Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
why do i have like 20% chance of having to "recompile the kernel"or whatever when i turn on virtualbox. the error tells me do type some crap int the console, so i do, a couple minutes later it says done and then it works again? idk. strange computing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
use vmware instead why are you using virtualbox

linux opengl has built-in support for vmware's opengl acceleration now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
is it free, as in beer ?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yes vmware player is free and it can do all the desktop poo poo you need it to do

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

yes vmware player is free and it can do all the desktop poo poo you need it to do

cool. thnx. i had vmware fusion on my macintoesh computer and it cost dollers .... what a fail

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

x11 does not ship with osx

right

quote:

and is not supported by the vendor

mostly but not quite right, XQuartz is hosted on an Apple-run site (Mac OS Forge) the people who hack on XQuartz tend to work for Apple. I don’t think any do so as part of their official day job though.

also unlike X on Linux these days, XQuartz is sufficiently compatible with the past that Symbolics OpenGenera has no trouble with it. (well, other than needing a bunch of xmodmap to get the meta keys right, but what did you expect from a Virtual Lisp Machine?) most of the Linux guides to running OpenGenera start with “install this many-years-old version of Ubuntu in a VM so you have a working X…”

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Smythe posted:

why do i have like 20% chance of having to "recompile the kernel"or whatever when i turn on virtualbox. the error tells me do type some crap int the console, so i do, a couple minutes later it says done and then it works again? idk. strange computing
it needs to recompile the kernel modules for virtualbox every time the kernel is updated.

it's poo poo imvho, use something else

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Zom Aur posted:

it needs to recompile the kernel modules for virtualbox every time the kernel is updated.

it's poo poo imvho, use something else

do Linux kernel modules still not have a stable binary interface in TYOOL 2015?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
no, and for good reason

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

no, and for good reason

well, there is *a* reason. calling it a *good* reason is probably a bridge too far.

the unstable driver interface is intentional but i'm not sure it's a good thing. i admire the intentions but the result is crap: shitloads of proprietary blobs with ever-changing weirdo shims

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this was literally true if you go back early enough

on "professional" workstations, there's no X configuration at all. XSun knows how to deal with Sun hardware. Xsgi knows how to deal with sgi hardware. Xhp knows hp hardware. poo poo "just worked." you start X and X starts. but that stuff started at around $5k, with no limit on the price

xfree86 was a shitshow because it had to cope with a wild variety of system architectures and hardware. any idiot thing ever dreamed up has been put into a 386 pc at one point or another

lol no

it is possible to support a wide variety of hardware without loving over users xf86 style if you have a moderately good graphics stack (architectural design + implementation). even microsoft managed to do it. with gdi.

xfree86 was a shitshow because it was a garbage tier implementation of an idiot babby architecture. you know how you love to lie about osx being stuck in the 80s? x11 actually is. except even though it was designed in the 80s it's so poo poo it might as well have come from the 1940s. literally the only decent-in-the-abstract idea in x11 is network transparency, but hey ho it's so bad in practice that shipping pixels across the wire with poo poo protocols like vnc actually works better (and not just because it's faster, but also because your software doesn't die if the tcp connection does)

quote:

x11 does not ship with osx and is not supported by the vendor

the reason x11 is not bundled any more is that it's irrelevant to 99% of osx users, and this is a good thing

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
do you think that would change if the kernel interface was stable?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well, there is *a* reason. calling it a *good* reason is probably a bridge too far.

the unstable driver interface is intentional but i'm not sure it's a good thing. i admire the intentions but the result is crap: shitloads of proprietary blobs with ever-changing weirdo shims

nbsd was right

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

would you get rid of silly wrappers if the linux driver api and abi were stable? no. would you get rid of massive user pain? yup.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

do you think that would change if the kernel interface was stable?

i wouldn't have to go hunting for the newest patch to an ugly shim layer for proprietary drivers every time i patch the kernel

like i said, i admire the goal. the goal was great. proprietary drivers are terrible. but they are apparently not going away. and twenty years of suffering is quite enough, thanks.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you want lovely proprietary binary drivers go use osx or windows

real talk

like yeah apple's own hardware has gr8 drivers but lol if you think realtek or whoever gives even 1/10th of a gently caress when they know full well microsoft will just get blamed for their shitboat garbage and not them

and if you aren't :pcgaming: pc gaming then what the hell do you need proprietary gpu drivers for? ok maybe cad poo poo, is there literally one other thing?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

lol no

it is possible to support a wide variety of hardware without loving over users xf86 style if you have a moderately good graphics stack (architectural design + implementation). even microsoft managed to do it. with gdi.

bear in mind i was talking about 1997

when they began this, in 1994, the xfree86 people were not starting with a moderately good graphics stack. they were starting with the half-baked mess that was the original x11 consortium's "X386" port. there were a thousand lovely things going on all at once, and the codebase was, frankly, disgusting

the proprietary vendors started from the same lovely start, but they had time and money and a carefully constrained set of hardware. hp and sun and sgi could take the consortium's turd and polish it into something pretty good really fast.

the xfree86 guys had to take a much longer, harder road to the same destination

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
to be clear, i have absolutely no desire for the entire world to use linux because most of that world is comprised of loving idiots who know full well they can feign stupidity (if they even need to feign it at all) to force other people to do their job for them and quite frankly you can't pay me enough to deal with that crap

but i don't want linux to be hard to use just to keep "the plebs" out either because guess what if something's pointlessly hard for them it's pointlessly hard for me too. i don't miss xf86config and init script bullshit being consigned to the garbage dump of history.

lemme use linux in peace and if you want to use osx then go right ahead, just as long as there isn't yet more loving software patent garbage preventing me from having A Method And Apparatus For Putting Pictures On A Computer Display Device because apparently putting a toll booth on every possible way of doing some loving math is cool and good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

and if you aren't :pcgaming: pc gaming then what the hell do you need proprietary gpu drivers for? ok maybe cad poo poo, is there literally one other thing?

i'm playin vidya games on the same desktop and laptop i use for work

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the linux kernel doesn't have a stable interface because kernel devs believe you can make wide sweeping changes to a thousand different drivers with no consequence

if it weren't for the antitrust concerns, Microsoft probably would've made WHQL signatures mandatory by now

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

BobHoward posted:

lol no

xfree86 was a shitshow because it was a garbage tier implementation of an idiot babby architecture. you know how you love to lie about osx being stuck in the 80s? x11 actually is. except even though it was designed in the 80s it's so poo poo it might as well have come from the 1940s. literally the only decent-in-the-abstract idea in x11 is network transparency, but hey ho it's so bad in practice that shipping pixels across the wire with poo poo protocols like vnc actually works better (and not just because it's faster, but also because your software doesn't die if the tcp connection does)

the reason x11 is not bundled any more is that it's irrelevant to 99% of osx users, and this is a good thing

wireshark now has a native interface via QT and I finally free to banish XQuartz from the realm

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

...X386...xfree86...

X386...
XFree86...
X Three Eighty Six...
X Free Eighty Six...

*Th*ree...
*F*ree...

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

if you want lovely proprietary binary drivers go use osx or windows

real talk

like yeah apple's own hardware has gr8 drivers but lol if you think realtek or whoever gives even 1/10th of a gently caress when they know full well microsoft will just get blamed for their shitboat garbage and not them

do your lovely rear end free as in piss drivers do video hardware decoding

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Its only Free if your time is Worthless

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

X386...
XFree86...
X Three Eighty Six...
X Free Eighty Six...

*Th*ree...
*F*ree...

xfree86 was a fork of X386

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the proprietary unix era had its moments

you could sit down in front of a unix desktop and everything just worked out of the box

somebody needs to re-read The X-Windows Disaster

Steve Strassmann posted:

Unlike a PC Jr, however, this workstation with $150,000 worth of 28 bits-per-pixel supercharged display hardware cannot display more than 16 colors at a time.

this was in 1991 dollars on an HP 9000/835 with two Turbo SRX graphics systems, two displays, and… vendor X11.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ahmeni posted:

do your lovely rear end free as in piss drivers do video hardware decoding

or enough 2D/3D acceleration to get reasonable compositing performance?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

Its only Free if your time is Worthless
wisdom

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

somebody needs to re-read The X-Windows Disaster

this was in 1991 dollars on an HP 9000/835 with two Turbo SRX graphics systems, two displays, and… vendor X11.

he's not complaining that x11 doesn't work, he's complaining that all the extra bells and whistles turned out to be totally unsupported. and that is a valid complaint. hp hosed him in the rear end

the 835 was a rad fuckin system. overengineered to the nines. literally 1/4" steel for the backplanes. yes, multiple backplanes. all-modular.

maybe that's how they ended up with cool features like hardway overlay support and literally 0 software that supported it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol @ hp starbase

it's 1991 and they're still imagining you will only draw 3d on a dedicated display, instead of inside of an x11 window.

quote:

This also means I cannot use the super cool 3D graphics hardware either, because in order to draw a cube, I would have to "steal" the frame buffer from X, which is surly and uncooperative about that sort of thing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it all "just works" until you want to do something more complicated than emacs and a doc browser. truly, linux could learn from hp-ux circa 1991

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it all "just works" until you want to do something more complicated than emacs and a doc browser. truly, linux could learn from hp-ux circa 1991

that's been the X-Windows story all along though

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Note that X11's architecture is still unable to effectively use HW overlays outside of hacks like Xv, which never really worked correctly anyway and doesn't using RGB overlays either.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

that's been the X-Windows story all along though

well, no, it's not

i was briefly waxing nostalgic for proprietary unix on workstations because it actually worked reliably.

for many years lots of people found that xfree86 never just worked. under ideal circumstances, you would walk through a confusing ncurses wizard and then have it kinda sorta work after generating a config file.

the unix hater's handbook chapter is a potent reminder that "just working" in the proprietary unix era was "well at least i can log in, and netscape, emacs, and the doc browser are running"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I work Xorg and X11. I know the ICCCM inside out. I agree with some of the points he made and disagree with plenty of others.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
like lmao at him thinking Display PostScript was a good idea in the first place

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the unix haters handbook was a work of comedy, and not even the authors really believe everything they say

it is legitimately fuckin funny though

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

like lmao at him thinking Display PostScript was a good idea in the first place

true, any idiot can see that desktop graphics should be based on pdf instead

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, lemme just serialize my graphics operations to a PDF blob and pass that to the display server, said nobody ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

yeah, lemme just serialize my graphics operations to a PDF blob and pass that to the display server, said nobody ever

good thing nobody does that