Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Jesus Dustin, just tell women that you work as a substitute teacher for little kids. It's even the truth.

I do like how this shows Kelley completely thinks a person like Dustin is alone in the world and would never much less commonly meet other people his age that he would have an immediate rapport with because they're struggling through the same poo poo.

RandomFerret posted:

Pooch Café

Cool Family Guy joke.

Family Guy doesn't make jokes, it references other jokes to remind you of the original version. :colbert:

Pooch Cafe actually made a joke that referenced the commercial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Speaking of balls tripping,

Luann

Yes. :airquote:Incense.:airquote:

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

They seem to be thinking that Dashell was Mysterio the whole time, but I refuse to believe rubber mask technology has come that far. The real Dashell is tied up in the back of somebody's closet right now, waiting for a hero who will never come. :smith:

Juliet Jones

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Gamma must have found out the Brooke plans to drag out this story for another 6 months.

Oh good loving lord how is this story still going? What's left?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomFerret posted:

That's not Han Solo. It's Dustin.

Why are you writing Dustin/Zits crossover fanfiction?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

23% effectiveness. 23% effectiveness! :derp:

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Why are you writing Dustin/Zits crossover fanfiction?
Hey, it's a stronger storyline than either of the comics involved have ever had.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I like this implication that doctors are purposely writing in some secret arcane language that only pharmacists can decipher. My dad worked as a pharmacist and he had plenty of times he had to call the doctor because he couldn't read the prescription, not to mention that "doctor's prescriptions are hard to read!" has been a tired old joke for ages. But hey, it's Inspector Danger, so whatever. At least the first part of the answer is right, though no mention of aspirin being misspelled.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (March 1-2, 1957)

Peanuts: Year Two (April 20, 1952)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That tree jumping joke should stink but the fact that the punster is brutally gunning the victim down makes it funny.

What the gently caress is wrong with me?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sluggo is talking into a chalkboard eraser.

Also, holy poo poo LSOS is getting good.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Sluggo is talking into a chalkboard eraser.

With the horrorshow in panel 2 I did not see that. Also his fingers are inhuman.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like this implication that doctors are purposely writing in some secret arcane language that only pharmacists can decipher. My dad worked as a pharmacist and he had plenty of times he had to call the doctor because he couldn't read the prescription, not to mention that "doctor's prescriptions are hard to read!" has been a tired old joke for ages. But hey, it's Inspector Danger, so whatever. At least the first part of the answer is right, though no mention of aspirin being misspelled.
Having worked CVS pharmacy department, prescriptions are written in code although I'm pretty sure you can just look it up online. For example, a capital T with a dot over it means "take one" (tablet/capsule).

LtStorm posted:

I do like how this shows Kelley completely thinks a person like Dustin is alone in the world and would never much less commonly meet other people his age that he would have an immediate rapport with because they're struggling through the same poo poo.
If there's one thing I learned from online dating profiles, it's that plenty, plenty of people do not have their act together in their 20s, 30s...and beyond. Dustin is nowhere near as bad as it can get.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 1, 2015

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Not everything on my Sunday list is up yet, but this is a weather emergency post. Freezing precip won't wait. :ohdear:

Funky Winkerbean

Classic Popeye Sunday, in which a sailor never forgets a fist. (c. 1943)

Out Our Way (September 22-23, 1926)

And now, something to make up for what's missing. Quino (Joaquín Salvador Lavado) is a revered Argentinian cartoonist, but for some reason his wildly popular strip Mafalda, which he did from 1964 to 1973, was never officially rendered into English until 2004 by his home country publisher. He only got one dead tree book in the US until Kindle came along.

The hit-and-run summary is that Mafalda is a little girl who keeps getting hung up on the world's problems, and the strip deals with her interactions with her parents and a group of friends which gradually collected around her as the strip got warmed up. Quino conceived the strip as a mix of Peanuts and Blondie, only that kind of oversimplifies things since he keyed in on the politics and social issues of the times more than Sparky usually tried (and don't even get me started on whatever bubble Blondie lives in). Which leads us to the inevitable Schulz quote about Quino: "The kind of ideas that he works with are one of the most difficult, and I am amazed at their variety and depth. Also, he knows how to draw, and to draw in a funny way. I think that he is a giant."

Anyway, Peanuts in the morning if the lights are still on...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 1, 2015

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

That first strip hit me with a heady dose of chuckles and wistful sadness...

It's great! Would love to see more.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I had this exact problem when my computer died and I replaced it. I phoned the number it gave me and spoke to a helpful person who resolved the problem in under a minute. The only irritation was that it has you enter a number on your phone keypad and then you have to give the same number to the person you speak to immediately afterwards (which is really dumb), but even with that the whole call was really quite short and simple. I know it's a common stereotype that all tech support is obnoxious and makes you go through a bunch of useless steps, but you really should pick a company that actually does that rather than one that does it right.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I suppose it was farfetched for me to hope that this was a Kamen Rider Gaim joke.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Midnight Moth posted:

Having worked CVS pharmacy department, prescriptions are written in code although I'm pretty sure you can just look it up online. For example, a capital T with a dot over it means "take one" (tablet/capsule).

I don't think I've seen a handwritten prescription for fifteen years - these days they seem to be printed as part of the health management software.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Tina's Groove can be relatively funny, but man does it get vicious to its characters. Just reading Monica strips makes me feel like a grody high school bully. Hey fatty shave your legs! Ever hear of a hairbrush ya big smelly ogre? Maybe the bag lady you got your outfit from will lend you her deodorant, just try not to fall over your huge clown feet on the way over. Haha! We're all friends here.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

OK, this strip makes me definitely want to see more of Mafalda

Also, anyone who's been skipping Lost Side of Suburbia because it's wordy, stop right now and start reading it. It only gets better from here on out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kismet posted:

Tina's Groove can be relatively funny, but man does it get vicious to its characters. Just reading Monica strips makes me feel like a grody high school bully. Hey fatty shave your legs! Ever hear of a hairbrush ya big smelly ogre? Maybe the bag lady you got your outfit from will lend you her deodorant, just try not to fall over your huge clown feet on the way over. Haha! We're all friends here.

Tom the Dancing Bug presents: Monica the Unloveable Loser

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Argentinian cows do go abroad. In tiny little cans.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Glad to see Mafalda went over so well. The tricky part is seeing if I can make supply meet demand.

Anyway, here's everything else!

Peanuts gives us "perverse joy". (March 3, 1968)

Pogo: More snow and ice is pushing across the country, so of course it's time to celebrate spring. (February 28, 1971)

Super-Fun-Pak Comix

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Gorbash posted:

I don't think I've seen a handwritten prescription for fifteen years - these days they seem to be printed as part of the health management software.
It was six years ago before the huge electronic medical records push, but we still got plenty of hand-written prescriptions back then.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts gives us "perverse joy". (March 3, 1968)

You're a sick man, Charlie Brown.
And Mafalda looks pretty good so far, thanks for sharing!

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Next week: Outland.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gorbash posted:

That was my complaint the first time that comic came around. I had a pretty hard time believing that a doctor would just give a patient a handwritten note to give to the pharmacist. That just seems like opening yourself up to a world of litigation.

Anyway, The Dinette Set tries to lose weight.

Working Daze is just dumb.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Evil Mastermind posted:

That was my complaint the first time that comic came around. I had a pretty hard time believing that a doctor would just give a patient a handwritten note to give to the pharmacist. That just seems like opening yourself up to a world of litigation.

Anyway, The Dinette Set tries to lose weight.

Working Daze is just dumb.

Go to hell, Zarkour-Roberts. The both of you.

ah, that's great, much better.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

This one never sat well with me. Calvin would know full well that the actual name is 'Apatosaurus.'

Ode on the Mammoth Cheese Weighing Over Seven Thousand Pounds

We have seen thee, queen of cheese,
Lying quietly at your ease,
Gently fanned by evening breeze,
Thy fair form no flies dare seize.

All gaily dressed soon you'll go
To the great Provincial show,
To be admired by many a beau
In the city of Toronto.

Cows numerous as a swarm of bees,
Or as the leaves upon the trees,
It did require to make thee please
And stand unrivalled, queen of cheese.

May you not receive a scar as
We have heard that Mr. Harris
Intends to send you off as far as
The great world's show at Paris.

Of the youth beware of these,
For some of them might rudely squeeze
And bite your cheek, then songs or glees
We could not sing, oh! queen of cheese.

Were't thou suspended from a balloon,
You'd cast a shade even at noon,
Folks would think it was the moon
About to fall and crush them soon.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou hasn't updated yet.

The Phantom

Sunday Rip Haywire

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Daduzi posted:

OK, this strip makes me definitely want to see more of Mafalda

Also, anyone who's been skipping Lost Side of Suburbia because it's wordy, stop right now and start reading it. It only gets better from here on out.

Malfalda reminds me of the older Nancy, in a good way. Please keep posting!

As for LSOS I read ahead to see wtf big deal was, because I never got into LSOS, and figured maybe if I just read it all in one sitting it would amaze me. Everyone else seems to love it, I need to give it another chance after finding Heckbender so boring. Sorry, it has its moments but as soon as they drag in loving Calvin and Hobbes I was out. The only vaguely interesting thing was the fish people, and it read far too much like the Heckbender story of 'we got to get to x, we got to x, now we need to get to y, we get to y and now to the next.' Maybe if I didn't have to reread half the drat strips with the monsters because the font makes it loving hard to understand. No, it's nowhere near as bad as Luann, but it's not some groundbreaking story either. I read till the end hoping for some callback to the fish guys, because the entire ending was nothing but callbacks, but nothing. Ah well. Go Heckbender, I guess?

Zits question. Is there a reason Hector looks so much like the dad in the comic? Or did I miss that that's his other kid?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Zits question. Is there a reason Hector looks so much like the dad in the comic? Or did I miss that that's his other kid?

It's the same thing as with Dustin's dad and the temp agency worker who I'm still not sure isn't Dustin's dad in a dress and blackface.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TofuDiva posted:

Classic Funky

Ah, dated humor. I wonder what a modern equivalent would be?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Late, but, hey. Old friends over last night, got really drunk, stayed the night, decided to bake pretzels and bread in the morning, had to snowblow the driveway, like, 5 times, and now everyone's in the other room singing 80s karaoke and I'm posting comics and drinking a Bloody Mary. Life is good. :v:

Ok, I laughed pretty hard at that. Nice!

Phoebe and Her Unicorn caught up, so here are two..

Sneezing spiders? I don't remember that characteristic.

9 Chickweed Lane 2/29/2004 and 3/1/2004

There was a leap year in 2004, so you get two 9CWLs today so we can stay on track tomorrow. Sorry to ruin everybody's day. ;)

Good God you're weird, Amos.

Zits

Yep, every High School everywhere.

Kevin & Kell

Weirdly kind of good, Holbrook.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Weirdly kind of good, Holbrook.
There is nothing Holbrook won't defile.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

There is nothing Holbrook won't defile.

I don't know how you start with Totoro and not have the result be cute as hell, but Holbrook did it.

e: for comparison

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn caught up, so here are two..

Sneezing spiders? I don't remember that characteristic.
Marigold in the last picture. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

1. That middle panel is kind of horrifying.
2. Everybody's so surprised that Mysterio's plan was to kill Spidey and MJ.

Prince Valiant

Pretty sure Classic Val would have just hung them from every tree.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

• Locked thread