Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~
That first dog gave almost no good examples of why it's bad. Just somene will know you had a sandwich in newtown or advertisers will know you like sandwiches.

The examples that were posted here were better about somone finding addresses and domestic abuse husbands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Birb Katter posted:

I would have 15 min ago but for obvious reasons won't now.

parade offends me hello. why is it not bird parade? when you are not focus only on bird matters you are antibird

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Zetsubou-san posted:

That bastion of :wrods:, The Grauniad

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

At least they post it at a readable size? Being able to read it does make it easier to see how painfully unfunny it is, though.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

FDOTM says how people on the Internet have short attention spans, proceeds to post ~6000 word essay and some pictures.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Speaking of Abbott and his potential misunderstanding of the Indonesian President, hasn't Abbott done that before? I'm still waking up but I'm getting weird deja vu - something about a politician being super incompetent and not understanding the finer parts of diplospeak where there is a common tongue of pleasant ambiguities that disguise the veiled threats or refusals beneath, and then an overeager and inexperienced politician takes the words at face value and pulls an excited press conference to announce that the US is sympathetic to our cause and will do whatever they can to help!!! Which then triggers a massive facepalm and later retraction. I swear it was a LNP member but I could also be conflating it with a movie or something

E: maybe I'm confusing it with that famous "5pm friday there were no Aussie contractors for subs and 9am Monday there were!!" phone call but that wasn't misunderstanding diplospeak so much as Abbott carefully lying to the guy using language that doesn't commit him legally to the conveyed promise

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 2, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Speaking of Abbott and his potential misunderstanding of the Indonesian President, hasn't Abbott done that before? I'm still waking up but I'm getting weird deja vu - something about a politician being super incompetent and not understanding the finer parts of diplospeak where there is a common tongue of pleasant ambiguities that disguise the veiled threats or refusals beneath, and then an overeager and inexperienced politician takes the words at face value and pulls an excited press conference to announce that the US is sympathetic to our cause and will do whatever they can to help!!! Which then triggers a massive facepalm and later retraction. I swear it was a LNP member but I could also be conflating it with a movie or something

I think he overstated Bishops support for him during spill 1.0

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Not quite - FDOTM does not have the required number of spelling errors for the Grauniad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm pretty sure he announced Indonesia's cooperation in towing back refugee boats or something, only for the Indonesian government to say "lol no" and leak the transcript of the meeting where they told Bishop that they weren't gonna tow, buy or sink any boats and that Abbott was wasting his time.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I'm pretty sure he announced Indonesia's cooperation in towing back refugee boats or something, only for the Indonesian government to say "lol no" and leak the transcript of the meeting where they told Bishop that they weren't gonna tow, buy or sink any boats and that Abbott was wasting his time.

Oh yeah, I think that's it. Isn't it wonderful when you misremember a PM's fuckups as pure incompetence and then it turns out they were just lying... Incompetently

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Oh yeah, I think that's it. Isn't it wonderful when you misremember a PM's fuckups as pure incompetence and then it turns out they were just lying... Incompetently

Have another.

quote:

Australia is in the midst of an “unprecedented level of industrial action” within the public service, as workers refuse to accept pay offers put forward by the government, according to a trade union.

The departments of defence, employment, agriculture, human services and veterans’ affairs, as well as the CSIRO and tax office, have all moved to take industrial action over pay and conditions.

The Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) said industrial action is now on the cards for agencies that represent half of the commonwealth’s nearly 160,000 public service workers.

“In over 20 years of enterprise bargaining, it is unheard of that not a single agency can make an offer that staff can accept,” the CPSU national secretary Nadine Flood told Guardian Australia. “It’s an unprecedented level of industrial action.”

Flood said public servants have been asked to trade away working conditions for a pay rise of 1% or less.

Employment minister Eric Abetz has rejected that.

“The CPSU consistently misrepresents and exaggerates matters to do with wage bargaining,” Abetz told Guardian Australia.

He said protected action to date has not been widespread.

“Most public servants appreciate the need to work with the government under the current budget conditions and would prefer a minimal wage rise with job security, rather than engage in the CPSU’s outlandish pay claims and its industrial actions,” he said.

“The CPSU should stop standing between public servants and wage outcomes which are affordable. The sooner the CPSU adopts a reasonable approach to bargaining, the sooner public servants will benefit from affordable deals which don’t endanger their own jobs.”

Shadow employment minister Brendan O’Connor said the offers made to public servants is not good enough.

“The Abbott government has shown its contempt for the public service by offering employees from several departments an unreasonable cut to their hard-won conditions on top of a pay cut in real terms,” he told Guardian Australia.

“The government cannot expect the Australian Public Service to function effectively when large numbers of staff are being sacked and those left behind are forced to fight for the most basic workplace entitlements.”

Flood said she “struggles to identify” a time when an employment minister has been so reluctant to negotiate.

The last time they had a face-to-face meeting was January 2014.

“Senator Abetz refuses to meet the CPSU and discuss bargaining. That is very unusual,” Flood said. “I think it’s bizarre. It’s bizarre to have a minister who won’t even discuss the problem.

“We are happy at any point to sit down and have a sensible discussion,” she said.

A spokeswoman for Abetz said the CPSU had been misguided in repeatedly writing to the minister as the bargaining agent for most of the various agencies and departments.

“The minister has said he will not discuss bargaining as he is not the agent. The minister is agreeable to discuss other matters,” she said.

Industrial action in the public service 'at an unprecedented level', says union

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, the Government basically didn't bother starting to negotiate with the CPSU until after the previous contracts ran out; at no stage has it been in good faith.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I can see why he wouldn't bother meeting the union representatives after Jan 2014, he needs to wait for mandatory data retention to pass and be implemented, then his buddies at the AFP et al. can do a bit of snooping and scrape together some blackmail material. No point wasting time on 'negotiations' when you're in the game to destroy unions utterly

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I can see why he wouldn't bother meeting the union representatives after Jan 2014, he needs to wait for mandatory data retention to pass and be implemented, then his buddies at the AFP et al. can do a bit of snooping and scrape together some blackmail material. No point wasting time on 'negotiations' when you're in the game to destroy unions utterly

quote:

tax office, have all moved to take industrial action over pay and conditions.
Over reach is when you get the ATO to contemplate industrial action. ASIO and the AFP may be the King and Ace of Spades but the ATO is the whole loving suit of diamonds. A week long strike at the ATO amounts to ~ 1/100th of the annual revenue not collected. Yes it might get collected later but that page on the balance sheet will remain blank forever.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mad Katter posted:

So excited for the goon meet tomorrow, I've given my favourite dragon shirt its yearly wash.

A rookie mistake. How do you expect any of the plethora of curvy goonettes who will no doubt be in attendance to swoon over your manly musk if you don't let it accumulate?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I don't know how super worried they'd be about treading on ATO's toes given their overall approach to government so far. So long as they keep the businesses happy, the reality of the economy and the budget doesn't seem to matter to them. They haven't gotten rid of Hockey and they're not backing down where ideology conflicts with economic management - they're still just looking for a different way to sell the same old poo poo. Howard gutted Australia like a squealing pig and we'd put him on the $100 note if we could.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Breetai posted:

A rookie mistake. How do you expect any of the plethora of curvy goonettes who will no doubt be in attendance to swoon over your manly musk if you don't let it accumulate?

WTB dinner for 1 curvy g(.)(.)n3tte meet me at org gates

e: Please consider me spiritually in attendance at the adelaide goonmeet. Every half an hour everybody trail off into an awkward silence as though a fat guy wearing a breaking bad t-shirt and smelling of slightly spoiled milk had made some weird joke that nobody understands and then giggled at it for far longer than any normal person would

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 2, 2015

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Ten Becquerels posted:

At least they post it at a readable size? Being able to read it does make it easier to see how painfully unfunny it is, though.

please everyone who ever considers posting a first dog stop and think "does this contribute meaningfully to discussion? is this comic really relevant to current events? is it funny?"

if you answered yes to all three questions, don't post it anyway because you're wrong idiot

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Seagull posted:

please everyone who ever considers posting a first dog stop and think "does this contribute meaningfully to discussion? is this comic really relevant to current events? is it funny?"

if you answered yes to all three questions, don't post it anyway because you're wrong idiot

Please refrain from signing your posts.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
i will never stop hypocritically shitposting

first dog is still extremely bad

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

First dog is one of those funny things where people used to post it heaps and unironically like it because it was hugely dense and it made them feel clever for reading it, and then it gained popularity and the mainstream political enthusiasts got a hold of it so now it's apparently long-winded and inept when in reality it was always terrible, much like my posting

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I don't know how super worried they'd be about treading on ATO's toes given their overall approach to government so far. So long as they keep the businesses happy, the reality of the economy and the budget doesn't seem to matter to them. They haven't gotten rid of Hockey and they're not backing down where ideology conflicts with economic management - they're still just looking for a different way to sell the same old poo poo. Howard gutted Australia like a squealing pig and we'd put him on the $100 note if we could.
Agreed, but the sheer volume of sqwark coming from the Treasury building would be hard to ignore and it would get the attention of all sorts of inconvenient outsiders like the reserve bank board.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

WTB dinner for 1 curvy g(.)(.)n3tte meet me at org gates

e: Please consider me spiritually in attendance at the adelaide goonmeet. Every half an hour everybody trail off into an awkward silence as though a fat guy wearing a breaking bad t-shirt and smelling of slightly spoiled milk had made some weird joke that nobody understands and then giggled at it for far longer than any normal person would

"as though"?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ewe2 posted:

Its not like they want it, more that they're sleepwalking into it from cowardice and incompetence.
Yeah that's the truth. They can't grasp that the Right faction of the right-wing faction by definition isn't going to be the most popular with most of Australia.

quote:

They have to get rid of Abbott and Hockey, and their best option if not Turnbull and Bishop, is Bishop and Morrison. That's not a stable combination. Unless you have a cunning plan, we'd all like to hear it?
Turnbull is their best bet IMO as long as they're willing to let him throw the nation a couple of centrist bones to buy the rest of their policy package (and I don't think they will because of aforementioned sleepwalking cowardice and incompetence).

The alternative they might latch onto would be someone like Morrison with full-on nationalistic headstomping, which scares me in part because I'm afraid it could feasibly work.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Birb Katter posted:

I would have 15 min ago but for obvious reasons won't now.

beautiful.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

needs to be flipped so it's facing your posts

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Agreed, but the sheer volume of sqwark coming from the Treasury building would be hard to ignore and it would get the attention of all sorts of inconvenient outsiders like the reserve bank board.

Yeah. The funny thing is that they'll push it beyond where there's even the possibility to save face by backing down, then they'll back down anyway if they can't force it through. Then we'll just have to chalk it up to another one of the utterly batshit insane crazy-dictator policies that they've tried to push through in their hate-filled collective dementia. I think the libs have spent so long (not even 2 full terms though..) in opposition that they've determined to just do a smash-and-grab on everything they can now that they've taken power. And if through some crazy fluke they're still here after the next election, they'll.. well, they won't pick up the pieces so much as take it as a mandate to continue with the rampage. Huh. I guess there's no way out but murder.

Breetai posted:

"as though"?

Okay - as though one more were there.

Trapezium Dave posted:

The alternative they might latch onto would be someone like Morrison with full-on nationalistic headstomping, which scares me in part because I'm afraid it could feasibly work.

Abbott is already in full on der Untergang mode in his bunker, if he gets a casus belli then we're hosed. There's nothing that peaceful secularist democracies love more than illegal war against some non-white non-christians to watch on the tv and say "well it's about time somebody did something, good on 'em"

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

First dog is one of those funny things where people used to post it heaps and unironically like it because it was hugely dense and it made them feel clever for reading it, and then it gained popularity and the mainstream political enthusiasts got a hold of it so now it's apparently long-winded and inept when in reality it was always terrible, much like my posting

Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. Just like the posting in this thread.

This thread will never be comparable to Pope though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cartoon posted:

Over reach is when you get the ATO to contemplate industrial action. ASIO and the AFP may be the King and Ace of Spades but the ATO is the whole loving suit of diamonds. A week long strike at the ATO amounts to ~ 1/100th of the annual revenue not collected. Yes it might get collected later but that page on the balance sheet will remain blank forever.

Ahahaha considering how meekly ATO workers took the last lovely agreement, which got voted down, then accepted on the second vote because separate productivity-based bonus payments were included and people were like :qq: we're not going to get anything better, they must be loving up something awful to get ATO to consider striking.

I wonder if the CPSU and ASU forums are still viewable, they were loving amazing to read in the lead up to and after the deal. So many tears.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

Last budget cut 20% of staff over forward estimates so they wouldn't be too concerned about a day or week of nobody working. The other problem is that it would have to be months long strike for this kind of impact - 95% or more of revenue walks in the door without a bureaucrat lifting a finger.

As for the remainder, I think the workers care more about catching cheats for the good of the revenue as opposed to letting them go to prove a point.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Raged posted:

Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. Just like the posting in this thread.

This thread will never be comparable to Pope though.

actually it's all bad, though your metaphor still stands

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Seagull posted:

actually it's all bad, though your metaphor still stands

actually you're the brandis to my wong. sorry bud

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
top result for "penny wong's greatest hits"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuIbEJz23uY

same with brandis

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Senate wielding feathers

:master:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Accidentally scrolled down to the comments

quote:

Fear not fellow citizens. The US is now collecting so much data that they have not the people to read & listen through it all As a result they are actually missing important plots like 911,Oklahhoma bombing and boston bombing.

If your local library has only 3 or 4 books books, the chances are that they will be read many times over.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Accidentally scrolled down to the comments

put that one on the spreadsheet then

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
QANDA first question: 1% of the world owns 48% of the wealth. How can fix that?
Random person who is on the show for some reason: I don't believe that figure, who said that?
QANDA first question: Credit Swisse.
Random person who is on the show for some reason who clearly didn't want to hear the answer: I don't believe that number means anything...

I stopped watching TV at that point.

In other news, I hope the ABC keeps showing Mad As Hell in their actual news segments.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Comstar posted:

QANDA first question: 1% of the world owns 48% of the wealth. How can fix that?
Random person who is on the show for some reason: I don't believe that figure, who said that?
QANDA first question: Credit Swisse.
Random person who is on the show for some reason who clearly didn't want to hear the answer: I don't believe that number means anything...

I stopped watching TV at that point.

In other news, I hope the ABC keeps showing Mad As Hell in their actual news segments.

If it was a man it was Josh Frydenberg (assistant treasurer), if it was a woman it was Trisha Jha (from the Centre for Independent Studies libertarian think tank).

Edit: lol at this qanda profile

quote:

Trisha Jha

Trisha Jha joined the Centre for Independent Studies as a policy analyst in the Social Foundations program in August 2013. Her research has been in social policy, with a particular focus on the family payments system and childcare policy. Her latest reports on those topics were Complex Family Payments: What it Costs the Village to Raise a Child and Regulating for Quality in Childcare: The Evidence Base. Forthcoming research will be primarily on education and schools policy.

Trisha holds a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations from the Australian National University. She has a strong interest in classical liberal ideas, particularly in free speech and freedom of expression, and other civil liberties issues.

Besides her areas of policy expertise Trisha engages in discussions on the issues of the day across a variety of publications and media. She is actively involved in Australia’s small but growing libertarian community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Q&A.

Yeaaahh...no.

• Locked thread