Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
Ahahaha Tiggum you have literally said that you don't understand why anyone would want controller support in PC games, implied if not outright declared that it's a bad thing to have, and that people who want it should just learn to play with KB+M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Ahahaha Tiggum you have literally said that you don't understand why anyone would want controller support in PC games, implied if not outright declared that it's a bad thing to have, and that people who want it should just learn to play with KB+M.

I've said I don't understand why anyone wants controller support. I don't. I don't mind that they do, I just don't understand them. I find controllers unwieldy and awkward. I have never said that games shouldn't have controller support or that people who prefer controllers should use a keyboard and mouse instead. If you find a controller easier or better to use than a keyboard and mouse, fine. Just don't tell me that I should use it, because I don't find it easier or better.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Tiggum posted:

because the character (as written) does that, and it makes sense.

The character in Skyrim, as written, is the most boring motherfucker ever to have walked the continent in 200 years and has no motivation besides "DRAGONS BAD", unless the player decides to imbue the character with a backstory and motivation themselves. I tried the roleplaying thing in Skyrim, and it didn't work out for me, but I can see why people would want to do it.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

gently caress any mass "collectible" production without any kind of purchase or distribution control, and double-gently caress people who buy things they don't want solely to sell them to other people at a markup. I had wanted to pick up the CE of a game recently, only to find out that it sold out before I got the e-mail letting me know preorders were up, and several hundred of them were up for sale on eBay the day the game was released, anywhere from 150% to 500% of the retail price. Some of the listings were parting out the edition to the point where you'd be paying over $500 for all the things that came in it, including one listing for $100 for the box. Scalpers are a cancer on the collectible market, and I really wish there were stronger unlicensed retail regulations (or that the ones that exist were enforced better).

I had to quote this because, while I agree with you, this is pretty much the basis of our economic system. Sure you're talking about something silly like video games and collectibles, but buying a bunch of stuff you don't need in order to sell them to others is done pretty much all the time.

The difference is you're mad at games. Someone who does it with oil or water is a "Good businessman".

Tiggum posted:

Oh, well, I don't find them boring to play, but yeah, the characters and story are poo poo. But it's a video game, what do you expect? Even the games people single out as having amazing stories are almost always trite and formulaic, especially action games like Skyrim. And the games people praise as giving you choices and consequences are generally really shallow and pretty much everything just happens the way it was always going to regardless, just because having real choices and consequences would basically mean creating many times as much content, most of which very few people would ever even see.

If you want a good story, read a book. If you want a game where your choices matter, play a pen-and-paper RPG with other people. Video games aren't really equipped to deliver either of those things.

I see what you're saying, and you're wrong. Video games can have good stories. And as you say, Skyrim doesn't do a good job with this. I think the conflict is that TES games are about BE WHOEVER YOU WANT TO BE and MAKE YOUR CHARACTER YOURS! And then railroads you not into chance encounters to push the story along, but linear, specific, and (dare I say) ludonarratively dissonant (sp?) situations. If you're Barsh McBarsh the Argonian, why the hell would you even want to join the Mages Guild? Why would you care? If you're Evil McEvilPants, why wouldn't you just murder everyone that couldn't help you, once they gave you the information you needed? The game keeps you on rails here. I think people in the thread are saying (at least I'm saying) that having the Mage Guild be a part of the plot isn't the problem. Its that you have one way, and one way only to deal with it, where in outside of the main quest you often have multiple (if shallow) ways to handle things, and almost infinite ways to handle combat.

To your credit, you're right, its part of the plot, it just doesn't mean that it makes sense and you at least seem to be defending the railroad way as the "correct and only" way.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Hold on, I need to hear Tiggum tell me more about the right way to play a game

He's like the loving Mike Ditka of gaming

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Would you stop enabling him, jesus christ guys.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Jastiger posted:

I had to quote this because, while I agree with you, this is pretty much the basis of our economic system. Sure you're talking about something silly like video games and collectibles, but buying a bunch of stuff you don't need in order to sell them to others is done pretty much all the time.

The difference is you're mad at games. Someone who does it with oil or water is a "Good businessman".

You do realize I don't agree (morally, not factually) with literally any of that premise, though? Artificial scarcity is cartel behavior, but at least it's understandable from the perspective of actual business, where the person has a stake in the production or distribution of the resource, as opposed to people who abuse the permissive nature of sites like eBay to intentionally create scarcity in a resource or product someone else produced, and that they have no normal legal hand in the distribution of. When the production model is "limited edition of 5000", the intended concept is "5000 people get one", not "500 people get 10, and sell 9 if not all 10 at batshit prices".

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Mar 1, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tiggum posted:

I've said I don't understand why anyone wants controller support. I don't. I don't mind that they do, I just don't understand them. I find controllers unwieldy and awkward. I have never said that games shouldn't have controller support or that people who prefer controllers should use a keyboard and mouse instead. If you find a controller easier or better to use than a keyboard and mouse, fine. Just don't tell me that I should use it, because I don't find it easier or better.

I think you just gave a reason why people would want to use a controller, so I think you do understand why? I grew up on consoles and handhelds so it just feels more natural for me to play on a controller than it ever has playing KB+M.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Hold on, I need to hear Tiggum tell me more about the right way to play a game

He's like the loving Mike Ditka of gaming

hold on, i said something about this once i think

Oxxidation posted:

The most wonderful thing about Tiggum
Is Tiggum's a little bit thick.
His brains are made out of rubber
So facts can never quite stick.
His posting, posting, posting, posting's dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb
But the most wonderful, wonderful thing about Tiggum is he's the only one.
He's the only one.
*fart*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

poptart_fairy posted:

Would you stop enabling him, jesus christ guys.
I disagree, keep enabling him because all scientific probes sent into Bizarro Universe have been destroyed immediately by the hostile antimatter winds, so the only way we can ever hope to understand it is by reading the posts of Tiggum, who lives there.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tiggum is the Clarence Thomas of gaming.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tiggum posted:

(And according to Kimmalah you're all wrong anyway and joining the college isn't even mandatory to complete the main story, so you're doubly dumb)

It's not mandatory in the sense that you aren't cut off from completing the quest if you don't join the faction. But I will concede that to avoid it you either have to just know who to talk to based on guides/previous playthroughs or by finding the NPC completely by accident. Once you find him however, he's not going to be like "I can't help you until you join the college" - it just skips a step and continues normally.

This also might not be super obvious if you haven't played a lot of these games, since there's usually multiple ways to circumvent quest objectives but you have to kind of get into a certain mindset to think of them. And it's risky because sometimes it causes bugs, sometimes it's fine. :shrug:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

You do realize I don't agree (morally, not factually) with literally any of that premise, though? Artificial scarcity is cartel behavior, but at least it's understandable from the perspective of actual business, where the person has a stake in the production or distribution of the resource, as opposed to people who abuse the permissive nature of sites like eBay to intentionally create scarcity in a resource or product someone else produced, and that they have no normal legal hand in the distribution of. When the production model is "limited edition of 5000", the intended concept is "5000 people get one", not "500 people get 10, and sell 9 if not all 10 at batshit prices".

Oh no, I totally agree. Just imagine that post was written with me doing the :jerkbag:. You're absolutely right on the point with limited editions and the like. I"m just pointing out that people that do this ARE totally being assholes, but so are people that do the same thing with something like oil or water. The difference is the Amiibo guy is an rear end in a top hat, but the water cartel is just protecting industry standards.

DStecks posted:

Tiggum is the Clarence Thomas of gaming.

This is really funny.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys seem very mad at someone who's making perfectly reasonable posts that don't insult anyone.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Skyrim is like a klepto-simulator. Its all about sucking up endless amounts of lesser soul gems and coins (32) and metal bars and everywhere you go you clean the place. Go through every bookcase. An infinite amount of everything, the game is like a cycle.

Its like enter dungeon>murder>suck everything up like a savage vacuum cleaner>get out again and again with small stops where you craft/stash/sell all poo poo. The wheel keeps spinning. Oh this cave belongs so Oolag malbadur the kinkshaming bandit? I didnt notice was too busy hoovering all the poo poo up.
Where in the wheel are you? Oh my level-wheel got to cycle 5 so now i can use my shield to slow time, making fights even more trivial and even more slowed down and in the end i realize that time has no meaning in skyrim. Quests are just shallow set dresses for getting to new places where you can steal more useless stuff. Oh i got a Badass Spiky Mace OH MY GOD SOMETHING ACTUALLY MADE BY A PERSON! A living breathibg programmer decided what stats this mace have!!!!!!!! Its like catching a glimpse of humanity in the ever spinning wheel of randomized kleptomania. My random sword of _tier[number] with level specific damage and modifiers is miles ahead of any human made loot, but since youre so numbed by the wheel of loot you still get excited over havig something like that at all. The wheel continues. Soon all human made content will be swept up by the protagonist and all that remains is the wheel, with you, the shiva of vacuuming in the middle. Running and jumping and wondering why the gently caress am i loving playong this fuckig game??? The story is poo poo and thats when you stop playing.

Yeah

What's that video where the guy is showing his mom how to play Skyrim and she's like "why does it keep telling me to steal everything?" On one level it's funny that she confuses an instruction for a command but on another it shows how the only freedom the open world offers you is the freedom to steal everything and kill everyone, to double down on the solitariness of your video gaming pursuit and act with total disregard for even these little virtual furniture-people who exist solely for your entertainment. This actually bums me out if i think about it but i'm not sure why

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I recently downloaded Okami HD because I was feeling nostalgic, and while it's still fun, holy poo poo it takes *forever* to get through a lot of dialogue. Sometimes you can hit X or O to speed it along but other times, I'm uselessly mashing at my controller because I just don't care.

And the fact that, even when I'm a good portion through the game, Issun will still pop up and give super obvious hints. 'Oh something something about the MOON. Don't we have a BRUSH TECHNIQUE that we can do something with?' And, the beginning of the game when you have to sit through about twenty minutes of backstory that you can't speed up or skip (and have to press a button to advance the dialogue boxes) is just loving unforgivable.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

swamp waste posted:

Yeah

What's that video where the guy is showing his mom how to play Skyrim and she's like "why does it keep telling me to steal everything?" On one level it's funny that she confuses an instruction for a command but on another it shows how the only freedom the open world offers you is the freedom to steal everything and kill everyone, to double down on the solitariness of your video gaming pursuit and act with total disregard for even these little virtual furniture-people who exist solely for your entertainment. This actually bums me out if i think about it but i'm not sure why

It's a flaw with videogame interactivity that there are limited means to interact with the world beyond simplistic dialogue trees, or dismembering those entities with swords or projectiles, or hoovering up those entities into your collection.

And it's not something that can be easily fixed, or even really needs fixing. It doesn't work for a heroic RPG protagonist out to save the world, invading NPC's houses and rummaging through their cupboards for money and potions. It does work if you are in a zombie apocalypse story and you're looking out for #1.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

swamp waste posted:

Yeah

My mom watched me play Skyrim once and left in disgust when I shot a deer. Sorry mom. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm having the same complaint with Shadow of Mordor I do the Batman games, targeting during combat is hosed. Boy howdy do I want Talion to run past a bunch of guys to vault over an uruk. I couldn't possibly want him to just run or roll any other way. I want him to just charge past fuckin' everyone. And combat finishers? Yes. Please use them on nobodies and not The Hammer because that's efficient and exactly what I want you to do.

Why does he have this half assed auto-target where he thinks he knows what I want? Who decided that was a good call?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Stuntman posted:

You guys seem very mad at someone who's making perfectly reasonable posts that don't insult anyone.
this is a bad post.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ChaosArgate posted:

Calling it DLC is a little strong. They're just little figures that give a little bonus in games that support them. No game that uses Amiibo thus far makes them an integral part of the experience and they're handled so that every figure of one character has the same data as each other so you don't need a specific Link figure to train in Smash and also use for Hyrule Warriors. That said I think they make pretty great desk candy and decorative pieces and where the hell else am I going to find merchandise for Punch Out, F-Zero or Xenoblade.

But in some games they do give you bonus costumes and such. While it's not quite an integral part of the game, it's a bummer if your absolute favorite character is Rosalina (as is the case with my sister who we've been searching up and down across one state and one Canadian province for that bloody amiibo for) only to find out that whoops there's none but hey this rear end in a top hat has all of them and you'll never get one. Feel free to never enjoy any content Nintendo puts out for the Rosalina amiibo.

Kimmalah posted:

My mom watched me play Skyrim once and left in disgust when I shot a deer. Sorry mom. :(

When Pikmin first came out it literally made my mother cry. She was like "Oh hey what are you playing, let me try" because she's weird like that. Then they started drowning and screaming and she put the controller down and walked away trying not to cry. She disapproves of my love for that series to this day.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Len posted:

I'm having the same complaint with Shadow of Mordor I do the Batman games, targeting during combat is hosed. Boy howdy do I want Talion to run past a bunch of guys to vault over an uruk. I couldn't possibly want him to just run or roll any other way. I want him to just charge past fuckin' everyone. And combat finishers? Yes. Please use them on nobodies and not The Hammer because that's efficient and exactly what I want you to do.

Why does he have this half assed auto-target where he thinks he knows what I want? Who decided that was a good call?

On one hand, you've got a good point.
On the other hand? Talion kept using combat finishers on the big-guys when I wanted them used on the guys next to him for some quick health and/or to get rid of annoying ranged units.
So, either Talion needs good enough AI to decide the best targets himself, or you need to have something done manually... And I don't think I'd be able to handle having to deal with a 'lock on' mode on top of the combat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

aerion111 posted:

On one hand, you've got a good point.
On the other hand? Talion kept using combat finishers on the big-guys when I wanted them used on the guys next to him for some quick health and/or to get rid of annoying ranged units.
So, either Talion needs good enough AI to decide the best targets himself, or you need to have something done manually... And I don't think I'd be able to handle having to deal with a 'lock on' mode on top of the combat.

Having less moves with (blank)+x would be nice too. Instead of wraith finishing and clearing out a swarm of scrubs so I could get some breathing room on a matron Talion just jumped over her over and over and over.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

hold on, i said something about this once i think

I miss when you would just calmly respond with the link describing the fallacy of

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand why...

Every time he posted it.

But, Tiggum. The reason people want controller support on every PC game is that they are already used to using the controller for their video games, they have grown accustomed to the buttons and sticks instead of keys and mice, so they would rather play the game in a way that is already comfortable than relearn the control schemes or readjust to different muscle memory when USB controllers exist for the 360/Xbone/PS3/PS4, let alone the ones you can get for just PCs. I wouldn't touch a single GTA game with KB+M controls, despite extensively playing FPS games with KB+M, because I'm used to using controllers for my third person explodey car game.

On the flip side for thread content, I'm really sick of Binding of Isaac breaking every update. Half the reason I was excited for BOI:Rebirth was the new game engine, which was supposed to be more stable. It seems with every new patch, though, there's still the "fixed old problems, caused seven new ones" issue with the original game. Like, accidentally breaking Secret Rooms (rooms you need to bomb into, which are guessable based on a simple pattern) so that you can't bomb out of them if there's an adjacent room that is considered "Special". So you could teleport into that room by accident, and be incapable of leaving if the two adjacent rooms are an item room and a shop.

There's been other issues that either haven't been fixed, or just haven't been noticed, and the more they fix the more other things break. I understand it's a hard game to reliably playtest all situations with every bug patch, due to literally hundreds of unique items interacting with each other, but the basics of your room generation really should not be so hosed with even light playtesting.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Training the dolphins in Endless Ocean 2 takes way too long and is boring as hell.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kimmalah posted:

My mom watched me play Morrowind and I was getting a lot of expensive stuff and selling it off to the mudcrab merchant. She asked what was I even going to do with all the money I was making. You never understood me mom.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Mario 64 was too violent for my mom. While catching a glimpse of me having trouble with one of the lava levels, she saidin disgust that the game was "Just some guy getting burned."

She was also disconcerted by the hammer and sickle on the Red Alert 2 pause screen.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When my mom saw me playing Dead Space 1 on my ol' PS3 she wanted to play it too, I've got a pretty cool mom who likes horror games and stuff :unsmith:

The thing dragging Dead Space 1 down (but only on consoles, on PC it's not a problem because mouse) however is that the game has no form of auto-aim or target slowdown to help you aim at limbs, so without using stasis on basically everything she couldn't really play it because she's not a mid-20s-peak-reaction-time-standard-videogame-player. Dead Space 2 and 3 fix that though by having your crosshair slow down a bit when you're hovering over a necromorph so you can fine tune your aim a bit.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Mar 2, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

When my mom saw me playing Dead Space 1 on my ol' PS3 she wanted to play it too, I've got a pretty cool mom who likes horror games and stuff :unsmith:

The thing dragging Dead Space 1 down (but only on consoles, on PC it's not a problem because mouse) however is that the game has no form of auto-aim or target slowdown to help you aim at limbs, so without using stasis on basically everything she couldn't really play it because she's not a mid-20s-peak-reaction-time-standard-videogame-player. Dead Space 2 and 3 fix that though by having your crosshair slow down a bit when you're hovering over a necromorph so you can fine tune your aim a bit.

No offence to your mother but I don't think a tense thrilling game should be made easier because some people find it tricky.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The reason stasis is actually in the game according to Visceral is because they realized shooting for limbs on constantly moving enemies is really hard on controllers at full speed, so it seems they disagree with you. Stasis is a good compromise between itself and auto-aim though in my opinion, just not for a mid-40s stay at home mom who hasn't played a video game without help from the person watching since Bejeweled.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Mar 2, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
My dad always tries to play Gran Turismo when he sees me playing it, but I think it's a lot harder if you aren't familiar with controlling a vehicle through a game interface, even if it's with a wheel and pedals.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The reason stasis is actually in the game according to Visceral is because they realized shooting for limbs on constantly moving enemies is really hard on controllers at full speed, so it seems they disagree with you. Stasis is a good compromise between itself and auto-aim though in my opinion, just not for a mid-40s stay at home mom who hasn't played a video game without help from the person watching since Bejeweled.

They should hardly change it for what you admit is a small market? I never had trouble hitting them, granted I'm in my early 20s and not a game developer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't know why you're debating with me about it, I was agreeing with you by saying stasis is a good middle ground. The necromorphs move a LOT faster in 3 though as part of its final transition from horror to action so the autoaim in that one is a bit necessary. But then again, 3 isn't a very good game compared to the others!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

My dad always tries to play Gran Turismo when he sees me playing it, but I think it's a lot harder if you aren't familiar with controlling a vehicle through a game interface, even if it's with a wheel and pedals.
I always love stories about parents playing video games. My dad got really into Mario 64 with me (my first game - didn't have any consoles or w/e until I was 6) and I remember him getting really into it. Like, we both took it in turns trying to beat the final boss and failing, until one morning I got up before school and wandered downstairs to find him sitting in the study with a huge mug of coffee feverishly attacking Bowser and going "I got the bastard, son, I finally got him". It was great! And then he had a heart attack a few days later but he beat Bowser so whatever.

Then the next game we got was Starfox 64 and he said all the colours and fast movements hurt his head and he never touched a videogame again.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Mar 2, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

PYF thing dragging this game down: I got the bastard, son, I finally got him

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
My mum normally plays adventure or otherwise casual games likes Plants Vs Zombies and can't do any sort of videogame combat but somehow managed to complete both the 2D Oddworld rescuing every Mudokon. :psyduck:

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Spalec posted:

My mum normally plays adventure or otherwise casual games likes Plants Vs Zombies and can't do any sort of videogame combat but somehow managed to complete both the 2D Oddworld rescuing every Mudokon. :psyduck:

Wow, nice work momma Spalec.

Also Lunchmeat Larry your dad is cool.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I don't know why you're debating with me about it, I was agreeing with you by saying stasis is a good middle ground. The necromorphs move a LOT faster in 3 though as part of its final transition from horror to action so the autoaim in that one is a bit necessary. But then again, 3 isn't a very good game compared to the others!

I got around to playing 3 recently and your avatar finally makes sense.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I always love stories about parents playing video games. My dad got really into Mario 64 with me (my first game - didn't have any consoles or w/e until I was 6) and I remember him getting really into it. Like, we both took it in turns trying to beat the final boss and failing, until one morning I got up before school and wandered downstairs to find him sitting in the study with a huge mug of coffee feverishly attacking Bowser and going "I got the bastard, son, I finally got him". It was great! And then he had a heart attack a few days later but he beat Bowser so whatever.

Then the next game we got was Starfox 64 and he said all the colours and fast movements hurt his head and he never touched a videogame again.

Me and my dad were like this except with Ocarina of Time. Also my dad didn't have a heart attack after we beat it. :psyduck:

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 05:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jastiger posted:

I think the conflict is that TES games are about BE WHOEVER YOU WANT TO BE and MAKE YOUR CHARACTER YOURS!
Where do people even get this idea? Skyrim is not like that.

Jastiger posted:

If you're Barsh McBarsh the Argonian, why the hell would you even want to join the Mages Guild?
Well, the thing is, you're not Barsh McBarsh the Argonian. You're the Dragonborn, the magic man who can do anything.

Jastiger posted:

you at least seem to be defending the railroad way as the "correct and only" way.
No, just the way that game works. If your problem with the game is that you think it should be a totally different game where you actually get to make meaningful choices, I guess that's fair enough - although probably not possible for any video game to achieve at this time. If your problem is that you already think it is that game, you're mistaken.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think you just gave a reason why people would want to use a controller, so I think you do understand why?
I understand that you say you find a controller easier, and I take you at your word. I don't understand how you possibly could find a controller easier though, because to me they are awkward and unwieldy and I don't know how anyone uses them. I don't have to understand your preference to accept that it's valid though. Like, some people like baklava. I don't understand why, to me it's awful. I accept that others like it and if you or anyone else wants to eat it then that's totally fine. But I won't because I don't understand the appeal. Do you see what I'm saying?

death .cab for qt posted:

But, Tiggum. The reason people want controller support on every PC game is that they are already used to using the controller for their video games, they have grown accustomed to the buttons and sticks instead of keys and mice, so they would rather play the game in a way that is already comfortable than relearn the control schemes or readjust to different muscle memory when USB controllers exist for the 360/Xbone/PS3/PS4, let alone the ones you can get for just PCs. I wouldn't touch a single GTA game with KB+M controls, despite extensively playing FPS games with KB+M, because I'm used to using controllers for my third person explodey car game.
Yes, I realise that. I've said as much, haven't I?

EmmyOk posted:

No offence to your mother but I don't think a tense thrilling game should be made easier because some people find it tricky.
What if it were an option you could turn on if you found the game too hard? I like when games have those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Clarence Thomas of gaming

Tiggum posted:

Where do people even get this idea? Skyrim is not like that.

Well, the thing is, you're not Barsh McBarsh the Argonian. You're the Dragonborn, the magic man who can do anything.

Tiggum you aren't wrong you're just dumb