Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Apoffys posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with book two in the Checquy Files? I pre-ordered it last week because it had a release date this summer, then the next day Amazon pushed the date back to 2016 and now it's been pushed back again (to 2020!). I just checked the author's website and it apparently hasn't been updated since 2013 (at which point he was making good progress it seems).

Sill showing as June release for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Sill showing as June release for me

Amazon is showing me January 26, 2016. Incidentally, the author is definitely still alive, for what that's worth:
https://twitter.com/DenimAlley

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Those are all speculative dates, most likely. He has a day job, he's still working on it. Whenever he actually finishes it, you'll hear about it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just finished the second Rivers of London book and I've got to ask, is the protagonist always going to be this dim? I mean, I can buy that characters have blind spots, but falling into a torrid affair with a person of interest in a murder investigation and not twigging to something being seriously off about the whole thing until the bodies are literally piling up in front of him was kinda of a stretch.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Just finished the second Rivers of London book and I've got to ask, is the protagonist always going to be this dim? I mean, I can buy that characters have blind spots, but falling into a torrid affair with a person of interest in a murder investigation and not twigging to something being seriously off about the whole thing until the bodies are literally piling up in front of him was kinda of a stretch.

In fairness, she didn't really realize she was the murderer either. There's also the possibility she was (unconsciously) messing with his head, though I don't recall for certain any more.

Peter's not an idiot, but he is prone to distraction. (He arguably has ADHD or something similar.) Personally I think it's brilliant, because in most books of this stripe, him being shoved into Paperwork Division at the start of Rivers of London would have been a grave injustice because he is actually the Chosen Most Amazing Hero or whatever, whereas here it actually makes a lot of sense. He's capable of flashes of absolute brilliance, but he has a hard time staying on task, which makes it more difficult for him to be a good cop or a good magician, and it's probably the reason he did so poorly in school.

He does get better with time and experience, but it never really goes away, nor should it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Pete's a giant spaz but unlike Harry his gooniness is endearing and relatable to me wereas Harry just gets irritating.

Can anybody vouch for "The Wolves of London" by Mark Morris? I just saw it in the bookstore today and it caught my eye.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

docbeard posted:

In fairness, she didn't really realize she was the murderer either. There's also the possibility she was (unconsciously) messing with his head, though I don't recall for certain any more.

If it was his head being messed with I could buy that, but nothing like that is ever mentioned. Nobody ever even calls him on being a complete idiot for missing the obvious, but he's just a complete dunce about it. "Hey, there's a clear connection between dead jazz men and the women they were seeing. Here's one of those ladies now, and she's coming on to me real hard. Should I, a) be super suspicious and worried, or b) bang her. Hmm. Hrmmmmmmm.

I'm not asking that the main character be a genius, but when something is telegraphed that hard in the first few chapters, and they don't pick up on it until the climax (rimshot) it starts to feel contrived really quickly.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Skippy McPants posted:

If it was his head being messed with I could buy that, but nothing like that is ever mentioned. Nobody ever even calls him on being a complete idiot for missing the obvious, but he's just a complete dunce about it. "Hey, there's a clear connection between dead jazz men and the women they were seeing. Here's one of those ladies now, and she's coming on to me real hard. Should I, a) be super suspicious and worried, or b) bang her. Hmm. Hrmmmmmmm.

I'm not asking that the main character be a genius, but when something is telegraphed that hard in the first few chapters, and they don't pick up on it until the climax (rimshot) it starts to feel contrived really quickly.

Part of the thing with those books is that you can't trust everything Peter says. He keeps telling the reader how clever he is and meanwhile everyone else around him, especially Leslie, is 10x more competent. He mainly gets by on pluckiness basically. That said, the jazz vampires had shown the ability to mess with people's heads so it's not that much of a leap. The actual height of his stupidity in that book is not the vampires, but the part where he tries to be clever with Abigail and manages to get outwitted by a prepubescent girl into training her in magic.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Scorchy posted:

Part of the thing with those books is that you can't trust everything Peter says. He keeps telling the reader how clever he is and meanwhile everyone else around him, especially Leslie, is 10x more competent. He mainly gets by on pluckiness basically. That said, the jazz vampires had shown the ability to mess with people's heads so it's not that much of a leap. The actual height of his stupidity in that book is not the vampires, but the part where he tries to be clever with Abigail and manages to get outwitted by a prepubescent girl into training her in magic.
Why isn't Leslie the protagonist, anyways?

I only read the first book but I found Peter to be pretty dull.

Mars4523 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 1, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mars4523 posted:

Why isn't Leslie the protagonist, anyways?

Keep reading. You'll find out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leslie is a much better character then Peter, yeah. The unreliable narrator thing is cute but it doesn't endear me to Peter any more.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Leslie is a much better character then Peter, yeah. The unreliable narrator thing is cute but it doesn't endear me to Peter any more.

Hey, nightingale is even better at things than leslie! why isn't he the protagonist?

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

awesmoe posted:

Hey, nightingale is even better at things than leslie! why isn't he the protagonist?
Nightingale the veteran who has done it all before. He's the mentor, which is a vital role. But the series starts with introducing us to two rookies, where one is a good copper and the other is Peter. I think he literally ruminates on how easy the circumstances could have been flipped if he was the one to get coffee instead of her. So, why's he the lead?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Mars4523 posted:

Nightingale the veteran who has done it all before. He's the mentor, which is a vital role. But the series starts with introducing us to two rookies, where one is a good copper and the other is Peter. I think he literally ruminates on how easy the circumstances could have been flipped if he was the one to get coffee instead of her. So, why's he the lead?

Because stories about the specialest dude ever born fulfilling his/her destiny to be #1 are boring as poo poo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Leslie is the better cop, but Peter's the better wizard. Partly because the traits that make him a bad copper (absentmindedness, idle curiosity, etc.) make him a better wizard (better able to resist compulsion, detect vestigia), but also partly because Peter underestimates himself (as does nearly everyone else); when there's a real crisis Peter consistently outperforms everyone's expectations (well, except Nightingale's).

Peter's also more creative than Leslie.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 1, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mars4523 posted:

Because it's more interesting when the book is about a fuckup, imo. Peter is a lovely street cop who's on the verge of an exciting career in desk work when he lucks into a position as a sorcerer's apprentice that just happens to also let him be a 'real' cop. That is, imo, much more interesting than a story about an actual good cop falling into the same thing.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Khizan posted:

Because it's more interesting when the book is about a fuckup, imo. Peter is a lovely street cop who's on the verge of an exciting career in desk work when he lucks into a position as a sorcerer's apprentice that just happens to also let him be a 'real' cop. That is, imo, much more interesting than a story about an actual good cop falling into the same thing.

Yes, we hardly need another book about, "turns out he's SPECIAL" like Dresden. Admittedly, Dresden is so entertaining in spite of the tropes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I did get the impression that the jazz vampire had him under a spell. Perhaps without even consciously realizing it. But I don't otherwise remember much about that book now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Megazver posted:

I did get the impression that the jazz vampire had him under a spell. Perhaps without even consciously realizing it. But I don't otherwise remember much about that book now.

Yeah that is almost exactly what was happening. He did have slight cauliflower brain because of the feeding. Plus its not like the other victims had no changes to there behavior before they died either

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rumda posted:

Yeah that is almost exactly what was happening. He did have slight cauliflower brain because of the feeding. Plus its not like the other victims had no changes to there behavior before they died either

If you didn't figure this out before, you should have gotten it at the same time he did when his mom went ballistic.

It's interesting to see how some folks just hate Peter as a protagonist though. If you hate him for his incompetence/not being Leslie and you read the first two then you should read through book 3 and then give up/be OK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Leslie is the better cop, but Peter's the better wizard.

This is really hard for me to buy with the way Leslie got into magic. Peter is a creative person but he shows a lack of concentration and focus which makes him worse at being a wizard. His talent is obviously supposed to be that he's non-standard and can approach things from a different angle but I don't think it makes him better.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Protagonists are usually less interesting than the side characters by default. Luke Skywalker to Han Solo, Batman to The Joker, Fry to everyone else. It's this idea that in order for the audience to be immersed fully, the protagonist needs to be blank in order to easier project upon. Naturally it translates into the protagonist being dumb/bland/etc.

Oh and as for all the :spergin: over Peter not getting how he was dating a sex vampire, leme settle this once and for all by stating the obvious: he was thinking with his penis and not with his head.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I... like Peter just fine and have no strong feelings about Leslie.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Benny the Snake posted:

Protagonists are usually less interesting than the side characters by default. Luke Skywalker to Han Solo, Batman to The Joker, Fry to everyone else. It's this idea that in order for the audience to be immersed fully, the protagonist needs to be blank in order to easier project upon. Naturally it translates into the protagonist being dumb/bland/etc.

Oh and as for all the :spergin: over Peter not getting how he was dating a sex vampire, leme settle this once and for all by stating the obvious: he was thinking with his penis and not with his head.

She's like a tractor beam of hotness.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think Peter's a fantastic protagonist specifically because of his flaws. They make him more interesting, not less.

I would totally read a series about Lesley (not 'Leslie' goddammit American publishers) too, mind.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've only just started the second book, myself, but I think it's clear that Peter does have one thing Lesley, it seems, does not.

The bottom half of his face.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've only just started the second book, myself, but I think it's clear that Peter does have one thing Lesley, it seems, does not.

The bottom half of his face.

Not empty quoting and I laughed out loud in a fast food line

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yeah, Peter absolutely has the better nose for police work these days.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I would love a set of Nightingale and Leslie side stories like Dresden's Side Jobs.

The Massacre at Ettersberg in detail.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
so I'm not sure if it really counts as urban fantasy since it is set in the 1300s instead of modern times, but I want to drop a plug for Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (http://www.amazon.com/Son-of-the-Morning/dp/0575115157)

You get dropped in England and France at the start of the 100 years war, with from what I can tell painstaking attention to detail to the realities of life at the time. The magic side of it is that God is real, Satan is real, and Lucifer is real - Lucifer is an egalitarian, God is an authoritarian. God, through his angels, manifestly supports the divine right of kings and the "you feed us, we fight for you in war and pray for you in peace" mythos the nobility used. Catherdals house angels, the relics of saints work, and rituals and prayers get results. Lucifer is some sort of democratic communist and supports peasant revolts and wants to end the feudal system and God's dominion over the earth and man. Demons slip loose (or are summoned) from hell and agitate the commoners, battle angles, and provide weapons to the oppressed. Satan is hell's jailer and has his own agenda. The AntiChrist has been born at a time when Edward III is making war on Phillip VI, and there is a whole lot of political skullduggery going on as at least 12 human factions and 6 divine factions are all scrambling for various relics, artifacts, and weapons to bring their side into ascendance.

Prose is a little run on, dialogue reminds me of A Knight's Tale - more movie funnies and one liners than you'd expect but it keeps it punchy. But overall it is a lot of fun so far. It's pretty long too - the book had been building towards a denouement, both in pacing and narrative threads, and when that was done I looked and was on'y 55% of the way through.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fried Chicken posted:

Prose is a little run on, dialogue reminds me of A Knight's Tale - more movie funnies and one liners than you'd expect but it keeps it punchy. But overall it is a lot of fun so far. It's pretty long too - the book had been building towards a denouement, both in pacing and narrative threads, and when that was done I looked and was on'y 55% of the way through.

Have you read Stephen Brust's Taltos series? If so, is the dialogue similar in quality?

Because Taltos has some really amazing dialogue.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Peter's "special skill" is that he is dumb enough to do things that proper cops/wizards wouldn't even consider trying. It's like the girl wizard in Discworld who used teleportation magic without using an anchor which is considered impossible/unspeakably dangerous but she didn't know that so it worked fine.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

Son of the Morning
This is a really enjoyable book. The length isn't a detractor in any way - hell, you'll be sorry it's over when you're done reading it.
Then you find out it's supposed to be start of a trilogy.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Fried Chicken posted:

so I'm not sure if it really counts as urban fantasy since it is set in the 1300s instead of modern times, but I want to drop a plug for Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (http://www.amazon.com/Son-of-the-Morning/dp/0575115157)

You get dropped in England and France at the start of the 100 years war, with from what I can tell painstaking attention to detail to the realities of life at the time. The magic side of it is that God is real, Satan is real, and Lucifer is real - Lucifer is an egalitarian, God is an authoritarian. God, through his angels, manifestly supports the divine right of kings and the "you feed us, we fight for you in war and pray for you in peace" mythos the nobility used. Catherdals house angels, the relics of saints work, and rituals and prayers get results. Lucifer is some sort of democratic communist and supports peasant revolts and wants to end the feudal system and God's dominion over the earth and man. Demons slip loose (or are summoned) from hell and agitate the commoners, battle angles, and provide weapons to the oppressed. Satan is hell's jailer and has his own agenda. The AntiChrist has been born at a time when Edward III is making war on Phillip VI, and there is a whole lot of political skullduggery going on as at least 12 human factions and 6 divine factions are all scrambling for various relics, artifacts, and weapons to bring their side into ascendance.

Thanks for posting this, this is my poo poo. Just bought it :v:

The one star review containing only the word "Blasphemous" made me buy it even faster

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

That book isn't on Play books and now I'm sad. I prefer not to buy from Amazon when possible

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I got a new copy of "Broken Homes" from the Rivers of London series and I've noticed quite a few pages between 170 and 200 have smeared printing. Is that consistent with all copies or should I get a new copy?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yessssssssssssss

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I hope that guy is never described as wearing a scarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I hope that guy is never described as wearing a scarf.

Yessssssssssssss