Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Do you know which episode that was? Because I've never watched Young Justice, but I'll watch the poo poo out of a Ted Kord episode.

The entire second season.

Blue/Black/Green Beetles are all key players in the season's overarching plot.

edit: Oh, an episode with Kord. :saddowns: There were no episodes with Kord speaking. He's in a flashback, and seen in a photograph, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
DC might still be hoping to launch a Blue Beetle series (which would be great), but that question will linger as to why Palmer instead of Kord until BB appears.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

edit: Oh, an episode with Kord. :saddowns: There were no episodes with Kord speaking. He's in a flashback, and seen in a photograph, that's it.
Ah, okay. As the biggest Ted Kord fan there is, I would have felt silly for missing something more significant than that.

I'm still hoping the rumor comes true that Geoff Johns favorite Booster Gold appears on Flash, due to all the time travel shenanigans, paving the way for a Ted Kord appearance. Maybe they are some of the mystery characters planned for the Atom/Firestorm/Captain Cold/Caity Lotz spinoff!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Brother Blood was literally wearing an off-brand Scarecrow mask. I adore Arrow, but they've always felt free to pilfer from other DC characters.

At least this year they've branched out to aping Iron Man too. And not just the suit, but even some of the scene-by-scene beats, like testing the repulsors.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Deakul posted:

What did Waller even see in Ollie?

Waller saw Ollie stop her plans in Season 1, then presumably also saw him take down a dude with light superpowers in season 2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kord has been mentioned in Arrow, they were at one of his company's fundraisers or something. I guess that's as far as they were able to go with him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

King of Solomon posted:

Waller saw Ollie stop her plans in Season 1, then presumably also saw him take down a dude with light superpowers in season 2.

Oliver Queen...he's just this guy, you know?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

King of Solomon posted:

I mean in the flashbacks.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Deakul posted:

I mean in the flashbacks.

Okay, so. Fyers, from the Island flashback? He worked for Waller.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oliver should just make his first action as Assassin Boss to be changing the name to The League of Assassins (But Only For Really Naughty People). Then he can start tossing baddies in with Slade and Captain Boomerang.

Also I appreciate the slow build up to more crazy super things. Ray flying around would have seemed ridiculous and out of place last season, but now we've had super soldiers and the Flash (and everything that entails) and it just works. They could stick friggin' Superman in now and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. But I'd hope for Kryptonite arrows. Or Kryptonite lasers coherent hard light beams. Y'know, just in case he got too big for his superboots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

Let me present a hypothetical situation here (and I'm not arguing here, I'm just...positing):

You find out recently that an estranged relative of yours, who's been staying at your house, is a murderer. In fact, he killed a lot of people. Hundreds. And furthermore he has been using his relationship with you to help in his murders; that one time you two went to Vegas for a weekend was actually a plan he concocted to be able to kill someone.

Do you, or do you not, call the police to your house to arrest him, knowing that they will probably give him the death penalty? Does the fact that your actions will lead to this relative's death make you personally responsible for killing him, or are you simply being a responsible person by getting out of a dangerous situation and allowing justice to run its natural course?
I genuinely don't know what I'd do. I'm DEEPLY opposed to the death penalty and if I knew turning someone in would guarantee they end up on death row it would be a very difficult decision. Of course if I thought they were a danger to others I might just have to do it but I'd at least have the ability to try and keep them off death row. I could testify in court or speak to the media or make a plea to the prosectors. I'd have options, in theory. So I don't think its really a fair comparison. As you said, the League aren't the cops/courts.

Its more like "If someone you knew was a murder of many people would you turn him over to a street gang to be killed?" I mean, technically by your hypothetical Thea COULD have just called the cops. Isn't Malcolm still wanted for the S1 thing? Of course that would also be an imperfect solution because he could get away, get off, get killed in jail by the League, or whatever. But I'm just saying turning someone over to the League is way more of a "death sentence" than turning them into the cops (even if you're in a death penalty state and knew he was in trouble).

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just don't know who is going to be the antagonist now? Ra's is also no longer threatening after asking Ollie to become the next... him (I know that's an awkward sentence).

This season was a bit odd in general. I mean, it wasn't bad, it just feels so in-between. Usually the third and fifth seasons of most shows tend to be the best, so it's unusual.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And you thought the Kingsmen had a tough job interview...

Learning the words to "Louie Louie" is difficult, but not "get stabbed twice and dropped 100 feet onto a jagged rock" difficult.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Captain Mog posted:

I just don't know who is going to be the antagonist now? Ra's is also no longer threatening after asking Ollie to become the next... him (I know that's an awkward sentence).

This season was a bit odd in general. I mean, it wasn't bad, it just feels so in-between. Usually the third and fifth seasons of most shows tend to be the best, so it's unusual.

The Hive are still out there giving people hilarious bing searches

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any reasoning why Ted Kord is off limits? I assume it has nothing to do with Charlton comics, being that they have allowed the Question, and captain Atom to be used in the past.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Crowsbeak posted:

Is there any reasoning why Ted Kord is off limits? I assume it has nothing to do with Charlton comics, being that they have allowed the Question, and captain Atom to be used in the past.

From what I understand DC editorial is extremely petty about getting rid of old characters they don't like and telling everyone they have to use their personal favorite characters instead.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Crowsbeak posted:

According to the show runners DC told they "have other plans for the character". Said plans are likely leave him in an attic till it forgotten entirely that there was a different Blue Beetle before Jaime Reyes.

XboxPants posted:

From what I understand DC editorial is extremely petty about getting rid of old characters they don't like and telling everyone they have to use their personal favorite characters instead.

Yeah, this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except the Ted Kord Beetle is a currently active character in the comics, but I guess let's keep ignoring that.

quote:

No, in fact it's usually the opposite.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I rewatched the first season finale recently and good god, this show used to be a lot better. You can really see the budget they had back then - full on explosions on the island, and sets that aren't just warehouses. (And as much as I loathe to raise the issue again, brought Katie Cassidy's weight loss/face change into sharp relief.) It still has some rough rear end dialogue, but just...high quality everything else. Goddamn. Thea finding out what her mother had done. :smith: Detective Lance on the phone to Laurel. :smith: Tommy. :smith:

And that they had the BALLS to end it like that, with half the city in ruins, the bad guy having essentially won... and the hero lying to his dying best friend and cradling the corpse, begging him to open his eyes. (Plus I had been expecting Tommy to go all Harry Osborn the entire time so it was a great twist on my expectations) Still one of the best season finales on TV, and the only thing that could get the taste of The Walking Dead season 3 finale out of my mouth.

Natalya Fartz posted:

Goddamn Dig, how many "Yo this dude is gonna get offed" lines can you say in a single episode.
I too was terrified that Diggle was going to die/is going to die after all the lines they gave him last ep. :ohdear:

On the plus side, Diggle is getting screentime, some actual respect as Oliver's oldest ally and something to do. But something bad is definitely going to happen. He's easily the most expendable because he has no shipper fans. (Which is another reason he is The Best.)

I wonder if Ra's will make Diggle's death a test or something.

JohnSherman posted:

Okay, Oliver killing nameless LoA mooks is fine, but he'll be damned if he lets them kill Merlyn. :argh:
This was really loving stupid. Oliver is an idiot and entirely in the wrong here.

The LoA aren't threatening the world or anything! They're literally minding their own business when two hostile enemies break into their home. Ollie already attacked them first by kidnapping Nyssa. Explaining it away with his monumental ego ("I lost a fight that I asked for so I will kill people and make enemies and save bad people and lie to my family - just to get a rematch?") is better than "doing it for Thea" but still really dumb.

And speaking of Nyssa, I know y'all love her but goddamn that accent hurts me. It's a shame because Katrina Law seems pretty cool otherwise.

The one good thing Ollie did was lie to Laurel because she is a completely unreasonable, unstable person. Aside from that time she literally tried to murder that guy this season who had nothing to do with her sister's death - there's the fact her plan for revenge on a master ninja was to beat him up. Good god.

No idea where the Roy/Atom/Felicity plot is going, but with the musical swell this episode it sure felt like a backdoor pilot á la The Flash. The greenscreeniness of that Michael Bay camera spin was pretty rough though, even if the costume looks cool. And gently caress it, I will happily ship Felicity with anyone other than Oliver.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VagueRant posted:

complaining shaped :words:.

Hope you were getting paid while you wrote all that rubbish.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hey, maybe he shot all those ninjas in non-vital organs. He's got to have gotten that process down by this point, right?

I don't know if it's going to have anything to do with Dig but yeah, like everyone has said, I'm sure the most likely plot right now is that Oliver's gonna be waffling about whether he wants to lead the League and then he finds out he has to do something super duper extra objectionable, and then he will Regain His Humanity at the last minute and stuff.

Ooh, I hope they just go full-tilt Batman Begins and the test is that he has to execute a violent criminal. Which is the only thing he did in the first season. But this time around he will just outright stubbornly refuse to do so, and thereby end up killing twenty ninjas in his attempt to escape having to kill one single person. :haw:

VagueRant posted:

The one good thing Ollie did was lie to Laurel because she is a completely unreasonable, unstable person. Aside from that time she literally tried to murder that guy this season who had nothing to do with her sister's death - there's the fact her plan for revenge on a master ninja was to beat him up. Good god.
Well...no, she was gonna shoot him with a gun too.

Oliver's the one who really comes across as an emotionally-stilted sociopath here. Malcolm killed Laurel's sister, of course she wants revenge, and we know what she's the type of person who wants revenge via personally getting her hands dirty. Malcolm put Oliver's sister in danger over and over again and he's just like "But we need Malcolm Merlyn!! I have to protect him!"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Stephen Amell mentioned in a podcast that Arrow actually had its budget cut in HALF between season one and two. This is actually not super uncommon in the industry, but its still a whopper of a fact.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Stephen Amell mentioned in a podcast that Arrow actually had its budget cut in HALF between season one and two. This is actually not super uncommon in the industry, but its still a whopper of a fact.

I..Jesus, what? Why? I thought it was starting to pick up steam, ratings-wise, toward the end of S1. Why would they kneecap them like that?

And if it's not super uncommon, what is the reasoning? I always thought the pilot and first half of S1 were usually a show's weaker points, when they figure out what works and what doesn't, and which of their actors and plots deserve the most focus. Season 2 seems like the first time most shows are actually able to put their budget to its best use.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well, once you have sets built and stuff, much of the operating costs drop considerably.

But it's still kinda crazy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a tiny thing but I thought the neatest part of the last episode was the shot where Oliver fires one of those fire arrows and you actually see it travel until it hits the guy. After seeing so many jump cuts between loosing an arrow and just having it appear in something that was nice. Wouldn't be surprised if during the shoot someone thought "Hey, if these arrows are on fire was can actually see one travel a long distance" and they just did it.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

Captain Mog posted:

There are still 8 episodes left.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rocksicles posted:

Hope you were getting paid while you wrote all that rubbish.

Except he's not wrong about any of it.
Except Katrina Law.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Phenotype posted:

I..Jesus, what? Why? I thought it was starting to pick up steam, ratings-wise, toward the end of S1. Why would they kneecap them like that?

The show had lost about 1/3rd of its audience by the end of season 1. Season 2 continued to decline, but not as steeply, and thanks to The Flash, season 3 bounced back somewhat, which is rare as broadcast shows typically decline until cancellation. I wouldn't be surprised if the season 3 budget was cut substantially as well due to the season 2 ratings.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Marathoned this from the beginning to the newest episode over the last week. (Snowed in and sick)

Was surprised it's as engrossing as it is. The family drama dialogue can be really cringeworthy sometimes though. Will definitely keep watching, and probably start watching the Flash.

E:
One question: Are they shipping ATOM off onto his own show and using this season to build up to that?
Google tells me so.

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
What's going on in this image? I don't know the comics at all.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ashez2ashes posted:

I suppose they could do a "previously on The Flash" at the beginning of the Arrow episode. All kidding aside, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened temporarily. I could see Arrow having a field day with it for one episode. Could Barry's mom have repercussions that could stretch all the way to Arrow? Was she a scientist/politician or anything?

No, but part of Flashpoint is rebooting anything. Like Biblical era ago, things.

overtone posted:

Those could just be CGI reference points

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 2, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Doesn't seem to be anything comics related. Maybe it's something to do with Ray.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wristband looks a bit overbuilt just for CGI.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The reason why Ted Kord isn't in the show is because... Ollie is actually the new Blue Green Beetle

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Wristband looks a bit overbuilt just for CGI.

They're also putting out a lot of light. Unless he's going all Dr. Manhattan, I don't think they'd use lights like that for CGI.

Maybe it's like, in-show computer reference points. Like, Ray's scanning Oliver's fighting style so he can, I dunno download it into the ATOM suit or something.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The reason why Ted Kord isn't in the show is because... Ollie is actually the new Blue Green Beetle

Are you suggesting that Ollie is a martian?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

In a surprising plot twist, Oliver gets his hand cut off, not Roy (yeah I know Roy loses the whole arm :v:).

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bunnyofdoom posted:

There's one guy who joined for the Dental.

he's the best one.

yeah I would NOT gently caress with a guy who joined the League of Assassins for the health benefits.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

overtone posted:

Stephen Amell is IRL jealous of Brandon Routh because Iron Man is his favorite hero but Brandon gets to wear the Iron Man suit and people are saying Routh is prettier than him too, so he bought this huge expensive bracelet with a glowing power core at Saks Fifth Avenue and refuses to take it off when he's filming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

:siren::siren::siren:
(It's Thea)

• Locked thread