Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Ryuujin posted:

Also is there a way to get Broken Sword on a Monk or Brawler?

With feats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Goons halp me! Totally new player to tabletops here. All table tops. Bunch of friends from work play Pathfinder and I've always had an interest in playing these types of games. I'm getting the rule book and am going to read through it. Any tips or suggestions for new players? They need a warrior so I'm going to roll a melee class. Anything helps! Is the op out of date or is still good info?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I found Paladins and Barbarians easier to work with then Fighters, but you should probably just pick either a Druid, Cleric or Dragon Sorcerer.

Druid being a cool option because you turn into a bear.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm wondering about Pathfinder. Is it pretty easy to balance an encounter as a DM? When I've been DMing 5th edition (and 4th, to a lesser degree) it seems like every encounter I make ends up being hilariously easy or impossible. Also, it depends a lot on player makeup and who is doing the actions. The PCs who are playing casters end up completely overshadowing any of the other classes during combat and I can tell the other PCs don't like it. Is Pathfinder better than D&D in this regard?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bazanga posted:

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm wondering about Pathfinder. Is it pretty easy to balance an encounter as a DM? When I've been DMing 5th edition (and 4th, to a lesser degree) it seems like every encounter I make ends up being hilariously easy or impossible. Also, it depends a lot on player makeup and who is doing the actions. The PCs who are playing casters end up completely overshadowing any of the other classes during combat and I can tell the other PCs don't like it. Is Pathfinder better than D&D in this regard?

Nope. All of the problems with encounter balancing in the 5th edition are also present in pathfinder. Except that the casters are even more powerful in comparison to martials in PF.

Also, at higher levels fights in pathfinder tend to devolve into rocket tag where the casters sling battle-ending spells at each other.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 28, 2015

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bazanga posted:

Unfortunately no. Pathfinder has some severe balance problems when it comes to caster/martial disparity. They made some fixes martial classes like the paladin. But they buffed all the casters as well, so the disparity is still well in effect.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zig-Zag posted:

Goons halp me! Totally new player to tabletops here. All table tops. Bunch of friends from work play Pathfinder and I've always had an interest in playing these types of games. I'm getting the rule book and am going to read through it. Any tips or suggestions for new players? They need a warrior so I'm going to roll a melee class. Anything helps! Is the op out of date or is still good info?
Relatively simple pure melee: invulnerable rager archetype on the barbarian. Get the raging vitality feat and the beast totem rage powers (you really want pounce at level 10). Recommend getting the superstition chain of rage powers as well for spell sunder and spell eater. If you do that, play a race that can put their favoured class bonus into making superstition stronger.

However, there are caster classes that can be super strong in melee. Synthesist summoners, wildshape druids, battle oracles, etc.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

New plan, play an Inquisitor, they can melee and are superfun.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 28, 2015

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer

Andrast posted:

Nope. All of the problems with encounter balancing in the 5th edition are also present in pathfinder. Except that the casters are even more powerful in comparison to martials in PF.

Also, at higher levels fights in pathfinder tend to devolve into rocket tag where the casters sling battle-ending spells at each other.

So then if casters are literally gods at higher levels, do you have to factor that in pretty heavily when making encounters? For instance, if my group is 3 melee players and a wizard at around level 13, do I have to completely tune the encounter with the idea that every round the wizard will just vaporize at least one enemy?

And what about bards? A guy in my group really wants to play one and I'm fine with that but all I really see posted about them is "lol bards"

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Bazanga posted:

So then if casters are literally gods at higher levels, do you have to factor that in pretty heavily when making encounters? For instance, if my group is 3 melee players and a wizard at around level 13, do I have to completely tune the encounter with the idea that every round the wizard will just vaporize at least one enemy?

Give the enemies higher saves and lower AC. Evasion(and the less popular Stalwart which is evasion for Fort and Will) is also a way to force the caster to be assisting and not dominating. Alternatively give leaders/non mooks spell resistance? Checks to overcome SR are d20+Caster level vs SR so if you want them to fail half the time, give the boss SR 23.

Any small enemy (goblin/kobold/gnome/halfling warriors) or any quick animal-y thing, or actual classes that get Evasion make sense.

A robot Ninja is immune to most spells, but its AC may be a fair/manageable ~20 (10+6 Modifier+4 armor)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bazanga posted:

And what about bards? A guy in my group really wants to play one and I'm fine with that but all I really see posted about them is "lol bards"

One enemy vaporization per turn is probably a conservative estimate for the wizard if he knows at all what he should be doing. The problem with actually balancing an encounter in pathfinder at high levels is that one failed save can mean a lost battle, often for both sides. As a result encounter balancing is a crapshoot and battles are often based on who goes first, hence the term "rocket-tag". I generally advise against going over level 12 for long lengthy periods since the system gets so unwieldy.

Bards and the other 6-level casters are some of the more fun and better balanced classes in the game.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Bazanga posted:

Are they actually 13 or is that hypothetical - because realistically most campaigns don't last into the most problematic level ranges.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
The 13 was hypothetical. I just picked a level that I assumed the problems were really apparent at. It sounds like if we stick under level 7ish we won't run into any major class discrepancies, so I'm sure we will be fine.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I play PFS, which caps out at 11, and don't really run into too many issues of casters totally dominating. They're really useful don't get me wrong, but martials still deal most of the damage and skill monkeys do the non combat stuff. Casters seem to do mostly buffs like haste and control like black tentacles, grease or obscuring mist.

Except summoners, they're fuckin assholes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

We first started noticing the divide around level 6, when the group became split down the middle between Those Who Can Fly and Those Who Can't.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My first exposure to pathfinder was accidentally destroying all of the challenge by making a heavens oracle who just Color sprayed everything to death for the first ~7 levels. His small campaign just didn't have almost anything that was immune to it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Well you can also swing balance by having a really wide variety of enemy types and lots of weird environments with nonstandard hazards, and then just let the martials declare they do poo poo like run up walls or fan the air with their sword to send a poison cloud over somewhere or chuck balls of cooling magma with their hammer or whatever while the casters are "limited" to their spell effects.

But then you're not really playing Pathfinder anymore.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The best and easiest pathfinder games to run are the ones without full casters.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We first started noticing the divide around level 6, when the group became split down the middle between Those Who Can Fly and Those Who Can't.

Yeah this is the first major hurdle, typically. Wings or Boots of flying are too expensive for characters at this level but most casters can fly either via spells or class powers starting at level 6, and martials generally can't, unless they're either hybrids or I think some specifically built barbarians.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

grah posted:

Yeah this is the first major hurdle, typically. Wings or Boots of flying are too expensive for characters at this level but most casters can fly either via spells or class powers starting at level 6, and martials generally can't, unless they're either hybrids or I think some specifically built barbarians.

Barbarians can't get wings until level 10, and doing so costs all five of their Rage Powers.

In our case the casters couldn't even cast Fly on our melee characters because they were a Druid and an Alchemist getting wings from Wild Shape and a Discovery respectively. And just after we hit level 6, we entered a long string of encounters that coincidentally all happened to be flying, invisible, or both.

The game was still pretty playable at 6 compared to what came later, but the martial/caster disparity certainly isn't something that doesn't show up until level 13.

Andrast posted:

Bards and the other 6-level casters are some of the more fun and better balanced classes in the game.

This is true as long as you don't count the Summoner. Worst class.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Is summoner bad because it's objectively terrible bad or is it "oh my god did anyone even playtest this" overpowered bad?

Anyone played We be Goblins? Going to run it next week as an introduction to pathfinder for my new group.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
The second.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How is the Summoner intended to be played? You can't chuck out the extra summons while your Eidolon exists and you can't summon the Eidolon in combat, so do you keep the Eidolon out at all times and fall back on Summons if it goes down?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

How is the Summoner intended to be played? You can't chuck out the extra summons while your Eidolon exists and you can't summon the Eidolon in combat, so do you keep the Eidolon out at all times and fall back on Summons if it goes down?

You play the whole party every fight and trivilize the entire game ala wizard but dont even pretend that your limited by resources like the wizard can.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Lone Badger posted:

Your Eidolon fights as well as a full-BAB class does, and you cast as well as a Sorceror does, and you essentially get two turns per round to do both.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah, the summoner is such a good class that standard action summons, multiple per day for free, are considered a secondary, inferior choice to a competing feature.
Like what the actual gently caress.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Lone Badger posted:

It's trivially easy to have your eidolon as good as any full-martial character with the added benefit of getting a second full turn to cast spells. Summoner breaks the action economy with its most basic, namesake class feature alone.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Sticking with Paizo stuff, and without using feats, equipment, spells or favored class bonuses, it's pretty easy to have your eidolon do 12+3d4+5d6 damage at level 6 at full BAB compared to a fully decked out ranger with lead weapons doing about 2d8+4d6+28 damage who takes huge penalties on half their attacks, and minor penalties to negate the eidolon's 3/4 BAB.

Of course... at level 8, your eidolon becomes Large, and then all hell breaks loose, and it is no longer a fair comparison...

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 2, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

It's helpful to look at it like the Eidolon is the actual character, the Summoner is just some guy who follows the actual character around and casts spells sometimes.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
And despite some people's reactions to the Synthesist, as being too powerful because it outshines a Fighter or something, it is actually more balanced than a normal Summoner. Because the Synthesist does not get the action economy of the normal Summoner.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ryuujin posted:

And despite some people's reactions to the Synthesist, as being too powerful because it outshines a Fighter or something, it is actually more balanced than a normal Summoner. Because the Synthesist does not get the action economy of the normal Summoner.

To be fair, the Synthesist really is broken as hell. It's essentially a gestalt Fighter+Sorcerer on a 60-point buy. The fact that the base Summoner class is even better says more about the Summoner than about the Synthesist.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Lottery of Babylon posted:

To be fair, the Synthesist really is broken as hell. It's essentially a gestalt Fighter+Sorcerer on a 60-point buy. The fact that the base Summoner class is even better says more about the Summoner than about the Synthesist.

I'd love to see a Synthesist base class of some sort, built to focus on the eidolon part more, and other summoning less.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Moinkmaster posted:

I'd love to see a Synthesist base class of some sort, built to focus on the eidolon part more, and other summoning less.

The Aegis from Ultimate Psionics is similar and really fun. You create an astral suit using your mind and modify it with a point system like an eidolon. It's also, you know, actually balanced.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis

Andrast fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 2, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I'd sort of like to say that if your group has a Summoner in it, the Summoner should count as two characters for the sake of encounter-building, but then again you'd just be punishing the entire group with tougher combats because one of your players picked a class that's equivalent to two characters in one.

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014
Hey goons, I wanted some advice. I've sttarted planning my next campaign (the current one is wrapping up within the month), and I decided I want to try out the mythic rules. Any advice on running a campaign like this? Recognizing that power creep is gonna be real, I've banned 9 level spell progression classes and summoner, but the effective level of a character being equal to level+half mythic tier seems a bit low, considering the benefits of mythic tiers.

Any thoughts on this, or the mythic rules in general?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Scrimsax posted:

Hey goons, I wanted some advice. I've sttarted planning my next campaign (the current one is wrapping up within the month), and I decided I want to try out the mythic rules. Any advice on running a campaign like this? Recognizing that power creep is gonna be real, I've banned 9 level spell progression classes and summoner, but the effective level of a character being equal to level+half mythic tier seems a bit low, considering the benefits of mythic tiers.

Any thoughts on this, or the mythic rules in general?

Just design encounters around ECL = CL + Tier.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Any class guides on how to be the bestest sorcerer? Would feel awkward asking you guys every time I level. I'm trying to use Minstrels guide but I still ended up basically only casting haste last campaign. But maybe that was because we has a summoner :v: I think he literally dragged like a 4 ton rock or something.

Scrimsax
Nov 29, 2014
I'd check treantmonk, he makes great guides. I know he has a wizard one, I don't know about sorcerer, but it could give you a starting point.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
Buff your party, summon monsters, and control the battlefield.

There, that's all of treantmonk's guides to casters boiled down to one sentence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

kingcom posted:

You play the whole party every fight and trivilize the entire game ala wizard but dont even pretend that your limited by resources like the wizard can.

And Synthesist and Master Summoner are worse