Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Bad Seafood posted:

There are a lot of ways failure can be internalized into a personal lesson, man, I'm just trying to give an example. We expect him to win because he's the protagonist, even with the odds stacked heavily against him. I'm just saying failure is an option and potentially a constructive one; one I wouldn't mind seeing.

Even the classic "It's okay to fail, everyone fails" would be at home here.

He's not going to fail because he was mind controlled because that's a super boring way to lose. Iida is actually probably the best place for him to lose at. Then Iida can win it all and be surprised killed by the villain's association. Maximum tragedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bad Seafood posted:

Physically, yeah, he's pretty far behind, but that's a problem poised to solve itself. I'm talking about his mentality, his way of thinking, which he's had plenty of time to develop.

His mentality is "I want to be a hero who saves people like All Might and I'll do whatever it takes to be that hero". He isn't backing down when facing challenges, mental or physical and while he acknowledges that other people want to be the greatest too, he's not letting their desire, power or motivation intimidate him. He doesn't even have a problem losing in and of itself, he wants to win this to make All Might proud, not because he's afraid of losing. He's lost plenty in the past, and been okay with losing: the entrance exam and first days tests being a good example of this. He lost so he could save others in the entrance, and then realized he couldn't win everything on the first day so just tried to do his best and do well in just one event instead.

There's really no need to have him lose, and people seem to want him to lose simply because it's different, not because it'd be good while holding the manga up as some kind of paragon of unexpected elements. It really isn't. The manga has played plenty of it's elements straight. It's good not because it surprises the reader constantly (it does this plenty in minor elements, not so much the overarching beats) but because it's well executed. And while Deku will probably win this if it plays out, it'll more than likely play out well regardless of what it does. One Piece has had Luffy lose only really once in the manga so far, and it took a long time and a lot of build up to happen - yet Luffy is still one of the most enjoyable parts of an overall really enjoyable story.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New issue - http://www.mangareader.net/boku-no-hero-academia/32

They are pushing the Deku vs Son of Ice and Fire so much that I'm beginning to think it won't happen. Either Deku is mind controlled into saying "I give up" (similar to the Shikimaru/Ino fight in Naruto) or Fire and Ice guy has a shocking loss in the 2nd round, leaving Deku to avenge him, which would further create a wedge between them because he would resent being saved by someone associated with All Might

DeadBonesBrook fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 28, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stir the emotions, cloud the mind, eh?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

or Fire and Ice guy has a shocking loss in the 2nd round, leaving Deku to avenge him

So... Deku would either have to beat the guy who beats him in the first round or beat himself?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I wouldn't be too broken up if Shinsou won and proceeded to walk all over Todorki and Iida before facing Bakugou (or possibly Yaoyorozu). He seems like he has potential to do cool stuff. I know there was a big discussion about how it doesn't need to be super surprising to be good, but it would certainly be cool if not every obvious choice were to advance.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Dragonatrix posted:

So... Deku would either have to beat the guy who beats him in the first round or beat himself?

I meant the 2 round as in the second match of the tournament, its possible both could get knocked out as well I suppose, but that would be way less interesting

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Welp, Todoroki ruined everything by looking forward to beating Midoriya. RIP Midoriya.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What the gently caress happened to "We're going to wait until the official release is out to release ours"?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
This chapter was done by a different group. One that clearly does not give a poo poo about that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is a different group that does one of the other language translations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ojiro is still cool and his reason for forfeiting - "I didn't earn it" - is much cooler than what I expected, which was something about him just not having a chance. Good job Ryu.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dragonatrix posted:

This chapter was done by a different group. One that clearly does not give a poo poo about that.

To be fair, the apparently don't give a poo poo about putting words in the proper order either. Don't/Didn't are important words that change the meaning of a sentence, especially when taking them out clearly contradicts the actions as drawn.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

To be fair, the apparently don't give a poo poo about putting words in the proper order either. Don't/Didn't are important words that change the meaning of a sentence, especially when taking them out clearly contradicts the actions as drawn.

Yeah. I had to reread a line earlier, when Ojiro, by their translation, told Deku to respond to Shinsou's provocations. It seemed really odd, and I thought I read it wrong, but no, that's what it was. And then later, Deku does exactly that, gets mind-controlled or whatever, and Ojiro's lamenting having warned Deku about this. Because he warned Deku not to do so, and the translators messed that up Also they called bondage heroine a "he", so I'm pretty sure they aren't proofreading their work either.

This new group is bad, is what I am saying. They aren't unreadable but in a way that's worse because they write basically proper English and then gently caress up little things that completely change what the meaning of the characters are saying. It's not bad enough to make you not read it, just to make the chapter a confusing mess.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Gyges posted:

Yeah, there were some pretty obvious and important word omissions and words out of order. I'm not someone concerned overly much with capturing the pure intention of the author, but that chapter just has terrible proofing.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
English isn't the first language of the group that released this, it's the group that does the Spanish or Portuguese releases I think.

So yeah, no poo poo the grammar isn't great.

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
There are also some pretty weird translation errors, the most obvious ones being Kirishima's line changing from "These guys... ARE REAL MEN!" in the original to "These kids... They're no good!" Shinsou's little speech also changed from being about how the means are irrelevant to some stuff about fears.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ojiro's speech doesn't make much sense to me in this version, though the progression of the chapter helps fill in the gaps.

Soylentbits posted:

He's not going to fail because he was mind controlled because that's a super boring way to lose.
I'd agree, though his temporary lapse in judgement kinda illustrates what I've been talking about all along.

Whatever happens though, I'd rather the tournament not get interrupted; especially not right after the Space Jam arc.

tsob posted:

There's really no need to have him lose, and people seem to want him to lose simply because it's different, not because it'd be good while holding the manga up as some kind of paragon of unexpected elements. It really isn't. The manga has played plenty of it's elements straight. It's good not because it surprises the reader constantly (it does this plenty in minor elements, not so much the overarching beats) but because it's well executed. And while Deku will probably win this if it plays out, it'll more than likely play out well regardless of what it does. One Piece has had Luffy lose only really once in the manga so far, and it took a long time and a lot of build up to happen - yet Luffy is still one of the most enjoyable parts of an overall really enjoyable story.
I don't think Deku losing would be particularly subversive - if anything, this tournament seems custom built to cushion such a loss - but there are thematic benefits to introducing the possibility. Lends itself to a tighter sense of tension as well.

Certain things are expected in a story like this. Right from the get-go, we know the hero's gonna come out on top. No matter what twists or turns the plot may take, no matter the odds, we are 99.99% assured things will go our protagonist's way, even if they sometimes take their time getting there. Spoiler: Deku takes All Might's place and becomes a truly spectacular hero in his own right. This is all but guaranteed to be the natural outcome of things. Which is great, because I dig these kinds of stories. Wouldn't be reading them if I didn't.

At the same time, however, this sort of thing necessitates what amounts to a string of continuous victories. The question is seldom "Can we win?" but rather "How will we win?" If the writer manages to provide a satisfying response, we accept yet another of the protagonist's many victories. If they don't, we don't, except by author fiat or some other plot device.

Deku's made a lot of progress. He's still nervous and uncertain and prone to emotional outbursts, but he's got a hero's heart and the ability to think on his feet. He knows he can't just rely on his quirk, and to his credit he looks for ways around using it. All the same, he isn't yet at a level where I could really believe he'd beat mind-control kid, Todoroki, Iida, and Bakugou in the same arc; not without stretching suspension of disbelief to the breaking point, and certainly not right after the most recent chapter had him walk right into a trap he should've known was there all along. And if he wins, he wins. Maybe he'll win with style just to shut me up. Maybe he'll win because he's the protagonist. Maybe the tournament gets interrupted and we're left without an answers (though this would be the least satisfying turn of events). Or maybe, since this isn't a life-or-death, make it or break it situation, he can actually afford to lose and learn something from it.

If you don't want to take anything else from me, at least take this: by entertaining the very real possibility of Deku losing, you make his actual victories more meaningful; doubly so should Kohei execute them well. Even if all my walls of text amount to ziltch, at the end of the day I'll feel more invested in the outcome knowing Deku's triumph isn't a given just because the whole story happens to be about him.

Also fitting you should mention One Piece, since the one time Luffy faced the real danger of failing is the only time I've ever been invested in the fights (though I still find One Piece pretty enjoyable despite this shortcoming).

TL;DR I take dumb fighting comics from foreign countries too seriously :words: what is my problem.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya defeating all of his rivals in one tournament seems a bit much, but remember that whoever wins (or maybe the top 3-4?) go onto the final games where all the winners in all 3 years of classes participate.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I actually forgot all about that.

On a slightly less autismal tangent, since a couple people here have remarked on Todoroki's fairly "Generic" design, somebody pointed out to me it might be another way of rebelling against his overly-flashy dad which I am pretty okay with.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also his powers are specifically mentioned to damage his body if used too intensely/too long. That does not seem to be the case with his dad unless he thinks that severe burns are really loving rad and worth having flame beard constantly.

Edit: Just FYI the Vocomic stuff is still being updated. If you wanna hear a Japanese VA doing All Might, complete with SMASH.

http://vomic.shueisha.co.jp/hero/

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 1, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, if I could have a beard that nice.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I want to know if Endeavor gets doused does he emerge clean-shaven.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Shinsou being described as "A normal student without anything special" makes me wonder if his 'ability' is actually a quirk, or does he just have an extremely good grasp of psychology, which he uses to control people?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Say Nothing posted:

Shinsou being described as "A normal student without anything special" makes me wonder if his 'ability' is actually a quirk, or does he just have an extremely good grasp of psychology, which he uses to control people?

Are you serious? The people he's mind controlled are shown being really confused after being let out of it, with presumably no memories of what happened. That and apparently all you need to do to get caught in it is reply to his words.

Anyway I think Midoriya is way too smart to get immediately caught by Shinshou's quirk after being warned about it from tail-boy. I think this is some sort of trick; tape recorder maybe?

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

RatHat posted:

Are you serious? The people he's mind controlled are shown being really confused after being let out of it, with presumably no memories of what happened. That and apparently all you need to do to get caught in it is reply to his words.

Anyway I think Midoriya is way too smart to get immediately caught by Shinshou's quirk after being warned about it from tail-boy. I think this is some sort of trick; tape recorder maybe?

I think his ability just lets him control people who are mad (at him?)

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

TL;DR I take dumb fighting comics from foreign countries too seriously :words: what is my problem.

I guess it MIGHT be interesting for Deku to lose but you gotta admit he's at least got to beat mind-control dickhead because man gently caress that dude. I'm sure he has a reason for his assholery but for right now I want to see him get beat to hell.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fabricated posted:

Edit: Just FYI the Vocomic stuff is still being updated. If you wanna hear a Japanese VA doing All Might, complete with SMASH.

This is pretty sweet

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fabricated posted:

English isn't the first language of the group that released this, it's the group that does the Spanish or Portuguese releases I think.

So yeah, no poo poo the grammar isn't great.

It's Spanish, considering the bit of Spanish at the beginning. This is also not an excuse. Spanish is my first language and I found this translation really bad. If they were going to bother doing this, they could've put a bit more effort into it, some errors were really loving bad (like the already mentioned provoke/don't provoke one, but also the entirety of Ojiro's talk about why he's quitting was really hard to read)

Anyways, about the comic! The first round feels a bit obvious but I'm still interested. Realistically, the winners will be Midoriya, Todoroki, Iida, Yaoyorozu, Kirishima and Bakugou. The only ones I'm not too sure about are the two which only have minor characters in them, those could go either way because they don't affect anything at large. This also means that Bakugou gets to face the closest he has to a friend in the second round, which can be either fun or a total curbstomp, we'll see.

Most importantly, the current fight. Shinsou seems to have total control over it already. Mind control powers that only work if the opponent is already angry, and a character that knows how to use this is a neat thing. I still want Midoriya to cave his face in, because holy poo poo he's a dick.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Madtrixr posted:

I guess it MIGHT be interesting for Deku to lose but you gotta admit he's at least got to beat mind-control dickhead because man gently caress that dude.
I am totally for mind-control dude getting royally whupped by Deku.

Also hoping the other fights get some decent attention, rather than summation panels. Momo vs. Fumikage in particular would be very interesting to see played out.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fabricated posted:

how do i get this to work :saddowns:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RatHat posted:

The way they described him as "A normal student without anything special" was weird. It could just be that particular translation.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
he's a normal student by the standards of this high school for superheroes.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Also superpowers are basically normal in the context of this world, so you'd have to really stand out to rise about that label.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tollymain posted:

how do i get this to work :saddowns:
The VLC web plugin does a really nice and lovely job of playing it. You might wanna try using IE with Windows Media Player. The actual one ,not classic.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bad Seafood posted:

Also hoping the other fights get some decent attention, rather than summation panels. Momo vs. Fumikage in particular would be very interesting to see played out.
The author has definitely built up enough of my confidence for his ability to entertain and create a variety of entertaining characters. I actually hope that we see literally every match in the bracket played out, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled it off.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Mind powers wouldn't work well against robots and don't give any physical powers either.

Also, in an earlier chapter he talked about getting used to his power. The most likely explanation for that is that he simply hasn't been using his powers because of their nature. There are probably many people who get powers that are strong or potentially destructive and never use them in normal life.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Piriwi posted:

Mind powers wouldn't work well against robots and don't give any physical powers either.

Also, in an earlier chapter he talked about getting used to his power. The most likely explanation for that is that he simply hasn't been using his powers because of their nature. There are probably many people who get powers that are strong or potentially destructive and never use them in normal life.

Now I'm imagining people with terrifying powers that just try to do normal things. A guy who can create nuclear explosions, but is employed as a foreman at a construction firm. A person with time control powers, who works in IT. And so on.

...Now I'm wondering how many villains in this world are people who tried to have normal lives, had something go wrong, and decided gently caress it, time to put their power to level entire city blocks to use.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

good version:

http://bato.to/read/_/307526/boku-no-hero-academia_ch32_by_fallen-angels

e: yikes, should have looked at that fanart before calling it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Something I really like about the juxtaposition of these two panels but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also Ojiro's new speech makes a lot more sense and cements his status as a pretty cool guy.