Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
well i am sitting in cash and the claims i make are trivially falsifiable, so much so that they have been falsified in this very thread!

but let me tell you about trading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ohgodwhat posted:

I actually tested his strategy in Quantopian the last time he posted it, and it was a loser (surprise!)

Edit:
From 9/1/2010 until 2/25/2015, buying SPY at 10:30 and selling 1 minute before close, with $0.02 slippage:

Total Returns
:siren:0.6%:siren:
Benchmark Returns (buying and holding SPY)
115.6%

Also, the close price is only closer to the high price than the low price 60% of the time for SPY over the same date range.

Essentially, Jack is full of poo poo.

:golfclap: I nominate this post for post of the year.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
CYCC lucky timing pump & dump turd of the year. In at 0.83 and out at 1.68 2 days later, and now it's over $2. No news at all

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

nebby posted:

I haven't run the analysis recently but WTW just got crushed in after hours and at that price *might* be a good value play regardless of how lovely their business prospects are. Someone who actually has their poo poo together should run the numbers though. They look like a dying business but if they manage to implement the cost cutting the CEO is aiming for it could buy them some time to turn poo poo around.

Their balance sheet is a disaster....$2.9b in debt, $1.5b in assets. The high-end of their guidance is 70 cents a share this year, which at the current price of around $11.50 translates into 16x 2015 earnings. Seems like a fool's bet to me, but maybe I am missing something.

greasyhands posted:

CYCC lucky timing pump & dump turd of the year. In at 0.83 and out at 1.68 2 days later, and now it's over $2. No news at all

good luck with the investigation

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Arkane posted:

good luck with the investigation

I don't think my $800 no commission robinhood play trade will draw the attention of the SEC

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Arkane posted:

Their balance sheet is a disaster....$2.9b in debt, $1.5b in assets. The high-end of their guidance is 70 cents a share this year, which at the current price of around $11.50 translates into 16x 2015 earnings. Seems like a fool's bet to me, but maybe I am missing something.
Ah yeah their debt load is pretty terrible then. Right now the stock I think is trading way less than 1 times revenue, but they have ridiculous operational overhead. The main thesis of the investment would be if they are able to figure out a way to stem the bleeding of their subscriber base. If they can do that and improve their margins then it could turn around quickly. (If not, they'll be dead soon.)

FWIW I am not interested, but we were getting complains that this thread became solar chat so I thought I'd throw it out.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Hi there, I just invested $500 for an individual fund at Fidelity.com. I wanted some advice on if this is a good website to use since I use them for my IRA and they've been trading some mutual funds while at my old company until I rolled it all over. Also should I start with small stocks or just go for the more expensive ones I think might be good later?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If you are talking about your retirement accounts, you should come to the retirement thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

This is the gambling individual stock trading thread for people who have extra money.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

slap me silly posted:

If you are talking about your retirement accounts, you should come to the retirement thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

This is the gambling individual stock trading thread for people who have extra money.

Yeah I have both, but I opened a brokerage account there as well. That's really why I posted. Had $500 and wanted to invest it in some stocks but I'm a literal baby at it and all the reading I'm doing is telling me to research.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Toadsniff posted:

Yeah I have both, but I opened a brokerage account there as well. That's really why I posted. Had $500 and wanted to invest it in some stocks but I'm a literal baby at it and all the reading I'm doing is telling me to research.

Honestly toadsniff, this thread is the worst imaginable place for a new person to begin their research. It's filled with idiot degenerate gamblers (myself included). The entire thread is basically a case study of cognitive dissonance

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There are a lot of good posts in here if you can separate out content from white noise.

My portfolio is up 68% YTD and 305% since the start of 2014, and I've posted pretty much all of my big trades in this thread as I was making them.

There's at least a couple of other posters who have identified deeply under-priced stocks and made gigantic returns as well.

I'd say this thread has been incredibly great recently, and questions/ideas are very very very welcome.

rocinante
Jun 16, 2007
Anyone follow Dominion Diamond Corporation? Looks like there's demand for ethically mined diamonds and this company's financials seem attractive, it's trading at slightly over book value with a PEG of 0.46. Looks like it's been beating earnings estimates recently as well.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

greasyhands posted:

Honestly toadsniff, this thread is the worst imaginable place for a new person to begin their research. It's filled with idiot degenerate gamblers (myself included). The entire thread is basically a case study of cognitive dissonance

Sounds like fun, I'm not much of a gambler so the Mutual Funds route looks like the way to go for steady gains over time at least with my previous employer, it gained $13 in 3 years giving me over $3000 just sitting on it.

Anyway I'm looking at trending stocks and DHX keeps coming up as a for sure bet for a $1 to $2 in the next few weeks.

I have no idea what I'm talking about really.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shrike82 posted:

I opened a position in TRN last week right before their Q4 earnings release. I'm up ~13%.

The firm produces rolling stock used to transport commodities (e.g., oil) across the States.
They had been on an upward trajectory for the past couple years due to growing demand for rolling stock plus expectations of updated regulatory requirements which would force users of tank cars etc. to purchase newer, safer versions. TRN also trades at a discount (multiples-wise) to peers like GBX and ARII.

They took a big hit late last year due to a combination of falling oil prices and litigation related to one of their road products. I don't believe falling oil prices will have a material impact on their short or mid-term income given the huge backlog of demand for their products plus the fact that energy-related products represent a relatively small sliver of their revenues. I also don't believe the product failure lawsuit will hold up in appeals. I believe news related to that is coming out next month which may be the catalyst for further upside. They've set aside a billion dollars for the lawsuit so if it turns out well for them, they'll be free to throw that back into expanding or share repurchases.

Anyone following them or have any thoughts?

Earnings look awesome, the backlog looks great too, and it's trading at an attractive multiple. However, they have a huge potential legal liability with the guardrail thing that they have not incorporated into their balance sheet:

http://abcnews.go.com/International/canadian-city-sues-us-guardrail-maker-500-million/story?id=29275777 (that story mentions a Canadian city filing another case...the primary piece of litigation is a $525m judgment that a jury has already made against them, and that they plan to appeal)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/business/troubled-guardrail-maker-goes-on-a-lobbying-blitz.html?_r=0 (they're starting to donate massive amounts of money, which doesn't exactly ring of honesty)

On the conference call, their legal counsel gave about a 5-10 minute spiel saying that they were going to win the case, but reading the news reports it doesn't look as clean-cut as he made it out to be (given that with one of the tests potentially failed). Speaking myself, this scares me off, but I do know that buying at times of perceived weakness like that can see multiple expansion back to normal after the bad news passes.

What is disappointing is that it's such a small part of their business, yet could lead to judgments against them that are massively larger than the earnings of the entire company.

edit: where did you see that they set aside a billion dollars? Didn't see/hear that mentioned.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 1, 2015

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Toadsniff posted:

Anyway I'm looking at trending stocks and DHX keeps coming up as a for sure bet for a $1 to $2 in the next few weeks.

A sure bet just like putting it on black at roulette.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

greasyhands posted:

I'm a perma-pessimist too, preferring to be pleasantly surprised when things are actually going my way, but I'd tend to agree with Arkane by saying this is probably one of the saner places to get trading commentary on the Internet. Not saying it's perfect, but we don't tend to fall victim to the wild enthusiasm/sky is falling dichotomy other places love.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Sokrateez posted:

I'm a perma-pessimist too, preferring to be pleasantly surprised when things are actually going my way, but I'd tend to agree with Arkane by saying this is probably one of the saner places to get trading commentary on the Internet. Not saying it's perfect, but we don't tend to fall victim to the wild enthusiasm/sky is falling dichotomy other places love.
I dunno the two big thread (mostly) consensus trades of the last year was AAPL and CSIQ, and they both were great/smart trades. In between a lot of bullshit floweth though.

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe
I am probably too late to post this but athx just made a pretty big partnership in Japan for their stroke research and it's in run up for pre data it's up over 80 cents in pre trading probably has a good run up coming but I am a stock newbie so take from that what you will

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

quote:

(Reuters) - Lumber Liquidators Holdings Inc, a retailer of hardwood flooring in North America, sold flooring with higher levels of formaldehyde than permitted under California's health and safety standards, according to television news program "60 Minutes".

CBS's "60 Minutes" said it tested Lumber Liquidators' flooring in Virginia, Florida, Texas, Illinois and New York for levels of formaldehyde, a cancer-causing chemical.

After taking a 25% beating on earnings last week, they're down another 25% on this news. Trading seems to be frozen at the moment.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

DNova posted:

After taking a 25% beating on earnings last week, they're down another 25% on this news. Trading seems to be frozen at the moment.

How high are the levels?

Edit wowza hope some people go to jail and poo poo coming from China is actually rigorously tested. RIP in piss lumber liquidators

"Richard Drury, attorney: "There are probably tens of thousands of households in California that have installed Lumber Liquidators Chinese laminates that may exceed formaldehyde standards...nationwide it's probably hundreds of thousands."

4. Drury: "The average level in Lumber Liquidators products that we found was over 6 to 7 times above the state standard for formaldehyde. Some that were close to 20 times above the level that's allowed to be sold...It was so high, in fact, that one of our test labs thought their machine was broken."

neonbregna fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 2, 2015

Rbear
Jul 30, 2014
Here are some robinhood invites.

http://email.robinhood.com/wf/click...uquW1VRmg-3D-3D

http://email.robinhood.com/wf/click...5g14T9Sdg-3D-3D

http://email.robinhood.com/wf/click...DyuTjNxkQ-3D-3D

Got 6 more if anybody is interested.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

neonbregna posted:

How high are the levels?

Edit wowza hope some people go to jail and poo poo coming from China is actually rigorously tested. RIP in piss lumber liquidators

"Richard Drury, attorney: "There are probably tens of thousands of households in California that have installed Lumber Liquidators Chinese laminates that may exceed formaldehyde standards...nationwide it's probably hundreds of thousands."

4. Drury: "The average level in Lumber Liquidators products that we found was over 6 to 7 times above the state standard for formaldehyde. Some that were close to 20 times above the level that's allowed to be sold...It was so high, in fact, that one of our test labs thought their machine was broken."

A lot of California's standards are loving bonkers but formaldehyde is legitimately nasty poo poo that you do not want to be chronically exposed to even in low levels.

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.

Thank you! Snagged the first one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Holy crap, glad I got in on NXPI. It dropped to 57 or so a few months back and I bought in, and then I doubled down at 72. Big day for them today.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

greasyhands posted:

I decided to put 100 shares on CYCC this morning at 1.68, probably a bad decision...My first stock buy! :downs:

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Toadsniff posted:

I decided to put 100 shares on CYCC this morning at 1.68, probably a bad decision...My first stock buy! :downs:

Why would you make what you think is probably a bad decision with your money?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Please no kink shaming

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Black on roulette right? What does it matter what I think, the money will do the talking right?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Toadsniff posted:

That is a truly terrible decision. Welcome to the thread.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Seems like Lumber Liquidators should be collapsing more than it has (this post is based on a $40 share price).

(1) It's still trading at 17x earnings. Not exactly cheap for a company selling a commoditized product. Their forecasts for 2015 are $2.75 a share, which is 15x.
(2) It has a $1b valuation with $325m in shareholder equity...it's trading at 3x book with lawsuits sure to come. Who the hell knows how much that'll total. Or the expense of ripping out old flooring and perhaps replacing it. Bankruptcy is in play.
(3) It's hard to see their sales doing anything except plummeting. 60 Minutes is watched by millions. And there's nothing that scares mothers more than HEALTH HAZARDS to children.
(4) WIth the illegal Chinese supplies out of the picture, they're going to see margin compression, so even if we assume nothing will happen except their supply will become more expensive, the stock becomes much more expensive on a P/E basis.

Really the only bull case is that the investigation is incorrect, but that doesn't seem all that likely. Lumber Liquidators is using words like "intended use" to defend their product, which is a wiggle word that their argument is going to be that the illegal levels of formaldehyde don't pose a danger. This doesn't seem like a strong defense.

Anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't buy some long-term puts and sit on them?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arkane posted:

Anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't buy some long-term puts and sit on them?

They're pretty expensive, and any litigation is likely to resolve after the longest of the LEAPs expire.

That would be my counter-argument. I think you're right to be bearish though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Maybe do verticals but the spreads might eat you alive there...

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People aren't going to hold their dicks waiting for the litigation to finish. The writing is going to be on the wall one way or another. I think this could easily be sub-20 after 2Q earnings report. It aired on the first day of the 2nd quarter. So I'd be looking at August. And yeah I think a put spread would be what I would aim for.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Arkane posted:

People aren't going to hold their dicks waiting for the litigation to finish. The writing is going to be on the wall one way or another. I think this could easily be sub-20 after 2Q earnings report. It aired on the first day of the 2nd quarter. So I'd be looking at August. And yeah I think a put spread would be what I would aim for.

Well, if you do it, let us know... I'll be rooting for you. Too chickenshit to make the trade myself.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Agronox posted:

Well, if you do it, let us know... I'll be rooting for you. Too chickenshit to make the trade myself.

Whitney Tilson did it x about 45,000 shares, so it's not like he's alone in that sentiment. This is pretty egregious.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I don't even trade and I really don't mean to be a dick, but you are probably right to be bearish; however, have you put thoughts into what puts you will buy and when, and how you are going to play a few of the common future scenarios?

I think the thread would benefit a lot from people posting rationale behind why they pick certain vehicles and what signs are the looking for rather than "I'm long/short this stock until I wake up spooked one day"

The type of entry/exit analysis is a lot more stimulating conversation and more broadly applicable...

E: I didn't read you had some thought in it, but any more insight into actual contracts and all that would be pretty helpful

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009
Had an interesting experience today. I had an open limit order to buy at 64.30. It had been sitting for maybe a week. It filled not long after open, but at a penny lower than the range reported on Google and Yahoo. It filled at 64.30, but both Google and Yahoo show the lowest price of the day at 64.31. Is it an issue with the data source? Was my sub-100 share trade too small to report? Did I potentially get filled on a non-reporting exchange? Just curious. Kind of fun to catch the absolute bottom on something even if it was only for a day. If this stock never goes below my purchase price again I'm going to pretend I'm a genius.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Arkane posted:

Seems like Lumber Liquidators should be collapsing more than it has (this post is based on a $40 share price).

(1) It's still trading at 17x earnings. Not exactly cheap for a company selling a commoditized product. Their forecasts for 2015 are $2.75 a share, which is 15x.
(2) It has a $1b valuation with $325m in shareholder equity...it's trading at 3x book with lawsuits sure to come. Who the hell knows how much that'll total. Or the expense of ripping out old flooring and perhaps replacing it. Bankruptcy is in play.
(3) It's hard to see their sales doing anything except plummeting. 60 Minutes is watched by millions. And there's nothing that scares mothers more than HEALTH HAZARDS to children.
(4) WIth the illegal Chinese supplies out of the picture, they're going to see margin compression, so even if we assume nothing will happen except their supply will become more expensive, the stock becomes much more expensive on a P/E basis.

Really the only bull case is that the investigation is incorrect, but that doesn't seem all that likely. Lumber Liquidators is using words like "intended use" to defend their product, which is a wiggle word that their argument is going to be that the illegal levels of formaldehyde don't pose a danger. This doesn't seem like a strong defense.

And it's already back up 9% this morning. :psyduck:

I absolutely agree with your points above. One of the interviews I heard on NPR yesterday with the main hedge fund manager that brought this story to 60 Minutes, said the same thing. All the potential lost revenue, and margin compression are definitely not factored in and he will continue to short the stock. He didn't have an answer for how long, but he was saying that Bankruptcy would be nice.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Crazyweasel posted:

I don't even trade and I really don't mean to be a dick, but you are probably right to be bearish; however, have you put thoughts into what puts you will buy and when, and how you are going to play a few of the common future scenarios?

I think the thread would benefit a lot from people posting rationale behind why they pick certain vehicles and what signs are the looking for rather than "I'm long/short this stock until I wake up spooked one day"

The type of entry/exit analysis is a lot more stimulating conversation and more broadly applicable...

E: I didn't read you had some thought in it, but any more insight into actual contracts and all that would be pretty helpful

Well I don't think this is a no-brainer because we're getting the scraps, which is to say I'm not in a rush to do it (and a good thing since it's up 9% today as of this post)....the easy money has definitely been made on this short. There could be persistent irrationality in trading that keeps the stock around this area or even moves it higher for all I know. People try to find overreactions and could view the plummeting of this stock over the past week or so as an overreaction. I've read that these particular products make up 10% of their business (I don't know if that is true). Also there's of course the possibility that people buying the stock are right about the future!

However, if we view the spectrum of actual business outcomes, it seems likely this range tilts heavily negative in the short term. The risk of downside doesn't seem like it's fully priced in. There could be permanent damage to the brand and the company's reputation, in addition to lawsuits (even if unsuccessful, legal costs), inventory write-downs, liquidity problems due to lack of cash, margin compression due to changes at Chinese suppliers, etc. The company could at least conceivably disappear if successful lawsuits are wide-ranging and costly...although as pointed out this would take years to materialize if it ever did...but it's a potential outcome that should be priced in right now.

This downside risk to the stock is apparent in the premiums for the puts, which are expensive (they look similar to what popular shorts like Herbalife & GoPro looked like earlier this year), and the fact that I can't short the stock on IB (and probably would pay a hefty interest rate if I could). I think my best options are trying to trade the medium-term future via put spreads...the next few months rather than day to day or LEAPs. This could be May or August contracts. I think if there's one point in time where we would expect the focal point of sentiment to be, it could be post-Q2 earnings, which is the first real quarter where we'll get visibility on the impact of the story on earnings. I dunno what I was thinking before saying March was the start of the 2nd quarter....we'll see the immediate impacts in Q1 numbers, which report late April/early May and encompass a full month of sales impacts. Q2 likely reports late July, so would be looking at August contracts to trade earnings reaction to that report.

Setting a price target isn't easy, since you're kinda just guessing at what the fallout will be for an event that hasn't happened before. "Lower than this" seems like my best guess as stupid as that is. I tend to lean conservative on bets when possible, so I'd probably err on the side of a non-aggressive put spread like 30/40 rather than trying to predict a complete fallout. It's hard to envision that people will really want to keep owning this stock over the next few months with so much negative uncertainty hanging over it. What do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
more robinhood

https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=45G3SHP7
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=SE52DSQW
https://www.robinhood.com/signup?invite_code=JYOZUF3C