Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Dexo posted:

I thought by the end of it he could fire those motherfuckers off at a whim?

In the anime and games, sure, but was masanko- makanso- special beam cannon ever used again in the manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spidder posted:

In the anime and games, sure, but was masanko- makanso- special beam cannon ever used again in the manga?

Cell did it pretty instantly.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I think the Kamehameha is the only technique that's used consistently throughout the series.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Piccolo only uses his techniques once. I mean did he EVER use Hellzone Grenade again, even in the anime? :v:

Brony Hunter fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 2, 2015

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Vegeta too. I think he only uses the Galick Gun, Big Bang Attack, and Final Flash once each.

I choose to believe he never actually develops these as techniques and just gives cool names to big gently caress off Ki blasts on the spot.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 2, 2015

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Gohan always looked best in his Piccolo getup. If Goku was able to do introspection at all, he'd probably be a bit upset that his son was dressed up like the guy who tried to kill him. Did Demon-King Piccolo wear the same outfit? I can't recall.

Yeah, I never really liked how Gohan started wearing the Goku outfit when he got older. The Piccolo getup looked better and helped him look more unique. He should have kept the cape too.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, I never really liked how Gohan started wearing the Goku outfit when he got older. The Piccolo getup looked better and helped him look more unique. He should have kept the cape too.

It's OK, because now we have Tracksuit Gohan to look forward to.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rhonne posted:

Plus, that orange gi was the Turtle School uniform. Kinda weird that someone who was never trained by Roshi was wearing one.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Two Finger posted:

honestly of everything i'm really most surprised gohan wasn't using the special beam cannon left right and centre given piccolo was such a big influence on him

He could even make the special beam cannon useful again by combining it with instant transmission (if Goku ever taught it to him). Kind of like a fusion of both sides, which I think fits Gohan pretty well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

projecthalaxy posted:

It's OK, because now we have Tracksuit Gohan to look forward to.

Gohan has reached peak dadness and He's gotta be only like what 25? 30 tops?

Neo_Crimson posted:

Vegeta too. I think he only uses the Galick Gun, Big Bang Attack, and Final Flash once each.

I choose to believe he never actually develops these as techniques and just gives cool names to big gently caress off Ki blasts on the spot.

I thought Vegeta used Big Bang against both 19 and Buu, And Galick gun against Goku, and one of the Ginyu Force members. Could have been anime filler though...

Rhonne posted:

IIRC there was Anime filler where Piccolo was jealous that Gohan no longer wore the Namekian clothing(Or maybe he was just mocking the Sayaman costume).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Brony Hunter posted:

Piccolo only uses his techniques once. I mean did he EVER use Hellzone Grenade again, even in the anime? :v:

He used Clothes Beam twice, so there's that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dexo posted:

Gohan has reached peak dadness and He's gotta be only like what 25? 30 tops?

Per the wiki, Gohan is 27 as of Revival of F.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

carry on then posted:

He used Clothes Beam twice, so there's that.

Three times, he flashes on a new turban and cape when he gets to Kami's Lookout after android 17 wrecks him.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Three times, he flashes on a new turban and cape when he gets to Kami's Lookout after android 17 wrecks him.

Maybe it's four, he did the same thing when he got back after Cell wrecked him too.

Most prolific skill in the show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

He uses Special Beam Cannon against Cell during the final Kamehameha clash too, shame it didn't do anything

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

projecthalaxy posted:

Wouldn't that require Revival of F to take place 10 years after the end of the Buu arc? Which is the same timeframe as the final chapters of DBZ in which Pan is a toddler?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't he actually create a sword with the clothes beam too?

Man, the Clothes Beam probably is the single most broken ability.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Wouldn't that require Revival of F to take place 10 years after the end of the Buu arc? Which is the same timeframe as the final chapters of DBZ in which Pan is a toddler?

Actually yeah. I misread the Revival of F article, which says the movie takes place several years before the 28th tournament, which occurs in 784. I was reading it as saying the movie happened in 784. So yeah, early 20s.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't he actually create a sword with the clothes beam too?

Man, the Clothes Beam probably is the single most broken ability.

Clothes Beam seems to act like a Replicator from Star Trek.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

The wiki might be listing dub ages, so knock 3 or 4 years off, maybe? He's 10 when he kills Cell in the Japanese dub.

I actually quite like that he uses Goku's gi later in the Buu arc, but if there was ever a time for him to use it, it probably should have been the Cell fight where the whole theme was "surpassing Goku" and he looked neat as hell in it in the movie where he's Teen Gohan. (Bojack maybe?)

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Can other Namekians generate outfits on the spot, or is that some crazy poo poo Piccolo came up with on his own?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, is GT still canon?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think it's just a goofy thing Toriyama came up with to explain Piccolo's access fine tailoring whilst being an anti-hero hermit demon slug man who lives in the desert

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Can other Namekians generate outfits on the spot, or is that some crazy poo poo Piccolo came up with on his own?

Kami did it for Goku in DB.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

mmkay posted:

A 5 minute start-up time is pretty abysmal in terms of usability in battle.

on a related note, i'm expecting vegeta to begin charging his final flash in dbza and a smashcut to cell kicking him into the air while trunks shakes his head in disbelief that he'd try such a retarded attack

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Two Finger posted:

on a related note, i'm expecting vegeta to begin charging his final flash in dbza and a smashcut to cell kicking him into the air while trunks shakes his head in disbelief that he'd try such a retarded attack

There's no way they don't parody German dub Cell's "Oh poo poo" response to Vegeta's Final Flash.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

next to goku's spirit bomb it has to be the longest charge time of any attack, and it's not like anyone else is even keeping cell busy
i just can't see cell standing there and taking it, unless he does the 'do you wanna see something cool?' card

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

In It For The Tank posted:

There's no way they don't parody German dub Cell's "Oh poo poo" response to Vegeta's Final Flash.

I always really liked that bit. No matter how strong Cell was, a huge fuckoff beam to the face is still a bad idea.

IIRC, Cell tells him to use his most powerful attack, and watch him tank it like a badass.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Brony Hunter posted:

He uses the Weighted Clothes technique in every fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Cell was feeling pretty cocky about the whole "being perfect" thing and told Vegeta to hit him as hard as he could.

Vegeta did.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

BlitzBlast posted:

Cell was feeling pretty cocky about the whole "being perfect" thing and told Vegeta to hit him as hard as he could.

Vegeta did.
Yeah an important thing to remember is that he has the traits of all the most powerful characters in the series, which includes all the people who stand back and watch as their opponents power up.

VanSandman posted:

I always really liked that bit. No matter how strong Cell was, a huge fuckoff beam to the face is still a bad idea.

IIRC, Cell tells him to use his most powerful attack, and watch him tank it like a badass.
Yeah, even though he mocks Vegeta for thinking he's actually dead, the entire event shows he's not outright invincible. Basically shows that even when you're the strongest kid in the playground by a mile, there's still a limit to the arrogance you can get away with.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the final flash scene was great because it showed that vegeta wasn't a complete dumbass and could play cell's ego. Of course this happens after he makes arguably the dumbest decision in the whole series.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No one remembers Vegeta's dumb thing because Goku did a dumber thing. Oh, that Goku always one-upping Vegeta.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tae posted:

No one remembers Vegeta's dumb thing because Goku did a dumber thing. Oh, that Goku always one-upping Vegeta.

Gohan's was dumber. Even Goku was like what the gently caress are you doing kid, stop playing around and kill him

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Basically the same thing he did to Frieza.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, is GT still canon?

It is semi-canon. Toriyama is taking the series in a different direction but GT is still making appearances in games and other side media. You can just consider GT as a divergent timelime where Beerus never went to Earth seeking the Super Saiyan God.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

Everyone remembers Vegeta's dumb thing but it is overshadowed by the fact the Android/Cell saga can also be called the Vegeta gets owned repeatedly saga.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Basically the same thing he did to Frieza.

Goku was trying to defeat Frieza without killing him by forcing him into submission, whereas Gohan was just loving around with Cell to make him squirm; it is kinda different.

I did enjoy Cell getting his comeuppance before he goes ~super perfect~ though, he was by far the most grotesque villain the series had and it was really cathartic to see him get a taste of his own body horror, even if it did kinda blow up in Gohan's (or Goku's :v:) face at the end

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Saiyan blood makes you arrogant. Trunks is the exception...sorta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dexo posted:

Gohan's was dumber. Even Goku was like what the gently caress are you doing kid, stop playing around and kill him

Goku's plan was basically get Gohan to do that pissed off and crazy thing he does, and Cell obliged by traumatizing him into being pissed off and crazy, so Gohan being an sadistic rear end in a top hat at the time felt appropreate.

• Locked thread