Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, Hurting People was definitely nature for both Driver and Jacket, but only Jacket started doing it for a thrill as opposed to Driver doing it (returning to it likely, but we don't see why he did before the movie) out of necessity.

Jacket has a fantastic capacity for violence and just likes hurting people.

Driver has a fantastic capacity for violence but tries to use it to 'good' ends. At the end of the day, Driver did everything he did to protect a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

Not gonna post any because I'm on my phone and they have identifying info I'd have to edit out and, again, they're really amateur because I just cludge images together and throw in a filter that makes it fit with the rest of the poster, but like I've cut out Jacket from this and desaturated him aside from red highlights for one:

is it just me or are his fingers terrifyingly long

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Milky Moor posted:

Jacket has a fantastic capacity for violence and just likes hurting people.

Driver has a fantastic capacity for violence but tries to use it to 'good' ends. At the end of the day, Driver did everything he did to protect a family.

Jacket has a fantastic capacity for violence and uses it to save the great land of 'Murica from evil Russians :colbert:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cowcaster posted:

The driver was pretty hosed up too man

What about the dude in Shoot Em Up

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I really want to buy this but I also want to save money. Where's the best deal for this preorder currently?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure what the absolute lowest is, but GMG at least has it for 30% off (10% base plus a 20% code available on the site).

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

The Crotch posted:

Not sure what the absolute lowest is, but GMG at least has it for 30% off (10% base plus a 20% code available on the site).

Well, poo poo. I paid full price - 10% not knowing about the GMG deal. Oh well, still happy to pay a meager $16 for HM2.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

explosivo posted:

I really want to buy this but I also want to save money. Where's the best deal for this preorder currently?

Green Man Gaming has it for 10% off preorder plus a 20% coupon that will stack on top of it. Here's the coupon: KPMN32-6VRM69-6INRND

E: beaten but I put in the coupon :P

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The code doesn't seem to be working for me on top of the existing 10% off, am I missing something or did they lock this down?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Nuuvem has it cheap too, $8.86. They also have the Digital Deluxe version if you want it.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2688-hotline-miami-2-wrong-number

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

explosivo posted:

The code doesn't seem to be working for me on top of the existing 10% off, am I missing something or did they lock this down?
Huh. Worked for me just fine the other day, but now, yeah, seems not to work.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Jacket is cool because we don't need to know anything about him. We just kill Russians. Unlike Grand Theft Auto that needs to create an entire backstory for all its characters and most of the time falls flat. Like did you really care about Niko's dark and gritty past? Did it convince you to go around and kill people for money?

Hotline Miami is great because it forgoes a complicated storyline in lieu of the simple: get a call, hurt people.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ayn rand hand job posted:

What about the dude in Shoot Em Up

He's a trickster god.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, but I also want to get in on that Payday 2 DLC which apparently GOG doesn't get?

And I'm not keen about sending my ID to the devs.
I've sent an email asking just how just much info they need. If it's just a name and I'm allowed to blur the rest of the details out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Accordion Man posted:

Nuuvem has it cheap too, $8.86. They also have the Digital Deluxe version if you want it.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/2688-hotline-miami-2-wrong-number

I tried using this link, but it's saying it's unavailable in my region (UK). Any Britgoons had success with this? Failing that, anyone able to help me get a copy?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Asked in the Steam trading thread but also asking again here, looking to get a copy of Hotline Miami 2, I'll trade keys or whatever for it.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jdmoor/

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Sorry if it's already been discussed, haven't had to deal with this whole game banned in Aus thing for a while. If I find a DRM free version from one those GOG like sites, steam will have no issues unlocking it for me right? Failing that if someone were to gift it to me (if that even works) I'm happy to pay whatever the price cause I'm keen as gently caress for this game.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Crappers posted:

Sorry if it's already been discussed, haven't had to deal with this whole game banned in Aus thing for a while. If I find a DRM free version from one those GOG like sites, steam will have no issues unlocking it for me right? Failing that if someone were to gift it to me (if that even works) I'm happy to pay whatever the price cause I'm keen as gently caress for this game.

Apparently there's no issues with unlocking it in Aus but I haven't been able to find a single online retailer who'll sell to Australia.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Ledgy posted:

Woah gently caress, I just blew my mind. I was running through the game for funsies, and then I realized.
Vengeance's first room is the exact same place Biker goes in Resolution. Jacket really was THIS close to solving the case, jesus.

Look at the locations the game gives you when you first start the levels. Vengeance takes place at south 86th street and resolution is on north 87th place.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've been reading that digital comic they're putting out in the run up to the game's release and followed a bit of the publicity stuff around the game, and I like the idea that each of the players/factions in Hotline Miami 2 are reflecting an interpretation of the main character in the first game.

The gang of copy-cats mostly see Jacket as a hero for taking on the mob, as though there was something noble in his intentions. The one fat guy in the kilt sees 50 Blessings as standing up for America and freedom (in the most pig-ignorant, bloody-minded way). The method actor is unnerving because he acts out the brutal violence in the film in such a detached manner that he seems to blur the line between dispassionate acting and the real experience.

There haven't been comics for the two remaining characters, which I think are a detective and a journalist, but previews seem to suggest the detective is burned out trying to keep a lid on the violence that's spiraling out of control in the city while the journalist doesn't really want to hurt anyone and just wants to know the truth about what's going on.

What's cool about it is obviously these different takes also correlate to different takes on the game itself. Hotline Miami was quite provocative, and certainly HM2 managed to generate some outrage with at least one of its previews (in a way that kind of reinforces the point of the method actor character, at least). Everyone has an interpretation of what the game's "really about" and what parts of the muddied, confusing story appeals to them most. Even what actually happened isn't very clear, what with Biker and all. Making a sequel that's a response to different ways people reacted to the first game is the sort of strong, artistic motivation you don't see as often as you should with games.

It's really only a pity that I didn't find the game itself very fun. I tried it once and found the controls too unwieldy and the gameplay too repetitive and frustrating (especially after dying ten times on the same level). I can see why it appeals to people and how they'd enjoy the strong, arcade-style challenge, but even with all the cool atmosphere I just couldn't enjoy actually playing it.

This stuff is all probably really obvious and has been talked about a bunch, but I thought it was pretty neat.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 2, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Dolash posted:

It's really only a pity that I didn't find the game itself very fun. I tried it once and found the controls too unwieldy

Disregarding the abject shame you should feel - were you using a controller, or keyboard and mouse? Keyboard and mouse I was able to zoom through with the grace of a murderous gazelle, whereas with a controller I was bumping into things and missing pickups.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
someone in the payday mumble told us you could autolock on targets :monocle:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can lock onto people in HLM1 by clicking middle mouse on them, if that's what you mean.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

How did people complete the game without autolock?!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
by pressing R

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
There are only a few instances where I'll lock onto people, like the ones crouched behind tables in that one mission with the bomb.

I remember when I used to meticulously plan out my every move, take the levels slow and execute on my actions step by step. This is not the way to play HLM.

The way to play and succeed at the game is by running nonstop and going at everything like a loving berserker! It doesn't matter what weapon you pick up, just take a glance and do your best and if you die then the run wasn't meant to be. Keep that combo going and your boldness up and your rating will be a good one

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

There are only a few instances where I'll lock onto people, like the ones crouched behind tables in that one mission with the bomb.

I remember when I used to meticulously plan out my every move, take the levels slow and execute on my actions step by step. This is not the way to play HLM.

The way to play and succeed at the game is by running nonstop and going at everything like a loving berserker! It doesn't matter what weapon you pick up, just take a glance and do your best and if you die then the run wasn't meant to be. Keep that combo going and your boldness up and your rating will be a good one

The lock on actually can be detrimental if your not using a gun, and will make you miss every drat time if the targeting is moving in any direction other than directly at you.

Hitting the levels like a whirling dervish and switching weapons as often as humanly possible in order dismember every single enemy in new and interesting way is basically the only way to play. Even if you get chewed up a whole bunch, when you get it right it makes it all worth it.

Also don't ignore guns. A lot of people do, but they're there to be used and are an incredibly handy tool. You don't have to just shoot your way through the level just because you touched a gun. They're a great way to keep combos going, get enemies to move where you want, counter a horde bum-rushing you, take out hard to reach bad guys or just toss at somebody to knock on them on their rear end.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I've been replaying HLM1 recently, and one thing starts to really annoy me: mobs have no collision detection in relation to Jacket, so I often find myself standing in the same place as the white-suited Ruski, both of us unable to land a killing hit. Super frustrating when you rush into room, effortlessly turn three dudes into pap with your machete, and land in the corner of the place, with fourth dude who you've missed, now violating each other's personal space. I guess it happens because I tend to play with Tony mask a lot, and using guns as rarely as possible.

e: grammar is hard

laserghost fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 2, 2015

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

laserghost posted:

I've been replaying HLM1 recently, and one thing starts to really annoy me: mobs have no collision detection in relation to Jacket, so I often find myself standing in the same place as the white-suited Ruski, both of us unable to land a killing hit. Super frustrating when you rush into room, effortlessly turn three dudes into pap with your machete, and land in the corner of the place, ending in the corner of the room with fourth dude who you've missed, now violating each other's personal space. I guess it happens because I tend to play with Tony mask a lot, and using guns as rarely as possible.

When that happens I tend to rip out the guys throat. Done a few throat-rip only runs... Well, tried to.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I got a lot worse at the game when they updated it so you could be shot while performing executions on the ground. :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Joke's on me for buying the special vinyl edition; hasn't even shipped yet.

They said the second wave of shipping was supposed to go out in March. Its March and they haven't sent out the first yet.

Bah. :argh: Why couldn't they just email us steam codes instead of having some dumb scratch off?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Zaphod42 posted:

Joke's on me for buying the special vinyl edition; hasn't even shipped yet.

They said the second wave of shipping was supposed to go out in March. Its March and they haven't sent out the first yet.

Bah. :argh: Why couldn't they just email us steam codes instead of having some dumb scratch off?

I got an email saying mine was shipped like 4 days ago. Though the tracking number doesn't seem to have updated yet.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Geight posted:

I got a lot worse at the game when they updated it so you could be shot while performing executions on the ground. :smith:

I knew something had changed :argh:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I knew something had changed :argh:

Yeah I can totally understand why they made the change but I miss giving some dude a discount lobotomy while his pal just emptied his gun in futile terror over my head. Now I have to think a bit more when it comes to executing somebody!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Is there some sort of release schedule for the comics?

Also is it just me or is the updated version a lot glitchier than the original? I didn't play the updated version all that much until I went back this week to get the last two cheevos (ugh Always On Top) and I noticed a lot of jankiness that I don't remember being there when I first played through it

e: just when I post this I notice that the fourth comic is up

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

memy posted:

Is there some sort of release schedule for the comics?
4th issue just came out today. I assume the last issue will be a few days before or on the day of the game's release.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah the best way to beat Hot & Heavy used to be, when you went into the place with all the glass windows you knock down the guy right in front of the elevator, start an execution, and wait for everybody to unload their clips so you're get a billion Exposure points and not have to worry about Russians with guns. I have't tried it since they did the change.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Abyssal Squid posted:

Yeah the best way to beat Hot & Heavy used to be, when you went into the place with all the glass windows you knock down the guy right in front of the elevator, start an execution, and wait for everybody to unload their clips so you're get a billion Exposure points and not have to worry about Russians with guns. I have't tried it since they did the change.

This is where I'm stuck. :negative:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I can still fondly remember getting A+ on Assault with Carl. Jeez, I want to play out the backstory of all of the 50 blessings operatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

I haven't even gotten an email about my record shipping and I ordered back in December :(

• Locked thread