Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It seems like, at some point, the soft cap at 10 living children was removed. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
So I'm doing the Starter Scenario, and it tells me to send my chanellor to Canarias to fabricate a claim. So I go to the Council, click on Fabricate a Claim and a bunch of poo poo turns up green. I click on Canarias, which lights up -- and that's it. I waited four months, nothing happening.

What did I do wrong?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Shinino Kage posted:

So I'm doing the Starter Scenario, and it tells me to send my chanellor to Canarias to fabricate a claim. So I go to the Council, click on Fabricate a Claim and a bunch of poo poo turns up green. I click on Canarias, which lights up -- and that's it. I waited four months, nothing happening.

What did I do wrong?

There's a monthly percentage-based chance to get a claim, so it can be anything from a few days to several decades. The chance of success is directly affected by your Chancellor's diplomacy stat, so try to get a competent guy. What's the skill of yours?

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

There's a monthly percentage-based chance to get a claim, so it can be anything from a few days to several decades. The chance of success is directly affected by your Chancellor's diplomacy stat, so try to get a competent guy. What's the skill of yours?

He's got 11. So there's no indication that he's doing it?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

For those of you who don't know, Juvenalian.Satyr is currently arranging a massive multiplayer match of CK2 set in the HRE. We've already got over 20 people! Most of the big and medium positions have been taken, but there are still quite a few independent counts and patricians left.

The merchant republics of Pisa and Genoa will start out vassalized to the Emperor, and while the position of Doge has been taken for both, there's lots of unclaimed patricians. I've played as a patrician in MP before, and it's a lot of fun!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Shinino Kage posted:

He's got 11. So there's no indication that he's doing it?

Oh he's probably working on it, it's just that forging documents and finding tenous connections is hard and time consuming without the internet. Also 11 is kinda rubbish for a councillor.

There's also the slight chance that he's been bought off by the local lord, and is just pretending to be working on it, but he's probably just not that great at his job.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 1, 2015

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Well, this is the tutorial, so that may be expected. Once I get more of a hang of things, I'll play 'for realsies'

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

Oh he's probably working on it, it's just that forging documents and finding tenous connections is hard and time consuming without the internet. Also 11 is kinda rubbish for a councillor.

There's also the slight chance that he's been bought off by the local lord, and is just pretending to be working on it, but he's probably just not that great at his job.

So if I click on one of the green territories for doing it, I see him on my map, working away. If I click on the Canarias, I don't. So obviously, either the tutorial is telling me wrong, or I'm doing something wrong.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
If you mouse over the command you're giving your councillor, it'll give you the % chance of success in a year. Just tested and 11 diplo gives you a 6% chance per year. So it's, um, not very likely; should happen on average every 16.67 years at that rate...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Volkerball posted:

And you can't reform the faith until you have 100% moral authority. Holy sites provide no MA boost, but you need to control all 5.

I think an earlier version of CK2+ had the reform requirements at
- All holy sites
- %75 MA

It was pretty annoying. I can understand doing that for, like, Norse, because they're super broken. But c'mon, Slavic is barely better than %N_GENERIC_PAGANISM, why you gotta make me work so hard.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008

Allyn posted:

If you mouse over the command you're giving your councillor, it'll give you the % chance of success in a year. Just tested and 11 diplo gives you a 6% chance per year. So it's, um, not very likely; should happen on average every 16.67 years at that rate...

Right, I get that. My problem is that when I tell him to go somewhere highlighted, he goes there -- whether or not he succeeds here doesn't matter.

If I click on the Canarias like the tutorial tells me to, it doesn't show him there at all and the Canarias islands aren't highlighted.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
things are certainly looking up for the republic of new orleans :toot:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

It seems like, at some point, the soft cap at 10 living children was removed. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

That's awesome for republics. The max number of trading posts you can have is based partly on how many unlanded male dynasty members are hanging around your mansion.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

that's also terrible for republics since each unlanded male costs you income

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Excelzior posted:

that's also terrible for republics since each unlanded male costs you income

Yes, that's why you build a trading post to make more money than he costs you.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yes, that's why you build a trading post to make more money than he costs you.

More trading posts also means a bigger trade zone. If you can create and dominate a massive zone with a lot of cities in it you make insane amounts of money. You get bonuses not only for how many pieces of the sea it covers but also for every city in a province covered by the zone. You need more posts to cover more cities.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Quick, I'm incapable and 1 over my vassal limit. How do I get one more diplomacy before I die and my empire shatters irreparably?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Average Bear posted:

Quick, I'm incapable and 1 over my vassal limit. How do I get one more diplomacy before I die and my empire shatters irreparably?

kill your wife and find a more diplomatic one.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Wait I managed to lower my vassal count by assigning some vassals to their de jure lieges. Barons are sneaky little shits.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
If one of your vassals starts a plot that's really useful, is there a way to back them without having to wait for them to ask you to join in first?

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Wait I managed to lower my vassal count by assigning some vassals to their de jure lieges. Barons are sneaky little shits.

I thought any titles below counts didn't count against your vassal limit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

FourLeaf posted:

If one of your vassals starts a plot that's really useful, is there a way to back them without having to wait for them to ask you to join in first?

As near as I can tell, no. It's frustrating. My spymaster keeps giving me all these plots in my kingdom, and I think "gently caress yeah. I hate that guy. Lemme in on that poo poo", but nooooooo.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

What's a good way to stave off vassals of vassals rebelling? I'm running an HRE/Byzantine combined empire, and I couldn't switch the HRE title off of Gavelkind in time because uppity dukes kept rebelling against their kings.

I just barely managed to keep the two empires from shattering through liberal application of excommunication and plot stabbings (vassal pope is wonderful for shutting down independence factions).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What's a good way to stave off vassals of vassals rebelling? I'm running an HRE/Byzantine combined empire, and I couldn't switch the HRE title off of Gavelkind in time because uppity dukes kept rebelling against their kings.

I just barely managed to keep the two empires from shattering through liberal application of excommunication and plot stabbings (vassal pope is wonderful for shutting down independence factions).

Revoke the kingdoms.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Allyn posted:

Less than that. In 16.67 years you have a 65% chance of getting a claim. 50% chance is just over 11 years.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
quick multiplayer question, 2 of my friends have an ongoing game, will I be able to hop in and take control of someone? Additionally, my computer often crashes, will they be able to keep playing after I've crashed ?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Bitter Mushroom posted:

quick multiplayer question, 2 of my friends have an ongoing game, will I be able to hop in and take control of someone? Additionally, my computer often crashes, will they be able to keep playing after I've crashed ?

Yup.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Thanks for that, one more thing I shouldve included: Can you join a game that is currently being played, or does the host have to go back and rehost it any time someone wants to join?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So does anyone know o any CK2 mods that bring back the old CK1 music? I've been bumming around Paradox forums but no one seems to have put this together.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Thanks for that, one more thing I shouldve included: Can you join a game that is currently being played, or does the host have to go back and rehost it any time someone wants to join?

They have to rehost. Also, if they've been playing everyone needs to completely quit the game and rehost, or the checksums will be different

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I finally get the demon child event but she's a bastard not of my dynasty. gently caress. My stupid husband hadn't knocked me up by age 38, so I sleep with some random courtier, immediately get pregnant, it's the spawn of satan, and my idiot lover legitimises her.

I gave her father a county so that she can murder him and inherit it, so I can switch to playing as her, but it's been a few years now and she hasn't done anything. Tempted to just console kill the guy since I can't get a decent plot going against him.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So does anyone know o any CK2 mods that bring back the old CK1 music? I've been bumming around Paradox forums but no one seems to have put this together.

You're weird.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

marktheando posted:

I finally get the demon child event but she's a bastard not of my dynasty. gently caress. My stupid husband hadn't knocked me up by age 38, so I sleep with some random courtier, immediately get pregnant, it's the spawn of satan, and my idiot lover legitimises her.

I gave her father a county so that she can murder him and inherit it, so I can switch to playing as her, but it's been a few years now and she hasn't done anything. Tempted to just console kill the guy since I can't get a decent plot going against him.
Playing as demonspawn isn't really that interesting.

It's particularly vexing that you just convert to a random heresy. Not really satanic enough.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Does anyone know a good Count to start with in the Holy Roman Empire in 1066?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghetto Prince posted:

Does anyone know a good Count to start with in the Holy Roman Empire in 1066?

I think the Hapsburgs are counts in 1066, for a historical challenge.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So what decides your personal levy?

My King had a 10k levy amount and when his son took over it was 8k now it is 6.5k.

Also when I had my 10k levy my vassal levy was only 5k when it was 8k before I reached the 10k.

It really hosed me up as I can now no longer defend against england even with all of Eire partial Alba and a few counties in Brittany.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I got this game a while ago but only just now had my first real, long, playthrough. Started out as Skåne on the Old Gods start. Sweden ended up dominating most of Scandinavia and had a lot of other stuff as well. Managed to struggle along myself and eventually formed the Kingdom of Denmark, and I also had some stuff outside that. Had just decided to convert to the Catholic faith when Sweden decided to declare war on me and I just... had no loving chance whatsoever. Got completely steamrolled. They took it all over and stuck me in the northern rear end end of Sweden with a single county. drat, got bitch-slapped pretty hard. Was a ton of fun though.

Is there a like an opportune time to convert to Catholicism from being Pagan? Should I even do it? How to go about it in the best way?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
I can't get the Legendary Wisdom modifier in Ironman because giving my guy a leadership focus is the equivalent of assassinating him. Which, by the way, is actually a great way of knocking off your guy if he's old and you want the next person to inherit. They die of stress about 90% of the time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

verbal enema posted:

So what decides your personal levy?

My King had a 10k levy amount and when his son took over it was 8k now it is 6.5k.

Also when I had my 10k levy my vassal levy was only 5k when it was 8k before I reached the 10k.

It really hosed me up as I can now no longer defend against england even with all of Eire partial Alba and a few counties in Brittany.

Your personal levy will be influenced by your Martial score, so if the son had lower martial he'll have a smaller levy.

Your vassals' levy sizes are affected by how much they like you, so you'll almost always get less vassal troops if you've just inherited than on an old king who's reigned for a long time, unless you have some weird circumstance where your old king has all the bad traits and your new one is a saintly genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

vyelkin posted:

Your personal levy will be influenced by your Martial score, so if the son had lower martial he'll have a smaller levy.

Your vassals' levy sizes are affected by how much they like you, so you'll almost always get less vassal troops if you've just inherited than on an old king who's reigned for a long time, unless you have some weird circumstance where your old king has all the bad traits and your new one is a saintly genius.

15 martial to 6 reaalllly makes a difference then goddamn

• Locked thread