Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck

Clive hasn't been in the news recently, this is just poo poo-stirring. With Lambie off the unity ticket and Muir attempting to do his own thing, Clive needs to stay relevant so he is jumping in the air yelling ``I'M STILL IMPORTANT!"
Watch as he folds after getting the smallest of concessions for anything, just so he can pretend to have influence. Newman is gone, Clive has achieved what he wanted.

On other news, what new legislation can we expect from this week? Now that the metadata `debate' is finished and we didn't see a spill this morning, what other awful pieces of legislation are still up in the air? I know the HoR passed the uni reforms bill but that is never going to pass in its current form through the Senate, especially considering that Pyne didn't bother to consult with anyone outside the Big 8 (bunch of wankers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I handed out a resume to a cafe owner yesterday who declined my resume and told me minimum wage was too high and penalty rates are an out of date concept; therefore she will be unable to hire anyone until the government fixes those things. According to small cafe owner woman person.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

She's quite happy to call herself a journalist though.

Isn't that exactly what a journalist is?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

MaxwellsEquations posted:

? Now that the metadata `debate' is finished and we didn't see a spill this morning, what other awful pieces of legislation are still up in the air?
Funny how they made a fuss about 'red tape reductions' when repealing obsolete legislation (eg expired stuff relating to the analogue mobile network), but have given the AFP et al carte blanche so drop this massive red tape bomb on the comms industry.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anidav posted:

I handed out a resume to a cafe owner yesterday who declined my resume and told me minimum wage was too high and penalty rates are an out of date concept; therefore she will be unable to hire anyone until the government fixes those things. According to small cafe owner woman person.

Loooool

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

For the benefit of those lucky people who can't make out that small text...

quote:

Unlike a toaster, trading in your prime minister…

…tossing out Tony Abbott would be a disastrous breach of trust with the electorate, an admission of catastrophic failure where none exists…

…wreck the chances of a good Baird government romping home on March 28…

…after Abbott conclusively defeated the attempted coup…

…”political bed wetters” agitating for change…

…democratically elected PM…

The first question that voters will ask is why? What has Abbott done wrong that such a drastic step is required? All we really have is Prince Phillip’s gong

And then I had to stop.

e: HOLY poo poo the final part to that block about the climate change guy in the bottom right corner

ee: Okay wow, just everything about that loving page.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 2, 2015

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anidav posted:

The captains of industry are going on strike, they're going... they're going galt.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Paging Endman

quote:

Wickr app: The ‘Snapchat for grown-ups’ that federal politicians are using to ‘secretly discuss leadership’

IT’S been called Snapchat for grown ups and it may just be the tool that could bring down the Prime Minister.
Staying true to his portfolio, Malcolm Turnbull, the Communications Minister once credited for “practically inventing the internet”, has enlisted the services of a selfdestructing messaging app you might not have even heard of, The Australian reports.
Mr Turnbull, Scott Morrison, and other politicians implicated in the February leadership-spill-that-wasn’t, are reportedly using Wickr — a secret agent-style messaging app that sells itself on a guarantee of metadata-free messages and anonymity.
The app, described by one of its founders as designed for “very high tension situations, where if information gets out ahead of time, people could get hurt”, has reportedly been used by Mr Turnbull, Mr Morrison, and other MPs such as Alex Hawke to discuss the Liberals’ leadership crisis and “movement in numbers” around support for Tony Abbott.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

But how will ASIO monitor the terrorist threats if they don't have metadata.

The hypocrisy is not unexpected though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Paging Endman

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

cpaf posted:

I wonder if the Liberal party is still running the machine that churns out smarmy little smug tubby yuppies like Frydenberg and Jamie Briggs after their original prototype model Joe Hockey failed so catastrophically during mid-cycle deployment

It takes so long to recalibrate the grammar schools anyway but Pyne is hard at work to spread the methodology so yes.

Very pleased they're going with Bishop over Morrison for now. It's only temporary because Morrison wants to be Treasurer and the Liberals need to prove women are bad at leadership, so PM Morrison is still on down the track. The sexism dripping from Brandis right now is nothing compared to the hypocrisy with a Bishop leadership.

open24hours posted:

Isn't that exactly what a journalist is?

Then I'm a loving journalist.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If this forum counts as being published then sure, why not?

You don't have to be a good, or even accurate, writer to be a journalist.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Anidav posted:

I mean obviously you're the best person to inform of this problem. Just go and change the legislation to get yourself hired.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

George Brandis Censured

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

When the votes were read out and it became clear that the Labor censure motion of George Brandis had succeeded, government senators yelled “shame! shame!” at Labor.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
35 to 32

Penny Wong :allears:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Nuclear Spy posted:

Check out the name of the new UK thread.

So I opened up the UK thread and learned that UKIP is the most popular 3rd party. And that you'd need the other smaller 3rd parties to band together to prevent UKIP from making the plays in a coalition.
:itwaspoo:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

So what does this mean?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
What does this actually mean for Brandis and his not-quite-so-large intellect.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
As far as I can tell it means he has been officially voted in as Government Bozo.

edit: The government formally expresses their disapproval of him.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Like he gives a gently caress.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Good

- Hon Anthony Albanese MP – Parliament of Australia

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Damnit Wong you're too good for labor.

Ragingsheep posted:

Like he gives a gently caress.

You know he does though.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

TheMightyHandful posted:

But how will ASIO monitor the terrorist threats if they don't have metadata.

Through the same intelligence methods they used to catch the only vaguely credible conspiracy to commit an act (that Holsworthy thing).

OTOH, the metadata thing suits the AFP/ASIO/etc. If they have a mountain of data to analyse then they will need increased staffing/resources to analyse the data.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Remind me, what's actually the point of the ALP again?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Remind me, what's actually the point of the ALP again?

Something something change from within

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

A.bolt@heraldsun

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Not mine

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Murodese posted:

Hello friends,

Help out a non-struggling researcher and add links to this sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uTzSqPb7leRpoCL0HatAB_yKQ26ynmeioziuuOMEtBc/edit?usp=sharing

I'm basically looking for sites/blogs/news sites/social media/literally fuckin anything that accepts comments and social submissions. If you find a page that has comments of any kind (at least 5, hopefully more like 25-50, no more than 100), paste a link in that document. I only really need one per site, but add whatever you want.

Bonus points for:
1) pages that contain comment pagination (if you look at a guardian comment section with >20 comments you'll see this - the comments are paged ie. comment page 1, 2, 3, etc)
2) pages that contain a "click to expand comments"-esque button or link, which either expands the comment sections to show everything or redirects you to a page that has a full list (guardian has this too, "click to see more comments"
3) some combination of the above

Also need:
- some pages without comments at all
- anything out-of-the-ordinary (use your judgement - page that requires you to fill out a captcha or something to view comments? sure)
- variety of poo poo, not just politics or anything. not even australian, necessarily

Follow the headers - your nick, then any comments about the structure of the sheet (standard blog comments, disqus, facebook comments, whatever). Person that provides the most/best I'll buy something nice for (a game, a carton, whatever). Unless that person has like 2 links, then gently caress you I guess. Prize at my discretion, bonuses for anyone that provides a wide variety of links.

Thanks!

Everyone submitting to this ilu thanks <3

e; except jonah, though that did make me laugh

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

It would appear Abbott will be present during the NSW election. Unlike the Queensland election.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Very pleased they're going with Bishop over Morrison for now. It's only temporary because Morrison wants to be Treasurer and the Liberals need to prove women are bad at leadership, so PM Morrison is still on down the track. The sexism dripping from Brandis right now is nothing compared to the hypocrisy with a Bishop leadership.
What would Bishop do differently from Abbott as PM policy-wise, if anything? That last part is the feeling I'm getting is the Libs that support her seem to want the exact same set of Abbott-brand policies and think replacing the face at the helm is all that is required.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then they can accuse any opposition of being misogynistic. :ironicat:

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
George Brandis keeps being asked about questions on the existence of documents documenting Australia making a deal with Japan over submarines. He won't answer the question on the existence of the documents and keeps only saying no deal exists and then trying to attack Labor.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

What would Bishop do differently from Abbott as PM policy-wise, if anything? That last part is the feeling I'm getting is the Libs that support her seem to want the exact same set of Abbott-brand policies and think replacing the face at the helm is all that is required.

It's blatantly obvious isn't it. Or at least have a different face to walk away from the policy missteps that are absolutely killing them which is as good as pretending they never happened. That way if it looks worse, it's a woman's fault and gives them an excuse to...

SynthOrange posted:

Then they can accuse any opposition of being misogynistic. :ironicat:

This is the other selling point of putting Bishop in. Meanwhile Morrison plays Economic Safe Hands and Bishop mysteriously gives way for the Best Interests of the Party. Win-win, dump a woman and claim clean hands. Bishop is the perfect Downer, she doesn't even have to get anything right, she just has to be the fall guy. There is no way the Liberal party would keep her in for an election unless they planned to lose it.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Murodese posted:

np :3:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Murodese posted:

e; except jonah, though that did make me laugh

I haven't posted anything to it though?