Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Stuporstar's got a good suggestion. One of my favorite TD stories I wrote in one sitting, with a borderline migraine, finishing at 4 AM because I didn't let myself go to bed until the draft was done. The combination meant I didn't give any fucks about whether it was good or not, which is key to getting the ideas down. No stimulants were involved.

Megazver posted:

That's a good reason to keep trying to quit drinking and low your caffeine.

Basically this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've got a problem.

As early as a month ago I could write anywhere I had access to a keyboard, but in recent weeks I've found that I can only get myself to write when I'm drunk or over-caffeinated. Since I'm trying to quit drinking and lower my caffeine intake, it's become difficult to articulate my ideas. I have no lack of inspiration, but the ideas are like kidney stones passing through a narrow urethra. On top of that, I don't have nearly as much time as I used to due to hosed up hours at work.

I know this is a common question, but should I go back to drinking too much? I need to make what little time I have for writing work, and the only way to do that is get drunk or loaded on coffee/energy drinks. It's not healthy, but I really don't give a poo poo about my well-being anymore -- the only thing that matters to me is writing. I'm going to fail this week's Thunderdome because I can't get my story right no matter how many times I rewrite it, and after losing my last entry I'm really losing hope.

this this this lemme see

Your PM inbox was full, duder.

You should never want to go back to drinking "too much." The drinking and caffeine weren't helping you write, but they were distracting a part of your brain that would otherwise get in the way of writing. Fortunately, substances aren't the ONLY way to shut that part of yourself up. You're just going to have to retrain yourself.

For me personally, I like to have a beer on hand while working. Not because I need the booze to write, but because having a beer usually means, "hey, you made it to the end of the day. Kick back and relax." Which IMO is a good mindset to go into writing with. The whole "tortured artist" thing is a pleasing image, but most of us actually don't get as much done when we're miserable.

Some people are absolute monsters and their creativity thrives when they're actively destroying themselves. But you and I are not Iggy Pop or Neal Cassady.

Long story short, if you're asking yourself "do i need to consume ______ to write better?" the answer is no. You need to confront whatever part of your brain is trying to distract you with cravings and anxiety and self judgment.

Basically, fiction is in your brain, not in a bottle. The solution to your creative block, as it happens, is also in your brain. Not in a bottle. Give yourself some credit, the booze is not a writer. You are.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://moreintelligentlife.com/content/tom-shone/when-novelists-sober

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

I've been cutting down on booze and, as of 3 days ago, caffeine too. (Down from like 68 beers a week to 6 a week). I've found exercising has been the best thing for my thought process.
1. Forces you to drink more water so you wont be sipping on beer/coffee/heart palpitating energy drinks.
2.That time you have to yourself, running, cycling or whatever is a great time to think. 30 to 60 mins a day is enough time to half write a narrative in your head or dope out how you're going to tie everything together. Get home, wash off the stank and write everything down before you forget it.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 2, 2015

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Stuporstar posted:

If you need to lower your inhibitions to get writing, start writing when you're half-asleep. If you're the kind of person who wakes up groggy, force yourself to get up an hour earlier and write. No breakfast. No caffeine. Just sit down and loving write until your normal wake-up time. If you're already a morning person, do the opposite, making yourself stay up a little longer before bed. Sit in bed with a paper and pen (rather than sitting at your computer, which will just give you insomnia) and scribble your story until your head lolls forward and you're out for the night.

This would be my advice too. From what I've read, your brain makes creative connections most easily first thing in the morning, right after you wake up. During NaNoWriMo I actually resorted to a biphasic sleep pattern to keep the words flowing - go to bed early, get 3.5 hours sleep, get up for an hour to write, and then sleep another 3.5 hours before getting up for work. It was fine - pretty nice actually, spewing out words in the wee hours of morning onto a dimly-lit screen - and the only reason I didn't keep it up for the whole month was because it screwed up my fiancee's sleep pattern.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If you don't care about your well-being you may be having trouble writing because you're depressed. It's insidious, powerful, and capable of lying to you about anything. You can't power through it. Take care of yourself and the words will come back. Don't force yourself to write if failing to write makes you miserable - you will spiral down.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Well, it's not that beer and coffee make me more creative, it's that the beer made me stop worrying about things and the caffeine gave me and enthusiasm. Without them I'm just a nervous, tired wreck and I can't get my ideas in order. I have depression as well, but the drugs aren't covered under my insurance plan and they make me a listless zombie, so I just drink until I stop worrying and my back stops hurting. Then I usually feel up to writing, I know what Stephen King said in On Writing, and I agree with him for the most part, but his work after he got clean was substantially poorer than his nosebleed days.

Writing used to be my best outlet for frustration, but it's starting to feel less like a relief and... well, it's like a crippled, retarded baby I truly, truly love, but I'm not equipped to take care of any longer.

(no offense to people with disabilities intended with this post, by the way)

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Screaming Idiot posted:

Well, it's not that beer and coffee make me more creative, it's that the beer made me stop worrying about things and the caffeine gave me and enthusiasm. Without them I'm just a nervous, tired wreck and I can't get my ideas in order. I have depression as well, but the drugs aren't covered under my insurance plan and they make me a listless zombie, so I just drink until I stop worrying and my back stops hurting. Then I usually feel up to writing, I know what Stephen King said in On Writing, and I agree with him for the most part, but his work after he got clean was substantially poorer than his nosebleed days.

Writing used to be my best outlet for frustration, but it's starting to feel less like a relief and... well, it's like a crippled, retarded baby I truly, truly love, but I'm not equipped to take care of any longer.

See your doctor about medication that wont make you zone out as much. I have to take my drugs in the morning or else I wont sleep, there are literally hundreds of anti-depressants out there i'm sure they can find one that wont gently caress you around as much.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Screaming Idiot posted:

It sounds like you've got more important poo poo to deal with than writing. Work on fixing the other stuff.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, in this case bootstrapping isn't going to help, it'll only heighten your sense of failure and make you burn out faster. Your level of depression is going to affect how well you respond to people's advice. I have a chronically depressed friend who has so many other health problems and Kafkaesque poo poo (no joke) that's happened to him that he only has a few good writing days a month. So, here's the kind of advice I've given him that's actually helped:

1. You need to take care of yourself first, otherwise the days you have enough energy to write will be rare and you'll only feel worse about yourself. Eat and sleep as regularly as you can. Get exercise, even if it's just taking a short walk. GO OUTSIDE. Make sure you don't let garbage pile up in your place. All these little things contribute to your overall mood, so try not to neglect them as much as you can.

2. Do all those things a little at a time and don't beat yourself up when you fail to do them. Instead of beating yourself up for not taking the garbage out, tell your brain to shut the gently caress up and take the loving garbage out. Once you've done that one thing, you might find you have enough energy to do another thing. Take everything one step at a time.

3. With writing as your passion, give yourself the time to work on it. Saying, "forget writing until you get your poo poo together" is not going to help your depression at all, because you'll feel like not writing is a punishment for not doing the other stuff first and you'll be miserable. Instead, lower your expectations for your writing, but still do as much as you can. Give yourself stupid small word counts, like telling yourself you only have to write one sentence of your story per day. If you write more than that, great.

4. Keeping your goals small also works for things like exercise, like telling yourself to do just one pushup. Often, when you get down and do that "just one pushup" you'll end up doing a few more. Having done something positive for the day, you'll have less to beat yourself up for. Remind yourself about the positive things you do in a day. You could even keep track of them, so you have a written record to remind yourself whenever you start feeling like poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Stop playing video games.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I don't see a problem with caffeine assuming you're getting enough sleep. That you decided to cut back implies you werent

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Stuporstar posted:

Good advice

This wasn't directed at me, but I'm printing this out and sticking it on my wall, because knowing in my head that I need to do this stuff and having a reminder for it in my face are two very different things.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Or play them as a reward once you hit 1k words. It'll take a few days to get used to it, but eventually your body will associate the task with the reward and the task will become easier.

Depends on why you're playing them though. Any kind of game can provide a much needed psychological win at times when your life is lacking any:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5jDspIC4hY

Video claims that regular 'success' is a vital part of your psychological needs, and without it you can't really concentrate on higher needs. Where your life is lacking stability in the basic areas, playing any kind of game can give you an artificial win / reward. This can either act as a motivator to improve your life or become an addictive crutch, like the 'reward' of drinking / caffeine is.

That said, if you're spending all day listlessly grinding Diablo 3 / Destiny instead of writing / exercising, then yeah, switch off the drat console.

e: I'm probably just jealous of those with drunken muses. If I drink and then try to write I just fall asleep.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Mar 2, 2015

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I just finished the first chapter of my second novel. After my long walkabout through crazyland, I consider this a big win.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Anyone know of resources that talk about incorporating illustrations into a story? Specifically on working illustrations into the layout, rules on wrapping text, that sort of thing. Or also recommendations on what kind of program to use for doing that. I've never had to do it before, but I'm betting there's slightly more to it than Word Wrap in MS Word.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

re: alcohol/caffeine

Wow I'm not sure what to say. On one hand we have F Scott Fitzgerald, Dorothy Parker, Raymond Chandler, et al. But my gut is to say that the writing doesn't require that. And if it does require that, it's probably not healthy for you as a person.

That said, I wrote a short story drunk that I quite enjoy (it was a riff on Mel Brooks 2000 year old man). But the idea of having to be drunk to write is a disturbing one.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Screaming Idiot posted:

I've got a problem.

As early as a month ago I could write anywhere I had access to a keyboard, but in recent weeks I've found that I can only get myself to write when I'm drunk or over-caffeinated. Since I'm trying to quit drinking and lower my caffeine intake, it's become difficult to articulate my ideas. I have no lack of inspiration, but the ideas are like kidney stones passing through a narrow urethra. On top of that, I don't have nearly as much time as I used to due to hosed up hours at work.

I know this is a common question, but should I go back to drinking too much? I need to make what little time I have for writing work, and the only way to do that is get drunk or loaded on coffee/energy drinks. It's not healthy, but I really don't give a poo poo about my well-being anymore -- the only thing that matters to me is writing. I'm going to fail this week's Thunderdome because I can't get my story right no matter how many times I rewrite it, and after losing my last entry I'm really losing hope.

this this this lemme see

As many people have said, don't go back to drinking too much. You need to find a way to manage your depression that works without alcohol and with your insurance -- whatever that means for you. Alcohol is a depressant and will make things worse. The ups of over-caffeination will lead to the downs of crashing, too. Stuporstar gave good advice for self-care. It's really important to take care of yourself as much as you can.

Trust me, it's much better to fail Thunderdome over and over again than to drink too much just to write a story for the internet. You can check my fail record if you doubt me. ;)

You mentioned that it's only been a few weeks since you started struggling -- I assume this coincides with your efforts at drinking less alcohol and caffeine? It's so easy, when we are depressed, to stretch out two weeks of despair into a lifetime. I would not be surprised if, as soon as you read that sentence, you start coming up with earlier examples, finding other times when it was a struggle to write, making it a life-long problem instead of a temporary one. I hope you don't -- that's just how my brain works. Try to put something in perspective, and my brain will just get more imaginative at extending my current perspective. Depression is a bitch like that.

I don't want to make any assumptions about what "drinking too much" means for you, but I will mention one thing I've learned from my own alcohol abuse -- note I am not talking about being an alcoholic or alcoholism. When I try to drink less, one of the first things my brain does is start looking for reasons to drink. Writing is one of the things that part of my brain exploits -- it's easier to write after a few drinks! Or at least it has been a few times. That's good enough. This part of my brain is strong and sinister. It's also extremely short-sighted. It's also hard to ignore. It's also wrong and trying to kill me. It's also trying to protect me. From judgment, from self-criticism, from failure, even from depression, ironically. It just happens to be extremely bad at all that in the long run.

But writing is important to you -- and me -- so what can either of us do? In my experience with depression, I can't see a future beyond the depression, and I can barely recognize a past without it. I can't convince myself that in a few weeks, or maybe months, I might feel better and be able to write again with the same ease as I did before, if that even ever happened. This is how I am. Doomed. I'll never be able to write easily again. I'll never get better. I'm lying to myself. I'm a fool. I can't even pretend that I'm just inexperienced, that i'm on the path but not there yet, because I know I can't -- won't (I obviously could if I wasn't such a poo poo head) -- ever be what it takes or do what it takes. (unless I drink, a voice whispers. Shut up, you.)

Like I said before, one important thing is to find a way to manage your depression, but this isn't the place for that -- basically, therapy and medication, find options that work with your insurance and/or lack there of.

Second, and applicable to this thread, how to write when depressed?

I like free writing. I suggest this all the time, and I swear to god it is a functional way to get ideas onto paper and to write without feeling like you are dying painfully. Free writing is... well, it's just that. It's writing just for the sake of putting words on a page. Personally, I find it works better when I do it with a pen on paper, possibly because it's easier to throw it away -- or pretend that I am going to throw it away. Sometimes I just literally write "I am writing this just to put words on a page and also I hate everything and this is dumb, and I'm just writing and it is dumb." Try writing that 10 times in a row without wanting to write something else, though. More often I use "focused" free writing, which just means writing whatever I'm thinking about a given story, but with the same approach. Here's an example:

quote:

Neza blames herself for not protecting Gregor.

Does Gregor blame himself for not protecting Neza? He mostly blames himself for not standing up against Mascha's version of the story, for not insisting that the Iodu had healed the dog, and hadn't hurt them, that Mascha hadn't saved them, because there was nothing to save them from, and he really wishes he had forced (convinced) Neza to trust her own memory of the event, instead of placing so much faith in Mascha. He especially wishes that now.

Let's say that the Iodu marks Gregor with its blood, or the wolf blood, but doesn't actually mark Neza because Mascha interferes? I'm not sure. That gives her a kind of "survivor's guilt" but it doesn't explain how there's some element of choice....Maybe Macha wipes off the blood and they all promise not to tell anyone--that also kind of explains why Mascha stops writing letters. She doesn't want to deal with it--she is scared. I guess she feels guilty that she didn't save Gregor, too, but her solution is to run away again. Hmmm. I should probably empty the litter box, but I don't feel like moving... related?

So....clearly none of these words are going to make it into the final story. I mean "Neza" and "Gregor" and "Iodu" and "Mascha" and probably some version of "protection" -- but you get the idea. I'm not writing a draft, I'm just writing. And that's something.

My last note about writing as a person dealing with depression: don't be a dick to yourself. You're going to read something eventually, if you aren't already thinking it, about how you need to just buck up and do it, blah blah blah. That's all bullshit. If you want to write, write. If you don't want to write, don't write. If you want to write but also don't want to write? Decide which one you want more. I mean the action. The actual action of writing. Do it or don't, whichever you decide.

You know when this goes wrong? For me, it happens when I start asking whether or not I'm a writer.

When I wish I had written in the past, but didn't. When you start cycling that in your brain, revving it up, repeating it to yourself. The good old metaphor is the tooth ache, you keep tonguing it, even though it hurts. You should have, but you didn't. Drop it. Do your best to drop it. Fight yourself to drop it. Get exhausted fighting yourself to drop it. Take a step back and watch yourself fighting yourself to drop it. Don't try to stop thinking it, just watch yourself thinking about it. What the gently caress am I doing? you might ask. Try to watch the battle from above. i dunno, it helps sometimes. For me, I see that voice with it's crazy repetition that I didn't write that one time, but I also see that replaying that over and over again, or rather, flinging that at myself as proof of my ultimate failure again and again, doesn't do any good. I'm not learning. I'm not writing more. I'm just hitting myself for nothing.

Or I paralyze myself: I want to write now, but.... but something. Only thing I know to fight the "but something" is free-writing or trying to bully myself into doing it. Bullying myself might work for a while, but ultimately, it makes me feel like poo poo. Ill tell yourself all kinds of terrible poo poo to try to make myself do a thing -- but it's either the exact kind of terrible poo poo that makes anything hard to do, or the kind of terrible poo poo that makes me feel lovely anyway.

If you want to be a writer...no one else has anything to do with that. "Being a writer" is an invented ego-state. I'm not just spouting platitudes here either. What does it mean to "be a writer" ? Nothing. It means nothing. Or it means anything anyone wants it to mean, which is the same. There's no such thing as a "real writer." What could that even mean? You think a real writer gets paid? The next 10 posters who ask for it, I'll paypal you a dollar in exchange for a sentence asking me for a dollar. You can be a real paid writer for the rest of your life. Done. Doesn't count? What counts?

As Kurt Vonnegut said "We're all shitters when we're the toilet." Just kidding, he didn't say that, I don't think.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One thing I've found very helpful is to have a copy of Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey to hand. Every time you feel like you're a bad writer, open one at a random page, and as you marvel at the horrible prose, remember that these are bestselling published works. The level of quality you're beating yourself up over is nowhere near what the industry or your eventual readership will be expecting.

It helps at the drafting stage anyway. Just write, hit your word count and then fix it later in the editing run.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One thing I've found very helpful is to have a copy of Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey to hand. Every time you feel like you're a bad writer, open one at a random page, and as you marvel at the horrible prose, remember that these are bestselling published works. The level of quality you're beating yourself up over is nowhere near what the industry or your eventual readership will be expecting.

It helps at the drafting stage anyway. Just write, hit your word count and then fix it later in the editing run.

And if you bother to consider why they were successful, instead of just using them as self-congratulatory shame-porn, you might learn something, too. :D

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

And if you bother to consider why they were successful, instead of just using them as self-congratulatory shame-porn, you might learn something, too. :D
I am. I just also find that when I'm stuck on one sentence and am agonising over technicalities, it's reassuring to see that there are published authors who apparently smeared their works on the back of a happy meal box in crayon.

I guess with me editing isn't the problem, the first draft is. I get way too elitist and finicky over what I'm writing and I need to remind myself to cut the florid prose and just write. I can hack it into shape later, but first there needs to be something to hack.

Maybe it's a thing that's more applicable to my own form of writer's block though. My main hitch is that I look at what I'm writing and think it's awful, even when it's the first draft and it's OK for the sentence resonance to be jarring as long as the ideas and events are there. Looking at 50 Shades or Twilight reminds me that simple prose is OK, it's the story that matters.

e: I was also being more than a little facetious.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 3, 2015

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Yeah, I think what DrK is saying is just that those books are, by economic and pop cultural metrics, successful books. They're not super great from a technical standpoint, but if you're looking to get published, understanding why they're popular is still important.

I think that sort of issue you're having is pretty common, because I know I get that more than I'd really like. The tough part is that getting around it is really just training yourself to write through it. Even if you don't feel "motivated" or 'inspired', because motivation/inspiration is a transitory rear end in a top hat that you can't rely on. Maybe you force yourself to write a scene that's half as good as it could be, but that's still better than having not written it. A story/chapter/passage/paragraph that's not as good as it could be is infinity% better than a perfect but nonexistent story/chapter/passage/paragraph.

I finished out a story I was working on by writing the second half, then when I went back to edit, deleting each paragraph and writing that part of the story over, but better. If I hadn't gotten it out on the page first, I would have been left struggling to try to untangle what works from what doesn't work while it's all still unformed in my head. It'd be like trying to decide which cookie is the tastiest before you've even rolled out the cookie dough.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Oh hey look at this long reply i typed on my phone and never submitted. A little late now but so much work....

While I love wine, and have been known to drink a glass when I sit down to write, probably 95% of my thunderdome stuff is done stone cold sober. I don't drink coffee either. It's more about training yourself to write regardless of your situation, and it CAN be done. Writing through depression is the harder one, but it can be learned too. Habits are habits. I enter TD even when I shouldn't just because I've been doing it every week for almost two years. And I write a story every week even when I don't feel like it because I have been for two years. All of a sudden writing is not my adversary, but just something I just do, and low and behold, I'm actually starting to write things people enjoy most of the time. And best of all i don't have to force myself into it. It just happens.

I want to upgrade to writing and publishing, so I'm going to try to translate what I've learned into longer projects.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
There was this wise thing some guy once said, he was a photographer and it was about passion vs... discipline? Something like that. I forgot his name anyway so it doesn't matter, but his point was that if you want to get good at something you have to be able to do it even when you don't feel like it. Of course this is only if you really want to get better. I never fixed a car in my life and now I'm a poo poo mechanic but I'm fine with that. But I want to become a better writer, so I write every week, no matter how obscene of a shift I work, or how much private stress I have, I force something out if I have to, and I try to make it as good as possible. And I like to think that I have improved in the year I've done it.

That's why Thunderdome works for me, because it keeps me writing constantly, even though I'm usually a lazy piece of poo poo. I always find a bunch of hours somewhere to squeeze out a flash fic entry, and if only to avoid that red FAILURE tag. It keeps me in the loop. The only reason I could ever imagine ditching it is to focus on larger writing projects.

It's hard at first but eventually you want to preserve your streak and then you start building diligence. At least that's how it worked for me.

crabrock posted:

low and behold

lol phone

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Entenzahn posted:

There was this wise thing some guy once said, he was a photographer and it was about passion vs... discipline? Something like that. I forgot his name anyway so it doesn't matter, but his point was that if you want to get good at something you have to be able to do it even when you don't feel like it.
That is my biggest challenge at the moment. My brain is like a sulking teenager when I sit down to write, it doesn't want to, it refuses to produce anything.

So I free write. And it starts off terrible, but then after about 250 words, ideas start to happen. By 1k I usually have something I can use and am excited about what I'm doing. So then I move on to my commercial stuff, and get going.

Once i've got momentum I genuinely, genuinely love writing. It's just so difficult to convince my brain to start. I completely sympathise with anyone stuck at that "I'm not inspired today" stage, but it's so worth finding a way past it.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I suppose I'm lucky that I don't need to be drunk to get ideas -- if anything, I have too many ideas. Everyone has ideas, from Faulkner to Dostoevsky to Myers to the redneck scraping gum from the bottom of picnic tables. The trick is to get them down, to translate thought to words. That's where I'm hurting. I'll write hundreds of words, pat myself on the back, go to them later, and delete them all because they're loving garbage bullshit that only an illiterate moron would write.

When I drink, I don't worry, and I don't hate myself as much. I don't hate my work. I can look at my stuff, shrug, and keep writing. So what if it sucks? And so what if I have to walk eleven miles to work in the snow tomorrow? I still have half a bottle of wine and so much blank space to fill. Put on some music and fill. That. poo poo. UP.

But I gotta stop drinking. I gotta stop the caffeine. I had a nasty realization recently -- I woke up one morning and my eyes were blood-red and aching, my vision blurry. I had my eye doctor check me out, and he told me that if I didn't change my habits, I would soon go blind. In other words, I put so much stress on my body that my eyes are about to explode.

I think I'm going to take a break from writing after I finish my next TD entry. I have enough stress to deal with without adding more bricks to the pile.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Screaming Idiot posted:

the redneck scraping gum from the bottom of picnic tables.

Write a story about this guy please. I would like to know more.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I never read what I wrote immediately after writing it. Like I haven't even reread my winning TD piece this week. I usually wait about a month or so before revisiting them. That helps a lot because I can say "wow, that was bad a MONTH ago, but I'm probably totally better now." It keeps me writing.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'll write hundreds of words, pat myself on the back, go to them later, and delete them all because they're loving garbage bullshit that only an illiterate moron would write.

This bit sounds counterproductive, to say the least. Anything can be polished up into something good.

It might not bear any resemblance to the original words once you've finished, but you need to see rewriting your terrible first draft as a standard part of the process, rather than something you might be able to skip if only you delete all your existing words and poo poo out the right ones onto the pure virgin paper.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
Oh Man, this week's TD is tough. I should have put more thought into my pick.
I just picked a song at random. Now listening to the song and sussing out the lyrics I might be in trouble!

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 5, 2015

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Bompacho posted:

Oh Man, this week's TD is tough. I should have put more thought into my pick.
I just picked a song at random. Now listening to the song and sussing out the lyrics I might be in trouble!

gently caress the lyrics. write a story. a vast amount of tmbg lyrics are nonsense anyway. what story does listening to the song MAKE you want to write?

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

crabrock posted:

gently caress the lyrics. write a story. a vast amount of tmbg lyrics are nonsense anyway. what story does listening to the song MAKE you want to write?

I had Purple toupee, it all appears to be jumbled American history which is cool and interesting since I live in a country with less culture than a tub of yogurt.
I had an idea of an old soldier remembering past battles or something. Just not sure how to tie it all together and make it something people would want to read.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Bompacho posted:

I had Purple toupee, it all appears to be jumbled American history which is cool and interesting since I live in a country with less culture than a tub of yogurt.
I had an idea of an old soldier remembering past battles or something. Just not sure how to tie it all together and make it something people would want to read.

Yeah do a story where the past or memories or a character's inability/being haunted by them, etc. plays a role. Just use a part of the song to inspire the story. Don't be literal with it whatsoever.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Jagermonster posted:

Yeah do a story where the past or memories or a character's inability/being haunted by them, etc. plays a role. Just use a part of the song to inspire the story. Don't be literal with it whatsoever.

Oh yeah, I was looking to displace the events in the song to another place and time. Or is that too literal?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

100% literal with my song. it's in second person and it's about a guy who's got a date in constantinople but every gal in constantinople lives in istanbul not constantinople so if you've got a date in constantinople she'll be waiting in istanbul

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Djeser posted:

100% literal with my song. it's in second person and it's about a guy who's got a date in constantinople but every gal in constantinople lives in istanbul not constantinople so if you've got a date in constantinople she'll be waiting in istanbul

:psyboom: Can't wait to read that.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
is this creeping sense of dread normal

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Bompacho posted:

:psyboom: Can't wait to read that.

i already changed it and showed it to my irl writing buddy. why i changed it i can't say but people just like it better that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

crabrock posted:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Write something 1000 words or less inspired by that song. You can take inspiration from anything related to the song, and interpret it really broadly, but it should be kinda related somehow. And you can do whatever format you want. Yeah, finally that trio of sonnets you have been wanting to do, whatever, go for it (keep reading though).

YOU MAY NOT:
1) Pick Particle Man
2) Write something that is basically the same story as in the TMBG song, but with more words.

kinda related somehow. go forth. produce story.

• Locked thread