Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I can't beat the silver rathalos :negative:

gently caress that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Veskit posted:

For Caravan one you just have to play very defensive, I was popping dash juice to keep my stamina up

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Stormgale posted:

For Caravan one you just have to play very defensive, I was popping dash juice to keep my stamina up

I make it all the way to him being pretty much down to the final 10% because he goes in perma rage and I just lose focus and lose the fight. I"ll try two more times and if I fail i'll make a better weapon for it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Is Seregios Hammer a good pick for high rank stuff or is it time to start worrying about elemental stuff and status effects? Been using my (twice upgraded) relic hammer I got from an LR expedition but I just got the parts for the Seregios one

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

What are you supposed to do against khezu, basarios and gravios? Khezu is an rear end in a top hat climbing around on every kind of thing, and the rock dragons are just huge HP sponges.

Khezu: Climb up there with it, use a jump attack and knock him off the ceiling. Alternatively, use bounce bombs. When it comes to wall-climbing assholes Khezu is a breath of fresh air compared to Gigginox, which I hope to never have to see again.

Basarios: Mount him repeatedly, get the back break. He's much easier to kill then. Or just use a bowgun.

Gravios: Keep attacking his chest. You're not getting any significant breaks unless you've got a stupidly powerful weapon, or a gunlance.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^ Khezu at least in high rank can take 4 bounce bombs and a jump attack and not lose his grip, getting 2 jump attacks on him before he decides to fall isn't easy.

Veskit posted:

I make it all the way to him being pretty much down to the final 10% because he goes in perma rage and I just lose focus and lose the fight. I"ll try two more times and if I fail i'll make a better weapon for it.

The biggest 2 problems for me when learning the fight were Rage Roar into attack (with maybe a wind buffet stun in the middle) and me clipping his torso/head and getting the painfully long bounce animation into a nasty combo. He's kinda like khezu for me where he's just a long low intensity fight (at least offensively, on the defense yeah that fucker is intense))

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 1, 2015

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is the Chaotic Gore Magala actually way tougher than a regular gore, or am I just out of practice fighting gores?

Veskit posted:

I just super-turtled with a gunlance. It has a ton of defensive options. Wearing the Lunastra armor with like 25 fire res also helped.

goferchan posted:

Is Seregios Hammer a good pick for high rank stuff or is it time to start worrying about elemental stuff and status effects? Been using my (twice upgraded) relic hammer I got from an LR expedition but I just got the parts for the Seregios one

Hammers never really have to worry about status or elemental damage. They're not worthless or anything if you want to use them, but you're just fine without them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I hear the Seregios hammer is one of the better weapons of his as well; get Razor Sharp on it, since it doesn't need Sharpness +1, whatever other skills you want, and roll around a lot to keep purple sharpness. Also, its scales flare out the way Seregios's do when you charge it and that's cool.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Does felyne explorer not work 100% of the time? Does it work in gather quests?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Veskit posted:

Does felyne explorer not work 100% of the time? Does it work in gather quests?

explorer should be guaranteed if it is possible to spawn in the hidden area on a given quest. That means it does not work on gathering quests harvest tours.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
What exactly is the "weakness" of switch axes? Like every weapon has a noteworthy downside or at least an annoying upkeep cost of some sort but switch axe just seems great all around.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rascyc posted:

What exactly is the "weakness" of switch axes? Like every weapon has a noteworthy downside or at least an annoying upkeep cost of some sort but switch axe just seems great all around.

I guess not being able to guard is unusual for a weapon that lowers your movement speed that much. They're pretty good but not super OP or anything.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Brachydios looks like a cross between a wyvern and a jar of pickles, but it's a pretty fun fight. Is there an armor skill that protects against blast? I don't see it on the Brachydios set.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Rascyc posted:

If something auto sheathes your weapon you get knocked out of sword mode too? :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Despite their unimpressive appearance I keep falling for Lances over and over. Such mobility while being able to guard is just godly to me.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

sitchelin posted:

Khezu: Climb up there with it, use a jump attack and knock him off the ceiling. Alternatively, use bounce bombs. When it comes to wall-climbing assholes Khezu is a breath of fresh air compared to Gigginox, which I hope to never have to see again.

Basarios: Mount him repeatedly, get the back break. He's much easier to kill then. Or just use a bowgun.

Gravios: Keep attacking his chest. You're not getting any significant breaks unless you've got a stupidly powerful weapon, or a gunlance.

For the rock dragons, just bring a hunting horn and pop the bog-standard no-bounce ability. Never worry about sharpness again!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Note that even though ESP makes you not bounce, you still do the reduced damage and (IIRC) take increased sharpness loss as if you bounced, so it's still better to hit places where you wouldn't bounce in the first place.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

You have to be in sword mode to get great damage, and in that mode you are basically a gunlance without a shield. Infinite combos help you make better use of step dodges, but you're still vulnerable.

Otherwise, you're really looking at things the wrong way. Weapons are not really about strength/weaknesses. They're just about playstyle.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 1, 2015

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sitchelin posted:

Proper solution: Bring an Insect Glaive, get the Red buff at the very least, and proceed to do as many jump attacks as you can, since those don't bounce, and you'll basically have everything broken/cut before the fight ends. Also, and maybe I've just gotten super lucky, but Gravios in particular seems incredibly susceptible to jump attacks. Black Gravios, too. Those guys spend more time rolling around on the ground than they do standing and attacking you.

Black Gravios is also a huge rear end in a top hat who is perfectly content to beamspam ten times in a row. Don't think you're safe just because you're up above his head. He's got no problems angling that beam and slapping your poo poo out of the sky.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

From what I hear the Seregios hammer is one of the better weapons of his as well; get Razor Sharp on it, since it doesn't need Sharpness +1, whatever other skills you want, and roll around a lot to keep purple sharpness. Also, its scales flare out the way Seregios's do when you charge it and that's cool.

Oh that's awesome-- I just unlocked the Omen In The Sky quest, and it looks like I can get everything I need for the Rath Soul set now so I think that'll be my next goal. Thanks!

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Ciaphas posted:

Despite their unimpressive appearance I keep falling for Lances over and over. Such mobility while being able to guard is just godly to me.

They're also underrated as status effect machines, and status application is always fun. One of my favorite moments from MH3U was a two player hunt against G rank Plesioth with a random lancer. We both had Barroth armor on, and I was using the best poison lance while the other used the best paralysis lance. The fish did not know a single consecutive two minutes of peace, took it down several times just as fast as most full hunting teams I played with, if not faster.

Regarding egg quest chat: You can also just pause the delivery effort and straight up kill the monsters harassing you. Just one should be sufficient, and they both have reduced HP anyway.

Sard fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 1, 2015

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Once I smarted up and watched a Youtube tutorial for the mechanics (somehow I missed that R+A made the bug come back), Insect Glaive has been super fun. Except against monsters who see a bug coming for their face and turn around constantly so I can't get red essence.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the cat theme on the 3ds theme shop is really good

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kiggles posted:

You have to be in sword mode to get great damage, and in that mode you are basically a gunlance without a shield. Infinite combos help you make better use of step dodges, but you're still vulnerable.

Otherwise, you're really looking at things the wrong way. Weapons are not really about strength/weaknesses. They're just about playstyle.

Axe more is super underrated and can pump out a decent amount of damage with the added bonus of reach and mobility.

Sword mode is still stronger, but you can do a lot in axe mode that you can't do on sword mode while keeping the DPS up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wait, Rath Soul armor requires two of an item with a 4% drop chance? Ok I guess the Real Monster Hunter Starts Here

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Armor-Piercing posted:

Brachydios looks like a cross between a wyvern and a jar of pickles, but it's a pretty fun fight. Is there an armor skill that protects against blast? I don't see it on the Brachydios set.

The biology skill makes it so you can't be afflicted with blastblight, which is somewhat helpful. You might need +15 I don't remember.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Zurai posted:

Once I smarted up and watched a Youtube tutorial for the mechanics (somehow I missed that R+A made the bug come back), Insect Glaive has been super fun. Except against monsters who see a bug coming for their face and turn around constantly so I can't get red essence.

Once you learn their patterns you can start throwing your bug to where their head will be and snagging that sweet, sweet red essence.

People who bitch about "red essence upkeep is dumb" are just poo poo at using the bug.

Insect Glaives: How I learned to stop vaulting and love the bug

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Anyone having trouble with Advanced: Shipping Out? Dahren refuses to let me hop on him to break his blowholes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Haquer posted:

Once you learn their patterns you can start throwing your bug to where their head will be and snagging that sweet, sweet red essence.

People who bitch about "red essence upkeep is dumb" are just poo poo at using the bug.

When I first picked it up I felt like I would never get over the red essence upkeep, but after it using it for G rank I do it almost unconsciously. There are a few monsters it's a pain in the rear end for though (Gravios!).

sitchelin posted:

Anyone having trouble with Advanced: Shipping Out? Dahren refuses to let me hop on him to break his blowholes.

That's definitely the hardest break to get, but it's not like you need to do it and the reward is nothing special. In stage two sometimes he'll stop moving a bit an you can climb up onto his back and attack it then.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Is there a way to force your 3DS to use a specific wifi? I'm able to pick up a Starbucks wifi and it's a lovely connection. Can I ensure that it uses my wifi, which is closer, better, and faster?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Elysiume posted:

Is there a way to force your 3DS to use a specific wifi? I'm able to pick up a Starbucks wifi and it's a lovely connection. Can I ensure that it uses my wifi, which is closer, better, and faster?

It should be in the network settings options.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Axe more is super underrated and can pump out a decent amount of damage with the added bonus of reach and mobility.

Sword mode is still stronger, but you can do a lot in axe mode that you can't do on sword mode while keeping the DPS up

While the moveset is good, the damage on Axe mode has been consistently tuned down from game to game. The overhead chop lost like 25% of it's damage since Tri. The upswing lost over 40% of it's power, although you can roll into it now, so just looking at coefficients only counts for so much.

The flurry helps axe mode exploit some of the opennings is awesome moveset can create, but for axe mode to make those openings and otherwise exploit that moveset you really have to know the moveset, and even then, if you have an opening you're almost always better off to hit sword mode and spam attacks and finish with an element burst.

Again, don't get me wrong, the moveset is incredible, and if I could get an axe weapon that was just the axe mode, with a tad bit more damage the SA numbers, I'd be a happy camper. But seriously, axe mode has lost a lot of power over the games and you really have to work to keep the damage up. Not SnS work, but definitely toeing the line with your weapon range.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

sitchelin posted:

In some quests he's just like that. Like an unofficial subspecies: Irritating Dah'ren Mohran.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

sitchelin posted:

I have this problem too--the first time I did Dahren I had very little idea of what I was doing and managed to follow the red arrows and crawl on his back, which he more or less considerately left open for me. I've fought him twice more, and he refused to let me get on his back until the final showdown both times, no matter what I did. Mostly that fight seems like a lot of health tax and time wasting.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

goferchan posted:

Wait, Rath Soul armor requires two of an item with a 4% drop chance? Ok I guess the Real Monster Hunter Starts Here

Yeah, but if you break his head & back, then capture you basically have like a 20% chance to get it. Also, it can be a shiny drop, and getting shiny drops off Rathalos is super easy (just flash bomb him when he's flying), so it's not so bad. I only had to hunt him like 7 or 8 times to get everything I needed for the set.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Pyronic posted:

It should be in the network settings options.
I just see a list of configured connections, not the ability to pick one from a list of available ones. Will it never connect to a wifi not in the list, even if it's unsecured?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

goferchan posted:

The thing to note about drop rates is they are not singular. That 4% may be the BEST chance per hunt, but it will rarely be the ONLY chance. Shiny drops will often have a 2% chance. Tail carves. The 4% is usually on a body carve, of which you get like 3+ chances, and usually stacks with the general quest reward %, which can trigger repeatedly. However many items you see in the top row is how many times you rolled for the rare drop. Capturing is similar, though it naturally precludes the carves. Do a little research to see whether you want to capture or kill.

So yeah, don't just look at the %. Your odds are generally much better by a function of volume, and every so often you will walk away with three or four of that rare item. Najarala Chilling Beaks are only 5% n LR, but you have three chances from carving the body, a fourth chance after the quest from breaking the head, at 8%, and a fifth (only 3%) from breaking the back. Additionally, most of the quests will have additional chances (per tile you see a reward) for yielding the thing at 6%, so while the individual odds are low, and it is very likely going to take a long time, you have much better odds for receiving at least one than the individual odds would indicate, and a non-trivial chance of receiving more than one.

But yeah, now it is time for you to hunt monsters. Not because you enjoy it. Not because they are threatening the locals. You do it because you need their parts.

Good luck!

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 1, 2015

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I feel like an idiot. I started out and bought a gunlance with the starter money that the game gives you. But apparently I already have beginner weapons in some sort of box inventory? Where is this / how do I access it?

Elysiume posted:

I just see a list of configured connections, not the ability to pick one from a list of available ones. Will it never connect to a wifi not in the list, even if it's unsecured?

You can pick 3 networks for the system to "remember". System Settings > Internet Settings > Connection Settings (GIANT BLUE BUTTON). Then you can assign connection 1, 2, 3.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Etrips posted:

I feel like an idiot. I started out and bought a gunlance with the starter money that the game gives you. But apparently I already have beginner weapons in some sort of box inventory? Where is this / how do I access it?
Go into your house and open the box. In the first town your house is in the bottom right, or you can open the map, click the town, and select your house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Veskit posted:

I farmed him a bit to make some armor and I found that the biggest problem I had was getting impatient with him spending 60% of the fight in the air spamming fireballs, leading to me doing stupid things like running at his hanging tail to try to get a hit in. Then I remembered that flash bombs will knock flyers out of the air and let you get some free shots in, and things got a little smoother.

• Locked thread