Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

This thread is a microcosm of Tony Abbott's career, rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Tasmantor posted:

In Melbourne for work this week being subjected to KIIS101.1 it's truly something awful. Anyway going to be in Sandringham what's good eating?

Boss Burger in Highett or Bocconcino's Pizza in Parkdale. Walk a few streets down and you can eat it at the beach. Its always quiet.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
SO I've never been to a goonmeet before and was vaguely worrying about how to identify the right people at the pub tomorrow, never having met any of you, by the general tone of this thread I'm looking for the people slapfighting each other, doling out purple nurples, and screaming "false flag, false flag!", right?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Boy this thread is still bad.

Muir wrote something about how we shouldn't just grind up young people to be used as a cheap pig slurry and rather aid them when they're unemployed and personally I agree.

Muir continues to be pleasantly surprisingly one of the best members of parliament. Which isn't saying much but still.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seagull posted:

Boy this thread is still bad.

Muir wrote something about how we shouldn't just grind up young people to be used as a cheap pig slurry and rather aid them when they're unemployed and personally I agree.

Muir continues to be pleasantly surprisingly one of the best members of parliament. Which isn't saying much but still.

I don't feel as bad these days as I put him higher on the Senate vote than all of the right wing parties at the last election

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anybody see Frynenbergs comments on how even if Abbott wrote the gettysburg address certain members would still hate him? That rear end is the intellectually laziest motherfucker. "Those guys in my party? Yup, enemies. They probably hate Australia too!" Another private school to politics pipeline success story.

Josh Frydenberg rejects calls for royal commission into rogue financial advisers

quote:

Assistant treasurer Josh Frydenberg still sees no need for a royal commission into financial advisers despite the scandal that has rocked National Australia Bank.

Renewed calls for a royal commission came after the bank’s financial advice arm NAB Wealth confessed last month it had quietly paid out as much as $15m to 750 customers during the past five years because it “didn’t get it right the first time”.

NAB sacked 37 advisers and the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) is further investigating the bank.

It follows a series of other scandals, including the nation’s biggest bank, the Commonwealth Bank.

A Senate inquiry last year urged a royal commission into the sector but this was dismissed by the government, a decision Frydenberg is standing by.

“That’s my view,” Frydenberg told ABC television.

Child molester rejects calls for royal comission into child molestation by friends.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 1, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I wonder if the Liberal party is still running the machine that churns out smarmy little smug tubby yuppies like Frydenberg and Jamie Briggs after their original prototype model Joe Hockey failed so catastrophically during mid-cycle deployment

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Labor has a policy of its own now and it's one I can get behind

quote:

The federal opposition has proposed a $1.9bn package targeting multinational tax avoidance, with most of the savings slated to come from changes to the amount of debt for which companies can claim deductions in Australia.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I find it funny that even after the current government grabbed power on the back of a policy-less campaign, and in a polling environment so utterly hostile to Abbott and the LNP, that Labor is still so inept as to release oppositional policies when the next election is so far away and there is no talk of a DD - current poll results affect the PM not the party in power. How the hell is Shorten so ineffectual that he is releasing policies now, even after he has seen the power of baseless attack dog opposition and tried to emulate the LNP in every other way he could?

What a joke

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm not saying its good to run a campaign without policies or they should continue trying to con the Aussie public, but Shorten's evil is just so bland and ineffectual. He is trying his hardest to play grown up villains but he just can't quite figure out how to keep from tripping on his cape

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Frogfingers posted:

Boss Burger in Highett or Bocconcino's Pizza in Parkdale. Walk a few streets down and you can eat it at the beach. Its always quiet.

My uncle used to have a fish shop on the central strip in Sandringham, and whenever I was down there the beach was practically empty.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I think it's a pretty good direction personally. The Libs put an unpopular and unfair budget to a senate that resoundingly rejected it and they've spent the entire time since wringing their hands and shrugging, as if the "economic situation they were elected to fix" is no longer their problem. Labor throws up a policy popular with mostly everyone, punishing multinational tax evasion, and the government is left with the choice of either passing it and giving the appearance that they're unable to devise their own policy, or rejecting it and reinforcing the growing realisation amongst voters that the budget is pushing an agenda and not built upon the desperate necessity they originally alleged.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
$1.9 billion over three years seems like a really piddly amount, surely our lost revenue from corporate tax evasion would be orders of magnitude higher?

E: Apple alone ripped off $9b over the course of a decade, for example. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-06/tax-expert-explains-how-apple-pays-193m-tax-on-27b-revenue/5303426

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 1, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

cpaf posted:

I think it's a pretty good direction personally. The Libs put an unpopular and unfair budget to a senate that resoundingly rejected it and they've spent the entire time since wringing their hands and shrugging, as if the "economic situation they were elected to fix" is no longer their problem. Labor throws up a policy popular with mostly everyone, punishing multinational tax evasion, and the government is left with the choice of either passing it and giving the appearance that they're unable to devise their own policy, or rejecting it and reinforcing the growing realisation amongst voters that the budget is pushing an agenda and not built upon the desperate necessity they originally alleged.

That's true. I guess I'm just so skeptical of the potential for reform or intelligent decisions (even cynical campaign decisions) that I'm hesitant to attribute calculated strategy to Labour when shortsighted incompetence would suffice.

If it is a strategic move, it would also coincide well with distracting from Labor's complicity in the imprisonment, rape, and torture of thousands of children.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

Please ignore any threats or other violent suggestions, I'll retract them once my antipsychotics kick in.

I mean well but sometimes my anger gets the best of me.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Breetai posted:

SO I've never been to a goonmeet before and was vaguely worrying about how to identify the right people at the pub tomorrow, never having met any of you, by the general tone of this thread I'm looking for the people slapfighting each other, doling out purple nurples, and screaming "false flag, false flag!", right?
If you're talking about Adelaide Goonmeet tomorrow, based on my general experiences, Adelaide Goons (and SA Greens in general) are likely to be the chilled out dudes in the corner.

Nuclear Spy posted:

:siren: ADELAIDE GOONMEET :siren:

Tuesday 3rd of March from 6:30pm at the Wheatsheaf Hotel

If funds are too low for you but you'd otherwise attend or you are a goon who has never met another goon IRL, I will shout you a beer. Lurkers would have to post in one of the AusPol threads beforehand, in case someone brings their friend and just says they are known as *random username* on the forums. This cannot obviously backfire on me as goons over self-regulate their time in public, right?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Fruity Gordo posted:

$1.9 billion over three years seems like a really piddly amount, surely our lost revenue from corporate tax evasion would be orders of magnitude higher?

E: Apple alone ripped off $9b over the course of a decade, for example. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-06/tax-expert-explains-how-apple-pays-193m-tax-on-27b-revenue/5303426

"1 billion" is still a number which resonates with people, while the relative smallness of that number means that the captains of industry won't all line up to bag Shorten.

But yes, it is a very small part of the problem.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

We have brought these giants of industry to their knees as justice for their many cri- well, part of the settlement is that they aren't admitting to any crimes, and we are actually waiving any claim to pursue compensation for any acts of theirs past or future, but just take a look at this cheque for one HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS and tell me daddy didn't bring home the bacon! Now just let me take it down to the track, I got a tip from my mate and there's no way this dog can lose. I'll triple it easy and that'll go halfway to paying your first semester of uni

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Fruity Gordo posted:

I might've misread it, but I took it to mean that they were devoting $1.9b to fixing the problem. Which, granted, doesn't actually make much sense to me; investigating the problem and potential solutions would probably not require that amount of money into it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cleretic posted:

I might've misread it, but I took it to mean that they were devoting $1.9b to fixing the problem. Which, granted, doesn't actually make much sense to me; investigating the problem and potential solutions would probably not require that amount of money into it.

quote:

The opposition said the Parliamentary Budget Office had assessed the measures as bringing in $1.9bn in revenue over three years from July.

Fruity Gordo posted:

Apple had 9B of profit so there's "only" potentially 3B of tax revenue there.

There are also limits to what one country can do alone.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Yeah I don't remember retracting any threats. :confused:

Whoever keeps buying me these is really dedicated to ableism tho, it's adorable.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 2, 2015

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

The policy is definitely supposed to recoup/earn/raise/tax the $1.9bn to the benefit of the government. Like Birdstrike said, that is a large number to the public, but it also probably isn't a number that will provoke a knee-jerk defensive reaction from said multinationals like say, the MRRT did. Google and Apple et al have basically come out and said they have been operating within the law as if they have a leisurely attitude to this whole thing, so in the interests of public image you probably won't see Larry Page rattling his jewellery on the back of a ute in protest.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Apple had 9B of profit so there's "only" potentially 3B of tax revenue there.

There are also limits to what one country can do alone.

Its not just Apple doing it, but the question is finding the right balance between pursuing our taxation rights and having them decide its cheaper to not operate here at all. Which is hard to imagine given how much money there is to make off the Aussie market. Its not that they can't afford the taxes, there is just no incentive to pay them and they can lobby to keep not paying them

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Breetai posted:

Don't worry, you'll know... you'll know.
Have you seen a nerd before? It's a group of nerds. Pudgy, awkward (both socially and from meeting strangers on the internet), a little unkempt, somewhat less fashion sense and talking about video games out loud. You'll be right, and maybe pm or post in the thread if you are lost :)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Apple, Microsoft and Google will just raise their Australia tax to compensate

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Its not just Apple doing it, but the question is finding the right balance between pursuing our taxation rights and having them decide its cheaper to not operate here at all. Which is hard to imagine given how much money there is to make off the Aussie market. Its not that they can't afford the taxes, there is just no incentive to pay them and they can lobby to keep not paying them

Also, these tech companies lower their profitability in Australia by shifting R&D costs here (and other high cost jurisdictions). The Applie subsidiary that sells iPads etc to Apple Australia charges far more than the actual bill of materials and labour costs, ostensibly to recoup R&D. It has the nice side effect of making US sales operations appear more profitable too.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
If you have iMessage you can iMessage Senator Brandis at senator.brandis@aph.gov.au it is very real and very amazing

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Check out the name of the new UK thread.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

IslamoNazi posted:

If you have iMessage you can iMessage Senator Brandis at senator.brandis@aph.gov.au it is very real and very amazing

I hope that isn't you mangling those apostrophes.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Penny Wong has started a censure motion against the extremely intelligent George Brandis.

hope this happens, Lambie isn't impressed with his performance and laying the boot in

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Have you seen a nerd before? It's a group of nerds. Pudgy, awkward (both socially and from meeting strangers on the internet), a little unkempt, somewhat less fashion sense and talking about video games out loud. You'll be right, and maybe pm or post in the thread if you are lost :)

I remember one Melbourne goonmeet. One goon awkwardly shuffled up and asked 'Is this the SA Goonmeet?'. 'Nah we're from Reddit'

He was out of there so fast we didnt even get to call him back.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why is everyone in the news treating the new polling data as being good news for abbott. it's good new for the liberal party, sure, but they're only getting a boost because people are expecting and want turnbull to be leader; they seem the lnp moving in that direction and they approve. abbott's still coming in 3rd as preferred pm behind turnbull.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Baird and Co just can't stop lying for their election publicity. My favourite one is the anti Labor scare scare campaign. "They will be fighting dirty" (etc.) Excuse me but without painting the Labor party as blameless isn't it always the LNP getting caught for these sort of things every election?

Finally heard one good come back question when Troy Grant (Dep. Premier and Nationals buffoon) said that not privatising the grid in regional areas was a massive win for the bush. He was asked "Doesn't this mean it is a massive loss for the cities?" Magic wanded that away and ploughed on continuing to blame Labor for everything.

Mathius Corman kept talking about Labor's "trajectory" to unsustainable debt. I really wanted the interviewer (Fran 'Journalism is a second language' Kelly) to ask how Labor's trajectory differed from the LNP under Howard. She didn't.

Arsetralian posted:

2 Mar 2015 The Australian SARAH MARTIN

30 years working for dole a reality

JOBSEEKERS in remote indigenous communities “with no economy” may never get a real job and could spend up to three decades working for the dole. However, Indigenous Affairs Minister Nigel Scullion told The
Australian that as long as jobseekers are taking part in 25 hours a week of meaningful community activities, working for the dole in perpetuity was not a negative outcome. “I don’t think that is a bad thing,” he said. “They are engaged in purposeful activities in their communities, where they choose to live, and they are choosing to live in an area where there is no economy and a growing population. And while people may say, ‘ How can you possibly do this to people?’, there are no alternatives.”

The government is planning to introduce tough new rules for the Remote Jobs and Community Program that aim to end passive welfare and the harmful effects of “sit-down money”. Under the tightened welfare rules, which come into effect on July 1, jobseekers in remote areas aged 18-49 will be obliged to undertake work-for-the-dole activities for 25 hours a week, five days a week, for most of the year. Approved activities would include helping getting children to school, aged care, volunteer work, learning to drive and literacy and numeracy training.

Senator Scullion said the scheme could improve living standards, citing unhygienic conditions in remote areas that contributed to chronic disease. “Many of my communities live on the floor, it is like a cave,’’ he said. “I think that one of the characteristics of civilisation must be that you don’t have to eat at the same level as your animals, it must be something like that. I feel very strongly that we should try to provide furniture.” On Friday, a Senate inquiry heard there would not be an exhaustive or exclusive list of approved activities as the scheme needed to be flexible enough to meet individual requirements. Senator Scullion insisted the program would not provide free labour to companies in remote areas, but businesses should be engaged where possible.

He again stressed that the government would take a hardline approach to passive welfare. “Staying at home like a couch potato with the channel clicker is probably not amongst (approved activities) because this is about moving people from a dangerous and vulnerable place to a more positive place, and ensuring that they are connected with the sort of skill set and the sort of environment that allows them to move into work when it becomes available,” Senator Scullion said.

Consultations on the final design of the scheme — including potential for annual and cultural leave — is continuing with remote communities and jobservice providers. The policy will apply to both indigenous and non-indigenous recipients of Newstart and Youth Allowance in 60 remote areas, covering 76 per cent of Australia’s area. About 37,000 people are covered by the Remote Jobs area, 83 per cent of them Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
Slavery by another name.

It is no secret that there are enormous needs for relevant services in remote communities. Rather than fund real jobs to provide those services (and where necessary pay for appropriate people to undergoing relevant training), we have this sort of bullshit spilling ungoverned from the mouth of yet another white ninny. Ffs.

Muppet Government.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I hope that isn't you mangling those apostrophes.

Rest assured that I don't have an iPhone

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

:cawg:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Post in the thread asking where everyone is while standing directly behind the most recognisable goon in said thread.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
So excited for the goon meet tomorrow, I've given my favourite dragon shirt its yearly wash.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Excuse me Cliev wtf are you doing?

quote:

The Palmer United Party's two senators, Glenn Lazarus and Dio Wang, will abstain from voting on government legislation indefinitely, according to party leader Clive Palmer.

In a statement released on Monday, Mr Palmer said it would be irresponsible for the party to vote on any legislation until government "chaos" had ended.

"The government's proposals seem to change daily," Mr Palmer said.

"The policies are not consistent, party infighting and conflict is ongoing and as a result our party has decided as a bloc to abstain from voting on any legislation proposals."

Fairfax Media is seeking clarification on the party's position. If the abstention refers to PUP senators not attending any Senate votes - rather than voting down any government bills - then this would likely make it easier for the government to pass legislation.

Only days ago Mr Palmer vowed that his party would vote against any attempts to introduce a co-payment for Medicare services and he has said repeatedly that PUP would vote against the deregulation of university fees.

According to the Odgers' Australian Senate Practice manual, Senate votes are decided by a simple majority of those present and voting on bills before the Senate. Senators who wish to abstain in a vote can do so only by absenting themselves from the floor of the chamber.

Former PUP Senator Jacqui Lambie has vowed to vote down any government legislation until it improves its pay rise offer for Defence personnel.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/palmer-united-party-senators-to-abstain-from-voting-clive-palmer-20150302-13sfnt.html

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Devine's not a journalist. She writes opinion pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr Chips posted:

Devine's not a journalist. She writes opinion pieces.

She's quite happy to call herself a journalist though.

• Locked thread