Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

shadok posted:

No-one loves "In the Pale Moonlight" more than me but you need a metric assload of backstory to appreciate the story. Even "Duet", and I speak from personal experience here, requires a five-minute history lesson about the occupation, resistance and liberation of Bajor with associated commentary on the militaristic aspect of Cardassian society and the consequences of Federation neutrality.

Eh, Duet I feel can be explained simply by "Bajor is Poland, Cardassia is Germany, and it's the year 1946." I considered In The Pale Moonlight, but I decided that anything seriously involving the wormhole or Dominion was a bad choice for a sampler of the series to someone unfamiliar with Star Trek.

Time to sit down with the ENT episode suggestions and try to remember what the heck any of them actually were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Time to sit down with the ENT episode suggestions and try to remember what the heck any of them actually were.

My ENT suggestion is The Andorian Incident. I think it's a relatively self-contained episode.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Polo-Rican posted:

- lots and lots of orating around tables in beige rooms.

Star Trek: lots and lots of orating around tables in beige rooms

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Cythereal posted:

Here's my tentative list:
TOS: Balance of Terror

While Balance of Terror is a great episode to start with I always find it so hard to pick just one episode of TOS to show people who have never seen it before. TOS episodes are all over the place. Some are pure campy fun with literal comedy sound effects and while others are extremely serious and cerebral.

I know I'm being partial to TOS here, but if your lady friend is up to it, I would show her two TOS episodes, one hokey one (Trouble with Tribbles, I Mudd, Shore Leave, Piece of the Action, etc) and one more serious one like Balance of Terror.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Apple Jax posted:

While Balance of Terror is a great episode to start with I always find it so hard to pick just one episode of TOS to show people who have never seen it before. TOS episodes are all over the place. Some are pure campy fun with literal comedy sound effects and while others are extremely serious and cerebral.

I know I'm being partial to TOS here, but if your lady friend is up to it, I would show her two TOS episodes, one hokey one (Trouble with Tribbles, I Mudd, Shore Leave, Piece of the Action, etc) and one more serious one like Balance of Terror.

I'll ask her, though for me it was a coin flip between Balance of Terror and Errand of Mercy for TOS. One introduces the Romulans, one introduces the Klingons, and both are really good episodes.

All she knows about Star Trek beyond the reboots is that she's seen pictures of all of Star Trek's captains and takes the outside bet of thinking Sisko is the best-looking captain of them all. :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cythereal posted:

The Prime Directive is kinda a big deal in Star Trek, and I felt Who Watches the Watchers is probably the show's best look at it. But yeah, Measure of a Man is probably better.

One thing Voyager got right at least once was when they had to decide what to do when they were, as Janeway put it, on the "other side of the fence", i.e. some other culture is more advanced and could really help Voyager out, but their laws forbid it. They spend most of the show trying to persuade the Space Belgians, wondering whether a trade deal would be acceptable instead, and with most of the crew ready to mutiny because Janeway ultimately decides she can't work against the alien laws.

It was nice to see the show acknowledge that yes, there are good reasons the Prime Directive exists, but there are still serious consequences to it and alien races might not be appreciative of the "bigger picture" when they're dying of some natural disaster and the Federation shrugs their shoulders.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The most "Deep Space Nine" Deep Space Nine episode is Starship Down.

I mean except it doesn't actually take place on the station but gently caress you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

For TOS I'd go with Space Seed as a candidate. It is a bit retrograde but it also shows you who Khan is, and also why he is not a white Englishman.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

For TOS I'd go with Space Seed as a candidate. It is a bit retrograde but it also shows you who Khan is, and also why he is not a white Englishman.

I'd rather not open that can of worms when introducing her to Star Trek, thank you.

I think for ENT I'm going to go with Minefield.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

also maybe you don't want to pick an episode about labour camp deaths for date night

I'm gonna recommend Captain's Holiday. Goofy, fun, picard in hotpants.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Y'all gotta stop trying to introduce people to TV shows by showing them the episodes that are both the best and that require the context of character growth and plot developments for the entire series.

I know, I'll get someone to watch The Wire by showing them All Prologue.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress it, show her the Q episode where he becomes human.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I wouldn't blunt in the pale moonlight by showing it out of context.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I'd say an episode that works fairly well as a standalone is Yesterday's Enterprise, what with Guinan being there to inform both the viewer and the crew that there is something wrong, even if say, you never personally watched Tasha Yar die. Another, if you decided to watch together by order of series, would be Relics - she can be made familiar with Scotty by TOS, and thus at least appreciate the fish out of water story. Plus you get the spectacle of the Dyson Sphere.

As for Enterprise I might say Observer Effect, being one of the few standalones of Season 4. Its got off bits, but its at least a curious enough concept to be watching the show from the perspective of alien explorers studying the crew, rather than the norm.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

As for Enterprise I might say Observer Effect, being one of the few standalones of Season 4. Its got off bits, but its at least a curious enough concept to be watching the show from the perspective of alien explorers studying the crew, rather than the norm.

Unexpected, Silent Enemy and North Star are also decent stand alone episodes (in a series that doesn't have great stand alone episdoes)

DS9 you really have to try and introduce the ancillary characters since they're really what make the series good: Dramatis Personae (introduces crazy Sisko), In the Hands of the Prophets (introduces the insufferable Vedek Winn), or Past Prologue (plain, simple, Garak).

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Astro Nut posted:

I'd say an episode that works fairly well as a standalone is Yesterday's Enterprise, what with Guinan being there to inform both the viewer and the crew that there is something wrong, even if say, you never personally watched Tasha Yar die.

I kinda disagree. Yesterday's Enterprise only works because the viewer who's been watching the rest of the series is so used to seeing the crew how they normally are and are taken aback by how different and millitary-like the crew is. Yeah Guinan says it's not how things are supposed to be, but I don't think that's enough to make it as compelling to a new viewer then it is to someone who has a point of reference. Still not a totally bad episode to show a new viewer, i just don't think it's very standalone at all.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Speaking from personal experience, I still think "Darmok" is the best TNG episode for a thoughtful but inexperienced Trek viewer to watch. It's got the best balance of cerebral, emotional, and exciting notes out of any TNG episode I can think of.

For Voyager, I would actually recommend "Blink of an Eye" but much of the impact of that episode doesn't come from the characters themselves.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
God drat it, you idiot nerds, you don't introduce people to television shows with "What If?" episodes or "Everyone Is Acting Out of Character" episodes.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

armoredgorilla posted:

God drat it, you idiot nerds, you don't introduce people to television shows with "What If?" episodes or "Everyone Is Acting Out of Character" episodes.

Neither of those that I recommended is one of those--quite the opposite in the case with "Darmok," actually. I guess "Blink of an Eye" is a "what if?" episode, in the sense that it makes me ask "what if all of Voyager were as good as Blink of an Eye?"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
That's in response to Yesterday's Enterprise and Dramatis Personae.

Darmok is a terrific introductory episode. Everyone is solidly/excellently in character, it has an interesting A and B plot that are related thematically, and it isn't The Best Episode of The Series, so you're not setting them up for disappointment in everything else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

armoredgorilla posted:

This is actually one of the reasons I picked Timeless for the Voyager episode. It's a really good episode of Voyager in general, a rare good showing by Chakotay and Kim, and I think it introduces most everything pretty well as long as I mention that Seven is an alien cyborg first.

Down to Darmok or Measure of a Man for TNG, I think.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Drumhead, bro.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

A Piece of the Action requires no preamble and is hilarious while also being peak Trek.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Because deep down we all love lists. Most representative/best intro episodes, not best of all time.

TOS
The Trouble With Tribbles
Shore Leave
The Devil in the Dark

TNG
The Measure of a Man
Darmok
The Drumhead

DS9
Captive Pursuit
Civil Defense
Starship Down

VOY
Why do you hate your friend?

ENT
What did they DO to you?

DS9 was actually the list I had the hardest time with. There's a ton of great episodes, but unlike TNG, they really spread out the ensemble cast. It's hard to find episodes where everyone has a moment to shine that AREN'T either two parters or significant lore/story episodes. DS9 does a really good job of having its "filler" episodes focus on separate groupings of characters.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 2, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zurui posted:

A Piece of the Action requires no preamble and is hilarious while also being peak Trek.
I'd do a double bill with a serious show and then this or Tribbles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"The Measure of a Man" is the superior episode, but I feel "The Drumhead" resonates with current events almost perfectly and is therefor a better choice for an intro.

"The Devil in the Dark" is a perfect intro TOS episode I think. It's nice and standalone, doesn't require a ton of knowledge of the characters, and has the optimism thing nailed down by not making the Horta an outright villain.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm going to say The Corbomite Maneuver, Who Watches the Watchers, the Jem Hadar, Blink of an Eye, and The Andorian Incident

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I successfully bargained the girlfriend up to doing three episodes from TOS, TNG, and DS9. :v: My intended schedule:

TOS:
The Devil in the Dark
The Trouble with Tribbles
Balance of Terror

TNG:
The Drumhead
The Measure of a Man
Darmok

DS9:
Duet
Inter Arma Silent Leges (yeah it's basically Bashir only, but I feel it's a better standalone than In The Pale Moonlight)
The Visitor

DS9 is a toughie for me, as most of my favorite ensemble episodes are deeply tied to the Dominion War, which is a can of worms I don't really want to open. Inter Arma Silent Leges is easy enough to explain, since it's all about the Federation, the Romulans, and Section 31.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I dunno, you've got two courtroom dramas out of three for TNG. And TNG didn't really DO that much courtroom stuff! Maybe cycle out Drumhead for something a little different? Maybe The Reunion or Inner Light?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, you've got two courtroom dramas out of three for TNG. And TNG didn't really DO that much courtroom stuff! Maybe cycle out Drumhead for something a little different? Maybe The Reunion or Inner Light?

Maybe just The Drumhead and both parts of The Best of Both Worlds.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I can't believe no one has suggested Data's Day. It's pretty much designed to be an introduction to Trek.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Cythereal posted:

I prefer Measure to Drum, but they're both good. I can see that as a reasonable choice, though maybe you can sell her on Best as a single episode AND get time for Darmok or Inner Light? :wiggle:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cythereal posted:

BOBW is such an enormous outlier for TNG, though. There's so much action in that story, in a show that was never quite as action-packed as TOS, and which eventually got to the point where it felt like even when they weren't in the conference room, they were still in the conference room.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I may be completely alone on this, but I always thought that "Disaster" would be a good intro to TNG. It shows all the main characters in their best/worst situations, has some pretty tense drama, and shows most of what you would need to know about the Enterprise.

Someone also suggested "Cause and Effect". I agree with that, too, as everyone has something to do, it has a really good "what's going on?" vibe, and it's an all around great episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

For Enterprise, episodes like Dead Stop work. There's also I think Brave New World? The one where everyone gets high on pollen, anyway. I'm also a fan of Dawn, where Trip is marooned on a hell planet. Those are all good standalone episodes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Zurui posted:

I can't believe no one has suggested Data's Day. It's pretty much designed to be an introduction to Trek.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cythereal posted:

I successfully bargained the girlfriend up to doing three episodes from TOS, TNG, and DS9. :v: My intended schedule:

I still kind of feel like cherry picking top tier episodes like this is a bad way to introduce someone to a show, especially if you're trying to convince them to watch more. For TNG, I'd almost just go with some random decent third season episodes like Tin Man or Booby Trap. Entertaining, watchable, and way more representative of what most episodes in any given season are going to be like.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Tin Man isn't a good starter because the music is more exciting and dynamic than literally any other TNG episode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

armoredgorilla posted:

Yeah, people in charge of putting The Naked Now at S01E03

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Outrageous Okona or Time's Arrow. Simple.

• Locked thread