Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I really hope that NISA goes back to Katanagatari the way they went back to Toradora, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't have the same kind of sales potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

The Devil Tesla posted:

I really hope that NISA goes back to Katanagatari the way they went back to Toradora, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't have the same kind of sales potential.

There's likely some rights issues with Aniplex of Japan similar to Wagnaria season 2 and Anohana, so I have my doubts we'll see a standard edition release with or without a dub.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Me and my buddies have a weekly anime night, and this year we decided to do theme months. Giant Robot January, Fantasy February, and now we've decided it's Magical Girl March. I know basically nothing about the genre, so what are some good magical girl movies/OVAs/episodic series?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Princess Tutu

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Madoka Magica

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

GorfZaplen posted:

Me and my buddies have a weekly anime night, and this year we decided to do theme months. Giant Robot January, Fantasy February, and now we've decided it's Magical Girl March. I know basically nothing about the genre, so what are some good magical girl movies/OVAs/episodic series?

Whatever you choose, I hope next month is Your Lie In April April

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This is great. Madoka Magica is a taste thing, it's good but I personally hate it. Uh...Cardcaptor Sakura is actually really really good, but also really really long. Cosmic Baton Girl Princess Comet is an excellent modern take on the old 80s version of magical girls. ('Girl has magic, does stuff, slice of life-y' rather than 'fight evil'. Studio Pierrot used to do a lot of it.) Nurse Angel Ririka is excellent, as is Super Doll Licca-Chan. Which is basically a show made for a Japanese Barbie franchise, but it somehow ended up being really fun. Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha may or may not count depending on your standards, and is very good. Pretear is excellent - a really top-quality take on Cinderella, basically.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heartcatch Precure if you can get through a 50 episode series in a month.

Most of the Sailor Moon movies are okay, if you're all vaguely familiar with the franchise.

Princess Tutu.

Revolutionary Girl Utena, if you can get through a 40ish episode series in a month.

Magic Knight Rayearth.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Note that many of the actually good magical girl shows are kid's animes, so they have 50-episode runs. Exceptions include Princess Tutu, Pretear and Inari. (More adult-oriented magical girl stuff tends to be absolute dogshit because it's pure fanservice grossness.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions, the shows that are over 12-13 episodes long probably aren't going to happen since we only meet once a week and not long enough for 50 ep stuff. I'm guessing we'll watch various episodic stuff and old stuff, Pretear, and the Sailor Moon movies.

e: Which is the Sailor Moon movie with the woman who kidnaps masses of kids and puts them in freaky looking ships? I remember liking that one when I saw it on Toonami.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, the shows that are over 12-13 episodes long probably aren't going to happen since we only meet once a week and not long enough for 50 ep stuff. I'm guessing we'll watch various episodic stuff and old stuff, Pretear, and the Sailor Moon movies.

e: Which is the Sailor Moon movie with the woman who kidnaps masses of kids and puts them in freaky looking ships? I remember liking that one when I saw it on Toonami.

If it makes any difference, Princess Tutu is 26 episodes long. I just finished watching it a while ago, and the last 5 or so episodes were particularly good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Princess Tutu is a pretty baller series. If you don't know anything about Magical Girls, though, it might be slightly off-putting. Still pretty good. (26 Episodes)

Magic Knight Rayearth is basically an early 90's JRPG with Magical Girls as protagonists by way of CLAMP. The first season is pretty loving good. Your enjoyment of the 2nd season is entirely dependent on how you feel about the show after the first season has ended. (20 episodes for the first season / 29 for the second)

Oh, and if you want to laugh your rear end off, then you owe it to yourself to watch Dai Mahou Touge.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

There's always the original Cutie Honey series. Is a fun show and only 25 episodes.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Just be sure to close out March with Madoka. That's a pretty good way to end it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GorfZaplen posted:

I still recommend that you include a bit of Princess Tutu and Madoka, because they are both really interesting takes on the genre and you and your friends should introduce yourselves to them. Even if you don't plan on finishing them during your get-togethers, a few episodes might get some of you interested in finishing them on your own time, and they're absolutely worth it. I know that without this forum I would NEVER have given Princess Tutu a second glance, for instance, but I'm really glad I listened to the people here and watched it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I put the warning on Madoka because, at least for me, it was magical girl stuff for people who don't actually like magical girl stuff. I am an unironic fan of the hopeful-and-sparkly kind, and so the tone of Madoka Magica toward it all really put me off, and what my friends have told me about what's happened to it since has only strengthened my intense dislike for it. For me, the magical girl genre is very much about hope and love winning out over despair. I understand that this eventually happens in Madoka, but the leadup to it is just so very much not it and without the sparkly aesthetic that I enjoy that I just could not bring myself to watch it.

(Also I understand that this all gets undone in the movies and hope and love turn out to have been absolutely terrible and wrong.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Regarding the third Madoka movie (the first two are recaps), the perspective I put on it is to compare it to End of Evangelion's relationship to its series: while ultimately a lot of dark stuff happens the final message was quite positive. The people who threw up their hands about how either "ruined" their respective TV series either missed the signs that were always there or didn't ruminate on the actual messages in the films. I'd even go against the grain that a lot of people want another movie/series/story to wrap it up "for real"; to me Rebellion's ending is a good enough send-off and one I wound up liking more than the TV series' one as time went on.

Madoka is good, if you had to pick only two shows I'd say it and Princess Tutu are your best bets given the criteria provided.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nate RFB posted:

Regarding the third Madoka movie (the first two are recaps), the perspective I put on it is to compare it to End of Evangelion's relationship to its series: while ultimately a lot of dark stuff happens the final message was quite positive. The people who threw up their hands about how either "ruined" their respective TV series either missed the signs that were always there or didn't ruminate on the actual messages in the films. I'd even go against the grain that a lot of people want another movie/series/story to wrap it up "for real"; to me Rebellion's ending is a good enough send-off and one I wound up liking more than the TV series' one as time went on.

Madoka is good, if you had to pick only two shows I'd say it and Princess Tutu are your best bets given the criteria provided.

After recently re-reading that manga about the making of Mobile Suit Gundam, I think the closest thing to Madoka is Gundam. Except, you know, with a poo poo-ton more of success.

Maybe not in terms of cultural impact, though. Yet.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Most of us have already seen Madoka, I probably should have mentioned that. I might save Rebellion for the last week.

Nipponophile posted:

Nurse Witch Komugi-chan

Oh poo poo, one of my buddies has wanted us to watch this for awhile but I forgot what it was called.

I think for the first night I'm just going to show a fuckload of different series and then we'll talk about what we want to see more of.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

For me, the magical girl genre is very much about hope and love winning out over despair.

This idea that a genre is about a message is a bit foreign to me. Is this a commonly held opinion? I mean I've never thought of the mecha genre as having any messages intrinsically, other than maybe "toys are awesome and you should buy them." Fantasy genre can have any number of messages, as can scifi. I'm sure both uplifting and depressing slice of life shows exist. The idea that magical girl shows have to carry this specific marriage about hope and love is a little confusing to me and my understanding of what constitutes a genre.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it isn't something intrinsic to the genre but it's something a lot of the genre either uses directly or plays with

see: hot-blooded power and determination winning out in super robot shows.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Magical girl stuff is...well, again, 'for me' is important here, but still. But it can be divided into two rough groups - shows for kids (particularly girls) and shows for adult nerd men.

The former are the ones I enjoy almost exclusively and they are (again almost exclusively) sparkly, happy stuff about the power of love/hope/friendship and its ability to defeat despair and hatred. There's older stuff - back in the 80s, mostly - which was more about slice of life adventures with magical powers; even then, it was often about friendship or achieving your dreams. The battle-magical girl stuff of more recent years can and often does get pretty dark, but retains a very sparkly aesthetic and while often somewhat bittersweet, it almost always has hope and love win out in the end.

The latter are mostly about tits, asses and panty shots, for the most part.

Basically: Magical girl stuff is an incredibly specific subgenre, both aesthetically and thematically.

E: The comparison to super robot stuff is apt, though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A magical girl story aimed at kids having a different focus than a magical girl story aimed at adults shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

To hop from Eastern to Western comics, I sure didn't go into reading Watchmen or Miracleman expecting to find a fun uplifting Superman story.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 2, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

This idea that a genre is about a message is a bit foreign to me. Is this a commonly held opinion? I mean I've never thought of the mecha genre as having any messages intrinsically, other than maybe "toys are awesome and you should buy them." Fantasy genre can have any number of messages, as can scifi. I'm sure both uplifting and depressing slice of life shows exist. The idea that magical girl shows have to carry this specific marriage about hope and love is a little confusing to me and my understanding of what constitutes a genre.

Most Super Robot shows are about believing in your own power/taking responsibility for your actions. Real Robot shows are about war being a Bad Thing. though they're both really about toys being awesome and you should buy more of them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also, magical girl shows for kids are also about selling toys, so, that's also a thing.

(And no, Madoka doesn't surprise me - I just don't like it. I prefer the really earnest ones.)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

see: hot-blooded power and determination winning out in super robot shows.

If it includes the music of JAM Project, even better. :ssj:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

a kitten posted:

A magical girl story aimed at kids having a different focus than a magical girl story aimed at adults shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

To hop from Eastern to Western comics, I sure didn't go into reading Watchmen or Miracleman expecting to find a fun uplifting Superman story.

Again - that's not what I was expecting.

(Though, in fairness, I understand that the marketing for Madoka actually did go out of its way to try and present itself as a sparkly normal magical girl thing before gutpunching viewers.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Most Super Robot shows are about believing in your own power/taking responsibility for your actions. Real Robot shows are about war being a Bad Thing. though they're both really about toys being awesome and you should buy more of them.

I guess my problem is that while those are both messages that show up a lot in mecha, neither of them are really a rule. I mean, Valvrave, as an example, was about neither of those things, but if someone came in here looking for mecha recs, I couldn't imagine anyone saying "Valvrave just isn't what the mecha genre is about, it doesn't have any messages about believing in your own power or how awful war is!" (I mean I don't think it did. It can be kinda hard to decipher what that show was going for at all, really)

Or, say, Evangelion. I, admittedly, haven't seen a ton of Evangelion (I think I made it to like episode 8 before I got too bored to continue), but I'm pretty sure that wasn't about either war or hot bloodedness, but it's very undeniably mecha.

It just seems like while those messages are common in the genre, I can't fathom anyone saying that they're at all what the genre is really about. (not meant as an insult to Mors Rattus, I just genuinely don't understand it)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You can take it to mean 'these are the parts of the genre I really like' if you want. I'm not about to say that Madoka isn't magical girl - it is.

I might argue the point on Utena as being fringe, but it's been accepted as magical girl for so long that I'd pretty much be the 'wrong' opinion there. (Utena is quite good, as a note, though I didn't enjoy it as much as a lot of people seem to.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

utena is magical girl but also not really

i feel like a lot of the problem with the magical girl genre (and the mecha genre to a lesser extent) is people applying the label based on a checklist rather than what the show is actually about.

are there giant robots? then it's mecha. doesn't matter what it's about or how it's written. does a young girl get magical powers of some sort? then it's magical girl. doesn't matter what it's about or how it's written.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is that a problem? You could say the same thing about the Fantasy genre couldn't you?

What's a genre you couldn't say that about?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

utena is magical girl but also not really

i feel like a lot of the problem with the magical girl genre (and the mecha genre to a lesser extent) is people applying the label based on a checklist rather than what the show is actually about.

are there giant robots? then it's mecha. doesn't matter what it's about or how it's written. does a young girl get magical powers of some sort? then it's magical girl. doesn't matter what it's about or how it's written.

The reason it gets that label is because, overwhelmingly, MG shows are about those same themes of hope/love/friendship being the winning trait. Even Madoka, despite its dark storyline, ultimately reinforces those ideals.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Endorph posted:

Come on, man, that's what a genre is. A categorization based on certain key features so that generally, people who go into it will know what to expect on a very broad level.

There is nothing wrong with this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but there's a difference between 'this show's a romance' or 'this show's a drama' and 'this show has a female lead and she has magic powers, so i guess it's a magical girl show even though it has almost nothing in common with other shows of that genre'

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I mean if you threw in "she changes into frilly clothes before using her powers" then yeah I don't watch magical girl stuff but that sounds like magical girl to me

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Endorph posted:

Endorph posted:

yeah but there's a difference between 'this show's a romance' or 'this show's a drama' and 'this show has a female lead and she has magic powers, so i guess it's a magical girl show even though it has almost nothing in common with other shows of that genre'

So what you're saying is that it's only a magical girl show if it ticks the boxes on your arbitrary checklist (hope/love/friendship wins)?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait what

im not the person who said that magical girl shows were about hope

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

wait what

im not the person who said that magical girl shows were about hope

It's true, he didn't.

But you are saying

Endorph posted:

Which makes no sense. The entire point of the word "genre" is to connect different shows/books/etc. together by their defining elements in order to categorize them. A MG show is one where young girls get magical powers and can transform into frilly, exotic costumes, and generally suggest themes of hope/love/friendship; that is the definition of an MG show, not an arbitrary label, and a meaningful one considering the sheer number of MG shows out there that share those characteristics. Anyone could make up a new genre by picking some arbitrary element and, technically, it can be a legitimate descriptor, but it probably won't be a useful one given the list of genres we already have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

destroy the magical girl genre

replace it with 'action shoujo'

• Locked thread