Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
He could easily still have some human organs and just have parasites making up his thoracic and abdominal walls, sorta like how that other jaw-parasite's area extended down into his upper chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hot drat. Love they way they showed a shotgun round going through the parasyte and hitting a human way behind him as collateral damage things like that really defined the brutality of the situation.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
God drat that was a brutal episode. Maybe we humans are the real parasytes.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

God drat that was a brutal episode. Maybe we humans are the real parasytes.

Kinda makes you think, don't it?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

XboxPants posted:

He could easily still have some human organs and just have parasites making up his thoracic and abdominal walls, sorta like how that other jaw-parasite's area extended down into his upper chest.
That was kind of the source of my question. Is he just patched parasites onto a now very fragmented human body that they have to aim, a few human organs surrounded and protected by a bunch of parasite matter, or is he just completely bullshit parasite tissue?

It's an important question that's probably gonna have to be solved if they want to beat him.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Whatever human tissue is left over is probably infused with parasite matter to strengthen it (like Reiko did with her own body, and like what happened to Shinichi after Migi fixed his heart).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Whatever human tissue is left over is probably infused with parasite matter to strengthen it (like Reiko did with her own body, and like what happened to Shinichi after Migi fixed his heart).

Reiko did that? I missed that, when did they mention it?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume she did, she did a bunch of weird stuff in her fight with the other parasytes and she also survived like a million bullets.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I assume she did, she did a bunch of weird stuff in her fight with the other parasytes and she also survived like a million bullets.

But isn't the downside of that technique that the host parasite has to then fall asleep occasionally? How in the world would that work with her functioning as the head, instead of just as a hand? Migi didn't seem to be able to control or even predict when it would happen, often occurring in the middle of the day or in dangerous situations, or when he got tired after a fight; I don't think we saw anything like that with Reiko.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

XboxPants posted:

But isn't the downside of that technique that the host parasite has to then fall asleep occasionally? How in the world would that work with her functioning as the head, instead of just as a hand? Migi didn't seem to be able to control or even predict when it would happen, often occurring in the middle of the day or in dangerous situations, or when he got tired after a fight; I don't think we saw anything like that with Reiko.

Actually that makes perfect sense, Gotou is made up of 5 parasytes, and 2/5 of them (its leg) are permanently asleep and slaved to whichever parasyte occupies the head.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

They sorta explain that this episode: low-power handgun bullets don't have the force needed to damage the parasyte in a meaningful way, hence the super shotguns.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Actually that makes perfect sense, Gotou is made up of 5 parasytes, and 2/5 of them (its leg) are permanently asleep and slaved to whichever parasyte occupies the head.

Hah, that could be cool, I could see it. And when they wake up he can go crazy cheetahlegs like that one time. Guess that could be the case. I was talking about Reiko though, not Gotou.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

Well that's what he was when first we met him, after getting hit by that truck he may have decided he needed a few less damageable organs.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

They sorta explain that this episode: low-power handgun bullets don't have the force needed to damage the parasyte in a meaningful way, hence the super shotguns.

I'd don't get why the guy didn't want armor-penetrating/FMJ rounds? One or two of those would destroy the heart as much as scatter-shot would.
Also, they just talked about flamethrowers one episode ago, why aren't they using them to check the humans on the second floor?

Personally, I would have hired the local gun-nerd to scrounge up some modified rifles that can run .50 cal Beowolf rounds. :getin:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'd don't get why the guy didn't want armor-penetrating/FMJ rounds? One or two of those would destroy the heart as much as scatter-shot would.

It's possible that Shinichi told them about the Parasites having the potential to shift their organs around. I don't remember when, but one of them shifted their heart to the other side of their body at one point. (maybe it was Miki, the 3-parasite version of gotou?)

If they can do that, you're better off having a medium amount of damage spread out over a large area instead of a very high amount of damage focused on a smaller area. You don't really need to completely annihilate the heart, after all; even a few shot pellets tearing through the heart should be enough to kill them.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 27, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought Jaw did that

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Using flamethrowers inside a building is a good way to get everyone inside killed.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

lure gotoh into a volcano and set things up to have him accidentally trigger an eruption that shoots him into space. problem solved

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
The next thing you're going to say is:

Adelheid posted:

lure gotoh into a volcano and set things up to have him accidentally trigger an eruption that shoots him into space. problem solved

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I would be just fine with the fight against Gotoh being exactly like the fight against the Ultimate Life form.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I'm not sure if they were censoring it or not, but the scene where Gotou takes the shotgun blasts head on is one of my favorite panels in the manga, very Terminator 2-esque.

The dark colors they used for him in the animation made it look like there were way less bullet holes.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Also, they just talked about flamethrowers one episode ago, why aren't they using them to check the humans on the second floor?

Because Very Serious SWAT Guy In Charge just kind of laughed off that suggestion, if I'm remembering correctly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Me, last episode: "So how are they going to distinguish between humans and parasites when the x-ray machine is inevitably destroyed?"
Me, this episode: "Oh, they AREN'T going to distinguish. That works too, I guess :v:"

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

I'm confused about something. Was everyone on the SWAT team aware of what they were there to do? Why would they allow the mayor's group to casually stroll out of the room after a parasite started wailing around and things started going nuts? I was under the impression that everyone on the team was aware that they were rooting out parasites and they could be anyone, so deciding that it was A-OK that a group of 6 or so people could walk out unopposed seems ridiculous.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Torix posted:

I'm confused about something. Was everyone on the SWAT team aware of what they were there to do? Why would they allow the mayor's group to casually stroll out of the room after a parasite started wailing around and things started going nuts? I was under the impression that everyone on the team was aware that they were rooting out parasites and they could be anyone, so deciding that it was A-OK that a group of 6 or so people could walk out unopposed seems ridiculous.

They were still in shock due to a human dying 30 seconds prior.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/research/bcab/news

quote:

Professor Milton Wainwright and his team have found a microscopic metal globe in dust and particulate matter collected from the stratosphere. Professor Wainwright said the structure is made from the metals titanium and vanadium with a “gooey” biological liquid oozing from its centre. He said there are several theories as to where it came from, the first being it is a complete microorganism programmed to propagate alien life on Earth. “It is a ball about the width of a human hair, which has filamentous life on the outside and a gooey biological material oozing from its centre,” he said.
:tinfoil:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Don't worry, the people involved with this are known hacks.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

There Bias Two posted:

Don't worry, the people involved with this are known hacks.
Don't ruin my dream of having a penis-shaped arm.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Daler Mehndi posted:

Don't ruin my dream of having a penis-shaped arm.

science will get there in time

e: hell you could probably rig something with a super soaker

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Gotou reminded me of a pillar man in that episode

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What? I don't understand the characterization at all...

Was the incident in the park with the baby the event that magically restored his humanity completely? Is he suddenly not borderline sociopathic despite all his physiological/psychological changes? Why is he suddenly scared shitless over Gotou and the possibility of dying? Why does his girlfriend say they've been through a lot together when for the most part it's been her following him around confusedly for the entire show with minimal interaction?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

There Bias Two posted:

What? I don't understand the characterization at all...

Was the incident in the park with the baby the event that magically restored his humanity completely? Is he suddenly not borderline sociopathic despite all his physiological/psychological changes? Why is he suddenly scared shitless over Gotou and the possibility of dying? Why does his girlfriend say they've been through a lot together when for the most part it's been her following him around confusedly for the entire show with minimal interaction?

It was a little bit being part parasite, but it was far, far more due to the PTSD he was going through after losing his mom, and the bug attached to his arm mixing with him further complicated matters until he wasn't sure what was causing what anymore.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Remember the fortune teller scene, I guess that's supposed to be the whole thing. Manga does pretty much the same thing.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Migi finally got his wish :unsmith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I don't get why the police let Shinichi go :v:

They've tested him via the hair-plucking method, but now they know parasites can also take over other body parts thanks to Gotou. And they have a handy method of distinguishing human parts from parasites thanks to the magic of x-rays.

Also, Shinichi had a conversation with the dude who slaughtered an entire SWAT team in front of several police officers. It was pretty one-sided ("Oh, you again. Welp, gonna kill you when there's less people around I guess, cya shitlords!") but it's clear they know each other.

Why are they just letting him go free?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Him passing the hair test indicates that there's a human brain, which is really all they care about.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Him passing the hair test indicates that there's a human brain, which is really all they care about.

Pretty much. They don't know that parasytes can replace other parts of the body despite the brain still being human.

Also, I was not expecting sex

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

Also, I was not expecting sex
It was right there in the episode title from last week's preview.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Counterpoint: Hirokawa. After he was revealed to have been human, everyone even remotely associated with parasites, human brain or not, should be suspected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
All that meant was that Hirokawa was a mad cultist.

• Locked thread