Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Dogfight and conquer your way through the sector as space Ghengis Kahn.

or

Luftrausers had a baby with Freespace 2.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What is best in life? To swarm your enemies, see them ruptured in vacuum, and order the devastation of their worlds.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Welp, gonna have to name a ship Conan now.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The Hotline Miami reference makes me want to somehow have you be able to fly into an enemy aircraft carrier's hangar door, have it swing wildly back at a launching fighter, send it spinning onto the floor of the hangar... and then park on top of it and hit the cockpit with a hammer until it shatters.

Also, Kairo, can you put some hosed up masks in for the pilot to wear? It'd be spooky to see a guy in a pig mask as you fly by.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The recent stuff with Homeworld and fuel also brings up the point of fuel/carriers. Those'd be fun inclusions that could be part of optional difficulty. Also it'd give an excuse for Ace Combat music hangar music.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Randomized Space Ace Combat (with a Homeworld Aesthetic)
Rogue-like Space Ace Combat

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I know you're talking about Ace Combat in Space, but "Space Ace Combat" makes me think of Space Ace, and man did that game suck.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Homeworld Miami: Fleet of the Strongest Polygons

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
You know, Kairo, I think you owe us another gameplay video at this point. OWE US.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

We threaten more out-of-scope feature speculations otherwise!

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

We threaten more out-of-scope feature speculations otherwise!

I might even blog about it

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hey guys, exclusive information here. ES will now contain an NPC co-pilot. Using ground-breaking AI, you will now be able to interact with her. Many dialog options will lead to you porking her on the way to your next engagement.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Overwined posted:

Hey guys, exclusive information here. ES will now contain an NPC co-pilot. Using ground-breaking AI, you will now be able to interact with her. Many dialog options will lead to you porking her on the way to your next engagement.

I can't hyper jump without my buddy Superfly.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Overwined posted:

Man. This reminds me. I always wanted the lady pilot in Force Unleashed to be a wookie.

It'd be awesome with the romantic tension.

"Are you alright?!"
"GROOONK"
"Thank god... I... I don't know what I'd do if..."
"Woof"

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Overwined posted:

Unfortunately projected budget cutbacks mean we get saddled with Starlancer's Moose instead. Goddamnit, Moose.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"Freespace + Flotilla"
"X-Wing + Homeworld"

Those are good because they capture the gameplay and the aesthetic!

FWIW I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro and I'll probably be dead before I use a mouse to fly a spaceship.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

RangerKarl posted:

Unfortunately projected budget cutbacks mean we get saddled with Starlancer's Moose instead. Goddamnit, Moose.

Well where you have Moose, you have Moose Knuckle. Also, and I have this from a :airquote:reliable source:airquote: that Kairo has just finished negotiations with Egosoft for the rights to the Space Boob Window. More on this as it develops.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Hot off the presses: Enemy Starfighter to start last-minute Kickstarter campaign unlike any others. There will be only 1 package and only 1 of it available. It'll be for one lucky $162.8 bln USD donor who will get exclusive video of Kairo fleeing earth with all their money to colonize Europa. There will be a stretch goal of $162,800,000,0080 and that same lucky donor will receive a custom embroidered hanky to dry their tears.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

This just in: Radiant AI.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I am now being told that not only will toilet facilities be rendered, but if ES meets its kickstarter goal that all virtual poo poo that gets flushed down the virtual toilets will actually be funneled on top of Chris Roberts' pillow.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Stretch goal. Peter Molyneaux is hired to make Enemy Starfighter's design goals impractical.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Personally, I heard that you'll be able to walk around every ship and personally execute every crew member. You can even land on planets and commit :swoon: mass genocide! :swoon:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Personally, I heard that you'll be able to walk around every ship and personally execute every crew member. You can even land on planets and commit :swoon: mass genocide! :swoon:

But there will be a psychosocial repercussion. For instance, in 40 years of real time, the nature of the society that allows these atrocities to be committed will slowly push reactionary and revolutionary forces into conflict, potentially unraveling the conundrum of how to run a free and just society.

This will be represented by your main character having horns or a halo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You will be given tutorial advice from a small, floating green man that only you can see. He turns out to be the ghost of the previous pilot of the very ship you are flying.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

doctorfrog posted:

You will be given tutorial advice from a small, floating green man that only you can see. He turns out to be the ghost of the previous pilot of the very ship you are flying.

You loving! Spoiler that! SPoiler it all!

Kairo you've RUINED Your game for me now that I know that there will be space rocks that look good with a shader on them and a skybox that ORIENTS ME IN THE DIMENSIONS.

I will *never* have the pristine experience of discovery. Never. This and every other artform is ruined. I AM TEH SUICIDE (I'm fine probably).

I feel that we are dangerously close to making this an Imp zone thread.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

doctorfrog posted:

This is kinda what happens in Independence War 2.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 4, 2015

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is kinda what happens in Independance War 2.

Wasn't that the first Independence War?

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

This is kinda what happens in Independance War 2.

God, making me miss Clay and his green face telling me what to do while reversing at 5000 m/s shooting the drones guarding the huge transport I just tried to rob. Jesus now I might just have to reinstall I-war 2 if Kairo doesn't speed up his development.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This guy?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Oh yeah man, that's him. You have to watch that fucker. He's sending you to your doom. You may not even make it off the launchpad. If the entire ship is wobbling, and you haven't even touched the throttle yet? Just eject. Pray there are no propellers directly above your capsule.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bolow posted:

I didn't play that one :blush:

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Bolow posted:

Clay's in both. In I-War 2 he acts as the protagonist's surrogate dad.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I didn't play that one :blush:

It has aged rather poorly and is convoluted as all gently caress to play. It's still probably the best space capital ship simulator you can get though

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, I-war 2 once you are out in space it still looks very pretty but the cutscenes, base hangar, and all the UI elements are showing their age. The first game is even more convoluted but it still did so many things right that if you don't play it at least check out a lets play of it.

Kairo
Jun 21, 2003

This is the first iteration of the new bindings menu.

http://gfycat.com/ImpressionableDownrightGermanspitz

It's taken a bit longer than I expected to make (shocking) but it works pretty well. Custom per-axis deadzones and crazy poo poo like that will have to be set in a config file. You can load them in-game from this menu. It reads 20 buttons and 10 axes per joystick (up to Unity's limit, which I think is 8). Special gamepad tweaks are added to the major preset configs (like the 360 controller).

Now I can get back to the really important stuff like the campaign. :)

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
I can't even begin to stress enough how excited I am for this game.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm waiting patiently and VR headsets are getting closer to release and i'm still excited to play

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

mad.radhu posted:

I'm waiting patiently and VR headsets are getting closer to release and i'm still excited to play

This game should bundle with the Vive

deck
Jul 13, 2006

Kairo posted:

It's taken a bit longer than I expected to make (shocking) but it works pretty well. Custom per-axis deadzones and crazy poo poo like that will have to be set in a config file. You can load them in-game from this menu. It reads 20 buttons and 10 axes per joystick (up to Unity's limit, which I think is 8). Special gamepad tweaks are added to the major preset configs (like the 360 controller).

Are you using Unity's built-in Input Manager or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Kairo posted:

So this is kind of an edge case, but the X55 has (if my math is correct) 32 buttons, a three way switch, on top of the 6 axes, all on the throttle. Is this gonna be a hard limit on inputs, meaning I'll need to bind keyboard commands using Saitek's software, or is this something you can bump up?

• Locked thread