Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
RBA meeting tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Q&A is like Question Time that only consist of Dorothy Dixers and self congratulating political commentators.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The only people dumber than those on Q&A are those watching it

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
I have unironically enjoyed firstdog on occasion (hi yes I am an auspol shitlord), but the data retention comic is godawful and a perfect example of the usual criticism directed at it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Three people dead in shooting at house near Toowoomba
Updated 12 minutes ago

MAP: Toowoomba 4350
Three people are dead following a shooting at a house on the Darling Downs, west of Brisbane.

It is understood police were called to the property in Biddeston, near Toowoomba, by paramedics at 6:55pm.

Officers then waited for back up before entering the building.

"I can confirm three people are dead from gunshot wounds," a Queensland Police Media spokesman told ABC News.

"There is no immediate threat to anyone in the area."

Police will remain at the scene through the night.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Gough Suppressant posted:

The only people dumber than those on Q&A are those watching it

remember that time Slavoj Zizek was on it

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Three people dead in shooting at house near Toowoomba
Updated 12 minutes ago

MAP: Toowoomba 4350
Three people are dead following a shooting at a house on the Darling Downs, west of Brisbane.

It is understood police were called to the property in Biddeston, near Toowoomba, by paramedics at 6:55pm.

Officers then waited for back up before entering the building.

"I can confirm three people are dead from gunshot wounds," a Queensland Police Media spokesman told ABC News.

"There is no immediate threat to anyone in the area."

Police will remain at the scene through the night.

ASIO drops the ball on terrorism again.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

If only they had the metadata.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

efb

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Lid posted:

remember that time Slavoj Zizek was on it

I actually forgot about that and that was legit good, along with the episodes that have been outside Australia.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Turnbull is their best bet IMO as long as they're willing to let him throw the nation a couple of centrist bones to buy the rest of their policy package (and I don't think they will because of aforementioned sleepwalking cowardice and incompetence).

The alternative they might latch onto would be someone like Morrison with full-on nationalistic headstomping, which scares me in part because I'm afraid it could feasibly work.

Yeah they can't contemplate giving Turnbull another go. He's horrible anyway, and it would be an unstable situation because they would make him beholden to them and sooner or later they'd shaft him again when they felt safer. And this is why Morrison is being watched because the base LOVE him and that's the right faction of the rightwing faction you mentioned, and the danger with him is that when he feels safe he's an utter arsehole. He's only being nice now because he needs a win or two and he doesn't intend to stay in Social Services longer than he has to.

edit: BTW do keep up the whining about FDOTM, it will encourage Tink to post it every day and infuriate you, morons.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 2, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

I actually forgot about that and that was legit good, along with the episodes that have been outside Australia.

Pretty much. Like most things in Australia it's politicians that usually screw it up.

... also possibly Australians.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

ewe2 posted:

Yeah they can't contemplate giving Turnbull another go. He's horrible anyway, and it would be an unstable situation because they would make him beholden to them and sooner or later they'd shaft him again when they felt safer. And this is why Morrison is being watched because the base LOVE him and that's the right faction of the rightwing faction you mentioned, and the danger with him is that when he feels safe he's an utter arsehole. He's only being nice now because he needs a win or two and he doesn't intend to stay in Social Services longer than he has to.

edit: BTW do keep up the whining about FDOTM, it will encourage Tink to post it every day and infuriate you, morons.

I don't think anybody is infuriated, it's a good way to get everybody on the same bandwagon and light-hearted. If we don't have common enemies to rail against we'll turn against each other. First dog and idiots like it are just easy targets for the bubbling rage that festers on every page

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
pernepple and bootroor, the eternal struggle

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
speaking of shitposting

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Christine Milne is sick of your poo poo.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

<----- :geno:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Screw It I can't take any more. I must declare my undying love for Peta Credlin

malmal
Jan 28, 2009

Nuclear Spy posted:

If you're talking about Adelaide Goonmeet tomorrow, based on my general experiences, Adelaide Goons (and SA Greens in general) are likely to be the chilled out dudes in the corner.

I'm gonna get to this tomorrow unless I poo poo the bed with work in the afternoon.

Also as a lurker, Fruity please post more.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I accidentaly saw some QandA and now I'm mad.

pray for my aunt fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 2, 2015

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Antlions posted:

I accidentaly saw some QandA and now I'm mad.

are you mad as hell though?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
what did mad as do this time?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Brandis being censured made me happy far beyond it had any right to.

Also I assume GSC is now Birb Katter, because that is amazing.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

hooman posted:

I think it's IslamoNazi?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mithranderp posted:

I think it's IslamoNazi?

It is.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

no im not that creative

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hooman posted:

I'm still hoping he doesn't repent his sins so the senate can then go the full excommunication.

BE GONE UNHOLY ONE!

Unfortunately the only member of parliament that can actually currently be excommunicated is Turnbull, when he becomes PM and drops that ministry. :rimshot:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

dr_rat posted:

Unfortunately the only member of parliament that can actually currently be excommunicated is Turnbull, when he becomes PM and drops that ministry. :rimshot:

:golfclap:

So last month's rate drop put my mortgage to the cheapest it's been, even below when everything was nuts back during the GFC. Yet this time around the market doesn't seem to be responding, probably because back then there was a huge upward pressure from stimulations like the first homeowners grant, free stamp duty, etc..

Does auspol think the government will continue to push the RBA to cut it to the bone? We've got a maximum of 2 years before the next election and surely Abbott's baby boomers must be beginning to feel the pinch on their investment properties given the market's not increased as they believed it should have over the last few years. Can we expect the next 12 months to bring some of that sweet sweet stimulation to keep the bubble going?

It feels to me like 18 months is just enoguh time for the whole 'soft housing prices' thing to start causing some angst amongst the baby boomers. Maybe I'm hopeful though.

edit: Would they even possess the testicular fortitude to hand out stimulation like that given the :siren: budget emergency :siren: ?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm an economic novice but I cannot see a logical, rational unwinding of our massive private debt problem. I think it will just be a crash, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth..

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nam Taf posted:

Does auspol think the government will continue to push the RBA to cut it to the bone? We've got a maximum of 2 years before the next election and surely Abbott's baby boomers must be beginning to feel the pinch on their investment properties given the market's not increased as they believed it should have over the last few years. Can we expect the next 12 months to bring some of that sweet sweet stimulation to keep the bubble going?

Heres an article that goes into this somewhat:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-economy/no-economic-benefit-in-further-surge-in-house-prices-economists-warn-rba-20150302-13ssey.html

Probably the most relevant part

quote:

House price inflation, particularly in Sydney, has presented the RBA with a conundrum: while sluggish growth, an overvalued dollar, relatively high unemployment and low business and consumer confidence make a compelling case for further easing, fears of inflating a property bubble have long weighed on its policy deliberations.

However, governor Glenn Stevens recently reiterated that his mandate to help create jobs and hold inflation down is Australia-wide, and not just for Sydneysiders.

Basically it seem if the Abbott goverment was looking someone to help keep the housing bubble inflated, the RBA probably wouldn't be interested as the head of the RBA is already a bit worried with its already high bubbly looking price rises. If it was more about deflating the bubble slowly then it seems like the RBA might help out if it could just to try and make sure it deflated, not popped.

Anyway with the private debt, main issue seems to be any measures that lower it, if it worked would probably just end up with people reinvesting what ever amount they measure just allowed them to pay off.
Which could be pretty good for the economy if they didn't just invest it back into housing. (which a lot of people totally would.)

Seems the best way to encourage less debt is to raise interest rates, but with the economy as weak as it is at the moment, and as you point out the number of people already struggling with their debts, it seems no one really has the stomach to do that.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Comstar posted:

QANDA first question: 1% of the world owns 48% of the wealth. How can fix that?
Random person who is on the show for some reason: I don't believe that figure, who said that?
QANDA first question: Credit Swisse.
Random person who is on the show for some reason who clearly didn't want to hear the answer: I don't believe that number means anything...

I stopped watching TV at that point.

In other news, I hope the ABC keeps showing Mad As Hell in their actual news segments.

Lid posted:

If it was a man it was Josh Frydenberg (assistant treasurer), if it was a woman it was Trisha Jha (from the Centre for Independent Studies libertarian think tank).

Edit: lol at this qanda profile
So which was it? I will not watch q&a and I need to know who said that.

e: does anybody have the text of Brandis whine to the senate yesterday about his censure? Gradian only had some quotes.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Tokamak posted:

Q&A is like Question Time that only consist of Dorothy Dixers and self congratulating political commentators.

Yeah I sure wouldn't want to participate in any discussion or forum like that

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The dumbest bubble in history

With warnings suddenly flying thick and fast, the history of bubbles has never seen the likes of what is unfolding in Australian property now.

Some bubbles have sprung from unlikely sources such as tulips. Others have inflated around bright ideas that held little reality such as the South Sea Company. In stock markets bubbles have certainly been destructive but equity can handle that and they have also left historic legacies of technological advancement. The Roaring Twenties was one, built upon expanding railroads. The millennial tech bubble was another, launching the internet.

On the other hand, history’s dumbest bubbles have all been in property prices. Pick your example – US, Ireland, UK, Spain – these leave nothing but economic waste in their wake. Banking systems are wrecked, savings are destroyed, and no lasting legacy is built in the real economy except an overhang of useless debt.

So what makes Australia’s current property bubble so unique? Three reasons.

First, no other property bubble has ever had such a clear warning in advance of its blowoff. Just six years ago, the world writhed as a multitude of property bubbles spectacularly imploded. We saw it and it scared the bejesus out of us. Yet here we are, well short of a half generation later doing exactly the same thing.

Second, we have only just had the same long term property bubble bailed out by the biggest mining boom in history. Post GFC we rebuilt denuded savings and reliquified banks as mining poured billions into projects and jobs, while international markets collapsed all around. The serendipity was gigantic, easily big enough not just to protect us from the GFC but to redefine the basis of the economy towards sustainable prosperity for generations. But instead of being grateful and prudent we succumbed to the hubris of exceptionalism.

Third, the deteriorating economic circumstances of the commodities bust that we currently face have been obvious for three whole years (if not all along). We knew the boom was narrowly based in China. We understood the magnitude of investment. We knew the size of the supply expansion. We knew prices were going to fall a long way. We knew a capex cliff was coming. But authorities did nothing to prepare for the end point except to deliberately reinflate a housing bubble supposedly to float us blithely over the carnage.

Certainly the history of capitalism has seen bigger bubbles than Australian property. There have been stranger bubbles too.

But none is more dumb.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2015/03/dumbest-bubble-history/

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The dumbest bubble is bitcoins. :colbert:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That site has been writing Australian property bubble stories for 5 years. They'll be right eventually!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Fruity Gordo posted:

The dumbest bubble is bitcoins. :colbert:

I call your bitcoin and raise you a tulip

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
The most valuable tulip that launched the tulip bubble is almost extinct now, bc the only way you get the streaks on it is by them catching a virus and you can't clone it or something. :( Rip historical comedy tulip cultivar.

MaxwellsEquations
Oct 21, 2010

He achieved greatness unequalled
-Max Planck
The take home message is to never protest against asylum seeker treatment, because even companies will gently caress you over

http://www.theage.com.au/national/qantas-passenger-banned-after-asylum-seeker-walkout-20150302-13svcn.html

quote:

Qantas has banned a Melbourne man from flying with them after he asked to be removed from a flight taking an asylum seeker from Melbourne to Darwin for deportation.
Four days later, having made it to Darwin with a different airline, the pair went to Darwin airport for their Qantas trip home to Melbourne.
Mr Leary said a Qantas manager told them they could not board their flight because they were subject to a no-fly ban and a security review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A national tragedy:

quote:

Palmer’s beloved dinosaur Jeff has been destroyed by fire just after midnight. It would appear 95% of the T-Rex is gone and police suggested Jeff could not be saved. They will be investigating the fire.

• Locked thread