Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

Megamorph

...yes, its apparently really called Megamorph.

Morph except it's a 5/5.

Also, 0/3 for my prediction of storm, dredge, and banding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Future Sight was really, really top-heavy in an already complicated block. Look at Ichor Slick for example; the reminder text is all there so that players can understand the 'gimmick' of the card, but the question is why? The set, and by extension the entire block, was almost entirely Design's excuse to make whatever ideas that seemed cool at the time; it literally took all traditional design principles away from the game which just made it a mess consisting of cards they couldn't get printed in a 'real' set.

The real tragedy was that they even soured the target market of the set in two significant ways: Tarmogoyf quickly broke the record for most expensive standard card ever printed when it was released AND Sprout Swarm absolutely trashed the limited format. If someone drew a Sprout Swarm they'd have little reason to do anything except cast Sprout Swarm. They printed Pack Rat as a common.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I can't wait to find out what the mostly useless Mythic cycle will be this time.

Better than having something like the titans around again.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Mechanics:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maro's card:

Dragonlord Mythic:

:siren: ELDER DRAGON TYPE :siren:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
There were cards here. They're gone now.

Also :lol: at Megamorph.

e: slow on the draw today. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 2, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rebound is back!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really like how Rebound interacts with Prowess. That's a clever mechanic to bring back.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Megamorph :ughh:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sidisi. More evil.

Dragon Tempests!

1Packaging has a new Sarkhan on it. Not sure if he's getting a new card or not.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 2, 2015

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

That Sidisi is rad and I kind of like Exploit. It suits black well.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Holy poo poo they're Elder dragons

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Literally everything about RoE was great, so the return of rebound is fantastic. Exploit is great, Megamorph is hilariously named and Formidable looks uninteresting.

Come on Megamorphling.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ELDER DRAGONS?

Oh bubby.

Also, Silumgar looks awesome and probably will be played as a one of in the side of U/B control because that's a powerful effect hot drat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
6 mana, steal your Elspeth or Ugin. That's powerful.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Whoever called Elder Dragons, congrats.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I hope there's something that makes small dragon tokens, or they have Whelps at uncommon or common. Seems pointless to have # of dragons matter when its going to just be 1 most of the time.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Conspicious lady on the packaging with glowing planeswalker eyes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This is too good for Abzan Control not to play, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

This is too good for Abzan Control not to play, right?

At 7 CMC? That's a pretty tough sell I think.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Conspicious lady on the packaging with glowing planeswalker eyes.

That looks a little like Narset, actually. All she's missing is the big glowing eyeball on her forehead, but that might've come with the Khan job.

Also, Stratus Dancer seems really, really good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

At 7 CMC? That's a pretty tough sell I think.

They were playing Duneblast and this is a comparably powerful effect I think...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

:siren: ELDER DRAGON TYPE :siren:

:allears:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

They were playing Duneblast and this is a comparably powerful effect I think...

I do not think this effect is as powerful as Duneblast unless the meta is control dominated

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Formidable is really boring, much like Ferocious.

Why does Temur have to be the boring clan? :sigh:

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Angry Grimace posted:

Packaging has a new Sarkhan on it. Not sure if he's getting a new card or not.

My pet theory is that those two booster images are creature Sarkhan and planeswalker Narset.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Rebound is a :sicknasty: mechanic so this is good stuff.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, being undead didn't do Sidisi's personal image any good.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 2, 2015

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
I've been tasked with teaching/onboarding a bunch of folks into Magic over the next few months and am working on building some 40 card basic 'teaching' decks. I'm going to end up making several different 'difficulties' of decks, but the most basic will be mono-colored 40 card decks without instants or complicated abilities.

Has anyone done anything like this? Here is what I've come up with on my first pass:

Starter Black
Starter Blue
Starter Green
Starter Red
Starter White

Sourced mostly commons/uncommons from core sets. Initial concerns are that Red is just going to be too weak.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nibble posted:

My pet theory is that those two booster images are creature Sarkhan and planeswalker Narset.

So far he hasn't lost his spark. They have a "policy" to not print creatures of current Planeswalkers.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Angry Grimace posted:

1Packaging has a new Sarkhan on it. Not sure if he's getting a new card or not.

They don't put art on packaging if it's not also on a card you can open.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

My favorite new thing Wizards does is put the articles up early but you can't actually read them.

But at the least I can tell the mechanic names are:

Bolster
Rebound
Exploit
Dash
Formidable
Megamorph

...yes, its apparently really called Megamorph.

(Wasn't rebound in ROE?)

It bugs me that "formidable" is the only one of those that isn't a verb.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

They don't put art on packaging if it's not also on a card you can open.

What I meant is that its possible its just not his 'card' and could be an enchantment or something that just has him on it. E.g. if they were printing Form of the Dragon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Formidable is really boring, much like Ferocious.

Why does Temur have to be the boring clan? :sigh:

Ferocious is pretty exciting in limited formats...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Silver2195 posted:

It bugs me that "formidable" is the only one of those that isn't a verb.

Makes sense though. You're not doing formidable, you're asking if your forces are formidable or not.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 2, 2015

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Ferocious is pretty exciting in limited formats...

Not to mention that RG Aggro deck running around with a ton of 4-power creatures.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Angry Grimace posted:

What I meant is that its possible its just not his 'card' and could be an enchantment or something that just has him on it. E.g. if they were printing Form of the Dragon.

I guess it's possible, but his pose in that art is pretty planeswalker-y.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

bhsman posted:

Not to mention that RG Aggro deck running around with a ton of 4-power creatures.

I played this at a PPTQ this past weekend, won my first match convincingly against Sultai Control and then proceeded to get destroyed by Abzan, UB and Abzan.... It feels badly positioned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Also, the clans are now just named after the dragons I guess?

Silumgar has zombie Djinn, and that's metal as gently caress.

mcmagic posted:

I played this at a PPTQ this past weekend, won my first match convincingly against Sultai Control and then proceeded to get destroyed by Abzan, UB and Abzan.... It feels badly positioned...

You should add blue, and play Knuckleblades and countermagic.

You'll be as badly positioned but you'll get to play with one of the best creatures in standard.

Oh also you'll get to enjoy blowing people out with not-Force Spike.

• Locked thread