Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

Calling something the best DBZ game isn't really a high point anyway. One day DBZ games will not be complete garbage!

That day is here now and it's called dragonball xenoverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Terper posted:

Press R3. It will zoom the radar out. I just noticed that five minutes ago, trying to get Fighting Pose E. That IS the one that raises normal attack power, right?
yes.

because i am a spergy min/max nerd, i've been thinking a lot about the "optimal" ways to play each race/sex. part of it is also figuring out which classes are BEST for each role, and i think i have most of it down. with all of this, keep in mind that race/sex selection's effects are minimal and you really SHOULD play whatever you want. i'm also gonna go over the race-specific (and color customizable) costume options for each race to further the min/maxery. at this point i'm still not sure if clothing offers a flat point bonus or if it is percentage based, so i can't tell just how much clothing matters, but i think either way it is a not-insignificant amount.

male/female majins are tanks, that's pmuch it. there is very little difference in the sexes of buus so i think buus are the safest pick if you just want to make one character and stick with that character forever. they're just durable, which means you can spend more of your time focusing on how you want to hurt people than how you want to defend yourselves. and as has been discussed, if you want to make a character that just will not die, make a majin and give it a health restore z-soul. i don't know how severe the stamina recover debuff is so i can't speak on that. the majin specific clothing pumps ki blasts and ki, ki blasts and stamina, or ki blasts and health. all majin clothes lower basic atk and strike super.

namekian racials lend more towards defense as well, but more towards evasion than pure health thanks to their stamina regen. the problem is that i personally think that stamina regen is just garbage. it may just be my playstyle, but i tend to find myself very rarely standing still or not dashing/punching, so increased stamina regen isn't noticeable to me. however, as i type this, i realize that i rarely run out of stamina and i'm using it so it's getting regened here and there, so maybe having increased stamina regen helps. they get a passive health regen when health is low and that's always good. the items being more effective thing is... worthless i think. i don't know how much this effects items but really it doesn't matter. i currently don't have a great grasp on where namekians fit in. namekian clothing boosts strike supers/basic atk/stamina, health, ki/ki blasts, or health/ki blasts. namekian clothing lowers either ki blast supers or basic atk/strike super.

frieza dudes are interesting. i haven't played one yet so my observations may be off. it seems the only thing really special about frieza dudes is the paralyze on ki shots, and i haven't seen it, but other people claim it is actually very very good. since ki shots aren't really an important part of anyone's gameplan, it doesn't really matter that they only get single shots as opposed to bursts. frieza dudes seem to me to be able to play any role well, though their clothing options are ki/basic/strike, stamina/basic/strike, health/basic/strike, and stamina/basic/strike again (this one >>>>>), so it seems the game encourages you to play more strike based than ki blasts, especially since all their clothing options lower ki blasts.

now for saiyans and humans. i'm gonna do them together because a) they share race specific clothing and b) they look the exact same. these ones are the hardest to really zero in on, but here's what i've found. humans, regardless of sex, are the best basic attackers. no contest. they are probably the only race that so clearly dominates in one field. this is because of their "raises atk at max ki" which is substantial. this only REALLY matters if you're building specifically for that though, as most characters wanna be using their ki all the time. beyond that, the difference between human sexes is just strike supers and ki supers, so pick a dude if you wanna use strikes, lady if you wanna use ki blasts. that said, humans also regenerate ki passively which is an ability NO ONE else has without z-souls. i personally think this is the best racial in the game and makes humans easily the best race.

saiyans are interesting because they really are very boom or bust. they can be the most op thing in the game (thanks to super saiyan, not even to mention the potential of unlimited super saiyan) or just meh. now, saiyan says "attack power rises when health is low", which to me only means basic attacks because "attack" is usually used to refer only to basic attack. this could be wrong because "ki blast" is used to refer both to the super and the standard ki shots so who knows. bad documentation. without testing (which i won't do) i really have no idea how significant or if at all this can be. the stat rise after reviving is either worthless or hilarious, depending on if you exploit the infinite super saiyan thing. for the most part it's worthless cause dying is bad. as for sexes, males say "stronger melee" which i THINK just refers to basic attacks but again who knows bad documentation. buffs last longer for males which COULD be something but i don't think so. buffs aren't particularly significant enough to make this matter. ladies get z assists more frequently (really interesting), better ki/stam recovery, but lower health. in summary, this would all make me think that male saiyans are best for being buffed up basic attack guys and ladies for being ki spenders, whether it be strike or ki. the problem with a basic attack saiyan is that humans are better at it. male saiyans probably make better "balanced" basic attack guys, since they don't have to worry about staying at full ki to get the damage bonus. i'm hard pressed to think of a reason (other than wanting) to play a male saiyan over a female. everything about lady saiyans makes them better than dudes in my opinion. curious if people disagree on this.

human/saiyan clothing boosts health/ki blasts, stamina/basic/strike (male only and this outfit doesn't have hands for some reason), ki/ki blasts (females only), ki/basic/strike, or health/ki (>>>>>, so most significant one here)

i mostly wrote this as an exercize to compile my thoughts on all this stuff but there you go. obviously you should play whatever you want and looking cool is what it's all about, so do whatever. and really all of these things don't matter that much in the grand scheme of things, the one exception being super saiyan and it's completely game-breaking nature.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Haha I just tried the PQ that Kid Trunks gives you, Super Ultimate Battle or whatever, and I got to the last stage and Goku and Gohan just juggled me with their Ultimate Kamehamehas for a 92 hit combo and I lost. Owned.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

That day is here now and it's called dragonball xenoverse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Calling something the best DBZ game isn't really a high point anyway. One day DBZ games will not be complete garbage!
There's been plenty of decent DBZ games, really. The DS RPG by the Xenoblade devs was pretty good, if filled with filler. A lot of the fighting games have been serviceable. Legacy of Goku 2 and 3 were alright zelda-style RPGs. (the first was godawful, though.)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Fun game with the character creator but I wouldn't consider this the best, since it has been done before. Combat is pretty bland with the AI not having to manage resources. The rest of the game involves so much grind, it literally requires you to have autism.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

projecthalaxy posted:

Haha I just tried the PQ that Kid Trunks gives you, Super Ultimate Battle or whatever, and I got to the last stage and Goku and Gohan just juggled me with their Ultimate Kamehamehas for a 92 hit combo and I lost. Owned.

Goten is in there too, and usually it's best to take care of him first cause he doesn't have much health. But what you should really be doing is praying that you can land enough hits before the kamehameha barrage begins, which it always will.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

Fun game with the character creator but I wouldn't consider this the best, since it has been done before. Combat is pretty bland with the AI not having to manage resources. The rest of the game involves so much grind, it literally requires you to have autism.

Thanks for being gross, guy. That was totally necessary.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd be happy if PQ secrets were 100% trying to farm poo poo when even when you do the requirements the boss still has a chance of not appearing and even when he does appear your chances of getting what you want are small is too much.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

BattleCattle posted:

Thanks for being gross, guy. That was totally necessary.

I agree autists are.disgusting

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
gently caress all y'all. Game's rad as gently caress. Enjoy it for what it is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 1, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can I get an invite to the steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lowensodium/

Want to see about doing some PQs with Goons.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Oh god, PQ21. How? How is this possible?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Killsion posted:

Just lvl up 10 times man, its not that hard.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Also, the more I play the more i'm sure the NPC's in later PQ's don't actually have infinite ki and stamina bars. The ones I see spamming ultimates are usually trans'd Saiyans or something. Or if they're playable you can see they have a loving ridiculously long bar by playing as them.

You're just getting trashed by the same lame ultimate spamming trick that fucks over so many NPC's. If they're getting some sort of boost it's most likely a percentage multiplier or something. It doesn't feel so good when you're on the other end of it though, does it? :getin:

Now, you want something to rage at? Check out Android 17's ultimate. drat near impossible to avoid if he's at close range when he starts to cast and it'll take like half a health bar off of your average character. Broken doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with this rear end in a top hat when he pops up in PQ's and it's slowly driving me nuts.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 1, 2015

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Killsion posted:

I had to take ssj4 Vegeta and gogeta, with 3 all-energy capsules (m, l, Z) and a single self energy Z capsule. Just scraped it with them both ko'd by the time I whittled it down to just goku.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Is "Don't underestimate Earth" Buyable? Or do I have to grind this PQ for another hour :(

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Archonex posted:

Also, the more I play the more i'm sure the NPC's in later PQ's don't actually have infinite ki and stamina bars.

This is actually correct because they do not have ki and stamina bars.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

cams posted:

a lot of words

So for Maijin its best to spec into strikes? I was a bit confused since the clothing all buffs ki blasts etc

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Archonex posted:

gently caress all y'all. Game's rad as gently caress. Enjoy it for what it is.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

This is actually correct because they do not have ki and stamina bars.

Is there any proof of this? I mean, i'm not being contrary. I'm actually curious since I can't think of any way to actually see this was the case outside of poking around in the game files or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the main quest NPC's were like this, but the way some of the PQ characters fight looks more like they just have a poo poo ton of resources to draw off of.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Archonex posted:

Is there any proof of this? I mean, i'm not being contrary. I'm actually curious since I can't think of any way to actually see this was the case outside of poking around in the game files or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the main quest NPC's were like this, but the way some of the PQ characters fight looks more like they just have a poo poo ton of resources to draw off of.
It seems the game characters have very large pools of ki and stamina, and it's possible they even get some kind of multiplier in the harder missions, but not "literally infinite."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Friendly NPC's at least definitely have ki/stamina. In the scouter view you can see it, check on them just after finishing a fight on any map where you need to use the gates and you'll see their idle stamina refilling.

I've not checked this with enemies because using the scouter in a fight is just the worst idea.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

teknologik posted:

So for Maijin its best to spec into strikes? I was a bit confused since the clothing all buffs ki blasts etc
well, if you're going to use their race specific clothing, no, it is not optimal, because their clothing lowers strikes. otherwise it does not matter which you choose.

i personally have yet to find a single reason in which it is worth speccing in strikes over ki blasts beyond it looking cool.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

cams posted:

well, if you're going to use their race specific clothing, no, it is not optimal, because their clothing lowers strikes. otherwise it does not matter which you choose.

i personally have yet to find a single reason in which it is worth speccing in strikes over ki blasts beyond it looking cool.

Same, it seems like going full strikes is cool, but definitely not optimal. If Ki moves are so powerful though, doesn't that mean that Saiyan is generally going to be the best? Since you can just go SS and spam Ki? I just wasn't seeing how being tanky would really benefit a long distance projectile user.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

cams posted:

Strikes have a lot of niche/gimmicky stuff that give them a lot utility. Oran Combo can be rolled right out of basic strikes with no start up time, letting you hit a guy just enough times to get a bar and then immediately nail the Super. My friend didn't even realize I was doing a special. I've been running a majority of the game with Recoome Kick + Any Z Soul that triggers off reinforcement (The World Doesn't Need a God or whatever right now), giving my Majin ludicrous regen as a reward for kicking someone in the face. Ki blasts are pretty cool but I haven't found any I can instantly plow out of a combo with or get mad heals off of. Still trying to figure out if Drain Charge gives more ki back with a higher melee stat, but I'm having a grand ol' time with that as well.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Boy, the dragon ball drop rate really plummets when you get the first four, huh?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Friendly NPC's at least definitely have ki/stamina. In the scouter view you can see it, check on them just after finishing a fight on any map where you need to use the gates and you'll see their idle stamina refilling.

I've not checked this with enemies because using the scouter in a fight is just the worst idea.

Makes sense. This is what I figured.

Also, what, you don't want to role play being a bystander in your average DBZ fight? For shame.

cams posted:

Strikes are for people who are good at the fighting part of the game. You can pull off some absolutely absurd poo poo if you're good at chaining attacks using the systems this game has introduced.

We're talking "combo them one hundred times only to start it up again once they lose all of their stamina trying to get you off their back" levels of absurd. You just need the right skills to do it.

Also, it's really frigging hard to commonly take advantage of the guard broken damage boost with ki spamming. Whereas you can pick up a move like evil blade that acts as a strike and teleports you to the target (from across the map no less) and just rock faces every time someone gets knocked back. Which, in this game is a lot.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 1, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How do you revive a teammate? Do you need an item for it?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Archonex posted:

Makes sense. This is what I figured.

Also, what, you don't want to role play being a bystander in your average DBZ fight? For shame.

It's more the fact that by the time it switches to scouter view 99 times out of 100 the enemy has dashed into your face and you won't even get a reading before they smash you across the stage.

I don't see why they couldn't allow combat controls to still work with the scouter up, since none of the other buttons do anything as far as I'm aware.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Reiley posted:

Fly down to their body and stand in the circle. Pray the opponent ignores you during this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Reiley posted:

Break your lock on, then go stand in the circle around them and lock on again. This time you'll target them and a little bar will fill up.

This only works with selectable teammates or real people, mission specific NPCs can't be revived.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

"let's spend a bunch of money on servers we'll only require at launch" said no developer, ever.

"let's use our future vision to see the fact our game is going to sell way better than it reasonably has any right to and plan accordingly" is also something that no developer has ever said.

These two factors may contribute to your issue here but feel free to continue declaring the developers lovely if that helps you deal with the fact you are a huge babby.

EU launch was yesterday, today is peak players. Go into network and turn off your Internet connection, problem sidestepped.

The game shouldn't kick you to the title screen and then prevent you from playing single player at all you stupid bastard. That's nothing to do with servers, it's just poor design.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why are people defending this crap. This game isn't an mmo, it's a single player game with an easily ignorable mp component.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why are people defending this crap. This game isn't an mmo, it's a single player game with an easily ignorable mp component.
because it's a video game and people who whine about their video games are the most annoying pieces of poo poo.

you are literally whining about a toy.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It did cannibalize a lot of stuff from a MMO though.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

It's more the fact that by the time it switches to scouter view 99 times out of 100 the enemy has dashed into your face and you won't even get a reading before they smash you across the stage.

I don't see why they couldn't allow combat controls to still work with the scouter up, since none of the other buttons do anything as far as I'm aware.

Oh, I know. I was just riffing on how the average battle in the show goes.

Also, if you're going for a strike build I really recommend a teleport attack like evil blade. Evil blade in particular is absolutely absurd. Not only will evil blade connect from any distance, but it stops knocked back characters in mid air while stunning them momentarily. Meaning you can immediately start juggling them with other attacks. The only way out is dropping two bars of stamina or loving up the execution of a move.

The only catch is that evil blade is one of Trunk's skills. Which means it only shows up mid game and only drops in a PQ that is absolutely grueling if you aren't ready to go toe to toe with SSJ2 Vegeta and a SSJ Trunks. Both of which have infinite ki due to being transed. Vegeta in particular has final flash and loves to use it as well. I had to get some help from online with that one. :stonk:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The game shouldn't kick you to the title screen and then prevent you from playing single player at all you stupid bastard. That's nothing to do with servers, it's just poor design.

You can just go into offline mode on steam you know. It takes like two minutes to fix the server connection issues.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 1, 2015

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I wouldn't say that. It feels more like a Monster Hunter or Phantasy Star. I'm not going to try to defend the server issues though. It's not a insurmountable problem but really inconvenient to have to sign out of PSN or use steam in offline mode to get in on SP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It is nothing like monster hunter.

• Locked thread