Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man after how much bullshit dealing with Daimyo Hermitaur was, farming 2x Velocidromes is a cathartic heaven. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Also man, the Volcano is really lame. Just a reskinned previous area, huh? :smith:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's funny soloing the Elder Hall urgents because you immediately unlock the Caravan version of the fight afterwards. "Oh, you killed Chaotic Gore Magala? Why not cool down by killing his sickly little brother?"

Does anyone know what you unlock by beating the G-rank Caravan Dah'ren Moran? The Caravaneer says "Oh great, you gathered the last of the blueprints!" and The Man says "The Caravaneer finally approved my newest design" but as far as I can tell all I've unlocked is the G-rank Dah'ren Moran armor.

Volt Catfish posted:

Also man, the Volcano is really lame. Just a reskinned previous area, huh? :smith:

The best thing about this game's implementation of the volcanoe area is that you don't go there very often. Volcanoes are always the worst.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Drythe posted:

No really, why do people have the idiotic believe that doing something to get around a system makes it a good system?

Egg missions aren't fun, even with a transport set only succeeds in wasting time, and there is no monsters to hunt in the game monster hunter.

This dude gets it.

Also, is the Gore Magala in the "Crazy Love" mission or whatever it's called swole or what? Dude hits me like a brick shithouse that nothing else in HR has, I'm pretty sure Gore Magala doesn't do that much damage to me in any other quest either.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seregios, could you please go away for one god drat quest? :mad:

What the hell did they do to Stygian Zinogre? His bugs look terrible and don't track anymore. Or if they do, it isn't as accurate. And he has a three-hit combo that's absolutely no fun to deal with (charge -> tail flip -> Shoryuken). But despite getting smacked all over the map, and even with Seregios coming in while Stygian was super enraged, he still seemed easier than 3U's version, which makes no sense at all!

Glad I've got Wystones unlocked. Not so glad about the first quest being against a Frenzied Brachydios. It had the [Danger] warning so Sarge is gonna show the hell up at some point, I'm sure. Brachy still terrifies me, even with the dozens and dozens I killed in 3U...

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Moon Monster posted:

The best thing about this game's implementation of the volcanoe area is that you don't go there very often. Volcanoes are always the worst.

Bullshit, the 3U volcano was great.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Finally found a group that was farming a not as cracked out G Rank Garuga and got the pieces I need to upgrade my GS all the way :toot: Feeling pretty good about the skills I'm running right now.

Getting that last weapon upgrade unlocked Honing which I've never dealt with before. How significant is the lifesteal and is it worth more than an ~8% attack boost?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I've come around to the Great Sword after watching a video about it. Now that I know to sheathe it and run around to get at openings I quite like it. I don't think I'll use it online though, for fear of smashing other hunters. I guess I can use the Bow there, but I guess you'd need a different armour set for a ranged weapon.

Hopefully my copy arrives tomorrow. I've been trying out the weapons on the demo Tetsucabra in the meantime.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've come around to the Great Sword after watching a video about it. Now that I know to sheathe it and run around to get at openings I quite like it. I don't think I'll use it online though, for fear of smashing other hunters. I guess I can use the Bow there, but I guess you'd need a different armour set for a ranged weapon.

Hopefully my copy arrives tomorrow. I've been trying out the weapons on the demo Tetsucabra in the meantime.

gently caress other hunters, you hit way harder than whatever weak rear end poo poo they were trying to do. :colbert:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

tower of druaga posted:

gently caress other hunters, you hit way harder than whatever weak rear end poo poo they were trying to do. :colbert:

Also if another hunter wanders under your level 3 charge and gets hit then it's their own drat fault. Not like they didn't have time to get out of the way.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks to Kirin I am now afraid of Unicorns forever.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Great Swords are perfectly fine for online. Unless someone is standing directly in front of you the only attacks that'll knock them around are the A wide swing and the Super Swipe. You shouldn't be using the A attack in most cases anyway and you're usually doing the Super Swipe at the end of your big combo right before a monster gets up from a knockdown/trap so everyone's usually done doing damage anyway.

The X+A attack also launches teammates but it's not a wide attack at all and launching people into mounts with it is cool anyway :colbert:

e: Also yes, the big GS combo does a billion damage so gently caress everyone else, you need to get that thing off and they need to not get in your way.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 2, 2015

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Crowbear posted:

Finally found a group that was farming a not as cracked out G Rank Garuga and got the pieces I need to upgrade my GS all the way :toot: Feeling pretty good about the skills I'm running right now.

Getting that last weapon upgrade unlocked Honing which I've never dealt with before. How significant is the lifesteal and is it worth more than an ~8% attack boost?

The lifesteal is significant but also useless for the endgame where even with 750+ defense things two-shot you, and you're going to potion up without relying lifesteal proccing.

Attack is almost always the best because it's always working, defense can be useful if you're getting one shot without it, and lifesteal is only marginally useful because think how useful the healing cats are.

That being said you can re-forge the upgrade whenever you want (with more materials) so it's not a big investment.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

We did Dahren Mohran twice in Multiplayer for the HR rank up, and the second time we did it we killed him in an area where he rolled outside of the invisible wall :negative:

We could carve his body but not his head :smith:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Kill him quickly enough and you can't carve anything at all.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

Just dont use the sideswipe and you're good. The extra damage from the super sideswipe is worth it though

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Zo posted:

The lifesteal is significant but also useless for the endgame where even with 750+ defense things two-shot you, and you're going to potion up without relying lifesteal proccing.

Attack is almost always the best because it's always working, defense can be useful if you're getting one shot without it, and lifesteal is only marginally useful because think how useful the healing cats are.

That being said you can re-forge the upgrade whenever you want (with more materials) so it's not a big investment.

Makes sense, thanks! Now I just need a couple more of those zenith gems.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

We did Dahren Mohran twice in Multiplayer for the HR rank up, and the second time we did it we killed him in an area where he rolled outside of the invisible wall :negative:

We could carve his body but not his head :smith:

He's such a pushover that this happens more than half the time when I fight him. I even try and lounge around in the final phase until he gets closer but every one else usually just rushes him and kills him and whelp there go half our carves.

Bugs aside, monsters with a ton of carves are super annoying with the 60 second time anyway. I had to optimize a route to get the upper body and head carves for Dalamadur and I straight up can't get all 9 carves on Fatalis before the timer ends.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 2, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Does anybody have a translated list of Insect Glaive bug names? I'm following the GaijinHunter guide and I'm at the step where I have a ケーニヒゴアビートル and need to upgrade to a アムルマリキータ. Ingame, I currently have a Carnage Beetle and have the option to upgrade to a Gleambeetle or a Ladytower. Based on the skills it gets, I think I need a Ladytower, but I just wanted to make sure before I commit.

edit: thanks radium

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Bugs aside, monsters with a ton of carves are super annoying with the 60 second time anyway. I had to optimize a route to get the upper body and head carves for Dalamadur and I straight up can't get all 9 carves on Fatalis before the timer ends.

Speed Gatherer

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Does anybody have a translated list of Insect Glaive bug names?

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/insectglaive

Kiranico is pretty great for everything Monster Hunter 4 all the way down to dummied items. There are a few exceptions where they don't have the data yet and drop rates are listed at 0%.

v I saw insect glaive and I didn't see "bug" :downs:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 2, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/insectglaive

Kiranico is pretty great for everything Monster Hunter 4 all the way down to dummied items. There are a few exceptions where they don't have the data yet and drop rates are listed at 0%.

did you even read my post

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Kiggles posted:

Speed Gatherer

Hmm, yeah I guess I could put together a Big rear end Monster farming set.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dr Snofeld posted:

Mashing other hunters that stray into the path of your attempt to split the planet in two is half the fun of GS. Even better if you cut the tail off with the same swing. :getin:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Crowbear posted:

Hmm, yeah I guess I could put together a Big rear end Monster farming set.

I've been doing this since forever, although I wouldn't really call it a 'set'. Talismans usually make it a simple matter. Chances are, you have a Spd Gather charm, and can gem in the difference, if it isn't +10.

I sometimes make an exception for the Moran fights. The fixed weapons are so convenient I made a set in P3rd and 3U that had Gunnery King, and tinkered with Cat/Shakalakas to get them to more efficiently use the same tools. It's dumb, but why not. If you're already gathering quickly, might as well gather ballista and canon balls, increasing their damage just the same. Equip a a good Spread Gunlance and your own damage won't be impacted too much.

The story is different for the other fights. I'd just swap charms. Worry about all out damage when you have most of the parts you need and the odd missed carve isn't a big deal.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
Oh my god, it isn't like the only quests that matter are the key quests! I'm getting kicked out of rooms cause I DARE to do something other than keys. I just want parts guys, I don't wanna be like them with autoguard +10 at HR6.

Edit: I should just play with goons if I want jaspers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Elysiume posted:

Kill him quickly enough and you can't carve anything at all.

Wait, you can kill him during the first phase of the fight?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Wait, you can kill him during the first phase of the fight?

I don't think so, but if you kill him fast enough in phase 2 he rolls back past an invisible wall and you get no carves.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

How many more stupid urgents and frenzy missions do I have to finish before I get to HR caravan? They're really dragging this out.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hypha posted:

Oh my god, it isn't like the only quests that matter are the key quests! I'm getting kicked out of rooms cause I DARE to do something other than keys. I just want parts guys, I don't wanna be like them with autoguard +10 at HR6.

Edit: I should just play with goons if I want jaspers.

I think it can be proven experimentally that it is impossible to get a pick up group for the Wycoon upgrade quests. The one time I managed the guy disconnected after we killed the first monster.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is the Dhen Mohran bow worth making? I just need one more Brace, and it has every coating except Power (which I have a +7 charm for) and Blast.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is the Dhen Mohran bow worth making? I just need one more Brace, and it has every coating except Power (which I have a +7 charm for) and Blast.

It's amazing against gravios, so yeah make it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Tetsucabra armor is pretty cool, but I've really been missing speed sharpen from my jaggi set... I think I'm just going to deal with it and make a zamtrios or najarala set.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got stomped on by High Rank Zinogre earlier. I used to dance circles around him and I was wondering where all my fear of him from back in 3U went, but apparently it's back and in action. I guess I should try my horn next time instead of my dual blades, maybe. But it was pretty humbling to lose to such a thing after pretty handily dealing with Pink Rathian, who I thought was a much bigger threat.

That is, unless the 6-star High Rank quests are just harder than normal and I'm experiencing symptoms of that.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alxprit posted:

I got stomped on by High Rank Zinogre earlier. I used to dance circles around him and I was wondering where all my fear of him from back in 3U went, but apparently it's back and in action. I guess I should try my horn next time instead of my dual blades, maybe. But it was pretty humbling to lose to such a thing after pretty handily dealing with Pink Rathian, who I thought was a much bigger threat.

That is, unless the 6-star High Rank quests are just harder than normal and I'm experiencing symptoms of that.

They gave him new paw slams that are much tougher dodge which has made the fight a lot harder, in my opinion.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I just bought this game and I think the only things I've played that have come close to this series are Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus, are there any bad habits I should be avoiding before I start swording monsters to death? I'm already having a hell of a time with the camera but I think that's because I'm fighting small monsters that I can't lock on to.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Azure Rath is just unfun to fight in this game, which is a shame because his armor set is always great. Maybe I'll make the Seregious set instead.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I did the first few heaven's mount missions and my armor is starting to feel weak. What would be a good set to shoot for? My current set is the tetsucabra and I mainly use the IG

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Control Volume posted:

I just bought this game and I think the only things I've played that have come close to this series are Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus, are there any bad habits I should be avoiding before I start swording monsters to death? I'm already having a hell of a time with the camera but I think that's because I'm fighting small monsters that I can't lock on to.

Not really, you can't mess anything up, and you'll learn (the hard way, or otherwise) what not to do when fighting.

As for small monsters, if you're doing farming/farming missions, using a faster more agile weapon makes them a lot easier - it's simpler to use a SnS to kill weenies than it is a Greatsword or Switch Axe. But even the big weapons usually have at least one aoe attack that'll hit little stuff all around you - just don't waste your time trying to aim narrow strikes with huge windup/recovery.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
One exception: It's exceedingly satisfying (and not all that hard) to land big slow axe-mode charge blade swings on Bnahabras while they think they're safe way up in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DrManiac posted:

I did the first few heaven's mount missions and my armor is starting to feel weak. What would be a good set to shoot for? My current set is the tetsucabra and I mainly use the IG

At low rank any set will suffice if you keep it upgraded with armor spheres and +'s. Just bear in mind the Tetsucabra set is weak to water and thunder so you'll want to swap out if you're fighting, say, a Zinogre. Also make sure to eat at the Streek Cook's table before every hunt. Bread + Vegetables is the elemental res and defense up set.

Honestly I made a Nerscylla LR set and kept it up-to-date and it's carried me through all of low-rank. And I only use it because I think it looks baller as heck.

In High Rank, though, you're going to want to be a little more discerning.

• Locked thread