Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hated this show, the first time I saw an episode. Which was Sweet Dee Has A Heart Attack, which is one of my all time favorites. I had to basically be forced to watch episodes back to back. I haven't had any success with trying to show off one episode either. It seems like the show needs a few chances to infect people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Does anyone else have trouble introducing new people to this show? A problem I run into is that the first season and change isn't that great, so anyone starting there will probably think there isn't anything special about the show. But if you start with a random episode, I find that people don't really get it, which I can kind of see because a lot of the humor comes from being very familiar with the characters and style of the show. I've heard from more than one person that they tried to watch but didn't like it because "it's just a bunch of angry yelling."

season 1 is loving great.

what kind of people are you trying to introduce the show to lol, "i dont get it" is something i have never heard from anyone whether they like the show or not.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well, the people I introduced to the show with S1 loved it immediately.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was actually worried I wouldn't enjoy season 1 since I knew Frank wasn't in it and I loved his dynamic with the group in the odd episodes I'd seen before watching everything. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the season was, especially the underage drinking episode. Speaking of which, I loved the callback to that a couple of episodes back with Frank getting a chance to get involved in that scheme as well.

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother

Jerusalem posted:

I was actually worried I wouldn't enjoy season 1 since I knew Frank wasn't in it and I loved his dynamic with the group in the odd episodes I'd seen before watching everything. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the season was, especially the underage drinking episode. Speaking of which, I loved the callback to that a couple of episodes back with Frank getting a chance to get involved in that scheme as well.

I thought it was great how regretful Frank seemed over missing out on the original scheme.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

what kind of people are you trying to introduce the show to lol, "i dont get it" is something i have never heard from anyone whether they like the show or not.

Fox, for whatever reason, aired season one of the show a little before season two premiered. I started watching it then. I thought the show was brilliant from the moment I saw the introduction sequence was entirely night time shots, and instantly "got it". It's a subtle joke, but it's kind of a great wordless introduction to the dark mayhem of the It's Always Sunny.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think that S2E1 is not just a logical introductory episode, it's also basically a perfect microcosmos of the entire show, so if somebody doesn't get it, there's a good chance they won't like Sunny.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Does anyone else have trouble introducing new people to this show? A problem I run into is that the first season and change isn't that great, so anyone starting there will probably think there isn't anything special about the show. But if you start with a random episode, I find that people don't really get it, which I can kind of see because a lot of the humor comes from being very familiar with the characters and style of the show. I've heard from more than one person that they tried to watch but didn't like it because "it's just a bunch of angry yelling."

The first episode I remember seeing was The Gang Hits The Road; a friend of mine brought the DVDs out on a trip. It's a great episode because you don't need to know anything about the characters for it to be awesome.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

steinrokkan posted:

I think that S2E1 is not just a logical introductory episode, it's also basically a perfect microcosmos of the entire show, so if somebody doesn't get it, there's a good chance they won't like Sunny.

Yeah I think 2x01 was my first introduction to the show and for whatever reason I didn't bite then. When nobody here knew about it and I'd gotten into it, I generally chose some of my favourite episodes from the first few seasons, gave some back story as to what the dynamic was and back to backed them with friends. It does help that it's a good show from the very start though, and you never hear fans telling people to skip episodes to start it.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

'Charlie Has Cancer' is still one of the best episodes. I don't remember ever laughing so hard at a show - I guess that's when I fell in love with it. I started with S1 and knew nothing about the show, so Danny DeVito turning up in S2 was the most amazing surprise.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

When I first started watching the show I resented Frank a bit. I assumed he had been forced onto the show by the network as a known name draw for marketing.

Luckily he fit in straight away.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It took three years between showing my wife the first episode and watching the whole series.

I imagine the hard N didn't help at the time. She loves it now, though, gets mad when I watch it without her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hard n?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

I think the first season is good. Its a little more downbeat and grounded which makes the tone less jarring for new viewers before really ramping up the insanity in season 2

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The people I've introduced, they're usually pretty put off by the yelling until one of the jokes connects. poo poo, I had one roommate go straight from looking chuffed to like 20 seconds of this really weird high-pitched Mozart laugh that turned his face orange. Now he's out spreading the good news, too.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The first episode about the word "friend of the family", which I assume was offensive to his wife because his wife is Asian.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well it's okay to say it if the context is right.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I was "entertained" enough to keep watching through a (relatively) slow first season until Frank Sets Sweet Dee On Fire, specifically in Chinatown when Charlie spazzes out that he forgot to put the tape in. I knew then that whoever was writing the jokes was something special. Been hooked ever since.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I still think the best introductory episode is "The Gang Buys a Boat." It's not too crazy, it's very funny, and it introduces the characters really well. If they don't go for it, then the series probably isn't for them.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The Implication scene doesn't even require context to work.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This was the first thing I ever saw of Sunny :haw:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My wife was introduced to the show with "A Very Sunny Christmas," since I was watching it when she came home from work one night. As soon as Charlie attacks Santa, she was sold on the entire show.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the show was just meanspirited and trying too hard from the ads until someone showed me the community service episode.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the show was just meanspirited and trying too hard from the ads until someone showed me the community service episode.

"What is that? It's diet. Do I look like I need to be on a diet? ....terrible. Take a lap."

Classic Dennis.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Drunk Charlie as a ref: "DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

greatn posted:

The first episode about the word "friend of the family", which I assume was offensive to his wife because his wife is Asian.

I think it was more of a "yikes" than anything. Not a lot of shows throw out the "N" word on their first ever episode, especially if you're used to NBC comedies.

Also, my wife isn't Asian, that's my mistress. A bite of spice at night, but only white in the morning light, am I right?

That first season did feel a bit like it was picking a big issue and poking fun at it, whereas it's a lot more of an ensemble comedy now with characters playing off each other more as opposed to a central what the gently caress am I typing here nobody cares

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Brawnfire posted:

A bite of spice at night, but only white in the morning light, am I right?

:drat:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Drunk Charlie as a ref: "DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!"

This was the first episode I was shown too. Charlie deflecting shots from 8 year olds and grabbing the ball to go up for a layup instantly sold me on the show.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I think the first episode I saw was "Mac and Dennis Break Up." Kind of a weird start in retrospect, but I was sold on the sheer absurdity of some of the lines; especially Charlie "cat in the wall, eh? now you're talkin' my language." He's been my favorite character ever since.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Probably some of my friends have lame taste in TV. But I also think that the mean spirited, cynical humor, and the fact that the main characters are bad and insane doesn't click for people who are used to normal, warm live action sitcoms.

Nichael posted:

I thought the show was brilliant from the moment I saw the introduction sequence was entirely night time shots, and instantly "got it". It's a subtle joke, but it's kind of a great wordless introduction to the dark mayhem of the It's Always Sunny.

:aaaaa: wow, I can't believe I never caught on to that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

This was the first episode I was shown too. Charlie deflecting shots from 8 year olds and grabbing the ball to go up for a layup instantly sold me on the show.

Yeah, that was incredible, everything just completely fell apart in the best way.

A moment that always stands out to me from season 2 is "Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's rear end". There's a scene where he gets really upset and just starts reciting what I can only assume are lyrics from some song, but he's just spitting the words out so angrily, like it's some kind of mantra to hold down his rage, and it just keeps going and going while the others stare at him uncomfortably. It's great.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
ROCK, FLAG, AND EAGLE!

Pretty sure that is a Charlie Original.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha thank you, that's still amazing.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

ROCK, FLAG, AND EAGLE!

Pretty sure that is a Charlie Original.

dee's facial expressions in the background are loving wonderful in this

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Brawnfire posted:

That first season did feel a bit like it was picking a big issue and poking fun at it, whereas it's a lot more of an ensemble comedy now with characters playing off each other more as opposed to a central what the gently caress am I typing here nobody cares

Yeah, I was really happy when they got away from this pattern. The episodes were still good, but I probably wouldn't have really fallen in love with the show if the hot button issues thing had kept going. It just reminded me too much of South Park, which I'm not particularly fond of.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aye Doc posted:

dee's facial expressions in the background are loving wonderful in this show

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The only way I can imagine someone not enjoying episode 1, season 1 right off the bat is if they're the gang IRL.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
My first episode (watched at my boyfriend's behest) was Mac's Big Break, which he then realized was a terrible choice because half the episode is Dennis and Dee interviewing recurring characters I didn't know anything about. But I liked it enough to continue anyway. I liked them trying to make the waitress drink dirty dishwater. (Actually I don't think I've seen the episode again since then and I'd like to. Maybe I'll watch it now.)

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Propaniac posted:

My first episode (watched at my boyfriend's behest) was Mac's Big Break, which he then realized was a terrible choice because half the episode is Dennis and Dee interviewing recurring characters I didn't know anything about. But I liked it enough to continue anyway. I liked them trying to make the waitress drink dirty dishwater. (Actually I don't think I've seen the episode again since then and I'd like to. Maybe I'll watch it now.)

Best part of the whole episode is Charlie's scream at the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Y4JI_VpTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Speaking of charlie screaming; his dull-eyed screams of agony as Dennis climbs the fence jabbing into Charlie's foot in Gang Goes Jihad