Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The fact that Yuya has a fireman pole in his house single-handidly makes Arc-V better than ZEXAL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Xoidanor posted:

WCS or nothing fool :getout:

Seriously though, I too await my heat-death. I had some fair success with Astral Force Burning Abyss (pleiades is as broken as ever) this spring so it isn't impossible. The RUM part of raptors is fine for now but it's still way to gimmicky to be competitive. It just feels so disappointing however, RUM was the coolest thing to come out of Zexal and yet its primary legacy will forever be rank-4 spam.

Astral Force Burning Abyss was like, the only way to play the deck when all it had was it's first wave of support. Those were fun times.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
What's a good place to get information on card or deck lists for someone who wanted to try out Devpro?

Also, any kind of beginner information about the current metagame would be helpful, as I haven't played in years.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

What's a good place to get information on card or deck lists for someone who wanted to try out Devpro?

Also, any kind of beginner information about the current metagame would be helpful, as I haven't played in years.

Youtube, yugiohwikia and the pojo yugioh forum basically. I would link something specific but I'm on the phone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bear in mind that the Yugioh Wiki is mostly written by actual 12 year olds so the card tips have a 50/50 chance of being helpful. For instance, any card that lowers your own LP will have Megamorph recommended in the tips.

E: On the other hand if you want a list of all things a card works with/can search, it's very useful for that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Agent Rush posted:

The first thing I think you should do is read up on Synchro, XYZ and Pendulum Summoning, to get an idea of how the new summoning methods work.

Maybe try out an archetype that relies on one of them to get a feel for it.
Some fun Synchro archetype include Fabled, Karakuri and X-Saber.
Some fun Xyz archetypes include Mecha Phantom Beast, Heroic and Chronomaly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

E: On the other hand if you want a list of all things a card works with/can search, it's very useful for that.

This cannot be overstated enough, it's your best friend in the universe when you're trying to build a deck around odd but interesting cards you've never seen used before.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012
After being pestered to death by one of my YGO buddies, I caught up with Arc-V too. I've seen all of DM, most of GX, all of 5D's (yes even past the first two arcs), and like ten episodes of Zexal before giving up and being scared of off the franchise for a while and why I was wary to give Arc-V a shot since it seemed like Zexal 2.0 at first (and also being burnt from the second half of 5D's). I gotta say, it's pretty decent, though it hasn't surpassed early 5D's yet for me (but I am fairly biased since 5D's is my favorite).

I'm going to be kind of disappointed if they don't have at least one proper Riding Duel in the series though, after bringing back the bikes (I know most of the cast isn't of driving age yet but eh).

Also Sawatari is giving me big Misawa vibes in that he's going to be unceremoniously dumped off halfway through the show because they ran out of things to do with him. I'd love to be proven wrong though especially since the show is rather good so far about giving most everyone ample screentime and duels.

Annnd Reji really needs to do more. He's dueled like what, twice? And spent 80% of his screentime in his office and yet he's hyped up as Yuya's biggest rival/competition at the moment.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've been trying to keep track of which Number Card is my favorite and I finally found the definite answer. Before I was kinda intrigued by the design of Gimmick Puppet Giant Grinder (Giant Killer being the Japanese makes a lot of sense) but as cool as the design was, it has nothing on how broken my real favorite is.

It's Chaos Number 88, Gimmick Puppet Disaster Leo.

Special Ability 1: Use a single Overlay Unit to directly deal 4000 Damage.

Special Ability 2: Once out of Overlay Units, Quattro automatically wins.

That whole duel was really good. I got 14 more episodes to go in ZEXAL and things are quite interesting at the moment.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Holy poo poo.

I just realized everything in Yu-Gi-Oh! makes sense if you assume every character can't read and is colorblind.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

AnacondaHL posted:

Holy poo poo.

I just realized everything in Yu-Gi-Oh! makes sense if you assume every character can't read and is colorblind.

explain

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

They way they can string along a plot where a mystery not-Yuya with clearly different hair attacks and everyone thinks it's Yuya: colorblind

The way everyone is surprised when cards are played from the graveyard: can't read

The reason why everyone has stupid as gently caress hair and clothing: colorblind

The reason why no one knows the rules of the game: can't read

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Even the overarching plots:

Ancient Egyptian magic gets out of control: can't read

Weird space alien waifu and darkness attack: colorblind

Messed up experiment blowing up the city 2 times and ending humanity: can't read

Aforementioned inability to differentiate between red/green haired Yuya and dark blue surly Yuya: colorblind

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Yuuya getting confused for Yuuto is dumb as hell, but I think it's fair to say you'd be able to recognize somebody by their face regardless of weird-rear end hair. But it's anime, so

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Speaking of Arc-V, someone posted the dub opening they showed at Toy Fair this year. poo poo sound quality, but there's still video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TaiPE0css

Seems like it's set to air pretty soon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

This episode was nonsense even by Yugioh standards.

GX is pretty good so far, Jaden is a good main character. The way he gets pretty much all of the duels (and uses the exact same cards) is kind of annoying though. I hear Alexis never gets to do anything, in particular, and that's really sad.

edit: seriously he starts every single duel by summing Elemental Hero Avian. I hope he gets some new guys soon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He pretty much sticks with the same Elemental Heroes for the first...I dunno, half of Season 1 or so. I think after that he starts using new ones. He doesn't get any new cards, he just starts using other ones more.

He doesn't get new cards until a little way into Season 2. I can't remember the exact episode but 60-something or 70-something.

So, almost done with ZEXAL II.
Also i forgot to ask, was the "Point System" Vector talked about during his duel with Dumon and Rio in the original? You know how he basically explained his reasoning for betraying Nasch as "every time he did something that annoyed me, he got one point. I decided I'd betray him after a million points. Who'd have thought he would have 2 million points by the next day?"

Even if that isn't in the original, I love it. Vector is a true rival to Yami Marik in just how frickin' nuts he is.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's in the original. When you got gold like that it's best to keep it, though i think in the original it wasn't next day, he just said Shark got to two million pretty fast iirc. That tiny change improves that bit even more, so good on the dub

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have finished ZEXAL.

I must admit, I've always liked Shark. He started off as the Joey of the show and he had a good voice and good motivation. The twist about who he is just sealed the deal on him being my favorite character. His duel with Vector is also probably my favorite duel in the show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dogsicle posted:

Yuuya getting confused for Yuuto is dumb as hell, but I think it's fair to say you'd be able to recognize somebody by their face regardless of weird-rear end hair. But it's anime, so

Weren't Yuzu and Sawatari the only people who actually saw Yuuto as Yuya? Yuzu didn't really believe they were the same person but had enough doubts with the whole disappearing/reappearing act to be confused. (He's a performer, and costumes are kind of a thing.) And Sawatari is just a self-absorbed goof who'll latch onto anything to shunt his inadequacies onto others. Everyone else (read: the LDS team) was just working off the assumption that Sawatari was telling the truth.

Really, I don't think that was handled that oddly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The name of the next weeks episode is certainly a mouthful, The Rebellious Supreme King Black Dragon. I expect amazing things. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Xoidanor posted:

The name of the next weeks episode is certainly a mouthful, The Rebellious Supreme King Black Dragon. I expect amazing things. :allears:

Wait, how can you be a King while you're also Rebellious??

So this week basically confirms that Yuto is inside Yuya, pharaoh-ing it up a notch.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlternateNu posted:

Weren't Yuzu and Sawatari the only people who actually saw Yuuto as Yuya? Yuzu didn't really believe they were the same person but had enough doubts with the whole disappearing/reappearing act to be confused. (He's a performer, and costumes are kind of a thing.) And Sawatari is just a self-absorbed goof who'll latch onto anything to shunt his inadequacies onto others. Everyone else (read: the LDS team) was just working off the assumption that Sawatari was telling the truth.

Reiji's henchman also thought that Yuto was Yuya, until Shun corrected him. I think the only people that saw both Yuto and Yuya and knew they were different people were Sora and Shun. And both of them were entirely unable to discern Yuzu from her own dimensional counterparts, Serena and Ruri respectively.

Hell, even Yuya pointed out how Yuto and Yugo looked identical to him, though oddly enough neither of them pointed out the same.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Several conclusions I've made from this episode.

1. Yuto was a pretty scary guy before he went all "I don't want to hurt anybody anymore." He's probably personally taken out a LOT of Fusion dudes.
2. Obelisk Force is literally just this side of actual cheating with that "oh it's only the second turn but I can attack" poo poo.
3. Dennis is almost definitely Yuri.
4. Serena's a tool.
5. Sora's gonna get OTK'd. Shun straight up told him to pick up an Action Card but he didn't and now he's gonna get destroyed by three 100 ATK monsters. :laffo:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arc-V is pretty good guys.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hmmm.

Now the question is, did she make that herself or is LeoCorp already shilling Yuya merchandise.

If it's the latter, I think there's a lot of Neo New Sawatari pillows gathering dust somewhere.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

VJeff posted:

Several conclusions I've made from this episode.

1. Yuto was a pretty scary guy before he went all "I don't want to hurt anybody anymore." He's probably personally taken out a LOT of Fusion dudes.
2. Obelisk Force is literally just this side of actual cheating with that "oh it's only the second turn but I can attack" poo poo.
3. Dennis is almost definitely Yuri.
4. Serena's a tool.
5. Sora's gonna get OTK'd. Shun straight up told him to pick up an Action Card but he didn't and now he's gonna get destroyed by three 100 ATK monsters. :laffo:

Counter arguments
1. Yuuto's got some major PTSD issues. And from the timeline, Academia only invaded Heartland something like 2 years ago.
2. Obelisk Force are also even more peon-like than I thought. You're gonna summon 1000 atk monsters and do literally nothing else over the course of 5 turns?
3. I'm not so sure. Just because Dennis pulled a Fusion card out doesn't mean much. He's been with LDS for at least long enough to qualify for the tournament. And Reiji didn't really react when he popped up to save Yuya. Though, you can always hand wave that away with "Reiji didn't care" and Yuri probed Sora's mind to find Yuya's buttons. I don't like that explanation, though. :\ If it is true, I'd like to see if the Entermages have an insanity variant like the Death's Toys. Yuri has a great insanity glare, and I wouldn't want that to be masked by Dennis' random goofiness.
4. Agreed.
5. Sora has a trap set. He'll survive the first turn. The question is whether he'll actually turn the tables after Kurosaki shat out 5 creatures on the field and still has 3 cards in hand. Besides, Sora summoned a new Edge-Imp monster. We gotta see what it fuses into. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

VJeff posted:

Hmmm.

Now the question is, did she make that herself or is LeoCorp already shilling Yuya merchandise.

If it's the latter, I think there's a lot of Neo New Sawatari pillows gathering dust somewhere.

I don't think anyone remembers the names Sawatari makes up on the spot other than him and his posse. Plus he kind of has a reputation as a dork within his own school if the LDS kids are anything to go by. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't worry, he'll be the ace of the Pendulum Course and then get folded into the jobber squad with the other three LDS students. This episode was alright, I'm really curious as to what the gently caress Dennis' deal is and when Reiji added "Ninja acrobatics" into the curriculum. Also, I want Olga and Halil to win against Michio because I love them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

Don't worry, he'll be the ace of the Pendulum Course and then get folded into the jobber squad with the other three LDS students. This episode was alright, I'm really curious as to what the gently caress Dennis' deal is and when Reiji added "Ninja acrobatics" into the curriculum. Also, I want Olga and Halil to win against Michio because I love them.

I want Halil and Olga to win so we see more of Halil. La Jinn is awesome and I want it to get more elemental fusions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's hard not to like a character who learns "Friendship is what wins duels" and then proceeds to follow around his impromptu teammate saying they are friends when they barely know each other.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty glad they gave the Arab kid the La Jinn deck

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

VJeff posted:

I'll disagree on this point. If Sora was going to get OTK'd, they would've ended that fight up this episode. That we got a cliffhanger definitely means that he'll survive this. Plus this is Sora, if he really was going to lose here, he would be having a mental breakdown and showing absolute insanity, instead he keeps being calm and smug. He has something up his sleeve.

About the rest of this episode...every episode I trust Dennis less and less. He was clearly hiding something from Serena besides his Xyz summoning considering his reaction when Serena summoned Moonlight Cat Dancer. That's too smug of a reaction, plus the "just as I thought". He likely knows about the Dimensions. Plus he has Fusion in his deck despite being in the Xyz course. I'm going to guess that he's a spy sent by Reiji's dad, and he infiltrated LDS and learned about Entertainment Dueling for his mission, whatever that is.
Apart from that the Obelisk Force are surprisingly lame despite being the elite army of the Fusion Dimension. Seriously, you're the elites from the Fusion Dimension, why aren't you Fusion Summoning? I mean, their strategy is effective when they're basically cheating like this, but there's no way this won't backfire horrendously. Also, Dark Yuya scares the crap out of me. He seems to be channeling all of Yuto's (righteous) rage and he keeps pulling sadistic smiles that are definitely best suited for villains like Marik, Vector and Sora. He feels like the second coming of early manga Dark Yugi. Which is awesome, because I love the sadistic bastard.

About the next episode, which definitely looks like it'll be great. Remember when I had no idea how they'd Xyz Summon using Odd-Eyes and Dark Rebellion? I guess they're doing it anyways! There's no doubt that the Pendulum Effects of the Magicians that Yuya's Pendulum just created will allow it somehow, and that will be awesome. Can't wait to see the Rebellious King.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He's gonna use Magician of Destruction and Magician of Creation. Destruction's Pendulum effect turns an Xyz monster's rank into a level. Creation's makes one monster's level the same as another, so he'll Pendulum Summon OEPD and then make DRXD level 7 to overlay them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

About the next episode, which definitely looks like it'll be great. Remember when I had no idea how they'd Xyz Summon using Odd-Eyes and Dark Rebellion? I guess they're doing it anyways! There's no doubt that the Pendulum Effects of the Magicians that Yuya's Pendulum just created will allow it somehow, and that will be awesome. Can't wait to see the Rebellious King.

That's exactly what's going to happen. The effects of the Magicians are up on the wikia. One of them gives a Xyz monster a Level that's equal to it's Rank, and the other changes a monster's level to that of another monster on the field.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Really, I don't think that was handled that oddly.

I meant my post to be more about the "They don't look alike!" complaint people bring up. I mean you'd probably recognize a friend in different clothes/hairstyle, anime just isn't detailed enough to convey that at-a-glance. When it came to the handling of the dopplegangers themselves, it wasn't bad aside from becoming redundant really fast (and it will probably still show up).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
It was also the entirety of what Yuzu had to contribute to the show, and it made her look really stupid.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was A Good Episode.

So much poo poo is happening right now. We've got Yami Yuya wrecking fools and probably going to get confronted by Gongenzaka after he murders these jobbers. Yuzu meeting her first Alternate self who at this point is reminding me of a slightly more sane Sora, "XYZ Scum" and all that. Sora probably getting annihilated by owls but not before he and Shun show some more Fluffal's and Raid Raptors respectively. And Dennis probably continuing to prove himself to be the most suspicious person in the universe, I hope his untrustworthiness just keeps escalating and never stops because it's getting pretty great. :allears:

I'm pretty interested in whatever the hell Dennis is up to. Dude doesn't just seem to know fusion but he's also clearly familiar with Serena as well since he seemed to know exactly what she was going to fuse, which is apparently not common knowledge even amongst Academia since Sora didn't recognise her. I doubt he's Yuri though because Yuya's first duel against one of his counterparts is going to be a big loving deal and if they're going to do it this tournament it'll have to be in the finals but Shun's probably got the role of final enemy this arc. Maybe Dennis is a defector from Academia or a spy or something?

Also, i'm really curious about what's going on with Yuya. Considering the symbolism of Yuya and Yuto as pendulum scales I doubt Yami Yuya is just a really angry Yuto and it doesn't just seem like a fusion of the two or anything. I'm surprised this transformation doesn't seem to have any obvious connections with their dragons after what happened to Yuto and Yugo but maybe after he summons Rebellious Supreme King Black Dragon he'll go even crazier or something.

I'm having a lot of fun with Arc V. Hopefully it can keep this up (and bring back the LDS trio and Sawatari soon).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

As someone who was super into Yu-Gi-Oh and the card game back in the day (like the only rules I'm really familiar with are GX ones :v:), I'd like to get a better understanding of what exactly is happening. Are there any games out? I still play Tag Force from time to time whenever the itch to play arises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

As someone who was super into Yu-Gi-Oh and the card game back in the day (like the only rules I'm really familiar with are GX ones :v:), I'd like to get a better understanding of what exactly is happening. Are there any games out? I still play Tag Force from time to time whenever the itch to play arises

There's been a few. :v:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Official_Yu-Gi-Oh!-related_games