Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Smythe posted:

he sent me a cool pm after i probed him

loooooolllll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

l

m

f

a

o

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Smythe posted:

:eyepop:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

what are the odds that those google bubbles will have some tragic flaw only discovered upon completion? (lol they'll never get built)

even if they are built, their tragic flaw is obvious in their design. the domes have a bunch of independent floor-modules you can move around with cranes. in what situation would it ever make more sense to rearrange modules than to just move people?

okay, group A needs to work more with group B and we want to move them closer together. (directors think this is super-important because they spend all their time in meetings and don't like having to move between buildings for them. in reality groups at google are constantly working with groups in different states/countries, because even putting aside acquisitions, google will open a branch office in any city with a CS program better than itt tech. and also in nyc)

if the groups happen to already be in the same dome then we now have the option of physically moving their modules. to do that, we have to shut down work in every module that has to move, including group A's module, the module currently in the position that group A is going, the module in the position that's going, every module that's on or too close to a movement path, etc.

now maybe some of these modules will just be moving up and down on a column/rib/whatever by some motorized action; they'll probably still require those to be empty during movement for safety's sake, but otherwise they won't be too disrupted. everything in every module that's getting moved by crane will need to be packed, stowed, or strapped down, more or less as if the group was moving normally, and of course the module will lose power so i hope you're not using any machines there for anything. the actual crane movement will probably take most of a day per module at least, depending on how densely packed the modules are, and will require shutting down everything on the ground beneath the movement

so, even assuming that each group actually has its own independent module, you could either massively disrupt work life for most of the dome during an operation that might take a week or more, at a cost of millions per move before accounting for lost productivity during the disruption, or you could just have some dudes with hand trucks move some boxes around for a couple thousand bucks

the actual point of this proposal is to wow the city council with science and architecture so that they allow an exception to the height limits

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if android had limited its aspirations to being a blackberry clone, maybe it would have actually worked

i like how they still after these years are boggled by how to get the secret sauce right like on the iphone. MAYBE IF WE HAD MORE CORES?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rjmccall posted:

even if they are built, their tragic flaw is obvious in their design. the domes have a bunch of independent floor-modules you can move around with cranes. in what situation would it ever make more sense to rearrange modules than to just move people?

okay, group A needs to work more with group B and we want to move them closer together. (directors think this is super-important because they spend all their time in meetings and don't like having to move between buildings for them. in reality groups at google are constantly working with groups in different states/countries, because even putting aside acquisitions, google will open a branch office in any city with a CS program better than itt tech. and also in nyc)

[…]

the actual point of this proposal is to wow the city council with science and architecture so that they allow an exception to the height limits

in the video they throw out that they could be used for farming lmao

i mean online advertising is bad and getting worse but i don't think farming will evr get that lucrative

google is so NIH that they could never just farm regular, they'd have to invent some new way to farm that has a tiny fraction of the yield but has more dependence on heavy metals and electricity

and google is so ADD that they'd get seeds in the groun d and then be like "gently caress it, we give up" during the part where the plants actually grow and you don't have to do anything

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

don't you think Google already has city council 100% captured though

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
if the city council was 100% captured, they'd already be building in-town employee housing

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
not yet. they would completely own it if all the local googlers gave a poo poo (and could vote), but as it is, the council seems to be split between gung-ho techlords and the more skeptical old guard (of stanford professors and nasa engineers) who are resigned to tech but would prefer if not all the tech were google

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i'm still laughing at the fact that the city of 74,000 people only has 12,000 people show up to vote, which is why city council is worried about 5000 new google employees living there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rjmccall posted:

if the groups happen to already be in the same dome then we now have the option of physically moving their modules. to do that, we have to shut down work in every module that has to move, including group A's module, the module currently in the position that group A is going, the module in the position that's going, every module that's on or too close to a movement path, etc.

now maybe some of these modules will just be moving up and down on a column/rib/whatever by some motorized action; they'll probably still require those to be empty during movement for safety's sake, but otherwise they won't be too disrupted. everything in every module that's getting moved by crane will need to be packed, stowed, or strapped down, more or less as if the group was moving normally, and of course the module will lose power so i hope you're not using any machines there for anything. the actual crane movement will probably take most of a day per module at least, depending on how densely packed the modules are, and will require shutting down everything on the ground beneath the movement

so, even assuming that each group actually has its own independent module, you could either massively disrupt work life for most of the dome during an operation that might take a week or more, at a cost of millions per move before accounting for lost productivity during the disruption, or you could just have some dudes with hand trucks move some boxes around for a couple thousand bucks

this all reads like architects coming up with something without asking a civil engineer whether it is in any way a realistic or good idea.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

i like how they still after these years are boggled by how to get the secret sauce right like on the iphone. MAYBE IF WE HAD MORE CORES?

a lot of the software design was done ground-up for a blackberry clone. at the last minute, several years into the project, they had to re-work it from an event-driven blackberry clone to a real-time touch interface

it should surprise no one that the java architecture for event-driven ui on a low-power device was decidedly second-rate after clumsy adaptation to a touchscreen driven by a 500 MHz ARM and opengl

i think it surprises all of us that it's still second-rate eight years later

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it should surprise no one that the java architecture for event-driven ui on a low-power device was a disaster on a touchscreen with a 500 MHz ARM and opengl

yeah but eight years later it's still bad on a touchscreen with like a dozen 2ghz arm cords and opengl on an nvigia tangra chipst that your wife will love

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

when you think "responsive UI" and "good power management" the first things that come to mind are java and linux.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sudo Echo posted:

when you think "responsive UI" and "good power management" the first things that come to mind are java and linux.

this, except unironically

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this, except unironically

lol wtf

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
java was designed to fit into small spaces and run on battery powered devices. sun sold a range of JVMs optimized for low-power and ultra-low-power devices. google negotiated to license one.

then they told sun to gently caress off, and decided to write their own, from scratch, to avoid paying sun a few dollars per phone. and you can see how that turned out

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

prefect posted:

ouch; thanks for the info. i was thinking about buying an iphone, but maybe not now

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

this all reads like architects coming up with something without asking a civil engineer whether it is in any way a realistic or good idea.

facility design is what i'm learning to do right now and this whole thing sounds like someone read up on CRAFT but didn't realize that you weren't supposed to build the departments before you started rearranging them

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Smythe posted:

holy lmao get a load of this guy cam

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Smythe posted:

smythe for ik payin dividends

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

also this thread is a crenmob containment zone

cut into it and itll spread

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Smythe posted:

chome

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
whack is mad?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
kids: don't do whack

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
he caught me! im a big stupid human being who cant make a good post to save his life!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i got a pm from blackula once telling me not to disrupt his posts lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

and now ive broken the omertà by postin about it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

as a product for consumers, yes it sucks

but being a freelance dev guy i was looking into accepting Square or something

as it is my clients pay $1.50 to pay with interact e-transfer, a dumb canadian thing

square would charge me $24 loving dollars per transaction ( once a week )

i imagine there is a regular Visa rate that they are paying then marking it up to 2.75%

maybe apple can get that rate down to whatever Visa's base rate is, which i think i remember is like 1%??

anyway, what i'd like to see is phone-to-phone apple pay between individuals, but for really cheap or free. and currentC, since they don't have to pay CC rates, could actually have done that.

square cash or venmo/gwallet are ok imo. venmo/gwallet each want a checking acct # to withdraw ur money but square cash just needs a debit card # so go with that imo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

theadder posted:

i got a pm from blackula once telling me not to disrupt his posts lol

you guys can't keep breaking the fourth wall like this, it makes me think like you're not just all here posting for my amusement but instead that I am a part of this somehow

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

rjmccall posted:

the former-SGI main campus is a vertigo-inducing shitshow with terrible lighting/floorplan so they may be trying to keep some degree of flexibility for when office design fads change again in a couple years and to avoid a repeat of what theyre dealing with today

rjmccall posted:

... or yeah probably that

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 1, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what if i told you there was a medium of currency exchange that had zero fees, was accepted everywhere, did not reveal any personal information, and is already super wide spread?

it's called cash

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
its also a medium to end up with unmanageable amounts of change and waste a shitload of time going to atms while getting cocaine and ebola traces in your hands

you keep that poo poo ill use apple pay thanks

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I can't send cash via email or SMS. POPmoney works, though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

poty posted:

its also a medium to end up with unmanageable amounts of change and waste a shitload of time going to atms while getting cocaine and ebola traces in your hands

you keep that poo poo ill use apple pay thanks

i have three magic words for you: "keep the change"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
seoul photocopiers running at 1000%

quote:

Even the camera mount protrudes out from the rear of the phone, preventing the S6 from lying flat on a table, just like an iPhone 6.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

I llol'd ( literally laughed out loud ) at the pagancow part

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

uncurable mlady posted:

seoul photocopiers running at 1000%

heh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PleasureKevin posted:

I llol'd ( literally laughed out loud ) at the pagancow part

me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

More changes afoot at Google+. TechCrunch has learned, and now confirmed with Google, that David Besbris has left his role as the head of the company’s social and identity product. He has been replaced by Bradley Horowitz, a longtime VP of product for Google+.

Besbris only took over Google+ less than a year ago, in April 2014, after Vic Gundotra — who had started and led Google+ since its inception — left the company.

And it was only in October 2014 that Besbris, reclining in a pool of plastic bubbles (pretty ironic in retrospect), told Re/code that Google was in social and Google+ “for the long haul.”

Well, Google+ may not be completely disappearing, but it does seem to be getting dismantled (as we reported it would).

• Locked thread