Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

the first, more limited batch got a ton of hype

It was the (or one of) first barrel aged barleywine from the brewery started by the guy who brewed M. The first batch barely got out of Alaska. That's legit cred.

But it's still loving beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Pretty excited got a text from my Chicago trader... he snagged me a BA Behemoth and a Black Flame(maybe 3 or 4 actually).

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Vertigo posted:

Pretty excited got a text from my Chicago trader... he snagged me a BA Behemoth and a Black Flame(maybe 3 or 4 actually).

Hook me up Americanzero!

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Hook me up Americanzero!

haha not him... a regular guy I deal with out that way

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Vertigo posted:

haha not him... a regular guy I deal with out that way

Please stop posting things from chicago that I have to use the Internet to figure out what you're talking about...

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

wodin posted:

I'd be fine paying anything under $30.

Alpine showing up everywhere has been a wonderful surprise, even if it's usually clearing out in a day or two (Southern California).

I can drink Nelson by the PINT and walk home. It's a goddamn dream come true.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

I'm about 90% sure they did that prior to the first ADWTD release, which was maybe a year and a half ago. And while the fact that ADWTD has M's lineage, i'm with LeafHouse that that number is M level.

I would imagine the poster got it confused with M specifically as I remember reading an internet article saying that M sold for over a thousand bucks at some point. Also I really want to try ADWTD but at the same time, I was really excited to try Billionaire and then I remembered that hey, I don't actually like cognac very much. I fuckin love tequila, rum and gin, on the other hand. Send me all your exotic barrel brews. Or recommend them.

For that matter, now that the crappy Laird's Apple Brandy is becoming sought after beer barrel, somebody needs to pioneer a vodka barrel beer and filter it like five times and put "ULTRA PREMIUM" on the label somewhere. (note: I like vodka)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I saw A Deal With the Devil for like, $36 here and passed. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's not worth that for my own sanity.

In other news, I also just picked up the new Boulevard Coffee Stout amongst a bunch of other things, curious to crack it open after the above praise.

edit: this place has '13 & '14 narwhal 4-packs for $7.99, as well as some other odd bottles of multi-year old stuff mixed in randomly. Will have to go back to investigate more.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 28, 2015

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Just read one of the most troll/asinine/clickbait articles with regard to beer in quite a while. I didn't know they stopped selling mass produced lagers?! (They didn't)
https://archive.today/ipKs5

quote:

Is the craft beer “revolution” over yet? For the past four or five years I’ve been plaintively asking this question in the same tone as a toddler in the back seat. Now it seems that every time I head to the pub I’m confronted by a row of hand-whittled taps. My pleas are becoming more desperate.
Craft beer is easy to hate. Most of it tastes bad. Beer snobs are phenomenally irritating, often even worse than the narky farmers’ market set or the paleo herd. Hops connoisseurs are so annoying that there are published guides on how not to be one, but the guides themselves contain bits like this:
Also, lager has had its good name besmirched by a long association with lovely American macrobrews, all of which have to be lagers, and all of which would be just as gross if they were ales

Such is the power of snobbery that in the course of explaining how not to be a “beer rear end in a top hat,” the writer refers to beers he doesn’t like as lovely and gross. Co-organiser of last year’s Sip & Savour beer tasting, Michael Ward, described the event as “a chance to really learn about beer – about craft beer that is, not the mass-produced drain water that goes by the same name.” Case closed, beer nerds.
But the worst part is that craft beer is un-Australian. We have a fairly specific kind of beer drinking culture, and it’s ill at ease with the kind of mouth-puckering, overly flavoursome beers favoured by the crafty set.[...]
It goes on and gets worse
:suicide:

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Hahaha it just reeks of "stop liking stuff that I don't!"

I will not begrudge anyone their miller lite or whatever, if they like it they like it fine! The thing they like doesn't hurt me, and I have never seen a bespectacled beer nerd lecture some knuckle dragging macro drinker, or vice versa, but apparently that's totally happening in Australia :rolleye:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hauki posted:

I saw A Deal With the Devil for like, $36 here and passed. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's not worth that for my own sanity.

I spent 40 and I ain't even mad

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Vertigo posted:

next time just mail me $20- it will be half as painful as drinking BA Behemoth

Hauki posted:

or send Hauki $36 for me

Fluo posted:

Just read one of the most troll/asinine/clickbait articles with regard to beer in quite a while. I didn't know they stopped selling mass produced lagers?! (They didn't)

my first thought was, "did Ann Coulter write this?" it's not even worth arguing about.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

my first thought was, "did Ann Coulter write this?" it's not even worth arguing about.

Pretty much, its clickbait to get people angry. I just find it painfully dumb, people can have their buds and stuff but its like the beer snob who wants to get rid of all mass produced lagers strawman in reverse :psyduck:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Gonna be at JWB grand opening tomorrow. If you are going and want to say hi, PM me. Otherwise I will be the drunk guy in the tap room. Not sure what I am wearing yet but probably a blue/orange Florida Gators hat....and nothing else. But for real, if you are there I will be checking my phone so lets party.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Fluo posted:

It goes on and gets worse
:suicide:

This guy sounds like he's real popular at parties.
Maybe this is the second round of Budweiser's marketing strategy.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

Beer review: Boulevard's Coffee Imperial Stout is what regular Speedway wants to be. Lightly sweetened coffee, big roastiness, really drinkable but still leaves something in your mouth. Very little bitterness. This reminds me a lot of BCBCS without the booziness and half the sweetness. Seriously, this is excellent and now I'm definitely picking up whatever other "X" variations they release this year (money is on vanilla, coconut and chocolate).

Did you like the base imperial stout? I wasn't a huge fan of it when I tried it last year, wondering if the coffee version is different enough to be worth picking up.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Blue Palms in Hollywood is tapping Younger at 11, anyone here gone there for it before? How much potential misery am I looking at?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dphi posted:

Did you like the base imperial stout? I wasn't a huge fan of it when I tried it last year, wondering if the coffee version is different enough to be worth picking up.

It wasn't my favorite. The coffee version was very coffee heavy and a completely different beer.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Small bottle share with a worthy uhh last night at the best ghetto Mexican BYOB in south Philly. Highlights included:

2011 Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza - Time transformed an already great beer into something magical. An exercise in cellaring gone right.

2014 Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - One of my own person whales. Lived up to expectations. Straight raspberry liqueur. Would love to try this with another year on it.

Backyard Rye - This is so much better right now than it was fresh that I am actually sad about trading my last bottle. Chocolate and fruit for days.

Good time. Would share bottle again.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Small bottle share with a worthy uhh last night at the best ghetto Mexican BYOB in south Philly. Highlights included:

2011 Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza - Time transformed an already great beer into something magical. An exercise in cellaring gone right.

2014 Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock - One of my own person whales. Lived up to expectations. Straight raspberry liqueur. Would love to try this with another year on it.

Backyard Rye - This is so much better right now than it was fresh that I am actually sad about trading my last bottle. Chocolate and fruit for days.

Good time. Would share bottle again.

I can never seem to let a cellared Oro make it more than a few months before I lose my self-control and drink it. Waaant to try.
I hope to crack my last Backyard Rye soon, glad it is drinking so well right now :D

Hauki
May 11, 2010

deadwing posted:

I spent 40 and I ain't even mad
Damnit. I mean, it's tempting but I can get a bottle of Highland Park 12 for the same money. If I'm back in that area I might snag one anyway if it's still on the shelf just so I will have actually tried it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wattershed posted:

It's also really weird to see Alpine just popping up all over in shops now. Fisting a couple pairs of Duet and Nelson off the shelves just isn't something people have been able to do outside the brewery until now. I was under the impression that all of the bottled versions of their beers were still being produced in Alpine, however I'm not sure how to reconcile that with the amount that I have seen around town the last week and a half. Regardless, this Duet is perfect and tastes like it always has. Happy Friday, beer thread.

Perhaps since all their draft beer is at Green Flash now they are able to use more capacity towards bottles?

On that note, I tried Hoppy Birthday, Nelson, and Duet brewed at Green Flash and they were tasting as good as they ever were. I'm really going to try to track down some bottles and taste them blind vs. the draft growler from Green Flash.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I had Younger "before untappd" and once I tried Notorious, had a good feeling that it's solidly better. Feeling was confirmed today since it's got more flavor depth and fruit than just hop harshness. No line was nice :radcat:

Inaction Jackson
Feb 28, 2009

danbanana posted:

Ehhh... That's what 3F Oude Gueuze runs in Chicago (if you can find it). I think definitely prefer 3F, but Cantillon still attracts a higher price point. I think $25 is absolutely reasonable. Hell, that's what a 750 of Tilquin goes for...

Beer review: Boulevard's Coffee Imperial Stout is what regular Speedway wants to be. Lightly sweetened coffee, big roastiness, really drinkable but still leaves something in your mouth. Very little bitterness. This reminds me a lot of BCBCS without the booziness and half the sweetness. Seriously, this is excellent and now I'm definitely picking up whatever other "X" variations they release this year (money is on vanilla, coconut and chocolate).
They listed the next one on their schedule as "rum," so presumably rum barrel aged. The other two are still TBA.

And I agree that it's a great coffee stout.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

air- posted:

I had Younger "before untappd" and once I tried Notorious, had a good feeling that it's solidly better. Feeling was confirmed today since it's got more flavor depth and fruit than just hop harshness. No line was nice :radcat:

Barley Brown's Tank Slapper might be even better than Notorious. The best thing about Notorious and Tank Slapper: they are available many times throughout the year.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Just had a coworker out of town run across two cellar gift packs of Alaskan Brewery Smoked Porter: 2008 and and 2013. The owner had them stashed in the back last October for someone who never showed up. Now the hard decision on when to actually crack these bad boys open.

Why can't they distribute this in ohio, I would buy so much

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
the smoked porter is the only beer they make worth drinking. i seriously don't understand how people seem to love alaskan amber considering back home it's rightfully regarded as the swill it is. their White beer is some of the most heinous poo poo i've ever had, it tasted like loving pennies and spoiled meat with a mouthfeel similar to licking a 9v battery

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
Anyone tried Kilkenny? I can't get it in Oregon, have to have friends bring it down from Canada. It's good poo poo..

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Just saw this at a store here in Maryland, and I briefly considered grabbing one in the name of science. Judging by the amount of sediment at the bottom, the past two years have not been kind to it...

Also, thanks to whoever recommended Love Leopold Blackberry, it's on at Max's right now and is absolutely fantastic.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
From the Pipeworks BA Abduction beer advocate entry:

5/5 rDev n/a
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I have not had this beer, but it is awesome! Definitely worth seeking out!

Bassguy206, Wednesday at 09:31 PM

I can safely say that PW has put out another over priced and just alright beer.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Compusaurus posted:

From the Pipeworks BA Abduction beer advocate entry:

5/5 rDev n/a
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I have not had this beer, but it is awesome! Definitely worth seeking out!

Bassguy206, Wednesday at 09:31 PM

I can safely say that PW has put out another over priced and just alright beer.

Hahahaha

This is very believable

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I cracked my last 2013 Bigfoot last night to compare it to the 2015. The 2013 was a lot better with age. A lot more complexity to the malt flavors, boozy but mellowed out, and with a nice level of bitterness that balanced it. The malt character was the highlight though, lots of caramel, some fruitcake-like flavors and brown sugar and a nice toasted malt aftertaste. The 2015 in contrast was really malty, but mostly just caramel, lacked a lot of the complexity. It was also far boozier. Luckily I got some to cellar to see if it evolves the same way as the 2013. It's still a really good beer, but drat does Bigfoot get better with age.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

wheez the roux posted:

the smoked porter is the only beer they make worth drinking. i seriously don't understand how people seem to love alaskan amber considering back home it's rightfully regarded as the swill it is. their White beer is some of the most heinous poo poo i've ever had, it tasted like loving pennies and spoiled meat with a mouthfeel similar to licking a 9v battery

Yeah my parents brought me back a variety pack after one of their alaskan tours and I didn't really understand how the rest of the beer was just eh/blah.. but drat the smoked porter is awesome

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

fyallm posted:

Yeah my parents brought me back a variety pack after one of their alaskan tours and I didn't really understand how the rest of the beer was just eh/blah.. but drat the smoked porter is awesome

I tried their stuff after hearing raves about their amber from people. I found their white to be too sweet, their IPA to be too standard in a crowded style and the amber is just meh. The kolsch was okay though, but I can get better examples of the style. People like them for whatever reason though. I must say I do like their Winter Ale for the price, but there are better Old Ale seasonals if you're willing to pay just a bit more.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Framinghammer comes in 4packs now.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Shabadu posted:

Framinghammer comes in 4packs now.

Yes. I loving love it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://mybeerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/03/cigar-city-error-establishing-database.html

Too soon.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

swickles posted:

Gonna be at JWB grand opening tomorrow. If you are going and want to say hi, PM me. Otherwise I will be the drunk guy in the tap room. Not sure what I am wearing yet but probably a blue/orange Florida Gators hat....and nothing else. But for real, if you are there I will be checking my phone so lets party.

I didn't see this earlier, how was it from the OG perspective?

It was a bit rough around the edges, but that's to be expected I guess even without the torrential rains and flooding.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

KiteAuraan posted:

I tried their stuff after hearing raves about their amber from people. I found their white to be too sweet, their IPA to be too standard in a crowded style and the amber is just meh. The kolsch was okay though, but I can get better examples of the style. People like them for whatever reason though. I must say I do like their Winter Ale for the price, but there are better Old Ale seasonals if you're willing to pay just a bit more.

Know of any others similar to their smoked porter? Something I could find around, Ohio Kentucky area preferably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

fyallm posted:

Know of any others similar to their smoked porter? Something I could find around, Ohio Kentucky area preferably

Simple Malt Double Porter (Canadian, but i used to see it in VA a lot), Dark Horse Fore Smoked Stout, Evil Twin Ashtray Heart, Bruery Smoking Wood... i wanna say that i had something from O'Fallon's at some point, too