Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
That is indeed the reason, I wanted to test the technology before going with the threat favorite (which costs 4 times as much as the other ones).
I guess unless someone says that if you use it as I intent, for overnight charging, it doesn't really matter, I'll have to beg, borrow or steal a 1.5 amp or higher charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Wireless charging is really best for passive use cases anyways, e.g. sitting down at your desk and being able to simply glance over to check notifications or grab and go in seconds. If your phone still struggles to remain charged, what you really need is Turbo Charging because a standard charger isn't going to do much better.

I went with the Vu as my wireless charger despite it costing more than other models (including what appeared to be direct knockoffs of the Vu). The way I see it, it's the same as building a PC: you don't want to skimp on your power supply, otherwise there's a good chance of loving up the rest of your hardware if it fails. After spending a few hundred dollars on the phone I can afford the extra thirty bucks for a known good charger.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

My Nexus 6 has gone Mahogany. Guess it looks a little wonky with the Midnight Blue strip along the edges, but it's really not that noticeable. It's a dbrand skin, and there is a tiny tiny bubble on the top front, but I'm just pretending it's from the "wood". I could have set the sticker a tiny bit better.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The disappointment is real, the M9 leaks were all correct and nothing has changed. At the very least, can't HTC go with Apple's tick-tock product cycle? :smith:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Logikv9 posted:

The disappointment is real, the M9 leaks were all correct and nothing has changed. At the very least, can't HTC go with Apple's tick-tock product cycle? :smith:

There's still the chance of an M9 Plus being announced! However, with them moving onto this weird wearable poo poo, I've lost hope. I still dig the M9 design, though.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Logikv9 posted:

The only problem with the M8 was the camera sucked rear end. They now have a 20MP back and 4MP front. Add that to a larger battery and a more efficient processor on top of an already solid screen/build and I'm not sure what else people were expecting. That black HTC bar isn't going anywhere and I could have forecasted that two months ago. They took just about every issue with the phone and solved it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I skipped out on the M8 so the fact that the M9 takes the 8 and makes it better is fantastic.

Imo I'm glad they took the if ain't broke don't fix it route (mostly, they just improved it)

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

The only problem with the M8 was the camera sucked rear end. They now have a 20MP back and 4MP front. Add that to a larger battery and a more efficient processor on top of an already solid screen/build and I'm not sure what else people were expecting. That black HTC bar isn't going anywhere and I could have forecasted that two months ago. They took just about every issue with the phone and solved it.

Specs are fine for me, I'm just disappointed in the lack of a new design. While they may be going with a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" mentality, the design is getting stale. I was oddly excited for the (now inaccurate) evleaks renders, because it just looks more sleek and more of an evolutionary take on the design.

I guess I got used (and liked) Apple's style of a new design every other year, because it kept things fresh. New specs are great, but ultimately it still looks like the same phone that came out when I got the S4.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I really don't like the protruding camera. I've always liked not needing a case with HTC phones, but this would make me feel like I needed one. Plus, it's going to be really difficult to flaunt the m9 to all the m8 owners I know with it having a case and looking nearly identical.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Same here. The only potential dealbreaker for me is the protruding camera, how it sits on a desk, and really, how obnoxious it sounds when receiving a notification. I'm not too worried about scratching the lens due to how I handle my phones, but the sapphire crystal lens cover should prevent most mishaps.

Also, whether or not I can get a pink one. Not really. But I do really want to see the pink one in person.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

the design is getting stale.

Lol no it isn't, not at all. The m9 looks incredible.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Incredible is a bit of a stretch..

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Why do Android phone manufacturers refuse to make phones worth owning smaller than 5"? The M7 at 4.7 is already almost too large for a pocket once it's in a decent case, but these 5" and up phones are just too much. The Evo at 4.3 was a great size and (for the time) quite a powerful device... why are we not seeing more manageable-sized phones with flagship specs? Do they simply need more space for the components and screen size is simply a byproduct?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Probably because they sell a hell of a lot more.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're crazy. It looks nothing like an Incredible.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

S6 just got announced. Honestly it looks like an iPhone 6.

No microSD slot and no swappable battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJIayQLY7c

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Samsung is hilariously shameless

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nerve posted:

Oddly I admire that about them.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

nerve posted:

"Totally new design"

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Literally removing the two features that people cling to (removable battery and microsd) in order to rip off the iPhone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm more annoyed that there is a green S6 coming out but only the Edge. I don't care for the Edge gimmick.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Literally removing the two features that people cling to (removable battery and microsd) in order to rip off the iPhone.

Literally the only two things that were worth from them. But hey, they need to sell more to counter their market share loss.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Do the edges of the Note Edge go all the way down? The S6 Edge doesn't seem to do that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Finally. If Android's biggest OEM is killing removable batteries and SD cards maybe we can finally move forward.

Samsung, you're shameless as gently caress but thank you.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol no it isn't, not at all. The m9 looks incredible.

Incredible for 2013-2014, you can't keep rehashing the same thing, not in this market anyway. It doesn't look bad, just dated.
Something is wrong when the differences between the M7 and the M9 are 80% internal.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

Incredible for 2013-2014, you can't keep rehashing the same thing, not in this market anyway. It doesn't look bad, just dated.
Something is wrong when the differences between the M7 and the M9 are 80% internal.

Maybe this would be true if any other android manufacturers were bringing out great looking phones every year, but they're not.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The M7 was light years ahead of the M8, both in terms of style and in-hand feel. If the M9 had been based on THAT, it would be an announcement to get excited about.

Also, :laffo: Samsung

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Skeezy posted:

S6 just got announced. Honestly it looks like an iPhone 6.

No microSD slot and no swappable battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QJIayQLY7c

But having this 128GB microSD in my S5 is literally the best thing about it. Guess I won't be getting an S6, hopefully someone else has a decent flagship coming with microSD support.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

But having this 128GB microSD in my S5 is literally the best thing about it. Guess I won't be getting an S6, hopefully someone else has a decent flagship coming with microSD support.

Not that I'd recommend it, but you could just buy the 128 GB S6

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

FistEnergy posted:

The M7 was light years ahead of the M8, both in terms of style and in-hand feel. If the M9 had been based on THAT, it would be an announcement to get excited about.

Also, :laffo: Samsung

So who's the going to step up as the new Android darling?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you Samsung, I'm very likely to have my work Bleckberry replaced by whatever piece of poo poo you're shipping in a month or so, and what you do is remove everything that made your phones stand out and make an iphone clone?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Maybe this would be true if any other android manufacturers were bringing out great looking phones every year, but they're not.

Doesn't mean they should stay stagnant. Apple will keep marching on with new designs. Samsung has released pretty nice stuff as well (the Note 4 is gorgeous) and the new S6 looks pretty drat nice (because its a ripoff). Xiaomi Mi Note is getting rave design reviews as well, if you want to include all Android manufacturers.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Logikv9 posted:

Id rather they be 100% internal, at least then you could share cases.

Still waiting for the Z4 announcement.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Between the M9 and the S6 I'm going towards the M9 (mostly because HTC hasn't hosed with me between the EVO 4G and the M7). HTC needs to come through and make a green variant of the M9 and it'll be perfect.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
M9
No wireless charging
No OIS

S6
No microsd
Bottom firing speaker

"better not throw all the features everyone wants into one phone, lest we sell too many" - android OEMs

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Logikv9 posted:

Doesn't mean they should stay stagnant. Apple will keep marching on with new designs. Samsung has released pretty nice stuff as well (the Note 4 is gorgeous) and the new S6 looks pretty drat nice (because its a ripoff). Xiaomi Mi Note is getting rave design reviews as well, if you want to include all Android manufacturers.

I don't like the look of any of the iphones I've seen, they all look meh.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

It's a little disappointing HTC didn't go all the way and add wireless charging.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

eric posted:

So who's the going to step up as the new Android darling?

The Xperia Z3 I bought last month is nearly perfect, and much better than my M7, which was the best phone I'd ever owned. Which was much better than the Samsung phones I fought with for years.

Sony makes amazing phones that are waterproof, use SD cards, and have great cameras. The question is, will they continue to do so?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skeezy posted:

It's a little disappointing HTC didn't go all the way and add wireless charging.

The metal body rather prevents that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I don't like the look of any of the iphones I've seen, they all look meh.

countdown to lawsuit #2 starts....now..