Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Sludge Tank posted:

Used one drop on the swab, as had done in the past.
Perhaps the swabs were poo poo.... (been in the kit a couple of years but hadn't been used, although they were more spongey compared to the other ones I had used)

Use a smaller drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
destroy the camera and abandon ship

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

MrBlandAverage posted:

Use a smaller drop.

:psyduck:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

See if Amazon could deliver to your location with a fedex boat/submarine

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

BANME.sh posted:

destroy the camera and abandon ship

This is the best solution. It's a loving D100...

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Today, Sludge Tank learns that "a drop" is not a standardized measurement.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Today, Sludge Tank learns that "a drop" is not a standardized measurement.

actually a metric drop is 50 microliters, but I somehow doubt that anyone in this thread is actually using standardized units when measuring out their drops.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
He could try half or quarter drops.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ezekiel_980 posted:

droplets and minidrops, respectively.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
you'll need exactly 13 millidrops.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
drop the camera

off the ship

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Start a mutiny and 'lose' the camera in the chaos.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I know this is not a Nikon but the same technique should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdkFXsr5Us

Amstrat
Feb 16, 2011

Dread Head posted:

I know this is not a Nikon but the same technique should

I was having trouble visualising a "drop" so this helps, thanks

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Dread Head posted:

I know this is not a Nikon but the same technique should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrdkFXsr5Us

That camera's fine I'm sure.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RCT-YMgjm9k

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Last time someone told me that I tripped balls for 3 days.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

So I own a Canon 7D and a couple cheap lenses. I've been reading as much as I can about the technical side of photography and wondering if I should maybe switch over to Nikon before I start really investing my money? The fact that Nikon has significantly better sensors with greater dynamic range and better lenses/performance for the same cost and generally seem to be putting more effort into improving their technology makes me wonder if Nikon would just be a better choice in the long run.

I shoot a variety of things, from portraiture to concerts to abandoned buildings and once shot a wedding. I don't really care about sports or nature photography, I'm mostly interested in poo poo like fashion and artsy crap. Solid video capacity would also probably be important. Are there any good reasons not to bother converting with all this in mind? I was planning on getting an 85mm f/1.8 next, a 5d3 after, and then the 135mm f/2 and probably the 70-200 f/2.8 eventually. What would be the equivalent Nikon bodies or lenses to aspire to if I wanted to switch?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always been under the impression that if you're already invested in a camera system, then changing to another probably isn't worthwhile. Unless you hate the way you operate your 7D?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I'm thinking long-term. The 7D is awesome, so is the 5D3, but maybe the D800 would be even better? I'm not deeply invested yet. I haven't spent more than a grand so far and I can probably recoup most of that if I sold it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
85 1.8g is really good. The 135f2dc is too. So is the d810. The 70-200 2.8 isn't as good as the L though.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

85 1.8g is really good. The 135f2dc is too. So is the d810. The 70-200 2.8 isn't as good as the L though.
It's rumored that Sigma is going to update their 70-200mm 2.8 to a 'Sport' model, so there's that option (if it comes to exist. It probably will, with how they have been revamping their lineup for this 'Global Vision' thing)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

I'm thinking long-term. The 7D is awesome, so is the 5D3, but maybe the D800 would be even better? I'm not deeply invested yet. I haven't spent more than a grand so far and I can probably recoup most of that if I sold it.
I don't blame you. As much as I like some things about Canon, they seem to have just shrugged and given up on sensor development while Sony just announced an increase in sensor R&D. I've been shooting with the D800 for the last year and a half, and it's a fantastic camera for the ~$1800 price tag that used copies carry now. My only real complaints boil down to:
-The placement of the ISO button is annoying
-The autofocus can't track small objects moving at high speed toward me
-It's hard to clean up images shot at over ISO 1600 for large or heavily cropped prints (although I'm not using any advanced noise reduction plugins, so mileage may vary)
-The 4fps shooting isn't ideal for sports/wildlife, although it does teach you to be good with timing your shots
-The video gets significant moire with rough fabrics and textured surfaces

If none of those are going to seriously impact your work, then I'd definitely consider the switch.

Kenshin posted:

It's rumored that Sigma is going to update their 70-200mm 2.8 to a 'Sport' model, so there's that option (if it comes to exist. It probably will, with how they have been revamping their lineup for this 'Global Vision' thing)
Tamron's newest 70-200mm is pretty drat good, too.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 25, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I flipped to Nikon from Canon when the D800 and 5d MkIII came out. At the time I was shooting on a 5D MkII and had a 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 24-105 f4 IS. I'd always wanted to try Nikon and, with my relatively small Canon investment plus the D800 being cheaper than the MkIII, it seemed like a good opportunity to try. Three years in I'm still really happy with the decision.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I was shooting Canon crop before the D800 came and the leap in tech over the mk3 was so dramatic I knew I had to switch.

I just wish there was a decent 24-105 :sigh:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

1st AD posted:

I was shooting Canon crop before the D800 came and the leap in tech over the mk3 was so dramatic I knew I had to switch.

The Sigma Art one is pretty much on par with or marginally superior to the Canon version (depending on what your judging criteria are). There are rumors that they've stopped making it, but they still have it for sale at major resellers for less than the Canon 24-104 f/4 or the horrendous Nikkor 24-120mm.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

A thousand times this. I didn't know what I had till it was gone.

I've rented the Sigma 24-105 and its IS is no where near as good as Canon or Nikon 1st party lenses if you're shooting video, which is the main reason I want IS. Lately I've been on the fence about just giving up and buying the 24-120 f4 despite it not being that great so I can have a midrange zoom again. I love my primes but sometimes flexibility is nice.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Anyone have experience with the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 EX DG IF HSM? Okay telephoto? Any issues to look out for?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Nikon D7200 has been officially announced:

http://nikon.com/news/2015/0302_dslr_01.htm

quote:

The new 51-point AF system, for which the same Advanced Multi-CAM 3500 II autofocus sensor module built into the D750 has been adopted, offers the same 51 focus points available with the D7100 while achieving a broader detection range that begins at just -3 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F).

18 14-bit RAW images with a single burst of continuous shooting at approximately 6 fps

The EXPEED 4 image-processing engine for even better image quality
The D7200 is equipped with the same EXPEED 4 image-processing engine adopted for high-end models. This enables use of a broad range of standard ISO sensitivity settings, from ISO 100 to 25600, with both still images and movies, for sharp and clear imaging with which noise is effectively reduced, even at high sensitivities. In addition, the absence of a low-pass filter maximizes the superior resolution of the high effective pixel count of 24.2-million pixels and the excellent rendering capabilities of NIKKOR lenses for sharp rendering of even the finest details in subjects.

Use of a magnesium alloy ensures an highly durable body that is effectively sealed for superior resistance to dust and water drops

Product page: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/dslr-cameras/1554/D7200.html

DPReview preview (they were clearly waiting for the embargo to be up): http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d7200

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 2, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's a lot of camera for a grand

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

dp review commenter posted:

My last Nikon was a D300s and it's going to stay that way. I'll give it to my nephew along with all the Nikon glass. Nikon simply fails to excite me as it once did. These comatising iterations are nothing but a blatant money grabbing exercise. I have moved away from Nikon because the D400 never arrived and never will. DX Canon, Samsung, Sony and Pentax is where I am looking with interest.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Kenshin posted:

Nikon D7200 has been officially announced:

http://nikon.com/news/2015/0302_dslr_01.htm

Neat. I wonder how much that will push down D7100 prices.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

McCoy Pauley posted:

Neat. I wonder how much that will push down D7100 prices.

I don't think we're alone in that boat. Unless you were someone who didn't want a 7100 due to the frame buffer problems, there doesn't seem to be a *huge* amount on first inspection to grab a 7200 at full price rather than a heavily discounted or second hand 7100, or am I missing something?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't think we're alone in that boat. Unless you were someone who didn't want a 7100 due to the frame buffer problems, there doesn't seem to be a *huge* amount on first inspection to grab a 7200 at full price rather than a heavily discounted or second hand 7100, or am I missing something?

That's my initial reaction on a quick read of the dpreview article. I don't imagine feeling greatly limited by the buffer in the D7100, and the other stuff all seems like incremental upgrades that would be nice, but not nice enough to make me consider a $1200 camera if I could get a nice, used or refurbed D7100 for about half that.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

My fiancee is in the same boat - looking to upgrade from a D3000 to the 7X00 series.

Does anyone have a rough idea of when we should expect to see prices drop? Is it fairly sudden or does take a few months/years?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I dunno, having focus that works at -3ev is pretty hot. I wouldn't buy it for that alone over a d7100 but the extra buffer is also a nice incentive.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I've just preordered the D7200 myself, it'll be a hell of an upgrade over my D3200 for birding.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 2, 2015

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

McCoy Pauley posted:

That's my initial reaction on a quick read of the dpreview article. I don't imagine feeling greatly limited by the buffer in the D7100, and the other stuff all seems like incremental upgrades that would be nice, but not nice enough to make me consider a $1200 camera if I could get a nice, used or refurbed D7100 for about half that.

I will have a D7100 for sale as soon as the D7200 is in stores. I take pictures of people doing dumb stuff on motorcycles and nothing is more annoying than seeing a crash happening and then CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK..CLICK.......CLICK..................CLICK.................................................CLICK

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm totally going to be relying on someone into sports photography who sees that new frame buffer fix and knows they need the new one. If I can get a s/h 7100 when I'm in the US, then that's going to be some serious savings compared to me buying over here.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Probably not the right place for this but what devices are going to be able to utilize that NFC technology in the D7200? I'm an Apple guy with a 5s which I understand doesn't even have NFC. Quick Googling tells me the 6 has it but it's locked down to only support Apple Pay? Am I going to need to go Droid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Legdiian posted:

Probably not the right place for this but what devices are going to be able to utilize that NFC technology in the D7200? I'm an Apple guy with a 5s which I understand doesn't even have NFC. Quick Googling tells me the 6 has it but it's locked down to only support Apple Pay? Am I going to need to go Droid?

Most new Android phones have NFC, at least.