.[7][19] Super Mario series figurines, as well as their Smash Bros. counterparts, can be used in Mario Party 10 to store items that can be brought into the game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Amiibos do different things depending on which game you (can) use them in. For Smash Bros, it acts as an AI partner that learns as it plays.

My little brother has about 5 that he uses in Smash. They get smarter the more they're used - up to "lv.50", they actually get pretty blood thirsty from what I've seen.

You can also feed them items to raise their stats.

Speaking of Smash, I miss Smash Run. Or any form of an adventure mode. The gameplay actually works well for a decent side-scroller, beat 'em up and its a shame they haven't done anything with it in U.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've seen several of these huge derails with multiple people furious at tiggum, and every time I just see him making these sort of vaguely disagreeable but not really very bad posts. Is there something about tiggum that I am missing or what.

Tiggum's general gimmick is "if you are not playing the game the way I do, you are wrong and any complaints you have stemming from that difference are wrong". Don't even get him started about people who want controller support in PC versions of games.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

scarycave posted:

My little brother has about 5 that he uses in Smash. They get smarter the more they're used - up to "lv.50", they actually get pretty blood thirsty from what I've seen.

You can also feed them items to raise their stats.

Speaking of Smash, I miss Smash Run. Or any form of an adventure mode. The gameplay actually works well for a decent side-scroller, beat 'em up and its a shame they haven't done anything with it in U.

Holy gently caress that's the most devious piece of dlc that I have ever seen.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Many, many games have satisfying changes to side-quests depending on your actions, like Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3 and the only game I've seen satisfyingly do it with the main quest is New Vegas, though the Witcher 2 did it quite well, too. So excusing Skyrim's complete lack of option with 'it's the plot' doesn't fly. It was really jarring coming from New Vegas to get obviously evil people saying 'do a horrible thing!' and my first instinct would be to gently caress them over. However, no such luck. In Skyrim, it's do it or don't do it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

Holy gently caress that's the most devious piece of dlc that I have ever seen.

Calling it DLC is a little strong. They're just little figures that give a little bonus in games that support them. No game that uses Amiibo thus far makes them an integral part of the experience and they're handled so that every figure of one character has the same data as each other so you don't need a specific Link figure to train in Smash and also use for Hyrule Warriors. That said I think they make pretty great desk candy and decorative pieces and where the hell else am I going to find merchandise for Punch Out, F-Zero or Xenoblade.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

scarycave posted:

When I finally got my tax return and bought my wii u I was so excited to get a fullscreen smash run and to use my DS as a second controller.

Finding out I had to get extra controllers for anything not the basic smash mode AND that the smash run equivilent is a lovely gameboard with no sidescrolling just... ugh.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BBJoey posted:

Do you not comprehend that some people dislike this part of the main plot and hence have brought it up in this, the thread where you post about aspects of a game you dislike?
OK, here are two different statements:

1: "I don't like that bit of the plot where the protagonist joins the college."

2: "I don't think the protagonist should have to join the college to progress the plot because it doesn't fit with the version of the character that exists entirely within my mind."

The first statement is a reasonable complaint, it's a simple matter of opinion about which no one can be objectively right or wrong. The second statement is what people are saying in this thread. When you're "role-playing" your character in Skyrim and the plot demands that you do something to progress that "your character" wouldn't do, your character is incompatible with the plot. That's not a problem with the plot, it's a problem with how you're imagining the character, because the character (as written) does that, and it makes sense.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Tiggum's general gimmick is "if you are not playing the game the way I do, you are wrong and any complaints you have stemming from that difference are wrong". Don't even get him started about people who want controller support in PC versions of games.
I don't know how you could get this from anything I've ever said. I don't understand the appeal of some things other people do, but I don't begrudge them the ability to do them. I don't like controllers and I won't use them, but it doesn't affect me at all for a game to support them. I'll just use the keyboard and mouse instead. It annoys me when people imply that using a controller is "the correct way to play", because if that were the case there simply wouldn't be any other option. Like that game Brothers, you can't play it without a controller. That means I won't play it, but I'm not going to tell anyone else they shouldn't or insist that it should have keyboard and mouse support.

Walton Simons posted:

Many, many games have satisfying changes to side-quests depending on your actions, like Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, Fallout 3 and the only game I've seen satisfyingly do it with the main quest is New Vegas, though the Witcher 2 did it quite well, too. So excusing Skyrim's complete lack of option with 'it's the plot' doesn't fly. It was really jarring coming from New Vegas to get obviously evil people saying 'do a horrible thing!' and my first instinct would be to gently caress them over. However, no such luck. In Skyrim, it's do it or don't do it.
Only one game has ever done this in a way that you found satisfying, but you're singling out Skyrim as being bad because it fails to live up to that one exceptional example?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm not talking about the main quest, which I fully expected to be linear, but the side quests are mostly poor stories, boring to play and without even a cursory attempt at giving the player agency, which I personally find vital in RPGs. Every one I played was simply jumping through hoops to get Olaf's +1 sword of fuckery.

The vast majority of side quests don't matter in the grand scheme of the main plot (though New Vegas was good at making them pay off later) so there's no excuse to not give some form of choice.

e: Skyrim is obviously very popular so I won't try to ague that I'm objectively right, but this is the main reason I didn't really enjoy it, and it's not really something modders can fix.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Mar 1, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

Like that game Brothers, you can't play it without a controller. That means I won't play it, but I'm not going to tell anyone else they shouldn't or insist that it should have keyboard and mouse support.

You can, actually. :ssh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

I'm not talking about the main quest, which I fully expected to be linear, but the side quests are mostly poor stories, boring to play and without even a cursory attempt at giving the player agency, which I personally find vital in RPGs. Every one I played was simply jumping through hoops to get Olaf's +1 sword of fuckery.

Oh, well, I don't find them boring to play, but yeah, the characters and story are poo poo. But it's a video game, what do you expect? Even the games people single out as having amazing stories are almost always trite and formulaic, especially action games like Skyrim. And the games people praise as giving you choices and consequences are generally really shallow and pretty much everything just happens the way it was always going to regardless, just because having real choices and consequences would basically mean creating many times as much content, most of which very few people would ever even see.

If you want a good story, read a book. If you want a game where your choices matter, play a pen-and-paper RPG with other people. Video games aren't really equipped to deliver either of those things.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You can, actually. :ssh:
Really? The Steam page says you can't. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I've been playing it with my keyboard. WASD + arrow keys were default.