Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my top radiator was tucked way up in there and I had to kinda fling it out to where I could grab it. and I didn't realize that set screw was already in there for a second lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

my top radiator was tucked way up in there and I had to kinda fling it out to where I could grab it. and I didn't realize that set screw was already in there for a second lol

a lot of people don't catch that, and then just screw the fiberglass sections together and they never realize they have half an antenna

haha

(if you look at the amazon reviews, i put one up there and added tuning instructions because they werent anywhere else on the internet)

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
yeah I pulled up Amazon when I was trying to figure out wtf was going on. remembered reading something about that and realized it was your review. a couple people have replied to bad reviews referencing your tuning instructions. I don't have a swr meter so I'd have to borrow one but supposedly they come pretty flat from the factory. we will see.

USPS drops off the sma jumper I need then I'll at least be able to test at ground level or upstairs I guess. may just hook it to a fence top rail and hold that up or strap it to a wood fence post for now lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

attached to a wood fence post with a luggage tie down strap for now. I'll take it down after tomorrow night's net cause nothing besides the thing I posted earlier is waterproofed

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
built an ads-b antenna (this one: http://www.balarad.net ) in some scraps of free time over the last couple weeks, finished it today

plugged the sdr into a raspberry pi, networked it

local web view:

online feed: http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/bonzoesc

eyesore in the corner of my upstairs bedroom

need to get some furniture to hide it inside

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wanna know how i can identify what this spread spectrum chatter is about, its solid

timg for retina

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PuTTY riot posted:

does my waterproofing look ok jonny? I used temflex (I think this is the right stuff?) and then electrical tape over that to keep it from unwinding.

this stuff is real good for weatherpoofing http://www.westwayelectricsupply.com/2212-butyl-mastic-tape-for-wireless-market-2-1-2-x-24-w-label.html

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
first digital QSO on 30 meters just now, MFSK 16 with a german club station!

suppose I have to send a QSL card or something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
30 meters owns and is a band full of cool dudes. very nice :D

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
hi thred/Jonny

read the first page out of curiosity

this poo poo is crazy cool and I wish I had the time to do it but I gotta focus on other stuff I've already sunk $ into.

aight imma lurk & skim the thread now bye

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

30 meters owns and is a band full of cool dudes. very nice :D

I'm gonna start a band called 30 meters

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
30 metres to murs

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

I'm gonna start a band called 30 meters

the meters is a rly good band

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

PuTTY riot posted:

actually true

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

PuTTY riot posted:

actually true

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
repeater is p much toast so net is now simplex and it woudlve been the best time to have my antenna up in the air instead of in a second story window :(

good news is i made it into the problem 440 repeater, kinda noisy but im sure another 10+ feet and outside will fix that

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
only person i can copy clearly appears to be using an expired callsign lol

e: its a vanity he picked up theres just 2 ULS listings for some reason???

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 2, 2015

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

what books should i read for studying to get certified

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if you're just going for technician, the arrl book is fine. read through it once and take a practice test or two and you'll pass without a problem. i can't comment for higher levels

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
hamstudy.org

idk about books

study for the tech and general. tech is easy, general is also fairly easy and extra is hard.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah general is just like double the flash cards you gotta memorize, and its just an extension of the same poo poo as in tech

extra busts out actual math and theory and poo poo, and requires actual active thinking and logical brain application and ... learning ..

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
as of an hour ago I'm now officially the second repeater manager for my local ham group, first order of business: new regional D-Star UHF repeater

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

longview posted:

as of an hour ago I'm now officially the second repeater manager for my local ham group, first order of business: new regional D-Star UHF repeater

Check out the $500 yaesu system fusion deal if you might need an analog repeater.

apparently they are backed up because of the longshoreman strike or w/e and have containers full of repeaters sitting on the dock.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
we're planning on running a raspberry pi based repeater via PC Repeater Controller, reusing the old analog hardware

no one in the group is really interested in the fusion system + two adjacent groups have the system so we'll have coverage here as soon as they get those operational anyway

there's some interest in DMR though, when we have the dstar running i might push for that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
medium wave chat

this is one of my favorite articles

quote:

AM radio used to be different. It was the only thing on the air. At night, signals traveled thousands of miles through the noise-free sky, and everyone kept a DX log. The FRC/FCC made the 5 kW hayburners leave the air at sundown, leaving clear channels for the big guys. The only interference was the electric fence in the cattle yard.
If you lived way out on a farm, you probably depended on one or more of these distant, clear-channel stations for your only night time contact with the world. They were the Class 1-A's, the superstations, the flame throwers. They had callsigns like KFI (Farm Information), KOA (King Of Agriculture), WSM (We Shield Millions), and KRVN (Rural Voice of Nebraska). There were no market areas, no Arbs, no sound-alike syndications, and no graveyard buzz from hundreds of close-sited coffee-warmers. AM was bigger stuff than that, and Ohio's WLW was the biggest.

http://www.ominous-valve.com/wlw.html

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

quote:

A custom-built switching system allows instant connection from the primary Blaw-Knox, or a recently added backup tower, to any of the four working transmitters. Meanwhile, way out of sight in the back of the building, the 500 kW monster remains amazingly intact. It's in good shape, considering. The huge modulation transformers have been drained of PCB, a few parts are a bit rusty, and the catwalk is a tempting place to store things. Most of the huge tubes, though, are still clamped into place, as if awaiting the cool surge of the water and the order again to hurl lightning.

:smith:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
extension ladder acquired from work. i hope i dont die. gotta check out a leaky chimney too :/

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

nothing like standing on top of a ladder using both hands to really make you feel alive. gently caress me.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
hanging over the edge of the roof triggers me way harder. nope nope nope

e: impact driver and extension ladder loving w/ small childe nap time. gotta wait a bit to finish up

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 7, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

hanging over the edge of the roof triggers me way harder. nope nope nope

SUCKS doesnt it?

i had to do that on top of the bus to anchor the top mount for the mast. ever done that but with a drill using a cut off wood screw for a drill bit because you cant find any bits? hahahahh

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lol

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm not sure how I'm gonna get the other piece up so the mast is nice and level. or how I'm gonna get the mast up there at all. ahhhh

I only have one top rail section and I can't decide if I want to do another or not

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
start with one imo

is that the top bracket, half installed? i cant tell.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
its the bottom bracket dangling down. i took it up, marked w/ a sharpie on one side where it would fit, took it down, pilot hole, brought it back up, impact driver'd it in but not all the way down and then heard smallchild making noise. ill move the ladder to the other side, pull it up, level, mark and repeat. the top bracket is actually really small.

heres the exact product

e: i guess i can get it figured out w/ my level

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 7, 2015

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm bad at this and I can't believe I'm not dead

not level or even with the roof peak :(

I think I need a helper

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i suggest hanging a plumbline off of the center of the roof

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oi i got a pair of plums hangin right here for u

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spankmeister posted:

i suggest hanging a plumbline off of the center of the roof

this is a good idea. a guy on the club listserv suggested putting it all together on the ground and then marking where I need to drill. maybe a combination of yall's suggestions would work.

think I could use a scrap piece of PVC to do that? the fence rail is kinda heavy and unweildy, esp on a ladder

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ham radio is literally going to kill me. now that I quit smoking I ought to look into the life insurance beyond what my work offers w/o a medical exam.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

PuTTY riot posted:

ham radio is literally going to kill me. now that I quit smoking I ought to look into the life insurance beyond what my work offers w/o a medical exam.....

how much does it cost to just rent a GD cherry picker for an hour

• Locked thread