Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

thebushcommander posted:

Can someone tell me what the monthly cost would be for a family share plan with the following options, I can't find anywhere on the At&t site where I can price out a plan, everything is just giving me options as if I am an existing customer even though I am not logged in.

2 lines @ 450 rollover minutes
Unlimited texting
10GB data shared

I'm currently on a single line Next12 plan with 450 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data (old school) and I am paying ~$135 a month (around $99 after 12 months is up I guess) Don't really need to keep Next account if I change to a 2 line plan though, I generally never buy subsidized phones unless I am selling them off immediately.

Edit: NM I found it finally. Setup on the site is terrible.

How much data do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just loving kill my line already if my unlimited data pisses you off so much, AT&T. :argh:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just loving kill my line already if my unlimited data pisses you off so much, AT&T. :argh:

Why would you keep it if they keep doing that to you?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Why would you keep it if they keep doing that to you?

If it's an individual plan it's still a decent rate if you use 5GB+ (where they start throttling). $90 for unlimited data, vs $95 for 6GB and the 6GB doesn't include a phone subsidy. If you have a $5 testing plan it's even less.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Can I just get in a nice 'gently caress you' to AT&T for pushing 4.4.4 for my Galaxy S5 two days ago, when everyone else is getting 5.0?
Especially since it added more bloatware I can not get rid of, and it had me falsely excited that 5.0 had come out for my phone. Only to reboot and see 4.4.4 in the System Info :(

Also 4.4.4 broke my WiFi, it drops and reconnects every 2 minutes now too.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Meta Ridley posted:

Also 4.4.4 broke my WiFi, it drops and reconnects every 2 minutes now too.
A fellow at work had the same issue on his note 3 until he did a factory reset. He got the 4.4.x update a month or so ago, and it caused all kinds of wifi issues.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Meta Ridley posted:

Can I just get in a nice 'gently caress you' to AT&T for pushing 4.4.4 for my Galaxy S5 two days ago, when everyone else is getting 5.0?
Especially since it added more bloatware I can not get rid of, and it had me falsely excited that 5.0 had come out for my phone. Only to reboot and see 4.4.4 in the System Info :(

Same exact thing here with my HTC One M8 last week. How the hell did Uber get on here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Same exact thing here with my HTC One M8 last week. How the hell did Uber get on here?

Probably got on there through money paid to AT&T.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So after looking at some forums, it is a pretty widespread issue. The workaround is to turn off Smart Connect in WiFi settings, though this means you no longer have auto network switching and have to connect to networks manually. I do have a stable WiFi connection again though and my battery no longer drains as fast

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, we added a new line to our plan from Verizon, and AT&T gave us a $150 switcher credit a couple of bills later. Didn't even know that existed, not bad!

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

Wow, we added a new line to our plan from Verizon, and AT&T gave us a $150 switcher credit a couple of bills later. Didn't even know that existed, not bad!

Yup. They still have it only now it is $100.

Also, being on t-mobile sucks when I leave any metro area. I am on edge on AT&T.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Apparently the Lollipop update is live for the LG G3 in the US, but I'm unfamiliar with how AT&T does updates. Do they roll them out regionally or something? Because when I go to "check for update" it says my device is up to date.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RichterIX posted:

Apparently the Lollipop update is live for the LG G3 in the US, but I'm unfamiliar with how AT&T does updates. Do they roll them out regionally or something? Because when I go to "check for update" it says my device is up to date.

Like most updates it's a phased rollout over the next week or so.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I just talked to a phone rep that literally had no clue grandfathered data plans were throttled after 5 GB. I took that opportunity to express how truly horrible it was that he didn't know, and asked that someone call me back about why it's being throttled if AT&T says it isn't (I will never hear back)

pzy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 18, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if AT&T Uverse is good or not? My apartment complex will be changing to it from time warner and I want to know if there are data caps or poor speeds or anything.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I assume they are pulling in fiber and not using copper. In that case, you shouldn't have any speed, latency, or reliability issues unless there is something specifically going on in your local CO that is causing it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Btw, go phone plans got increased date limits:

$45 for unlimited call, text and 1.5GB

$60 for call, text and 4GB.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
About how long does it take for new accounts to become eligible to add international roaming features?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MrNonacho posted:

About how long does it take for new accounts to become eligible to add international roaming features?

6 months, but usually you can get someone to override it. Store managers have to ability too.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm getting ridiculously slow AT&T LTE data speeds in Chicago on an iPhone 6. Almost always I'll be under 3Mbps, usually 0.5-1.5 Mbps. This is with Ookla speedtest.net. It's not fast enough to stream Pandora or podcasts, even in the heart of the city right next to cell towers. What gives?

I am NOT on unlimited, but I USED TO have a grandfather unlimited plan before someone got a new phone and changed our plan around. Could the throttle be sticking somehow, even though we now have 10GB shared family?

Called 611 and went through a horrible call center experience. First rep spent nearly 30 minutes going through repetitive and fruitless troubleshooting steps (reboot phone, turn on/off LTE voice, turn on/off airplane mode), forwarded me on to "tech" who asked the exact same questions and tried to sell me a microcell, could not escalate me to a supervisor and the entire thing was a waste of time.

Considering taking it to an Apple store/ATT store but I suspect that would be a waste of time as well.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 24, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do you have another phone you can run a test on (or just one you can borrow)? You might just have really congested towers there. It is the heart of a major city, after all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

I'm getting ridiculously slow AT&T LTE data speeds in Chicago on an iPhone 6. Almost always I'll be under 3Mbps, usually 0.5-1.5 Mbps. This is with Ookla speedtest.net. It's not fast enough to stream Pandora or podcasts, even in the heart of the city right next to cell towers. What gives?

I am NOT on unlimited, but I USED TO have a grandfather unlimited plan before someone got a new phone and changed our plan around. Could the throttle be sticking somehow, even though we now have 10GB shared family?

Called 611 and went through a horrible call center experience. First rep spent nearly 30 minutes going through repetitive and fruitless troubleshooting steps (reboot phone, turn on/off LTE voice, turn on/off airplane mode), forwarded me on to "tech" who asked the exact same questions and tried to sell me a microcell, could not escalate me to a supervisor and the entire thing was a waste of time.

Considering taking it to an Apple store/ATT store but I suspect that would be a waste of time as well.

Its either the network or the phone. The speeds you are reporting see 3G speeds (not LTE or H+), so I would recommend the following:

-stop by an AT&T store, swap SIMs, make sure you are provisioned right.
-download mark the spot immediately and start filing network tickets. They really look at them
-have Apple do a hardware diagnostic, preferably a Genius Bar appointment if you can swing it

It could very well just be that part of the city. When I was in Manhatten coverage and speeds were all over the map, at times I got solid speeds and coverage, other times texting was super delayed and using the Internet was almost impossible. It does happen with big cities unfortunately. Either way, use mark the spot like crazy, I'm a big fan of that app.

Oh, if they offer you a free microcell again, just take it :)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Knifegrab posted:

Not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if AT&T Uverse is good or not? My apartment complex will be changing to it from time warner and I want to know if there are data caps or poor speeds or anything.

No complaints with speed. DVR is nice and actually all in HD.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I still haven't received the OTA Lollipop update for my LG G3 yet but it sounds like that might not be the worst thing in the world?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Duckman2008 posted:

Its either the network or the phone. The speeds you are reporting see 3G speeds (not LTE or H+), so I would recommend the following:

-stop by an AT&T store, swap SIMs, make sure you are provisioned right.
-download mark the spot immediately and start filing network tickets. They really look at them
-have Apple do a hardware diagnostic, preferably a Genius Bar appointment if you can swing it

It could very well just be that part of the city. When I was in Manhatten coverage and speeds were all over the map, at times I got solid speeds and coverage, other times texting was super delayed and using the Internet was almost impossible. It does happen with big cities unfortunately. Either way, use mark the spot like crazy, I'm a big fan of that app.

Oh, if they offer you a free microcell again, just take it :)

Provision should be right. I'm getting these speeds all over the city, 1-5 Mbps everywhere, which is not fast enough to stream music. I am also getting the same result on my dad's iPhone 5 LTE on the same family plan. Super weird, and also tempting me to switch carriers. Verizon is tested as being consistently 15-20+ Mbps in my city. But I think there's something wrong with the way my account is set up in the system, as consumer reports-esque tests in my city do not report speeds this low, it's typically 10-30 Mbps.

I'll start marking spots I guess. Also, he tried to sell me a microcell not give it away haha.

I have a call scheduled with the highest level call center staff they have I think, account manager, tomorrow after work.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 26, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So is it not possible to do a phone upgrade at a store without the rep sneaking one or more services onto your plan (insurance, etc)? Last 3 upgrades that's happened, I'm inclined to just start doing everything via an Apple store.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

So is it not possible to do a phone upgrade at a store without the rep sneaking one or more services onto your plan (insurance, etc)? Last 3 upgrades that's happened, I'm inclined to just start doing everything via an Apple store.

Depends on where you go, but given the pressure around metrics unfortunately crap like that (slamming) happens. AT&T employees are sales driven, so either way you'll usually get pitched on about 5 different things. It sucks because it then gives all stores and employees a bad rap.

Only downside to Apple is they tend to not know the plans, so they sometimes sell someone something more expensive just because they don't know any better.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Depends on where you go, but given the pressure around metrics unfortunately crap like that (slamming) happens. AT&T employees are sales driven, so either way you'll usually get pitched on about 5 different things. It sucks because it then gives all stores and employees a bad rap.

Only downside to Apple is they tend to not know the plans, so they sometimes sell someone something more expensive just because they don't know any better.

Yeah, I never switch plans at a store, everything is on NEXT plans, so these are just trade in, new phone transactions with no plan changes.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Michael Scott posted:

US carriers, AT&T in particular tend to give no shits about network speed. They sell you the fancy new LTE phones who's speeds are under what you can get on 3G with a good network.

I used to get 80-90Mbps on my iPhone 5 on Rogers in the GTA, now get 5-12Mbps on my iPhone 6 on AT&T in DC.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
So, AT&T is sending me a new G3 because mine won't update. Originally (after three calls to tech support) they figured out that they still had the IMEI from my old G2 listed, but even fixing that didn't cause the update to go through so they reasoned that it must be a device issue and are sending me a new one.

I'm not convinced that a new phone is going to fix the issue but I guess we'll see!

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is the certified preowned stuff on ATT's site any good? I'm considering saving $50 on an iphone for my next upgrade

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is the certified preowned stuff on ATT's site any good? I'm considering saving $50 on an iphone for my next upgrade

I wouldn't sacrifice apples One year warranty for $50.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Will AT&T postpaid pro-rate my final bill? For example, if I were to switch carriers on the 10th day of my billing cycle, will I still have to pay for the remaining 20 days?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pissingintowind posted:

Will AT&T postpaid pro-rate my final bill? For example, if I were to switch carriers on the 10th day of my billing cycle, will I still have to pay for the remaining 20 days?

They're usually pretty good about prorating the bill. I don't work with cancelled accounts day to day so I could be wrong.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I am trying to upgrade my phone through the website. I am on Next12... anyway I get to the plan feature selections and select the options which look like the existing ones on my account, but then get hit with this popup that says,

The new service you selected isn't compatible with existing service(s) on your account. Also, this new service isn't as comprehensive as your existing service(s) and may result in higher charges. Please confirm your selection below to continue.

Note: Multi-Device Protection Pack can cover up to three devices. If you remove this feature from your account and select a new feature, you will only have protection for a single device.

Keep my existing feature(s):
Unlimited data for 4G LTE Smartphones w/Visual Voice Mail (on account)

Remove my existing feature(s) and select this new feature:
Data Unlimited for LTE Personal w/Unlimited MSG

It doesn't make sense for 2 reasons, 1. I don't have any device protection that I am aware of. 2. If I select "keep my existing feature(s) for unlimited Data and hit continue it just goes back to the feature select page for me to select things again. Right now I have unlimited msg and unlimited data w/ VVM as two options. Is this feature set just gone and I should select Data Unlimited for LTE personal w/ Unlimited MSG option (it's the same price, just combined together)? When I went beyond this screen, removing what I have and adding the combined one as I mentioned it then shows my calling plan as 450min with no rollover. Right now it's 450 w/ Rollover and Unlimited night/weekend which doesn't seem to be an option anywhere.

Should I just say gently caress the website and go to the At&t store or am I completely missing something here?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

thebushcommander posted:

So I am trying to upgrade my phone through the website. I am on Next12... anyway I get to the plan feature selections and select the options which look like the existing ones on my account, but then get hit with this popup that says,

The new service you selected isn't compatible with existing service(s) on your account. Also, this new service isn't as comprehensive as your existing service(s) and may result in higher charges. Please confirm your selection below to continue.

Note: Multi-Device Protection Pack can cover up to three devices. If you remove this feature from your account and select a new feature, you will only have protection for a single device.

Keep my existing feature(s):
Unlimited data for 4G LTE Smartphones w/Visual Voice Mail (on account)

Remove my existing feature(s) and select this new feature:
Data Unlimited for LTE Personal w/Unlimited MSG

It doesn't make sense for 2 reasons, 1. I don't have any device protection that I am aware of. 2. If I select "keep my existing feature(s) for unlimited Data and hit continue it just goes back to the feature select page for me to select things again. Right now I have unlimited msg and unlimited data w/ VVM as two options. Is this feature set just gone and I should select Data Unlimited for LTE personal w/ Unlimited MSG option (it's the same price, just combined together)? When I went beyond this screen, removing what I have and adding the combined one as I mentioned it then shows my calling plan as 450min with no rollover. Right now it's 450 w/ Rollover and Unlimited night/weekend which doesn't seem to be an option anywhere.

Should I just say gently caress the website and go to the At&t store or am I completely missing something here?

If you don't mind calling me, I can just do the order for you.

Otherwise yeah, just go into a store.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is there any way to do a Next upgrade that lets me also use the current $140 off promotion for the Moto X Motorola is running on the Motomaker website right now?

I seem to remember some talks about how Next would only sometimes work with the Moto X, and you'd get a code to input on the website and it didn't always work, or the stores would be "out of stock " of the codes (how are you out of stock of something virtual?) And you might not get all the customization options?

I'll likely get the Moto X either way, but paying for it interest free over a year and a half is better than one lump payment.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there any way to do a Next upgrade that lets me also use the current $140 off promotion for the Moto X Motorola is running on the Motomaker website right now?

I seem to remember some talks about how Next would only sometimes work with the Moto X, and you'd get a code to input on the website and it didn't always work, or the stores would be "out of stock " of the codes (how are you out of stock of something virtual?) And you might not get all the customization options?

I'll likely get the Moto X either way, but paying for it interest free over a year and a half is better than one lump payment.

Doubt it; the $140 off applies only to the off-contract price. You should get the Pure Edition, anyway.

motorola.com posted:

‡Save $140 off an off-contract Moto X, regularly starting at $499.99. Moto X upgrades are available at an extra cost as stated in Moto Maker. All discounts reflected in cart.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
What are the key differences between the Pure Edition and regular Moto X? I thought that Moto's implementation of Android was pretty bare-bones as it is, pretty much just Vanilla with better voice activation and the active display stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

What are the key differences between the Pure Edition and regular Moto X? I thought that Moto's implementation of Android was pretty bare-bones as it is, pretty much just Vanilla with better voice activation and the active display stuff?

If you get the AT&T version you'll get AT&T's bloatwarevalue-added apps with an AT&T logo on the case and it will be carrier locked to AT&T.

If you get the Pure Edition you'll get no carrier bloatware, no carrier logo, and it will be carrier unlocked out of the box (it comes with a t-mobile sim though).

All versions have the voice activation and active display stuff, though.