Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Forums Terrorist posted:

i had to wiki who they are

lmao

go listen to little lion man and then you'll go "oh, those fuckers"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they basically took up the reigns of current hipster band from vampire weekend except they're really loving terrible

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

one good thing about being an old is that you can finally stop pretending to care about any music outside of the tiny niches you already like

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

folk rock, the whitest and most middle class of all genres

a bunch of James Taylors with bad teeth.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

qirex posted:

one good thing about being an old is that you can finally stop pretending to care about any music outside of the tiny niches you already like

music as a shared interest becomes irrelevant after the age of like 21 or 22

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

was wondering why every burrito place in soma has a line out the door at 2pm and saw the GDC badges everywhere. as if we don't already have enough nerds around

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

when i'm ik this word will be probate-on-sight

Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

90% of music-liking up until that point is trying to get someone to gently caress you, anyway.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

triple sulk posted:

they basically took up the reigns of current hipster band from vampire weekend except they're really loving terrible

idk if im not explaining this or what but mumford and sons is as mainstream as you can get, idt they were ever hipster in the us

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i still enjoy new music and interesting things, do not let the creeping menace overtake

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
this is garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feK1daXtTNw&t=259s

these guys have no idea what the gently caress rock music is

lmao at that transition

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and of course theyre one of those bands where the drummer sings

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Jonny 290 posted:

and of course theyre one of those bands where the drummer sings

do you have something against genesis

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

go listen to little lion man and then you'll go "oh, those fuckers"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E

lol nah

i live in holland, where terrible rotterdam techno and 20 year old american pop music is all that you hear on the radio

triple sulk posted:

music as a shared interest becomes irrelevant after the age of like 21 or 22

no, it just becomes something that's like a conversation topic or whatever

just don't care so much and you're good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that dude's enthusiasm for the words coming out of his mouth and the notes coming off his fingers are right at boring-saturday-at-community-service-for-shoplifting levels

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex posted:

pono_top_music.png

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Forums Terrorist posted:

folk rock, the whitest and most middle class of all genres

where does prog rock fall on the whitebread spectrum

Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

i still enjoy new music and interesting things, do not let the creeping menace overtake

I enjoy music I haven't experienced before, which means plumbing back catalogs and classics.

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

that dude's enthusiasm for the words coming out of his mouth and the notes coming off his fingers are right at boring-saturday-at-community-service-for-shoplifting levels

lol

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

I enjoy music I haven't experienced before, which means plumbing back catalogs and classics.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

where does prog rock fall on the whitebread spectrum

somewhere between wearing tweed as formalwear and calling your local takeaway "the chinky"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Forums Terrorist posted:

terrible rotterdam techno

I've never understood how this is still a thing, I remember hearing rotterdam tapes in like 1994 and it sounds almost the exact same 20 years later

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

I've never understood how this is still a thing, I remember hearing rotterdam tapes in like 1994 and it sounds almost the exact same 20 years later

dont gently caress up a good deal

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

wrong

it's a thing because dutch people are unfathomably, terminally boring

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm just impressed it's lasted that long although I guess SF is coming up on 25 years of having a boring-kinda-disco-ey house scene

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

*puts mayo on fries, turns up song consisting entirely of distorted bass drum* ja, dit ben de goed poo poo!!!!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

at least ireland has the excuse of basically being west poland

Apr 7, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

wrong

it's a thing because dutch people are unfathomably, terminally boring

Dutch people are the tallest in the world.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

thought that was the swedish or w/e

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

I'm just impressed it's lasted that long although I guess SF is coming up on 25 years of having a boring-kinda-disco-ey house scene

i respect the contributions of the midtempo 4 on the floor crew but they have been up their own rear end for like 25, 30 years

if you dont have an encyclopedic knowledge of techno and house from 1991 to present andknow All The Important DJs By First And Last Name Because Serious DJs Use Their First And Last Name its just impenetrablen

its worse with these genres than other stuff imo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
this rotterdam techno is some good poo poo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Citizen Tayne posted:

Dutch people are the tallest in the world.

evolutionary adaptation due to risk of floods

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what sucked was going to parties where a literal breakbeat wizard would be playing all sorts of rad stuff and people are literally bouncing off the walls then at 2 here comes [jeno/garth/mark farina/one of those other dudes] for 4-6 hours of slightly swung snare drums

later on the scene got big enough to support single genre parties but it was all over the place for a while

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

what sucked was going to parties where a literal breakbeat wizard would be playing all sorts of rad stuff and people are literally bouncing off the walls then at 2 here comes [jeno/garth/mark farina/one of those other dudes] for 4-6 hours of slightly swung snare drums

this was little rock in 2000. OH MY GOD DJ DAN IS GOING TO BE THERE??!?!?!??!YAAAAAy

girl who the gently caress is dj dan and why are you not freaking out over planet of the drums backing up loxy and ink in the jungle room, jesus CHRIST

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
haha you guys Mumford is trash and so r their fans...... relax

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

way [waaaaaaaaaaaaaay] back I saw dj lime come on right after dj dan it was hilarious because it was this chill bay crowd and tons of weed smoke then this guy comes on playing trip to the moon and poo poo and the whole place went bananas but there was this 2 minute part at the beginning where everyone was trying to figure out how to react

e: I can't hate dj dan because he worked on loose caboose though

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
canadian indie folk is the definition of pitchfork music

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fleet foxes maybe

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I like every kind of music except rap and country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

actually that's not true my favorite thing is 90s industrial and techno stuff like in my japanese video game soundtracks and .mod files

• Locked thread