Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

irlZaphod posted:

Psylocke's powers kinda changed too, when she originally appeared in Marvel UK comics, she was more of a Clairvoyant than a telekinetic. She's obviously changed a bunch further over the years then.

To be fair she did kind of have the whole body swap thing going on. She goes from average (for comics) white woman to Asian ninja sexpot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't Revanche end up with Psylocke's original powers in addition to her body?

Ugh what a stupid plotline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Didn't Revanche end up with Psylocke's original powers in addition to her body?

Ugh what a stupid plotline.

For some reason she got a copy of Psylocke's then-current abilities but more powerful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At one point in the 1990s, Psylocke switched powers with Phoenix; Betsy got Jean's telekinesis, while Jean got Betsy's telepathy. It was going to tie into this big storyline Joe Kelly and Steven T. Seagle wanted to do with the Shadow King, but they decided to leave instead, purportedly because they were tired of Harras telling them what to write.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did Jean start talking about the focused totality of her psionic power?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My co-worker has expressed an interest in X-Men lately after binging through all the movies. She really liked Beasts character in the more recent movies and asked if I could recommend some stories featuring Beast in a prominent role and outside of New X-Men I really couldn't think of any. So are there any really good Beast centered stories out there?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

My co-worker has expressed an interest in X-Men lately after binging through all the movies. She really liked Beasts character in the more recent movies and asked if I could recommend some stories featuring Beast in a prominent role and outside of New X-Men I really couldn't think of any. So are there any really good Beast centered stories out there?
X-Men S.W.O.R.D.
(which follows Whedon's Astonishing run, which is also a good go-to)
There's a great Wolverine and the X-Men issue where Beast and Sabertooth duke it out IN SPAAACE (#8).
A+X #4 has a super fun Beast/Spidey team-up.

Beast really doesn't get to take the lead too often :/

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Astonishing is always a good choice for a fan of the movies.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

redbackground posted:

X-Men S.W.O.R.D.

Wasn't that the Goat-Beast series?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dacap posted:

Wasn't that the Goat-Beast series?

Yes. It was also full of very dynamic, expressive art from Sanders and great writing by Gillen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Beast sure has had a lot of looks for a guy whose mutation isn't even the thing making him look like he does.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maybe some of the Beast avengers stuff?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I can think of a lot of Beast storylines - Endangered Species, the Pestilence / Infectia storyline, Dark Beast, Prisoner of Love... but I can't think of a lot of good Beast storylines. He's always worked best as a part of a team, not that the current X-Men runs are doing much in the way of favors for him. Still, looking up his classic X-Factor run might be worthwhile, he got to shine a lot more than that then he generally did in the X-Men proper.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Aaagh OK. So I'm pretty new to comics in general. Spider-Man never really interested me so I haven't read any of it but Spider-Gwen looks rad so I am subscribed to her new series and trying to catch up on the cameos she's had in the other Spider comics. I found Edge of Spider-Verse #2 . . . but apparently she goes back even further than that because I open it to find even more "PREVIOUSLY IN SPIDER-WOMAN". Can someone tell me which issues of what series to grab to get her whole backstory, or at least tell me how to figure it the heck out myself? I am looking at wikis and things but I am not finding any that do a good job of citing when things happened in what issues. Also holy crap the "Spider-verse" is a huge confusing mess.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Aaagh OK. So I'm pretty new to comics in general. Spider-Man never really interested me so I haven't read any of it but Spider-Gwen looks rad so I am subscribed to her new series and trying to catch up on the cameos she's had in the other Spider comics. I found Edge of Spider-Verse #2 . . . but apparently she goes back even further than that because I open it to find even more "PREVIOUSLY IN SPIDER-WOMAN". Can someone tell me which issues of what series to grab to get her whole backstory, or at least tell me how to figure it the heck out myself? I am looking at wikis and things but I am not finding any that do a good job of citing when things happened in what issues. Also holy crap the "Spider-verse" is a huge confusing mess.

I was about to write a big long thing, but, assuming you're not joking, the 'previously in' page in that issue is a gag/framing device. They're presenting it like it's just a random issue of Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman, that happens to end with a tie-in to Spider-Verse. That 'Previously' IS the backstory. There is nothing else.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Gaz-L posted:

I was about to write a big long thing, but, assuming you're not joking, the 'previously in' page in that issue is a gag/framing device. They're presenting it like it's just a random issue of Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman, that happens to end with a tie-in to Spider-Verse. That 'Previously' IS the backstory. There is nothing else.

Oooh OK. No I am not joking. I'm not familiar with the series so how would I know the difference? Thanks for the help though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

HondaCivet posted:

Oooh OK. No I am not joking. I'm not familiar with the series so how would I know the difference? Thanks for the help though.
There is no series. They invented her for the Spider-Verse crossover and she was a big hit, so she's getting a series now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sorry if I came off rude or dismissive, that's not my intent. The big long thing was gonna be a 'beginner's guide to approaching continuity and tie-ins'. (Short version, you don't need to care about them.)

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

CapnAndy posted:

There is no series. They invented her for the Spider-Verse crossover and she was a big hit, so she's getting a series now.

I mean the whole Spider-Man series. I vaguely knew that Edge of Spider-Verse is a bunch of one-offs about alternate Spiderpeople which is why I was surprised by the "PREVIOUSLY IN . . . " thing. But now I know it was a gag so it's cool. Kind of too bad, I think an issue covering her origin and Peter's death would be interesting even if we know the ending.

Gaz-L posted:

Sorry if I came off rude or dismissive, that's not my intent. The big long thing was gonna be a 'beginner's guide to approaching continuity and tie-ins'. (Short version, you don't need to care about them.)

Ah OK, sorry for getting defensive. I have an unfounded fear of comic book nerd snobbery as a newbie.

If you wrote that up I'd totally read it actually. I'd welcome any kind of beginner's guide to comics if such a thing existed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

HondaCivet posted:

Ah OK, sorry for getting defensive. I have an unfounded fear of comic book nerd snobbery as a newbie.

We're pretty chill here and most people have the "read the good stories, gently caress continuity" attitude. Other than expecting some general SA sarcasm, I'd like to think everyone is going to be nice to noobies. The more fans, the better!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

HondaCivet posted:

If you wrote that up I'd totally read it actually. I'd welcome any kind of beginner's guide to comics if such a thing existed.

When I was young, The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe was this for me, but it used to be a 20-issue mini and is now 14 hardback volumes, unfortunately. The '90s and '00s did a lot to make Marvel comics way more complicated, unfortunately.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Guide to reading comics:

Open comic/preview, read a few pages. Does it interest you? Buy comic. Did you want to read more? Why? Writing: Look up the writer's work. Artwork: Look up artist's work. Stop reading if art/writing changes to the point you're not enjoying it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Where does one start to read about Carol as Captain Marvel? Is she in an Avengers comic or just her own series? Crossovers? Etc.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Captain Marvel 2012 https://www.comixology.com/Captain-Marvel-2012-2013/comics-series/8220?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
KSD's Avengers Assemble https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-Assemble/comics-series/5211?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA&Issues_pg=1
Avenging Spider-Man 9&10 https://www.comixology.com/Avenging-Spider-Man-2011-2013/comics-series/6965?ref=Y3JlYXRvci92aWV3L2Rlc2t0b3AvbGlzdC9jcmVhdG9yTGlzdA
Captain Marvel 2014 https://www.comixology.com/Captain-Marvel-2014/comics-series/15021?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI
Guardians of the Galaxy from #15 https://www.comixology.com/Guardian...ZXI&Issues_pg=2

She's also in Hickman's Avengers from time to time. Most notably during Infinity.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 2, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

Where does one start to read about Carol as Captain Marvel? Is she in an Avengers comic or just her own series? Crossovers? Etc.

Avengers 200

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

Avengers 200

I told you to stop that!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Avengers 200

Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

That's Rhyno's job. Or Lurdiak, depending on the day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:mad: I am a saint.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's Rhyno's job. Or Lurdiak, depending on the day.

I'd take either of them over wickedhate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Len posted:

I'd take either of them over wickedhate.

I'm also a saint. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013's job isn't being an rear end in a top hat, it's tricking people into reading horrible comics.

The bigger problem is that he likes to mix it up with good recommendations so it's like the Every Flavored Beans of comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

bobkatt013's job isn't being an rear end in a top hat, it's tricking people into reading horrible comics.

The bigger problem is that he likes to mix it up with good recommendations so it's like the Every Flavored Beans of comics.

Well, duh. If they were all bad suggestions, no one would ever fall for them. You gotta bait the trap now and then with some choice meat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

It's a BSS right of passage.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awww, it's nice to be loved!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Don't worry, I know better than to read Avengers 200

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait what's Avengers 200...

quote:

Avengers Vol 1 200 - Marvel Comics Database
marvel.wikia.com/Avengers_Vol_1_200
Ms. Marvel undergoes a nine-month gestation period in the span of a few days, completely unaware...

AAAAAAAGGHGHAHHBHAHHBH

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SynthOrange posted:

Wait what's Avengers 200...

AAAAAAAGGHGHAHHBHAHHBH

Claremont (CLAREMONT!) had her bitch out the Avengers (and Marvel) in an X-Men comic over the whole thing because he thought it was disgusting.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/03/03/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Avengers Annual 10 is the followup and can be summarised as Claremont going "What the gently caress guys?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Avengers are barely phased too, they're like "Oh poo poo you had a baby in what, a week? How cute! Let's knit it some onesies!"