Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I probably know the answer to this already, but how likely is it that someone would actually plug a network cable into one port on the switch and the other end into another? or is there another way they would be causing network loops? I really know very little about networking, aside from the OSI model and how to terminate 568-A and B.

This happens all the time, it's the reason we have (R)STP these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This struck a cord in me.

http://itrevolution.com/karojisatsu/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Caught this in DevOps Weekly this morning. tl;dr: burnout can be lethal. Everyone should read it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I read it. Now I'm looking for jobs again, because I don't think I've pulled any 100-hour weeks, but I'm getting closer than I'd like. Between work and school, I mean. Not just work.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Misogynist posted:

Caught this in DevOps Weekly this morning. tl;dr: burnout can be lethal. Everyone should read it.

I have sat here pondering a response in regards to my feeling on this article however my shame ensures that I can not
submit anything more meaningful then this really.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

But hey, family can wait, servers/storage/network can not!! And I make more money than you!

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I watched burnout consume a colleague and close friend of 15 years. Brilliant guy wrestling with emotional demons to begin with. Wasn't the overwork that killed him, it was how management made it worse. He caught a tiny tyrant to report into after a management shakeup. This guy was absolute garbage: zero empathy, deceptive, and prideful. Disrupted work from week one, which I believe was intentional effort to force problems that then had to be solved his way. After months of this my buddy finally loses his temper and sends a email to his boss copying our senior director, calling out trashbag manager on his incompetence while dropping a couple f-bombs.

poo poo Manager throws a tantrum and basically calls for my buddy's head. Senior Director feels his hands are tied because of the hostile tone of the email. My buddy is forced to apologize but I could see it stuck in him like a bad splinter. His working from home days increase, then progress to no-call no-shows. One night I get a call at 3AM and he's raving about how the people living in the apartment beneath him are plotting to kill him. We check him into a retreat center to recover from the full on hallucinations he is now perceiving. Company fires him.

That was about two years ago. Since then, while he can still get jobs on the strength of his experience and knowledge, he only keeps these jobs for a couple months before he grows dissatisfied or depressed. He is angry quite nearly all the time. Ten years ago this was one of the most energetic and motivated people I'd ever known. Now it is like all of that was hollowed out and replaced with rage and mistrust. His friends have done everything we can to try to help him through it all but we seem to only reach him so much. Every time I get a call from someone in that circle of friends, I worry that they're going to tell me he's killed himself.

Obviously we all need money to survive, but please keep an eye on your mental and emotional health.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Client's management doesn't want to backfill my position when I leave. Instead, they want me to train up a fed that works from home 3 days a week (I'll only see him one day this week, and I only have one week left) and who doesn't have a security clearance, so he can't access the security network where we manage everything. Oh yeah, and he's actively looking for new jobs himself. This poo poo is the kind of reason why I'm leaving.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

orange sky posted:

But hey, family can wait, servers/storage/network can not!! And I make more money than you!

Yeah, when that article lit up my Twitter feed over the weekend, it definitely struck me as "DAF in a couple more years".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

To another subject, what tech stuff are you all following on Twitter?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've burned out in my current position and am aggressively looking for something else. I am angry about our stupid users and leadership that thinks this internet thing is pretty important now, in TYOL 2015, as a direct marketing and sales company. I don't like being tired, depressed, and frequently mentally exhausted. The IT leadership acknowledges the burnout my colleague and I are facing, but it's not simple to solve the contributing factors.

I have been working very hard to find the work/life balance, and have basically boiled it down to a relative amount of 'work' that I can do for the day. A normal day is not really an issue, but a day which major/moderate issues occur and I have to think on my feet, or design solutions, is very taxing and uses way more of that 'work' repo. It is hard explaining this to people, but I think you guys will understand it. It becomes an issue when you are overwhelmed all the time and that repo doesn't fill up to the top, so it doen't take much to empty the tank so to speak.

Overall, I am feeling better, but I can really do without the memory issues, dull headaches, and general contempt that I have to try very hard to hide from people.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm tempted to Archerize my phone's greeting.

Blah blah blah IT this is Skooma

(sleep 20)

Sure I can help you out with that! What's the issue?

(sleep 30)

Alright then, could I please have the VNC

(sleep 20)

Got it!

*beep*

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

How do you guys schedule job interviews while still working full-time? I'm supposed to request time off two weeks out, and nobody wants to wait that long.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How do you guys schedule job interviews while still working full-time? I'm supposed to request time off two weeks out, and nobody wants to wait that long.

Got sick days?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Dear Boss,

Unfortunately some personal matters have come up which will require me to take today off.

Sincerely,
Guy who is under no obligation to divulge any addition information about my day off

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I was trying to avoid using sick days. It's probably a dumb worry, but I was concerned that companies down the line might want to know how often I called in sick. So far I've only been sick two days in almost ten months, not counting a month out after emergency surgery, which is different from calling in sick.

I'll probably just say I have an appointment. I go to various doctors a lot, and most doctors don't take stuff after normal business hours.

I wouldn't be surprised if my boss figures out that I'm looking for a new job. In the past 2 and a half months we've had 50% turnover, not including me.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was trying to avoid using sick days. It's probably a dumb worry, but I was concerned that companies down the line might want to know how often I called in sick. So far I've only been sick two days in almost ten months, not counting a month out after emergency surgery, which is different from calling in sick.

I'll probably just say I have an appointment. I go to various doctors a lot, and most doctors don't take stuff after normal business hours.

I wouldn't be surprised if my boss figures out that I'm looking for a new job. In the past 2 and a half months we've had 50% turnover, not including me.

Any company concerned about how much sick-time you've used its probably not a company you want to work for. If they bring it up during the interview process, that's a bad sign.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
No job interview I have ever been too (even early call center ones) have asked how often I call out sick. I'm pretty sure if one does ask it's not a job you'd want to take anyways. You've earned those sick days. Use them.

Edit: ^^^^What they said

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

My car/water heater/washer/internet/girlfriend/cat broke and I need to run home real quick.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That last one won't work because about 40% of the time I'm 3 hours away from home, I'll just plan them out ahead and tell my boss ahead of time.

I got a call back about the job I interviewed for last week. Apparently it's not a 1099, maybe? I'm waiting for clarification. The recruiter said one thing, the interviewer said another. I guess this is one of the positions where I work for the recruiting company officially, as opposed to one of the ones where the recruiter is just there to get the employee and company together.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No one is going to call up your past employers and ask about the number of sick days you've taken. That's just not a thing.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The main problem I have with trying to find a job while working full time are the stupid phone interviews with HR, recruiters, and the like. I don't have the luxury of a quiet place to tuck away into due to working inside a jail and cell signal is garbage.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

SaltLick posted:

The main problem I have with trying to find a job while working full time are the stupid phone interviews with HR, recruiters, and the like. I don't have the luxury of a quiet place to tuck away into due to working inside a jail and cell signal is garbage.

I've been going 'out to lunch' either solo or saying I'm meeting someone, and just parking offsite and having these calls. Not great, but like you, I don't have any privacy to have these types of conversations at the office.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My car is my office, so that's generally where I have my calls too. I don't mind the phone interviews at all. Those I can schedule for whenever, because I can do them wherever I am.

I think part of the sick day paranoia was that I tried to get re-hired at my first job (lovely call center) last year, and I was told I was ineligible for re-hire, and the only thing I could think of was that I had called in like three times in two months. Or maybe it was because I didn't give two weeks. Who knows. Anyway, they got bought out and no longer exist, and I'm making half again what I made there. And these jobs I'm applying for are raises from that, so screw that place.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My car is my office, so that's generally where I have my calls too. I don't mind the phone interviews at all. Those I can schedule for whenever, because I can do them wherever I am.

I think part of the sick day paranoia was that I tried to get re-hired at my first job (lovely call center) last year, and I was told I was ineligible for re-hire, and the only thing I could think of was that I had called in like three times in two months. Or maybe it was because I didn't give two weeks. Who knows. Anyway, they got bought out and no longer exist, and I'm making half again what I made there. And these jobs I'm applying for are raises from that, so screw that place.

Eh companies will use whatever excuse they find convenient to not rehire. The job I just left was bought out by a competitor and some people had to reapply for their jobs. A lot of them were let go because they apparently weren't qualified for the jobs they had been doing there for the past 8 years.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The ironic thing is that there were apparently some people who would apply, do the 3-4 week training, quit, apply again a few months later, rinse and repeat. I didn't realize there was a way to be ineligible for rehire aside from stealing information or swearing at a customer.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Speaking of looking for new jobs I've been at my new job for a week and I'm already looking to find another. Still no computer, no administrative access and it looks like they misrepresented what my functions would be.

I was told this would be an Senior SCCM position. Turns out all I'm doing is generating compliance reports and deploying packages that another department that has already tested and packaged. There is no interaction with OSD and they're moving patching to IBM BigFix. This is turning out to be a step backwards career-wise.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 2, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sacred Cow posted:

Still no computer

:wtc:

How disorganised are they? At this point they must have paid several times more than the cost of a laptop to have you sit on your arse all day.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

:wtc:

How disorganised are they? At this point they must have paid several times more than the cost of a laptop to have you sit on your arse all day.

This is all just the tech side of things. They also hosed up pretty bad on the backend too including my insurance and timesheet. I don't know if I am getting paid on time because despite knowing I was joining the company for 3 months, never assigned a signing manager too me so I just found out no one can approve my time for last week yet.

This is a large company with ~8000 employees. I've never worked for a company this large so I don't know if this is normal.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Not having a laptop for a new hire is one of my biggest fears.

I always have two in reserve just in case HR decided to spring a new employee on me. It happens.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Sacred Cow posted:

This is a large company with ~8000 employees. I've never worked for a company this large so I don't know if this is normal.

Only at lovely large companies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Burnout chat: That article should be required reading for IT. One of my coworkers, a good buddy of mine, is nearing this point and I'm really worried about him :( I learned a little whole ago that huge hours per week are not a bad he of honour anymore and our mental/physical/emotional health should be a priority above all else. It's just a loving job.

DAF as gently caress

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sacred Cow posted:

This is all just the tech side of things. They also hosed up pretty bad on the backend too including my insurance and timesheet. I don't know if I am getting paid on time because despite knowing I was joining the company for 3 months, never assigned a signing manager too me so I just found out no one can approve my time for last week yet.

If this was a contract found through a staffing agency I would get in contact with them immediately so you get paid.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Burnout chat: That article should be required reading for IT. One of my coworkers, a good buddy of mine, is nearing this point and I'm really worried about him :( I learned a little whole ago that huge hours per week are not a bad he of honour anymore and our mental/physical/emotional health should be a priority above all else. It's just a loving job.

DAF as gently caress
Part of the problem is that employers have gone so far in selling "the work is its own reward," and in sending people to conferences where their friendships are tied up in their professional credentials, that there's practically a deliberate movement to tether an employee's entire sense of self-worth to their job performance.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That article is by no means limited to IT. It's sadly applicable to pretty much any sort of professional field, especially one that's salary rather than hourly.

A combination of the push to do more with fewer people on top of sheer management incompetence that flat out prevents them from effectively utilizing more resources makes this far too common in every industry.

Unfortunately, the people that really need to read it and be affected by the message are the ones least likely to be moved by it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Part of the problem is that employers have gone so far in selling "the work is its own reward," and in sending people to conferences where their friendships are tied up in their professional credentials, that there's practically a deliberate movement to tether an employee's entire sense of self-worth to their job performance.

Oh for sure, that's absolutely my friends problem. His entire life revolves around IT, all his friends are IT people, we need to have that separation and priorities that are not easy to achieve.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

That article is by no means limited to IT. It's sadly applicable to pretty much any sort of professional field, especially one that's salary rather than hourly.

I agree however there seems to be a strong correlation with overworking and technical fields.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

I agree however there seems to be a strong correlation with overworking and technical fields.

Probably because it doesn't feel like "work" like physical labor does. It's much easier to mentally justify staying a couple hours later all the time to sit at your desk than it would to dig another ditch or whatever.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This burnout talk is scary stuff. I started making a very conscious effort to establish real limitations to work email checking at my first sysadmin job, with a manager whose hair would have been pointy if he wasn't balding.

I find the best option is, unless you are expected to be on call 24-7-365 (and you made sure to leverage that for commensurate salary/bonuses/comp time, right? Right?!) then just charge your phone in another room when you come home, or just put it physically away. I'm fortunate that we're a small shop now but the last job? Forget it. Work-life balance is given a nice blurb in HR but "what is the status of X? need to know by tomorrow AM first thing" for constant, minor issues is enough to give someone anxiety problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I only mention it because I have friends that are getting hit just as hard even though they are not IT. For example, I have a friend that does design work and she's getting handed the same types of impossible deadlines and 24/7/365 response time for issues. It's all overwhelmingly due to a lack of proper planning/project specification and lack of people to share the load.

Hell, I haven't been able to do anything with my friend that prints signs for a few weeks due to forced overtime 6 day work weeks.

It's all squeeze squeeze squeeze. Until we get some sort of overtime legislation with teeth, the American worker is going to keep getting poo poo on from top to bottom.