Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Eltoasto posted:

Allowing PED's would then basically require all players to use them, and I'm not really comfortable with teams setting up steroid regimens for their players.

I'd much prefer them getting them through team physicians with training and malpractice insurance than from the unmarked Florida origin boxes they all get them from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Metapod posted:

you are mistaken. lebron is a super human like batman not a robot like westbrook and timmy

True. Terminators don't lose their hair.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

EvanTH posted:

I'd much prefer them getting them through team physicians with training and malpractice insurance than from the unmarked Florida origin boxes they all get them from now

This thread is weird. How do you guys simultaneously want your NBA players 18 and roided up?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Miami, Brooklyn, Indiana, Charlotte, Boston, and Detroit are fighting for the last two playoff spots.

Other teams, please do whatever you can to keep Indiana and Charlotte out. Brooklyn, too, to a lesser extent

edit: Also, steroids are fine under supervised use and it's incredibly silly and childish that they're not allowed in the first place

BIZORT fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 2, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
This is from the other night but the NBA packaged it with a lot of good angles. I love Zach LaVine. I want him to dunk every day. I love the torque he gets on this dunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XEY08obZCo

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Kobe Bryan'ts Muse is awesome and it runs circles around that bad Spike Lee... movie? shot around him. I'm not sure that Spike was given a whole lot to work with but it's still not a very good effort at all, regardless

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

ChickenMedium posted:

I get that he's not handsome or anything, but he's a pretty normal looking dude. In a league that gave us Scottie Pippen, Gheorghe Muresan, Sam Cassell and Jo Noah, Westbrook barely moves the needle of ugliness.

Bulls well represented on this prestigious team.

Future MVP Tony Snell is also a handsome man.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I watched Bigger Stronger Faster (good film) and pretty much my only takeaway was that it's a confusing moral issue and I'm glad I'm not in charge of figuring it out.

In other news, 76ers waive JaVale McGee. We've already got Smith, Dorsey, Dwight. Go for it Morey, complete the collection.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
What's McGee's thinking here aside from "get paid"?

I don't think any playoff team is thinking "You know what piece would put us over the top? JaVale McGee."

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

roundmidnight posted:

What's McGee's thinking here

Not much, I bet

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Bashez posted:

This thread is weird. How do you guys simultaneously want your NBA players 18 and roided up?

Very carefully! ha ha

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Well done, CNNSI!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

chunkles posted:

I watched Bigger Stronger Faster (good film) and pretty much my only takeaway was that it's a confusing moral issue and I'm glad I'm not in charge of figuring it out.

Regularizing hormones across players -- along with standardized training in the form of AAU ball -- decreases natural variation (obviously) and helps to solve the problem of interchangeability among personnel. The analytics revolution is really the dawn of scientific management in sports and requires the proletarianization of players so they can be more efficiently deployed by capital. Roiding up isn't a moral issue, it's an historical necessity.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Injecting children with drugs is one thing but making them play AAU is really hosed up.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Someone please sign JaVale, I cant live without the laughter he brings to my life.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Regularizing hormones across players -- along with standardized training in the form of AAU ball -- decreases natural variation (obviously) and helps to solve the problem of interchangeability among personnel. The analytics revolution is really the dawn of scientific management in sports and requires the proletarianization of players so they can be more efficiently deployed by capital. Roiding up isn't a moral issue, it's an historical necessity.

On a completely separate note I would like to give you props for recognizing the best named South African politician alive

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The problem with acceptance of professionals using performance enhancing drugs is it just pushes down the level at which using them becomes required to stand-out, and the lower you go the younger the players and the less money they have to avoid garbage. So if you say NBA players are allowed, you say broke college kids probably need to and high schoolers should. And there is no such thing as a safe, competition-fueled steroid regime for a 15 year old.

Test at the professional level, come down hard on anyone caught, and limit the influence at the sport at all levels.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Igor Strelkov posted:

A man does not stop at the end of his skin. Some men have a basketbal intelligence is projected from horizon to horizon. Andre Miller's reaches over 7 feet above the ground. What a man. What a mighty good man.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I think it's reasonable to expect our athletes to play without using controlled substances. The debate then becomes should these sort of things be controlled and why, which I won't pretend to have any general solutions for.

At the same time though it's naïve to deny that a substantial chunk ("most"?) of NBA players are using and benefiting from them.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

EvanTH posted:

The thing is, even if you create a controlled regimen administered by MDs, the guys who want an extra competitive edge would still go to the Florida quacks to get something above and beyond what's allowed. It doesn't matter how much you allow because it never takes away your original motivation to break the rules in the first place, which was to gain an extra edge over the competition.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Papercut posted:

The thing is, even if you create a controlled regimen administered by MDs, the guys who want an extra competitive edge would still go to the Florida quacks to get something above and beyond what's allowed. It doesn't matter how much you allow because it never takes away your original motivation to break the rules in the first place, which was to gain an extra edge over the competition.

It's not an extra edge though! Why should Lebron get to be better at basketball than Jimmer Fredette just because Lebron was born with an overambitious endocrine system? PEDs level the playing field. Now we can reward players who work hard, instead of the ones who were born into their talent.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

The problem with acceptance of professionals using performance enhancing drugs is it just pushes down the level at which using them becomes required to stand-out, and the lower you go the younger the players and the less money they have to avoid garbage. So if you say NBA players are allowed, you say broke college kids probably need to and high schoolers should. And there is no such thing as a safe, competition-fueled steroid regime for a 15 year old.

Test at the professional level, come down hard on anyone caught, and limit the influence at the sport at all levels.

Papercut posted:

This is pretty much where I stand on the issue of PEDs in sports. Allowing it will cause repercussions for which the sports leagues won't be able to successfully address.

Now, if there is a PED that is safe and cheap for athletes of all ages, my opinion changes. We are no-where near that point, however.

e: One other thing to keep in mind is that different people respond to PED's with differing efficacy. So, there are people who are better "natural" athletes but will be a step behind because their bodies don't improve as much with PED's as others.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

roundmidnight posted:

I don't think any playoff team is thinking "You know what piece would put us over the top? JaVale McGee."

Seeing as the Cavs just added Kendrick "Literally bad at everything" Perkins, Javale will find a home somewhere.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

roundmidnight posted:

It's sweet you think there's more thinking to it.

But yea it seems like his entire plan is 'there are a few desperate teams, I could probably get in on that action'.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kibner posted:

This is pretty much where I stand on the issue of PEDs in sports. Allowing it will cause repercussions for which the sports leagues won't be able to successfully address.

Now, if there is a PED that is safe and cheap for athletes of all ages, my opinion changes. We are no-where near that point, however.

e: One other thing to keep in mind is that different people respond to PED's with differing efficacy. So, there are people who are better "natural" athletes but will be a step behind because their bodies don't improve as much with PED's as others.

Cortisone is a well accepted PED as are painkillers.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
Yeah Javale is a warm, athletic body at a position that is terrible shallow.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think it's kinda cruel that athletes aren't allowed to rub purified horse semen on their knees when recovering from ACL tears. Let 'em juice during the rehab at least.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Pop finally sells out and agrees to let the cameras in to film a modern "Odd Couple" style reality show with new backup center, Javale McGee.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rick posted:

Pop finally sells out and agrees to let the cameras in to film a modern "Odd Couple" style reality show with new backup center, Javale McGee.

I'm always in favor of personnel moves that could lead to someone being choked out.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

Seeing as the Cavs just added Kendrick "Literally bad at everything" Perkins, Javale will find a home somewhere.

Every time someone talks poo poo on Perkins, his mouth gets tinier and angrier. Eventually he will no longer be able to speak, after he has gotten lovely enough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The future? Dystopic. WNBA is the top sport in the world. Yet one team struggles both to compete and to achieve relevance . . . until they hire a boisterous coach and her mysterious daughter. Javale McGee is Juwanna Mann 2016.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Shame the brother in Bigger, Stronger, Faster died from doing whippits.

Anyway where can I find shot charts from individual games, and does anyone post them right after the game?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

hitze posted:

That loss really shook up LeBron

I see LeBrons improved hairline for that movie is something more permanent than I had envisioned.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Michael Jordan just made the billionaire list and is only the second athlete to ever do so. Poorly managing an NBA franchise is a very valuable skill and he has been rewarded as such

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Time posted:

Michael Jordan just made the billionaire list and is only the second athlete to ever do so. Poorly managing an NBA franchise is a very valuable skill and he has been rewarded as such

He also gets a couple of dollars from the whole Shoe thing.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

kiimo posted:

I see LeBrons improved hairline for that movie is something more permanent than I had envisioned.

It's not. When he's on the court his hairline is as bad as it always is. When he's not playing basketball he gets it right. Don't know how he does it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Strawberry Panda posted:

Shame the brother in Bigger, Stronger, Faster died from doing whippits.

Anyway where can I find shot charts from individual games, and does anyone post them right after the game?

ESPN has them updating live during games, but the NBA.com interface can break them out into zones and looks a bit prettier.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dexo posted:

He also gets a couple of dollars from the whole Shoe thing.

90% of that money was re-invested into the bobcats purchase. He was dangerously over-leveraged at the time of purchase but with the looming TV deal has made a killing and his expected rate of return on that investment is insane.

edit: The players will definitely use this in upcoming CBA negotiations because it mostly destroys the arguments ownership had during the last lockout. It may not matter though because the likelihood of the union being able to weather the storm financially is incredibly unlikely. I just don't see most players being willing to 6 months without a paycheck even if they are being warned now to plan for it.

Time fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 2, 2015

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Strawberry Panda posted:

BBR has shot charts so they're generally the best site to use because it's the best site, but they have a delay of a day or two getting a full (+advanced stats, shot charts) sets of box score info up.

ESPN site usually has the shot charts immediately but they're not as informative overall (displayed a lil poorly and maybe I'm making it up but to me they seem a lil looser and inaccurate in terms of specific position)

NBA's site is slow and annoying for me to use but after a day or so they have those full video of every play and the SportVU stuff which is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Strawberry Panda posted:

It's not. When he's on the court his hairline is as bad as it always is. When he's not playing basketball he gets it right. Don't know how he does it.

Shoe polish

• Locked thread