Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I think you solved it.

Looks like we just have lovely Hasbro reprints :(

I mean they're very playable but bleh.

Just imagine the card art for every card was done by the same guy that did the Harem illustration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Sloober posted:

Just imagine the card art for every card was done by the same guy that did the Harem illustration.

The Harem card is an improvement because it's harder to see now.

e: I got Prosperity from Cardhaus with my tax return and it comes in tomorrow, very interested to see which version I get.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Look at the current BGG top 25 and then compare it to the BGG top 25 of 2006. The impact of thematic games is certainly being felt throughout the hobby.

2006 top 25

Sure there are some that are still with us, but even as I don't care for thematics much or co-ops, I think the more diversity in the popular selections, the better off the hobby will be in attracting more people.

God, don't make me feel old.

Nine years ago the BGG community was much more straitlaced and up itself. The site was still quite new, everyone wanted gaming to be taken very seriously. Euros were worshipped, Ameritrash was despised, and gently caress Magic: the Gathering - no collectible poo poo here! It's improved immeasurably since then.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll never say no to stores that want to sell Magic cards because everybody has to make a living.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've never actually seen store staff at a FLGC that knew poo poo about board games beyond "this just came out and a lot of people bought it," they all just play Magic and minis stuff, but apparently this is atypical. But yeah obviously the store itself needs to sell that stuff to exist on the current models.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wowowow thanks for all the advice and girlfriend-friendly game recommendations!

A lot of people think I should just get Pandemic, then there's Ticket to Ride (which I've never played and looks fun), then there's Takenoko (which I have played on BGA). I also forgot to mention that she was interested in Tokaido.

I will look into Flash Point and Sushi Go as I know next to nothing about them. I have never played Galaxy Trucker but it looks too messy for her to get into. Forbidden Desert comes highly recommended, but it looked quite boring on TableTop (I'm also Texan and not too attracted to dust and heat).

Funso Banjo posted:

She sounds like my wife.

No matter what, she just doesn't like board games. She says one or two look cool, but then has no interest in actually sitting and learning, or playing the games. She says she does, but when it comes time to commit some time or concentration, then she doesn't feel like it.

I've given up, she's not going to enjoy gaming. I think it's because her job and main hobby is pretty energetic (she's a horse rider at work and at home) and she finds it hard to get into things that are more relaxed and involve not moving around too much.

This was my worst fear! It took a lot of cajoling to get the first two games going. But at least she's shown a bit of interest and has admitted to liking ParkerHasbros games.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Countblanc posted:

I've never actually seen store staff at a FLGC that knew poo poo about board games beyond "this just came out and a lot of people bought it," they all just play Magic and minis stuff, but apparently this is atypical. But yeah obviously the store itself needs to sell that stuff to exist on the current models.

Around here we have one store that is primarily a board game and puzzle store aimed at educational stuff and children- they also sell Magic, but not Warhammer, and they are very knowledgeable about board games and puzzles.

Everywhere else is like you described - mostly vectors for Magic and GW product, who also sell board games because they come from the same distributor.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I have been upsold on Arkham Horror in every single board game store I have entered in the Chicago area. If it weren't for this thread I probably would have a copy of Arkham on my shelf and no other games because I would have immediately concluded that board games are trash.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Frijolero posted:

A lot of people think I should just get Pandemic, then there's Ticket to Ride (which I've never played and looks fun), then there's Takenoko (which I have played on BGA). I also forgot to mention that she was interested in Tokaido.

I will look into Flash Point and Sushi Go as I know next to nothing about them. I have never played Galaxy Trucker but it looks too messy for her to get into. Forbidden Desert comes highly recommended, but it looked quite boring on TableTop (I'm also Texan and not too attracted to dust and heat).

This was my worst fear! It took a lot of cajoling to get the first two games going. But at least she's shown a bit of interest and has admitted to liking ParkerHasbros games.

Splendor is a great one as well for those gun-shy on gaming. Its got high quality, pretty components, a simple rule set. I can't evaluate the "fun" statement outside of saying that I know plenty of people, including myself who quite enjoy the game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Frijolero posted:

If you think you'd like pandemic, then you'd like forbidden desert more. It's basically the same mechanics as pandemic, but much more thematic and pretty. Sell it like you're both Indiana jones trying to discover an ancient flying machine (cause that's the lore almost verbatim)

Also it's only $20 to pandemics $35, and it supports up to 5 out of the box.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

God, don't make me feel old.

Nine years ago the BGG community was much more straitlaced and up itself. The site was still quite new, everyone wanted gaming to be taken very seriously. Euros were worshipped, Ameritrash was despised, and gently caress Magic: the Gathering - no collectible poo poo here! It's improved immeasurably since then.

What are you talking about Die Macher if defiantly the 7th best game in existence and something everyone would find really engaging.

Lord Frisk posted:

If you think you'd like pandemic, then you'd like forbidden desert more. It's basically the same mechanics as pandemic, but much more thematic and pretty. Sell it like you're both Indiana jones trying to discover an ancient flying machine (cause that's the lore almost verbatim)

Also it's only $20 to pandemics $35, and it supports up to 5 out of the box.

Seconding this opinion, Forbidden Desert comes with a cool toy sandship that you have to build to complete the game. It's not important mechanically at all, they just put it in there to be cool.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 2, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

As long as Twilight Struggle is #1 on BGG the list can do no wrong.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Frijolero posted:

FWIW Tabletop got the rules to Forbidden Desert wrong and made the game trivially easy for themselves. Don't rely on them to give you a decent idea of how a game plays, because they'll go as far as to play with asinine house rules. About the only use of Tabletop is to get non-gamer nerds and quasi-normies interested in board games, then hit a wall of frustration as they end up wanting to just play lovely games like Munchkin, Last Night On Earth, and Fortune & Glory forever because it's Just Fun and they saw it on Tabletop.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 2, 2015

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deathlove posted:

There's four levels of difficulty cards, from basic-Pictionary-level to good-luck-with-all-this, and everyone's on the same level at the same time, because you can't control what card you draw off of. We had six players, so we had six cards up. Each card has seven items on it. You get dealt two cards, one with a number on it, and one telling you what card you're drawing off of, so, like, I'd get A-1, telling me I'd be drawing on the A card, line 1. Nobody else would be on Card A, or on Line 1 (so you have that advantage of knowing that as you try to guess what other people are drawing). You also have a set of numbers 1-7 to use as "guessing cards" so that when you guess what line someone is drawing, you stack it in front of them.

You're given five tokens with stars on them (for six players - 3 stars, 2 stars, 3 with 1 star, fewer people get fewer stars). People want to guess what you're drawing quickly, because the first person to guess right gets the three star, second person gets the two star, so on. You want them to guess correctly because any of those tokens you're holding at the end of scoring ends up counting against you. And at the same time, you're looking at everyone else's boards trying to guess what they're drawing so you can get their three-star tokens. There's also a set of star tokens in the center of the table so that when you're done guessing/drawing, you grab the highest value out there (Galaxy Trucker-style), but, if you're the wrong that has the most wrong guesses in the round, it actually counts against you.

So, you can not draw or guess anything, get the three star bonus, but since nobody'll guess at yours, you'll still be holding your 3-2-1-1-1 star tokens, losing you eight points at the end, for a sum of -5 for the round. Nor can you just randomly throw out your numbers to people to grab the three-star bonus, because you'll end up as the "black sheep" with the most wrong answers, and it'll become a -3-star. You need to draw well enough for people to get it, and also be able to narrow down what everyone else is doing (ie. you know you're on Card A, you guessed other people on B/C/D, so this guy must be on E or F, then you know what lines have also been done, so you can narrow it down, unless you hosed up before, in which case....).

Like I said, Vlaada-esque "OK, shut up, we'll just figure it out," then after one round, everything just clicks and it's like whoa.

Is it good tactics to be very quiet during play then? I am sure like Pictionary you're forbidden to say what your thing is but unlike Pictionary the game keeps going after the first right guess comes in. Can you say "that's right/wrong" when a guess comes in? Triggering a dash from other people to submit cards if you said "right?" I have been mega-excited for Pictomania but I was hoping for something with the same level of energetic talk in the room as Pictionary or Space Alert.

Also, is there a hard timer on play rounds?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

They put their guesses face down, and no you can't tell people what yours is. The time limit is that eventually people will use all their guesses and take the tokens in the middle and then the round end, I have never ever heard of anyone complaining of AP in that game.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
So it's rather quiet?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I watched part of that dice tower vid from rutibex's screenshot and I laughed pretty hard at the dude who thinks 18xx is barely a game because the decision space is too complex for him to grasp.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

StashAugustine posted:

As long as Twilight Struggle is #1 on BGG the list can do no wrong.

But Earth Reborn is out of the top 100...beaten by Dead of Winter. So, uh, ugh.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

Frijolero posted:

I've been trying to find a game that my girlfriend would like. She refuses to play Agricola (Family mode) because "there's too much going on." Her three criteria for a board game are Simple, Pretty, and Fun. She also wants something with cool components and player tokens and something with a modern setting. I also highly doubt she would be into card-heavy games.

I wanted her to like Castles of Mad King soo bad, but that failed. She insists there's too much happening :smith:. I don't know if she's simply not able to get into board games or if I am going about it the wrong way. At least she seemed to like Pandemic when she saw it on Tabletop. So I'm thinking something like Pandemic, but for reason I am not personally drawn to it.

Any suggestions?

Splendor, love letter, machi koro, and tokaido are really good, simple, pretty games. They aren't all in a modern setting though. I've yet to play with anyone I've introudced splendor to that doesn't love the components, and it's simple enough for anyone to enjoy.

Huntsekker fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 3, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Noaloha posted:

Reading through the BGG thread you mentioned, it's looking increasingly likely that any issues of print quality with Dominion is due to their production being based out of Hasbro now.

EDIT: as an aside, I'm trying to get on BGG now and I keep getting a redirect to a "Your user account is not permitted to perform that action." message. I only joined the forum this morning so I'm not sure how things go there. Is there a problem with the users end of the site at the moment, or have I been blackballed, or?
EDIT2: ignore the above; logging out and logging back in seems to have fixed stuff

Donald Vaccarino is responding now: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/18505820#18505820

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

SuperKlaus posted:

Is it good tactics to be very quiet during play then? I am sure like Pictionary you're forbidden to say what your thing is but unlike Pictionary the game keeps going after the first right guess comes in. Can you say "that's right/wrong" when a guess comes in? Triggering a dash from other people to submit cards if you said "right?" I have been mega-excited for Pictomania but I was hoping for something with the same level of energetic talk in the room as Pictionary or Space Alert.

Also, is there a hard timer on play rounds?

Dude, it's SUPER AWESOME. Part of the thrill is that you only get 1 guess per picture, and that wouldn't work if guesses weren't submitted secretly as they are. There's no timer, either; everything's relative and it works really elegantly.

Pictomania is really tight design-wise. You need to draw quickly, you need to draw accurately, you need to guess accurately, you need to guess before everybody else does, and you need to finish everything first. However, none of this is required by the rules, it's simply incentivized by the scoring system. You only score correct guesses, and you score more if they were before your opponents' correct guesses. You score points for people guessing your art correctly. You get bonus points for finishing everything first. Finally, the round ends not when the final person is done but when the penultimate person is done, so there's still the pressure of being unable to finish but without requiring a physical timer. Game rounds don't have people shouting nouns over and over in a mess of psychosis, but there is a torrent of expletives that erupt from people drawing poorly, being forced to depict abstract concepts without depicting their near-synonyms, having their guesses intercepted by terrible interpretations of artwork, and so on. And on top of all this? The game's fast and easy to teach. Since all the heavy lifting is done by the scoring system, new players can more quickly dive into the meat grinder.

Pictomania is everything I wanted and more.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cross-posting this from the online board games thread:

Mega64 posted:

Found a playable version of Temporum being worked on over at the Dominion Strategy forums. Interface is pretty bad right now (you have to hover over a card/zone to actually read text), but it seems to work alright.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Dude, it's SUPER AWESOME. Part of the thrill is that you only get 1 guess per picture, and that wouldn't work if guesses weren't submitted secretly as they are. There's no timer, either; everything's relative and it works really elegantly.

Pictomania is really tight design-wise. You need to draw quickly, you need to draw accurately, you need to guess accurately, you need to guess before everybody else does, and you need to finish everything first. However, none of this is required by the rules, it's simply incentivized by the scoring system. You only score correct guesses, and you score more if they were before your opponents' correct guesses. You score points for people guessing your art correctly. You get bonus points for finishing everything first. Finally, the round ends not when the final person is done but when the penultimate person is done, so there's still the pressure of being unable to finish but without requiring a physical timer. Game rounds don't have people shouting nouns over and over in a mess of psychosis, but there is a torrent of expletives that erupt from people drawing poorly, being forced to depict abstract concepts without depicting their near-synonyms, having their guesses intercepted by terrible interpretations of artwork, and so on. And on top of all this? The game's fast and easy to teach. Since all the heavy lifting is done by the scoring system, new players can more quickly dive into the meat grinder.

Pictomania is everything I wanted and more.

Dammit I hate party games and I played Pictomania and liked it well enough but didn't love it, and now you're making me want to play it again. It joins Dixit as the only other game in the category "party games I'm actually happy to play", though.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
My copy of Dungeon Lords anniv. Edition finally showed up. I didn't even get a shipping notice so it was a pleasant surprise on a Monday night. I do wish they'd included a copy of what I was supposed to get as a backer though, but nor a big deal since I can look it up.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Sloober posted:

My copy of Dungeon Lords anniv. Edition finally showed up. I didn't even get a shipping notice so it was a pleasant surprise on a Monday night. I do wish they'd included a copy of what I was supposed to get as a backer though, but nor a big deal since I can look it up.

Isn't there a manual just for kickstarter backers? There was in mine.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I keep buying new games but I find that I mostly just want to play Agricola all the time. What's wrong with me?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

EvilChameleon posted:

I keep buying new games but I find that I mostly just want to play Agricola all the time. What's wrong with me?

Agricolitis. It's chronic and fatal, but slow and largely painless. I wouldn't worry too much.

If you really want out, a Caverna patch might help you break through.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Describes my wife perfectly :3:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EvilChameleon posted:

I can empathize; I'm looking at my shelf now and I see stacks of wonderful games, beautiful boxes with great ideas crammed into every component.

But I'm pretty sure I'd be content just playing Yomi and Keyflower every day forever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I can empathize; I'm looking at my shelf now and I see stacks of wonderful games, beautiful boxes with great ideas crammed into every component.

But I'm pretty sure I'd be content just playing Yomi and Keyflower every day forever.

I don't get the love for Keyflower. It's not a bad game by any stretch, but even at four turns it can go on way too long sometimes. Our last six player game took about two and a half hours, and nobody was AP-prone. I much prefer Vladimir (Last Will) Suchy's League of Six; it uses similar bidding for control of the cities, but it feels much more streamlined and has some very nice mechanisms for balancing. Five player games take 90 minutes tops.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Play Keyflower 2 player and you will see.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Jeez are there that many medium weight euros with as much going on as Keyflower that play in less than two and a half hours with six players?? That seems like an outstandingly quick game for that genre/complexity level.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dishwasherlove posted:

Play Keyflower 2 player and you will see.

Nobody ever plays two player games at game nights. It's why I don't own Twilight Struggle.

Medium weight games that play six handed in two hours: Viticulture springs to mind, as does Euphoria. Hyperborea, Eclipse and Historia play in 150-180 for six, but there's a lot more than four turns in those games. 30+ minutes per turn should only belong to heavy games.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Describing it as having four turns is a little disingenuous.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

Isn't there a manual just for kickstarter backers? There was in mine.

That's possible, I didn't get a chance to delve into it much yet, and won't be until Saturday when I start punching stuff out and setting the box up. I still have to learn to play it, too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
What had me hosed up unpacking Dungeon Lords Anniversary is there are components for other CGE games thrown in the box, and no insert diagram or documentation on what goes where, so if you have no idea how to play yet (as I didn't at the time) you just have to puzzle through and assume everything that doesn't fit in the insert is not for this game.

One of those other CGE games is Dungeon Petz though so you mighy think that is DL stuff.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I noticed those right away and took out the new Petz and put them in my Petz box. Luckily I kept all my extra egg spindles because I didn't see any additional ones in the box.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

EvilChameleon posted:

But the opposite of something wrong is going on? :confused:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Sloober posted:

I noticed those right away and took out the new Petz and put them in my Petz box. Luckily I kept all my extra egg spindles because I didn't see any additional ones in the box.

Yeah, the stuff for Tzolkin (I think?) and some steampunk game were obvious, but since I don't have Petz I had no idea the eggs weren't for DL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, the stuff for Tzolkin (I think?) and some steampunk game were obvious, but since I don't have Petz I had no idea the eggs weren't for DL.

Last Will is not steampunk, sometimes a top hat is just a top hat.

One Dungeon Lords question: there's a circular sticker with the icon from the back of the Pets Cards which I couldn't find a place for. Where does it go?