Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Centripetal Horse posted:

Surprisingly, it's not obvious which group is more evil, either.

I have a super-right-wing friend who likes to accuse me of being "not patriotic." When he says that, I think of poo poo like this, and handing out bogus vaccines to people in the Middle East, and holding people endlessly in torture camps without charges, and Jim Crow, and a two-hundred-year string of broken treaties and marginalization of native peoples, and sick citizens being denied necessary health care, and endless attempts to dismantle unions and environmental regulations while rolling back advances in workers' rights, and our constant need to be sticking our guns in the faces of people all over the world, and for-profit prisons successfully lobbying to lock up more people for longer for lesser crimes, and segregated proms still being a thing in the shitholier regions of the nation, and the fact that we never seem to learn anything from any of this poo poo, and all I can say is, "You're loving right I'm not."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MYjyLg8bbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

The Jill Dando case is pretty interesting I think. It's got a celebrity, a possible hitman, cops loving up and pinning it on a mentally ill guy and a still open cold case.

Wikipedia posted:

Jill Wendy Dando[1] (9 November 1961 – 26 April 1999) was an English journalist, television presenter, and newsreader who was 1997 BBC Personality of the Year. At the time of her death, she was the presenter of the BBC programme Crimewatch.

On 26 April 1999, Dando was fatally shot outside her home in Fulham, London. A local man, Barry George, was convicted and jailed for the murder but was later acquitted on appeal. A Yugoslav terrorist connection was initially dismissed by police, but has since acquired more credence. The case remains open.

Wikipedia posted:

Lines of inquiry explored in the police investigation included:

Theories that a jealous ex-boyfriend or an unknown lover had killed her. This was quickly ruled out by the detectives who interviewed all Dando's friends and acquaintances and checked her phone calls.[21]
A belief that somebody had hired an assassin to murder Dando as revenge for their being convicted as a result of evidence garnered by Crimewatch viewers. After exhaustive inquiries this was also ruled out by detectives.[21]
Various theories relating to Bosnian-Serb or Yugoslav groups (see below).
The possibility that a deranged fan may have killed Dando after she had rejected his approaches. Dando’s brother, Nigel, informed detectives that she had become concerned by “some guy pestering her” in the few days before her death, but this was ruled out by detectives.
A case of mistaken identity. This was judged unlikely, given that the killing took place on the doorstep of Dando's own home.
In July 2014, a report appeared in the Daily Star Sunday claiming that Dando had investigated a paedophile ring at the BBC during the mid 1990s and had handed a dossier on it to BBC management. It was implied that this may have prompted a revenge attack. The BBC said it had seen no evidence to support the claim.[22][23]
Even actions taken by a professional rival or business partner had to be considered. Her agent Jon Roseman stated that he had been interviewed as a suspect by police.

The original police investigation had explored the possibility of a professional killing, but since Dando was living with her fiancé and was only rarely visiting her Gowan Avenue house, it was considered unlikely that a professional assassin would have been sufficiently well informed about Dando's movements to have known when she was going there. CCTV evidence of Dando's last journey (mainly security video recordings from the Kings Mall Shopping Centre in Hammersmith, which she visited on her way to Fulham) did not show any sign of her being followed.[24]

Dando's BBC colleague Nick Ross stated on Newsnight on the night of her death that retaliatory attacks by criminals against police, lawyers and judges were almost unknown in Britain. Finally, forensic examination of the cartridge case and bullet recovered from the scene of the attack suggested that the weapon used had been the result of a workshop conversion of a replica or decommissioned gun. It was argued that a professional assassin would not use such a poor quality weapon. The police therefore soon began to favour the idea that the killing had been carried out by a crazed individual acting on an opportunist basis. This assumed profile of the perpetrator led to the focus on Barry George.

However, it is reported that cold case reviews by the police after 2008 have concluded that Dando was killed by a professional assassin.[25] Dando was subject to a 'hard contact execution'. Pressing the gun against her head would have silenced the fatal shot and prevented her killer from being splattered with blood.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Centripetal Horse posted:

Surprisingly, it's not obvious which group is more evil, either.

I have a super-right-wing friend who likes to accuse me of being "not patriotic." When he says that, I think of poo poo like this, and handing out bogus vaccines to people in the Middle East, and holding people endlessly in torture camps without charges, and Jim Crow, and a two-hundred-year string of broken treaties and marginalization of native peoples, and sick citizens being denied necessary health care, and endless attempts to dismantle unions and environmental regulations while rolling back advances in workers' rights, and our constant need to be sticking our guns in the faces of people all over the world, and for-profit prisons successfully lobbying to lock up more people for longer for lesser crimes, and segregated proms still being a thing in the shitholier regions of the nation, and the fact that we never seem to learn anything from any of this poo poo, and all I can say is, "You're loving right I'm not."

And if you mention any of that he probably accuses you of trying to make him feel guilty for things he didn't do, right? That's a telltale failure in reasoning that a lot of right-wingers share: they can only think of the universe in terms of a personal failure to follow the rules. Everything is personal responsibility to them.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I honestly hate that show. The liberal romanticism of past eras as atrocity free and hyper focus on more recent evils is just so contemptible.Yeah it's totally red team fault that America was built on Imperialism from the very beginning.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Literally Kermit posted:

This is extremely awesome as far as derails go, and I definitely encourage everyone to check out the new 2015 Everest Death Pool thread. 2014 was one of my favorite threads ever.

I don't even want the derail to end; I want it to spread to every other thread, just everyone clamoring for Mt Everest to literally eat the rich lining up to die in one of the most expensive ways possible. Mother Nature needs this one, guys.

But last year Everest did the opposite of eating the rich. It vomited out the rich while eating the poor in record numbers.

Though that one girl who had a book sold about her climbing experience even before she went and then didn't get to climb was hilarious.

Edit: It occurred to me that some people might not know about this so here's the Wikipedia page on the 2014 disaster that killed 16 Nepalese guides and shut down climbing on the southern side of the mountain.

Mister Bates posted:

Everything I've read about J Edgar Hoover has made him come across as one of the worst human beings the United States government has ever employed. Guy was a motherfucker, and he wasn't even a particularly competent or efficient motherfucker either.

There's a reason why the completely nonsense cross-dressing story keeps going around. Everyone would like the monster emasculated.

Random Stranger has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Mar 2, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PresidentBeard posted:

I honestly hate that show. The liberal romanticism of past eras as atrocity free and hyper focus on more recent evils is just so contemptible.Yeah it's totally red team fault that America was built on Imperialism from the very beginning.

k.

It's not like it was along the lines of what the above poster said or anything.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

What forum is the Everest thread in?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

LivesInGrey posted:

What forum is the Everest thread in?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694151

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It was mentioned a while back but the Late Bronze Age Collapse really spooks me and not just because it features the mysterious "Sea Peoples" (which was the focus of the previous post in this thread), but because of how all these highly interconnected cultures were suddenly silenced in the historical record within a generation. And we're still not entirely sure of the cause.

The world of the late Bronze Age features a lot of really ancient civilizations that most people have probably heard of, at least in passing. The Hittites, the Mycenaean Greeks (of Iliad fame), the Assyrians, and the Egyptians were major powers at the time. They had inter-regional trade and diplomatic ties (see: The Amarna Letters for recovered diplomatic correspondence), much like we have today. There were disputes, as there are today, but everyone was getting rich on trading.

Then it all fell apart and quickly too. The historical basis for the Iliad and the destruction of Troy is dated to about 1184 BCE. Within a generation, the civilization that besieged Troy, all those ships, armies, wealthy kings, and the commerce networks that sustained them, would go totally dark for hundreds of years. Between 1205 BCE and 1150 BCE, the civilizations around the Near East would either be destroyed (the Hittites and Mycenaean Greeks) or would survive as a rump of their former selves (the Assyrians and the Egyptians).

There are a couple of clues as to what caused the collapse but the mystery of the ultimate cause still persists because the record goes so dark so fast. We know there were migrations of new populations from northern areas that began displacing or overwhelming the existing civilizations. But what caused this human wave that collapsed whole societies? Climate change is one possible root cause and there is some evidence of prolonged droughts. Repeated failed harvests would lead to mass migrations. The archaeological record from this time also shows new types of pottery and weapons showing up and displacing the Bronze Age record. So in addition to migrations, it's also possible that an increased use of iron-working allowed iron-equipped invaders to overcome more advanced bronze-equipped armies.

And then there were the Sea Peoples (described as such by the Egyptians who were the last to be confronted by the human waves). They were a real factor in the collapse and many Bronze age cities do show evidence of destruction by war. And then there are the accounts that survived like this famous one from the king of Ugarit appealing for help from the neighboring king of Alasiya. The tablet the plea was written on was baked by the fire that consumed his city.

Ammurapi, King of Ugarit posted:

My father, behold, the enemy's ships came (here); my cities were burned, and they did evil things in my country. Does not my father know that all my troops and chariots are in the Land of Hatti, and all my ships are in the Land of Lukka?...Thus, the country is abandoned to itself. May my father know it: the seven ships of the enemy that came here inflicted much damage upon us.

So aside from the desperate tone of the plea, we can also see that the attacks came without warning (since his armies and ships are off in other parts of the Near East) and the region was largely unprepared. The Sea Peoples are generally accepted to consist of tribes/groups from the northern and central Mediterranean. Their numbers likely swelled with each collapsed civilization which probably contributed to the speed of their conquests. But the weird thing is cities that were destroyed remained unpopulated following their destruction. This wasn't a force that would displace the local populace and take their land. These were desperate people trying to get at increasingly few resources and they moved on following the sack of a city. It was more a human swarm of locusts than conquest.

Egypt was the only kingdom to hold firm and beat back the wave but it cost them their Near Eastern empire along with most of their treasure and military power. African rivals then proceeded to pick at the leftovers in Egypt, further weakening an already spent kingdom. The Assyrians in Mesopotamia, being more inland, didn't have to face the Sea Peoples and were able to hold off attacks on its colonies in Anatolia (modern Turkey) from other migrations (migrations which had already destroyed the Hittite empire). The Assyrian king even led his empire to some expansion in the region during the collapse. However, Assyria abandoned its empire after that king died and would remain within its natural borders for the next 100 years (probably due to the lack of trading partners which deincentivized maintaining an empire).

A failure cascade of civilizations in a time of advanced communication, trade, and connected civilizations (yes, I'm making a it a parable for the modern world). This wasn't just the collapse of imperial authority in the Western Roman Empire and the "Dark Ages" in Europe that followed. The Dark Ages was really just a continuation of the local institutions, just with less written documentation and central authority. Life continued much as it had prior to Rome's sacking. The Bronze Age collapse and the true Dark Age that followed was a systemic collapse the likes of which we haven't really seen since.

Thwomp has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Mar 4, 2015

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Let's learn about St. Edward Seminary in Kenmore, WA.

This behemoth 90,000 sq ft structure looks pretty cool from the outside. Located in Saint Edward State Park, it has a functioning bell tower and the dining room can be rented for weddings. In the 1950s the Von Trapp family from the "Sound of Music" stayed in the building while on tour. From 1935 to 1976 the building was operated by the Catholic Church as a seminary and graduated hundreds of priests. In the 1970s, as the need for a seminary declined, the building and surrounding acreage was sold to the state to become a park.

Visitors to Saint Edward State Park generally do not have access to the inside of the seminary building, but can enjoy looking at the exterior. From all appearances this would seem to be an interesting local landmark.

The seminary is actually a grim structure with black ooze seeping through the walls, hosted decades of sexual abuse of minors, and is a millstone around the state's neck as they have no idea what to do with it. The exterior looks great but the whole interior of the building is depressing concrete that seems like something out of Eastern Europe.

Priests smoked so much in their rooms that the smoke collected in the walls and sometimes oozes out. During the 40 years the building was operated by the Catholic Church, the abuse situation was so institutionalized that during tours, park rangers point out the soundproof music practice room in the basement that was known as the "rape room." The abuse seems to have been mostly covered up, although some victims have spoken up.

The interior of the building is creepy as hell, a lot of the class rooms look like the students walked out forty years ago and never came back with desks, books, and blackboards still in place. Ladders descend into the basement and the rangers aren't sure what's down there. Would not be a fun place to spend the night. The downstairs is so creepy and poorly lit that police do paintball exercises down there.

The interior is in such bad shape that getting it up to code would cost $58 million. The state still has no idea what to do with it, and has managed to screw up a few private offers to take it off their hands so it will likely continue to rot indefinitely.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Let's learn about St. Edward Seminary in Kenmore, WA.

Whoa, I used to live near there and I went to that park all the time. A couple of friends even had their wedding in that building (I guess one of the only areas that can still get used?)

I had no idea. I'm bout to ask all my friends to see if they know about this

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Whoa, I used to live near there and I went to that park all the time. A couple of friends even had their wedding in that building (I guess one of the only areas that can still get used?)

I had no idea. I'm bout to ask all my friends to see if they know about this

Oh yeah that giant hunk of concrete is fascinating. A friend used to live inside the seminary while he was a park ranger there and loved to give tours.

Getting the 300+ acres for the park was a great move by the state as the it is a fine park with lots of space and trails, but the seminary itself is a white elephant that is draining the state park budget of funds they can't afford to lose. It's $100,000 a year just to heat the drat thing to prevent even faster decay. The former dining room where your friend probably had their wedding seems like a surefire way to get some money back, but thanks to a lack of fire exits the massive room can only legally hold 50 people, so the state misses out on a ton of wedding parties.

The state keeps botching attempts by private businesses to take it off their hands. The entertainment chain McMenamins wanted it but local residents objected. A defense company called Temporal Defense Systems was interested but backed out when their company's name was released in a public records request during negotiations (why would a defense company want a 90,000 sq. ft concrete bunker in a state park?!), and the latest deal to fall through was the neighboring naturopath college looking for dorm space. Looks like the latest news is the state will abandon it in September and let it rot, hopefully making it a prime destination for ghost hunters.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

PresidentBeard posted:

Since when do liberals romanticise the past? Last I checked they were the ones always talking about slavery, native genocide, etc. Guy in the clip sounded more like a Libertarian than anything.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I only stated liberal to differentiate it from conservative romanticism of the past. The two groups romanticize different things and try to pretend different atrocities didn't happen. The show itself as a whole is very American liberal which admittedly in many other countries would be fairly weird conservative.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

PresidentBeard posted:

I only stated liberal to differentiate it from conservative romanticism of the past. The two groups romanticize different things and try to pretend different atrocities didn't happen. The show itself as a whole is very American liberal which admittedly in many other countries would be fairly weird conservative.

Which atrocities do liberals pretend didn't happen? I'm not trying to get in your face here, I am honestly bewildered.

I think The Newsroom is abject poo poo, by the way, so I agree with you on that point!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The series is mostly predicated on the Nixon/Reagan-esque neocons (who just so we're all clear here were terrible) "ruining" America. Which requires one to believe that the Kennedy and Johnson administrations were good. This means you approve of fabricating a reason to invade Vietnam, the atrocities in the following war, active opposition to the civil rights movement, and medical experimentation on minorities. Alternatively if the most recent "good" administration was the Clinton one than you're approving the bombing campaigns against Yugoslavia that basically just killed civilians.

edit: I really should have said "atrocities this particular liberal show pretends didn't happen or were really red team's fault".

Terrible Opinions has a new favorite as of 06:04 on Mar 5, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Which atrocities do liberals pretend didn't happen? I'm not trying to get in your face here, I am honestly bewildered.

I think The Newsroom is abject poo poo, by the way, so I agree with you on that point!

There's this weird marxist fascination with medieval villages, where nobody was alienated from the products of their labor and everyone was a meaningful, fully integrated part of the community and lived fully satisfied with tons of free time right up until they died of a burst appendix or plague.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

There's this weird marxist fascination with medieval villages, where nobody was alienated from the products of their labor and everyone was a meaningful, fully integrated part of the community and lived fully satisfied with tons of free time right up until they died of a burst appendix or plague.

the gently caress do american liberals have to to with marxism

e: the gently caress does this have to do with wikipedia

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

pull up thread pull up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_John

Each murder had common similarities which gave the police no doubts that the victims were the work of the same man. They had all met their killer at the Barrowland Ballroom. Their handbags were missing. They were all strangled with their stockings and raped. All three were escorted home by the killer and murdered within yards of their doorstep, all had been menstruating at the time and all three had sanitary napkins or tampons placed on or near the bodies.[6][9]

-------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(elephant)

A veterinarian examined Mary after the hanging and determined that she had a severely infected tooth in the precise spot where Red Eldridge had prodded her

-------------------------
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_de_Moivre#Later_years
De Moivre continued studying the fields of probability and mathematics until his death in 1754 and several additional papers were published after his death. As he grew older, he became increasingly lethargic and needed longer sleeping hours. He noted that he was sleeping an extra 15 minutes each night and correctly calculated the date of his death as the day when the sleep time reached 24 hours, November 27, 1754.[6] He died in London and his body was buried at St Martin-in-the-Fields, although his body was later moved.

------------------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicada_3301
Cicada 3301 is a name given to an enigmatic organization that on three occasions has posted a set of complex puzzles to recruit capable cryptanalysts from the public

------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_time_hypothesis

The phantom time hypothesis is a historical conspiracy theory advanced by German historian and publisher Heribert Illig (born 1947) which proposes that the year 613 was followed by the year 911 and that historical events between AD 614 and 911 in the Early Middle Ages of Europe and neighbouring regions are either wrongly dated, or did not occur at all, and that there has been a systematic effort to cover up that fact.

----------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_familial_exterminations
The nine familial exterminations or nine kinship exterminations ... was the most serious punishment for a capital offense in Ancient China.[1][2][3] Typically associated with offenses such as treason, the punishment involved the execution of all relatives of an individual, which were categorized into nine groups.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
The dreaded torture method of Lingchi ("Death by a Thousand Cuts") was only banned in 1905

wiki-puh-deyah posted:

Lingchi was reserved for crimes viewed as especially severe, such as treason, or killing one's parents. The process involved tying the condemned prisoner to a wooden frame, usually in a public place. The flesh was then cut from the body in multiple slices in a process that was not specified in detail in Chinese law, and therefore most likely varied.

In later times, opium was sometimes administered either as an act of mercy or as a way of preventing fainting. The punishment worked on three levels: as a form of public humiliation, as a slow and lingering death, and as a punishment after death.

wikipedia posted:

In the Yuan dynasty, one hundred cuts were inflicted but by the Ming dynasty there were records of three thousand incisions. It is described as a fast process lasting no longer than fifteen to twenty minutes.

Nope. Nope nope nope.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

I knew the expression but for some reason I never made the connection to it being an execution method. Yikes.

All I can imagine now is someone turning your non-vital areas into something resembling Hasselback potatoes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mojo Threepwood posted:

A defense company called Temporal Defense Systems was interested

A company called Temporal Defense Systems setting up shop in a spooky building where horrible things happened sounds like the set-up to some sci-fi horror game.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

Wedemeyer posted:

pull up thread pull up

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Gibfender posted:

I knew the expression but for some reason I never made the connection to it being an execution method. Yikes.

All I can imagine now is someone turning your non-vital areas into something resembling Hasselback potatoes

The article mentioned photos from 1904-1905 taken by French soldiers and turns out they are entirely GIS'able :stare: You are not too far off.

Mazzatello was a new one for me.

Wikipedia posted:

Mazzatello (abbreviated mazza) was a method of capital punishment used by the Papal States from the late 18th century to 1870.[1][2] The method was named after the implement used in the execution: a large, long-handled mallet or pole-ax.[1]

The condemned would be led to a scaffold in a public square of Rome, accompanied by a priest (the confessor of the condemned[2]); the platform also contained a coffin and the masked executioner, dressed in black.[1] A prayer would first be said for the condemned's soul.[2] Then, the mallet would be raised, swung through the air to gain momentum, and then brought down on the head of the prisoner, similar to a contemporary method of slaughtering cattle in stockyards.[1] The condemned was usually knocked unconscious[3] rather than being killed instantly, so the throat of the prisoner would then be slit with a knife.[1][4]

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bushmeister posted:

The article mentioned photos from 1904-1905 taken by French soldiers and turns out they are entirely GIS'able :stare: You are not too far off.

It's kind of weird to me that smacking someone in the head with a mallet is considered "one of the most brutal methods of execution ever devised" when it's contemporary to a large number of countries outside of Europe using impalement as an official execution method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impalement

The wiki article used to be more detailed in how impalement worked a few years ago so you can dig back through the edit archives if you want. But for the squeamish, let's just say that an execution method where the victim has a spear driven through most of their body and yet still survives long enough for thirst to become more of a complaint than the pain is going to rank far higher than getting knocked out in one blow by a hammer :stare:

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

BattleMaster posted:

It's kind of weird to me that smacking someone in the head with a mallet is considered "one of the most brutal methods of execution ever devised" when it's contemporary to a large number of countries outside of Europe using impalement as an official execution method.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impalement

The wiki article used to be more detailed in how impalement worked a few years ago so you can dig back through the edit archives if you want. But for the squeamish, let's just say that an execution method where the victim has a spear driven through most of their body and yet still survives long enough for thirst to become more of a complaint than the pain is going to rank far higher than getting knocked out in one blow by a hammer :stare:

Agreed 100%, though the bit about requiring no skill from the executioner makes me think that more than one supposed one-shot brainings resembled Jack Ketch more than a clean death.

I so want to believe the account of Ketch being so poo poo at killing someone with an axe that he actually had to write an apology pamphlet for it. In the 1600's.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Bushmeister posted:

Considering that was how Sacred Bulls were supposed to be killed during Roman times it sounds to me like there had been a bit of continuity in the Papal States.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, impalement or crucifixion sounds a lot worse than getting your head Gallagher'ed.

Compared to contemporary methods (and honestly, some modern methods) of execution, the guillotine looks rather humane and painless, if gruesome.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, impalement or crucifixion sounds a lot worse than getting your head Gallagher'ed.

Compared to contemporary methods (and honestly, some modern methods) of execution, the guillotine looks rather humane and painless, if gruesome.

That was literally the point of it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

canyoneer posted:

The whole reason the guillotine (as we know it now) was created was actually because a man by the name of Joseph-Ignace Guillotin began lobbying for capital punishment reform, which among other things was an attempt to make the method more humane.

Of course after the whole Reign of Terror thing, he really regretted his association with the thing to the point that his family changed their name.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Kimmalah posted:

The whole reason the guillotine (as we know it now) was created was actually because a man by the name of Joseph-Ignace Guillotin began lobbying for capital punishment reform, which among other things was an attempt to make the method more humane.

Of course after the whole Reign of Terror thing, he really regretted his association with the thing to the point that his family changed their name.

I love how 'capital punishment reform' is not a question of getting rid of capital punishment, just making it less gruesome so that people would accept it more easily, especially when done in mass quantities.

Good thing we've developed in the last few centuries to be above this kind of-

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nitrogen-gas-executions-approved-oklahoma-house-29354885

well poo poo.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Abugadu posted:

I love how 'capital punishment reform' is not a question of getting rid of capital punishment, just making it less gruesome so that people would accept it more easily, especially when done in mass quantities.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nitrogen-gas-executions-approved-oklahoma-house-29354885

well poo poo.

I mean, supposedly that's one of the cleanest ways to go, no panic response from your body, you just gradually lose consciousness. Unfortunately,

quote:

Rep. Kevin Matthews, who voted against the bill, said he wished the Legislature would spend more time trying to solve such problems as low wages, a lack of affordable health care and poor education outcomes.

"I just don't have the stomach for looking for new ways to kill people," said Matthews, a Tulsa Democrat.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Which reminds me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillotine

quote:

Audiences to guillotinings told numerous stories of blinking eyelids, speaking, moving eyes, movement of the mouth, even an expression of "unequivocal indignation" on the face of the decapitated Charlotte Corday when her cheek was slapped.

The following report was written by a Dr. Beaurieux, who experimented with the head of a condemned prisoner by the name of Henri Languille, on 28 June 1905:

Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds. This phenomenon has been remarked by all those finding themselves in the same conditions as myself for observing what happens after the severing of the neck ...
I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased. [...] It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: "Languille!" I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions – I insist advisedly on this peculiarity – but with an even movement, quite distinct and normal, such as happens in everyday life, with people awakened or torn from their thoughts.
Next Languille's eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves. I was not, then, dealing with the sort of vague dull look without any expression, that can be observed any day in dying people to whom one speaks: I was dealing with undeniably living eyes which were looking at me. After several seconds, the eyelids closed again [...].
It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. Then there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement – and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead.[29]

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

North Korea's there to one up things.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/02/north-koreas-horrors-as-shown-by-one-defectors-drawings/283899/

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
A long-rear end time ago (early in this thread, or maybe a previous one?) somebody recommended My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf. I was really interested but forgot about the whole thing. The other day my eyes caught a copy at the local library. After leafing through it I brought it home and devoured the whole book in a couple hours.

It's a graphic novel memoir written by a guy who went to high school with Jeffrey Dahmer. Not just a classmate, he hung out with Dahmer at school. Backderf and his group of friends could always tell that something wasn't right about Dahmer, but the story paints him as "that weird kid" in school who disappeared from the map after graduation. It doesn't detail the murders that Dahmer is famous for; the entire book takes place before he went off the deep end. Everything is corroborated with multiple sources. Every page is written based on memories from those who were part of the "Dahmer Fan Club" in school as well as Dahmer's confessions and interviews to fill in the twisted and awful world the guy was stuck in. There are several parts that would have had me busting out laughing if I was in school with Dahmer. Looking back on it all must be haunting to those involved. Anyone who likes this thread should give it a read.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Nckdictator posted:

North Korea's there to one up things.

I remember reading an interview with an ex-pat NK guy who had worked as one of those guards. The conditions they lived in were truly terrible and the things they're ordered to do to prisoners is inhumane. I wish I could remember the guys name because his escape was pretty epic. He said he couldn't even say goodbye to his parents, not because it would keep them safe from interrogation but because he was pretty sure they were going to be interrogated anyway and he didn't want them to have anything to tell the authorities. What a hosed up place to live.

Wikipedia tax:

Krokodil: The Russian "Hillbilly Heroin" which rots your skin off

Krokodil is the street name for Illicitly produced Desomorphine, taken intravenously. With more, here's reporter on the scene Wiki Pedia:

Wikipedia posted:

Illicitly produced desomorphine typically contains large amounts of toxic substances as a result of being "cooked" and used without any significant effort to remove the byproducts and leftovers from synthesis. Injecting any such mixture can cause serious damage of the skin, blood vessels, bone and muscles, sometimes requiring limb amputation in long-term users. Causes of this damage are from iodine and phosphorus (and other toxic substances) that are present after synthesis. The large volume of tissue damage/infection is what gained the drug its nickname of the flesh-eating drug...

...Sometimes, the user will miss the vein when injecting the desomorphine, creating abscess and causing death of the flesh surrounding the entry-point.

As always, here's Vice with more:
:nws:: :nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsUH8llvTZo

I'd put pictures in but again I'm a Garbage Dick newbie and don't want to break goon law. You can google image search for them if you really want to :barf:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Lmao if you think SA didn't even have its very own krokodil thread where wasters used the drug and advocated it to others

e: oh you were just talking about the pics, yeah Krok is some hosed up poo poo

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 11:06 on Mar 6, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Abugadu posted:

well poo poo.

Yeah it's not exactly ideal, but keep in mind that at the time Louis XVI had only just banned the use of the breaking wheel as a form of punishment. So you take what you can get I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Abugadu posted:

From what I've read it was supposed to be a satire / Modest Proposal. "You like chopping people's heads off so much, why don't you build this machine to do it more efficiently?". And the revolutionary leaders were "Excellent. We'll take ten."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Lmao if you think SA didn't even have its very own krokodil thread where wasters used the drug and advocated it to others

I'm pretty sure this is bullshit.

Wasn't krokodil a hoax? I remember hearing the whole thing was made up.