Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Some of it is affection, some of it is the state of the kingdom, some of it is alignment issues, some of it is...as I've heard it, somewhat locked-in. Trusting Dong Zhuo, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Officer relations DO decay over time, there's a tutorial popup about it, but as usual, people kind of ignore it. :v:

Basically check on it every now and then. It'll drop to F relations on it's own, so yes, banquet every now and then to placate your whiny subordinates.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My biggest problem with the game so far is the short time limit on defense battles.

Unless you play on chaos or are incredibly bad at the game it's almost impossible to lose one.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Largepotato posted:

My biggest problem with the game so far is the short time limit on defense battles.

Unless you play on chaos or are incredibly bad at the game it's almost impossible to lose one.

You haven't truly won unless you managed to take the enemy base in those five minutes, IMHO.

I'm kind of enjoying this, but when I decided to try and take over the big force I was part of when doing my first yellow turban campaign I came across the fact that there is but a thin veneer of difficulty on the game. I was HOPELESSLY outmatched, with enemy generic soldiers taking me several combos to kill and a total of three starting bases, and I still managed to win. Because after you've killed all the possible enemy officers enough to lower their morale bar to nothing, the enemy is completely powerless to fight against you in any way. So it ended up with me and Diaochan making a really slow slog of an uphill battle against random soldiers for like 20 minutes.

Oh well I have my own evil kingdom now. I like how ominous the scene is when you seize control of a kingdom through betrayal.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I didn't like the yellow turban campaign as most of the factions are controlled by generic officers.

Hard actually starts living up to its name when the enemy force is entirely made up of musou officers.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

They'll just turn up, quietly, in and around your games, as long as you have the options set to allow them to show up(You pick at the start of a new campaign). You can set who'll they'll appear in place of-famous guys, generics, and none at all.

On the bolded: who did you make? I'll keep an eye out. For myself, my particular don't-look-like-them-at-all monstrosities are Soul Nomad characters. Let me know if you see them.

Just to follow up on this, I did figure out how to upload my officer (reading the manual pays off, who would have thought?) so now people should have a chance of Ma Nemo popping up in their games.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Is there a consensus on who has the best moveset? I've been fairly underwhelmed with what I've seen so far.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Define 'best'. With something like 60+ movesets, that's a hell of a question. To say nothing of a character having Musous that don't match their weapon.

Any weapon that applies a buff via it's EX move is a strong contender, as it means you can apply and reapply that effect to yourself for 'free' without spending tactics points. A lot of weapons have such buffs. Liu Shan's old Rapier and Bench even have healing EXs.

Halberd, of course. Wide arcs, grabs, and the Switch Attack buffs everything at once.

The Harp is disturbingly potent, given it carries a mass heal as a Musou and is all area damage.

Chain Whip: switch attack is a life leech, EX buffs attack and attack speed.

Bow and Arrow: ranged is good, plus you can treat it as a shotgun; most attacks are a spread shot.

...Gah. I want to help, you know? But hell, I ain't been through every moveset myself. Sometimes I find things I like, still.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 1, 2015

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
How does Empires perfomance-wise compared to DW:8 XL? I'm living abroad and I only have my lovely laptop with an integrated graphic card, if I can run DW8 without issues, Empires would be alright?

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 1, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like the second EX attack on the Great Axe, and the first EX attack on the Revolving Crossbow is amazing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dynasty Warriors Empires? A must get? I've never played an Empires game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Turtlicious posted:

I would wait until a sale.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I never played an Empires game before, but I think this is really fun. I've probably put most of my time into the custom character creator, though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tae posted:

I would wait until a sale.

If you are on PS3 (and maybe PS4?) there is a free to play version coming out in a month. Edit and Free modes will be available, and Empires mode is also available for PS+.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Music will probably be their best seller, probably equalling or outpacing even costumes. Mostly because the current choice given is...it's not bad, as such. But it's most noticeable in the strategy screens. The choice is, or feels, damm small.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bloodly posted:

Music will probably be their best seller, probably equalling or outpacing even costumes. Mostly because the current choice given is...it's not bad, as such. But it's most noticeable in the strategy screens. The choice is, or feels, damm small.
There are some common default tracks, but if you use there music selector there are literally hundreds of (buttrock) tracks. I usually just hit random until something strikes my fancy or if I get Lu Bu's theme (house rule).

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I heard it like every level in DW7, yet when I play DW8 free mode I still end up picking Crush Em All for the BGM.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I miss the selection in DW6 Empires. Especially the tracks from the original fighting game. I think I actually prefer that Lu Bu theme to the current one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So early Japan gameplay for DQ Warriors, a lot of story. Seems they really want to spread into their own story eventually, or maybe they're just stretching out after the lack of options they could've done with Zelda. Maps are about a quarter of a standard DW map on average, about what you would see in a Hyrule Warriors adventure mission. Gameplay at this point is basically no different than your standard action RPG like Rogue Galaxy with MP and spell selection.

Main male is a very talkative, calculating guy that likes to drag on his thoughts. Main female is usually telling him to shut up because they're usually surrounded by enemies at that point.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Turtlicious posted:

It's a better dynasty warriors game than dynasty warriors 8 (because empires is all combat all the time with some fun strategy lightly sprinkled on top--it's more or less infinitely replayable, the limit being how much dynasty warriors you can stomach), but I'd still wait for a sale. If you're jonesing real hard for your dynasty warriors fix, though, it's a must-have.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

nutranurse posted:

It's a better dynasty warriors game than dynasty warriors 8 (because empires is all combat all the time with some fun strategy lightly sprinkled on top--it's more or less infinitely replayable, the limit being how much dynasty warriors you can stomach), but I'd still wait for a sale. If you're jonesing real hard for your dynasty warriors fix, though, it's a must-have.

Adding to this, if you liked some of the older RoTK games where you got to play a single officer and level them up, this is a decent substitute for one of those. It's missing some of the elements that would really make it great, but I still enjoy starting out as a wanderer then ending up as head of the country due to being a bad rear end.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

kissekatt posted:

There are some common default tracks, but if you use there music selector there are literally hundreds of (buttrock) tracks. I usually just hit random until something strikes my fancy or if I get Lu Bu's theme (house rule).

Have a child with Lu Bu and his music will play whenever you have a fight against the child.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Nemo2342 posted:

Adding to this, if you liked some of the older RoTK games where you got to play a single officer and level them up, this is a decent substitute for one of those. It's missing some of the elements that would really make it great, but I still enjoy starting out as a wanderer then ending up as head of the country due to being a bad rear end.

See, I didn't want to big up the RoTK elements of 8:E because I loving love RoTK and 8:E (and all of the empires games really) just never come close (despite my dream game basically being RoTK 8 or 10 with a Dynasty Warriors portion for the battles). :saddowns:

That said, the non-combat side of 8:E is surprisingly robust and deep enough to give you some things to do besides mashing buttons. Also the strategems are nice, they're so much more useful than any previous iteration (they were in dynasty warriors 7 empires, right?) and so fun to collect and employ.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

nutranurse posted:

See, I didn't want to big up the RoTK elements of 8:E because I loving love RoTK and 8:E (and all of the empires games really) just never come close (despite my dream game basically being RoTK 8 or 10 with a Dynasty Warriors portion for the battles). :saddowns:

That said, the non-combat side of 8:E is surprisingly robust and deep enough to give you some things to do besides mashing buttons. Also the strategems are nice, they're so much more useful than any previous iteration (they were in dynasty warriors 7 empires, right?) and so fun to collect and employ.

It all depends on which kind of RoTK you want. You're right, this isn't really close to 8 or 10 in terms of strategy; it's much closer to something like 7 where the focus is on building up your guy. It definitely gives me that old "drat it, I just want to level up my cities, stop attacking me" feeling though!

And the stratagems are pretty nice. I really like Fire Attack/Inferno because they make taking the bases a lot easier.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer. How do you get more weapon types available at the blacksmith? I know that you get better weapons from building weapon shops, but are you stuck with the same types that are initially available?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Just picked up Empires this weekend because I'm sick as hell and skipped eating out and bilge drinking, and that money had to go somewhere. Having loads of fun so far, but I had a few questions:

- Can I use a custom officer in any scenario? I'd like to dick around in fractured China (so Yellow Turbans), but so far I've only been able to play a custom scenario where there already where a few established (4+ provinces) Kingdoms.
- In that vein, is there any way to see what battles are coming? I’d like to have moderate sized Kingdoms by the time I’m ready to take land, not a huge superpower or two.
- Can I increase the time limit of battles somehow? It is impossible to lose a defensive battle in 5 minutes.
- How can I increase the quality of my weapons while playing Free Officer/low ranking dude? The Blacksmith only carries the basic weapons. (efb, That will teach me not to post without f5-ing)
- What exactly do you use the points for? I get increasing your level at the start of the game and getting extra resources, but apparently I can also "buy" weapons with them in the Gallery. What's the use of that? Do I start with them in the new game?
- Is there any point in not recruiting officers after battle when possible?
- There is an achievement for getting ALL the titles, and it made me wonder if that was possible. Even ignoring the Confession ones (I'm yet to have same-sex confessions, so I assume they doesn't exist), there are some that seems ridiculously contrived to get.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

7seven7 posted:

Stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer. How do you get more weapon types available at the blacksmith? I know that you get better weapons from building weapon shops, but are you stuck with the same types that are initially available?

Build more Weapon Forges in your kingdom. More forges = more weapons.

Fat Samurai posted:

- Can I use a custom officer in any scenario? I'd like to dick around in fractured China (so Yellow Turbans), but so far I've only been able to play a custom scenario where there already where a few established (4+ provinces) Kingdoms.

You can.

Fat Samurai posted:

- Can I increase the time limit of battles somehow? It is impossible to lose a defensive battle in 5 minutes.

No.

Fat Samurai posted:

- How can I increase the quality of my weapons while playing Free Officer/low ranking dude? The Blacksmith only carries the basic weapons. (efb, That will teach me not to post without f5-ing)

Without the ability to build forges, you're at the mercy of random drops.

Fat Samurai posted:

- What exactly do you use the points for? I get increasing your level at the start of the game and getting extra resources, but apparently I can also "buy" weapons with them in the Gallery. What's the use of that? Do I start with them in the new game?

You can buy access to all weapon types at the start of a new game, among other things.

Fat Samurai posted:

- Is there any point in not recruiting officers after battle when possible?

Every officer in your employ commands a monthly salary. If you recruit everyone, your payments will outstrip your income.

Fat Samurai posted:

- There is an achievement for getting ALL the titles, and it made me wonder if that was possible. Even ignoring the Confession ones (I'm yet to have same-sex confessions, so I assume they doesn't exist), there are some that seems ridiculously contrived to get.

I suspect it applies over multiple playthroughs, but I'm not positive.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 2, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks.

How? I cannot find any officers I've made when starting a new game. "You're dumb" is a perfectly plausible explanation, so if you don't have to do anything special to make them available, I have probably forgotten to save them, or something stupid like that.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks.

How? I cannot find any officers I've made when starting a new game. "You're dumb" is a perfectly plausible explanation, so if you don't have to do anything special to make them available, I have probably forgotten to save them, or something stupid like that.

One of the kingdom lists on the officer select screen at the start of a new game is reserved for custom officers. Just tab over to it and you're set. It's not obvious; I failed to find it the first time I played.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Maleketh posted:

Build more Weapon Forges in your kingdom. More forges = more weapons.

Thanks for answering, but I've built five weapon forges now and I only have the types I started out with to choose from. I can buy progressively stronger versions of the ones I have available, but I'd like to know how to change how many I can choose from.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

7seven7 posted:

Thanks for answering, but I've built five weapon forges now and I only have the types I started out with to choose from. I can buy progressively stronger versions of the ones I have available, but I'd like to know how to change how many I can choose from.

I think you need to get a weapon from other class (via quests or random drops) to buy other stuff.

By the way, does the difficulty level influence the quantity/quality of the drops?

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Maleketh posted:

Every officer in your employ commands a monthly salary. If you recruit everyone, your payments will outstrip your income.

Holy poo poo, this. I took my created Swagsuke from a free officer up to Sun Jian's marshall. No matter what I did, each month we were in the red. Then I realized there were like 30+ people in our employ, so I did some cost cutting. Now I can finally hold a banquet and keep people happy.

EDIT

By "cost cutting" I mean send officers I don't care about out into battle with only 1000 troops and hope they get killed / captured. Still achieved the "Saint" trophy though :getin:

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 2, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
One of the later patches stops NPC rulers from hiring so many people.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Is anyone else completely stagger immune in 8 Empires? I know the tutorial popup says if you have more defensive bases you get more resistance (with X? having immunity), but I'm seemingly immune all the time.

It makes things way too easy if I never get interrupted.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Occasionally my whole army will lose all its troops despite none or few officers being defeated. Any idea what causes this to happen?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Check ally tactics. There are several that burn troops to power up or heal, and the AI's very fond of that sort of thing. The lowest level one is 'Affection'; heals and boosts yourself and ally officers at the cost of troops. One of the Qiao sisters starts with it.

Remember that taking a healing item(As opposed to healing via a strategem, a building, life leech, certain Musous or even an EX) burns troops.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 2, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Remember that taking a healing item(As opposed to healing via a strategem, a building, life leech or even an EX) burns troops.

Wait, what? Do you mean the +50 HP items that enemy commander leave behind when defeated?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Yes, your personal troop count goes down. Also random box chicken and so on. It's to counteract the fact that your bases auto-spawn the basic healing items at a good clip. The idea is along the lines of 'you can retreat to heal(Unlike everyone else), but you're risking more by burning your extra lives/troops you may need for more/other stuff'. The mechanic's been in place, as I understand it from mostly observation and reading, in all Empires games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

lurksion posted:

Is anyone else completely stagger immune in 8 Empires? I know the tutorial popup says if you have more defensive bases you get more resistance (with X? having immunity), but I'm seemingly immune all the time.

It makes things way too easy if I never get interrupted.

I've definitely been staggered, though one of the first things I got was the armor to reduce stagger from arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Maleketh posted:

One of the kingdom lists on the officer select screen at the start of a new game is reserved for custom officers. Just tab over to it and you're set. It's not obvious; I failed to find it the first time I played.

Similarly, you can start as a kingdom (I think possibly only in the sandbox scenario?) by having a custom unit set up.